Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 10/18/2018 Daily Thread

This topic contains 125 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Yahtzee 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 126 total)
  • Author

Rickkyboy
    Participant

Fvck, I’m tired.

Humphrey
    Participant

4:20 minutes to play the game.

16 free bases (12 walks and, considering no one was head-hunting, an incredible 4 HPBs). For a MLB game in this day and age, “only” 14 strikeouts.

Oh, and remember how Bob Montgomery, being an ex-catcher, would break down every passed ball and wild pitch to the n-th degree (and bore the shit out of the viewers in so doing)? If he was on TV now that’s all that he would be doing. There is one such play every inning it seems.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

I may sound like an idiot (actually remove May from that), but baseball needs to lose 40 regular season games and at least 45 minutes per game. This isn’t 1952. People got shit to do.

chicowalker
    Participant

I went to bed after JBJs hr.  They were either going to win or lose horribly at that point, didn’t need to see the latter.

RedSeat
    Participant

Disappointed to hear Pedro saying the interference call was clearly incorrect. Although it seemed like he wanted to call out Joe West and his stubbornness more than anything.

Of course I’m biased, but I think (1) the video was not conclusive, so per rule, the call on the field should stand and (2) if forced to choose , I’d lean towards yes, it was interference. Looking at two things. First, watch the slow-mo replay of Mookie after the contact. His momentum is still carrying him back to the wall. So while he is reaching backwards when contact is made, he is not at the wall, and based on how much farther he goes, he seems to be farther from the wall than how far he reaches back. Second, and more convincingly, look at the still shot at the time of contact. You can’t tell exactly where orange shirt guy is, but the guy in the light shirt is clearly reaching over the wall. One hand is on the wall, and the other arm is reaching out past that. If his hand is over the field of play, the other hands were as well.

Humphrey
    Participant

I went to bed after JBJs hr. They were either going to win or lose horribly at that point, didn’t need to see the latter.

I couldn’t figure out why Hinch let James throw all those pitches. JBJ’s homer was a batting practice fastball after all those 100 milers (and for which the announcers were doing their best impression of Bill Murray’s “Cinderella Story”) he had thrown. And Betts just missed hitting the next pitch out.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by  Humphrey.

chicowalker
    Participant

I went to bed after JBJs hr. They were either going to win or lose horribly at that point, didn’t need to see the latter.

I couldn’t figure out why Hinch let James throw all those pitches. JBJ’s homer was a batting practice fastball after all those 100 milers (and for which the announcers were making him a first ballot Hall of Famer in 15 years) he had thrown. And Betts just missed hitting the next pitch out.

You’d think they’d at least pull him after Vazquez’ double.

Nice to see the Rockets get crushed too, with Carmelo -20.  Two of my favorite non-Boston athletes of all time are Hakeem and Nolan Ryan, but for now Fcuk Houston

Participant

“Tony The Cripple” seems a little harsh…..

Once known as “Skinny Joey,” the flamboyant 54-year-old Boca Raton resident was among 46 men — with nicknames like “Tony the Cripple” and “Nicky the Wig” — who were arrested last week in a multi-state round up involving five organized crime families.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Dick Slater died.

Humphrey
    Participant

Once known as “Skinny Joey,” the flamboyant 54-year-old Boca Raton resident was among 46 men — with nicknames like “Tony the Cripple” and “Nicky the Wig” — who were arrested last week in a multi-state round up involving five organized crime families.

How about Frankie The Wop and Jimmy Two Times, are they still walking the streets?

InThisTown
    Participant

Once known as “Skinny Joey,” the flamboyant 54-year-old Boca Raton resident was among 46 men — with nicknames like “Tony the Cripple” and “Nicky the Wig” — who were arrested last week in a multi-state round up involving five organized crime families.

The man did tear his achilles playing basketball.

Feejis
    Participant

Disappointed to hear Pedro saying the interference call was clearly incorrect. Although it seemed like he wanted to call out Joe West and his stubbornness more than anything.

Of course I’m biased, but I think (1) the video was not conclusive, so per rule, the call on the field should stand and (2) if forced to choose , I’d lean towards yes, it was interference. Looking at two things. First, watch the slow-mo replay of Mookie after the contact. His momentum is still carrying him back to the wall. So while he is reaching backwards when contact is made, he is not at the wall, and based on how much farther he goes, he seems to be farther from the wall than how far he reaches back. Second, and more convincingly, look at the still shot at the time of contact. You can’t tell exactly where orange shirt guy is, but the guy in the light shirt is clearly reaching over the wall. One hand is on the wall, and the other arm is reaching out past that. If his hand is over the field of play, the other hands were as well.

Agreed there is no clear answer on whether the ball had “crossed the plane” or not. Anyone who says it’s clear has an agenda.

Even the fan who was called for it was confused.

“I was over the line and the ball hit….I’m over the line and I put my hand out and the ball hit my hand. I never touched his glove.”

Later in the same piece.

“My hand wasn’t over the yellow. My hand was right here and it hit my hand so it was a HR.”

Humphrey
    Participant

I like how they had the foresight to set up a camera that would have made the decision a lot clearer…but forgot to tell the security guard that if he stood where he was he’d be blocking it.

chicowalker
    Participant

how much of a guinea do you need to be to have the nickname “the Wop” among a group of Italians? :lol:

unrelated, Dan Lifshatz is only 27?  Jesus.  He’s a sharp ( :lol: ) what odds would he give himself reaching 40? 2-5?

Lebron
    Participant

I couldn’t figure out why Hinch let James throw all those pitches. JBJ’s homer was a batting practice fastball after all those 100 milers (and for which the announcers were making him a first ballot Hall of Famer in 15 years) he had thrown. And Betts just missed hitting the next pitch out.

You’d think they’d at least pull him after Vazquez’ double.

Nice to see the Rockets get crushed too, with Carmelo -20. Two of my favorite non-Boston athletes of all time are Hakeem and Nolan Ryan, but for now Fcuk Houston

Carmelo talking about how they have to be better defensively slayed me.  Next you’ll hear Ben Simmons talk about how the Sixers have to be a better shooting team.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Only the Yankees can get that clear interference no-call.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Kate Upton was less than happy on the The Twitter over the call/non-call pointing out that “if they don’t want the fans to be involved then they shouldn’t let people sit in those seats”. I was sad that Pedro said almost the exact same thing.

I feel the Sox won the World Series last night. Can’t see them losing 3 straight to anyone and they are light years better than both NL teams.

Local media here in LA taking credit for Kershaw pitching well because they have been crapping all over him lately and the general feeling is that he pitches better when pissed off.  I’m sure Kershaw spends his free time listening to local LA driven on the am stations. The self importance of basically every media person is sickening.

Participant

Magician Beard is so vital in the booth that he only gets to do home games?

Participant

ass play and now tea bagging – “Detail” has it all….

“Peyton Manning will be doing analysis of NFL games this season after all.

ESPN and Kobe Bryant’s Granity Studios announced Wednesday that Manning will be part of a football edition of the “Detail” franchise. The eight-episode series will be on the ESPN+ streaming service and debuts on Thursday.”

Lefty

Meh, Pedro’s a smart guy.   He probably figures if he comes down against the Sox on this call (not like it matters) it gives him more credibility among the troglodytes.    He’s playing the long game.

White shirt guy clearly over the wall. Blue and orange shirt guys’ hands are out further than white shirt guy. I don’t understand what’s the controversy.

It’s like doing the Ben Watson/Champ Bailey thing again. Watch: the Tufts/MIT guys are gonna comment next.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I did the same thing. Gotta leave a little in the tank for tonight. If they got a chance to end it I’m staying up.

Lefty

well. look, it’s got an anally invaded sponge bob marking on it.

It’s got to be legit.

Feejis
    Participant

Blue shirt guy should open his eyes next time he’s trying to catch something. Makes it a lot easier.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Did any of the Fan-interference bozo’s get kicked out of the game?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar