Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 10/21/19 – 10/26/19 Weekly Discussion Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 198 total)
  • Author
    Coma
    Participant

I just realized we have to listen to Tessitore and McFarland call the game tonight. Fuck.

I wish there was some equivalent of the Spanish language button, except it enabled some non-shitty announcers.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

There is always Zolak on the radio.

Participant

Pete giving Rams management a reach around this morning pays $2.40

chicowalker
    Participant

Kudos, Matthew Stafford, getting to 40,000 passing yards faster than any quarterback in history. He’s 31. When I started in the business in 1984, Fran Tarkenton was the all-time passing leader with 47,003 yards. Eleven quarterbacks have passed Tarkenton in the last 25 years, and Aaron Rodgers and Stafford will get there soon.

Stafford should get there maybe the first week of 2021 :lol:

Lebron
    Participant

Thanks Pete.  Jim Brown was #1 on the all time rushing list at the same time (I think) too.  Now he’s #11.  Odd and sad!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    chicowalker
    Participant

Pete NOT lamenting missing Mahomes/Rodgers paid 10,000-1

Lebron
    Participant

Pete giving Rams management a reach around this morning pays $2.40

That shit is embarrassing but it’s exactly how I picture the Rams operating, namely having a circle jerk with a reporter whose agent happens to be the father of the team COO, said connection of course never being mentioned.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Pete’s hotel in Atlanta wasn’t ready when he arrived.  I’m sure he was understanding and didn’t invoke a ‘do you know who I am’ as the problem was being resolved.  He’s also amazed that there is traffic in Atlanta on a Saturday afternoon.  Like the roads in a major city are supposed to magically be clear for miles and miles because it’s the weekend and everyone is a shut in.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Last night, Tyler Seguin’s house was heavily damaged by a tornado.

jforb
    Participant

Philip Rivers jumped from eighth to sixth on the all-time passing yards list Sunday afternoon, and he did it in less than the running time of “The Godfather: Part II.”

8th to 6th was 105 yards. Any QB not reach that number this week?

jforb
    Participant

Well that’s a deep understanding of the world.

But it’s outrageous, honestly, that China would be outraged at us. If they want to prevent their citizens from speaking freely, that’s their business. We allow our citizens to express opinions, on everything. They should understand that.

chicowalker
    Participant

another missed opportunity- those three QBs bunched together ll taken in the same draft.  There had to be some stupid “Lincoln’s secretary was named Kennedy”  shit Pets could have ascribed to that

Lebron
    Participant

Last night, Tyler Seguin’s house was heavily damaged by a tornado.

Is ‘heavily damaged by a tornado’ what the kids call ‘hosting orgies’ these days?/Cam Neely

chicowalker
    Participant

Has Fatty never been to Atlanta?  I was last there over a decade ago and the traffic was brutal, I can’t imagine it’s got better

Participant

Hello ladies…..

Lebron
    Participant

Has Fatty never been to Atlanta? I was last there over a decade ago and the traffic was brutal, I can’t imagine it’s got better

Right?  What NFL city has zero traffic issues or actually any time where it’s smooth sailing?  You used to be able to say that about Denver maybe 10 or 15 years ago but it’s a mess now.  Nashville perhaps?

Lebron
    Participant

d. Statement of the Week: Austin Danforth of the Burlington (Vermont) Free Press, on the Burlington high school girls soccer team that not only wore #EQUALPAY T-shirts under their soccer shirts and exposed the shirts at an opportune time in a game, but also sold the shirts to raise money for soccer in the area and to draw attention to the financial fight of the U.S. Women’s national team.

e. Do something for this team, Megan Rapinoe. (I feel sure the U.S. team will.)

Love how Pete finds some cause he supposedly resonates with, then he immediately barks an order for someone else to do something about it.

f. So proud to live in the same country as the late Rep. Elijah Cummings, who died last week

So proud to live in the same country as a politician.  What a god damn sap.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

. Yanks’ big bats let them down, but it wasn’t much of a hitters’ series. I liked the chess match of the relievers’ game Saturday, and though I get no one wants a 4:09 baseball game, and I get it’s not a sustainable fan experience for games regularly to be that long, on that stage, with that drama, in an elimination game, I wasn’t bothered by it.

Figures Pete loves the ‘bullpen’ games.  I fucking hated it.  Chess match?  It was slop v. slop and pitching changes every 5 minutes.

p. I was bothered by some of the fan behavior in the outfield at Yankee Stadium.

Yeah, that hasn’t been going on for 40 years or so, but apparently new to someone who lived in Manhattan and now Brooklyn. Troubling.

Had my inaugural pumpkin spice latte of the season Saturday. Same as it ever was. Too sweet. Way too sweet.

And yet he keeps ordering them

chicowalker
    Participant

Hello ladies…..

Flanagan’s like “I’ve got to get this pencil-dick in front of Murray or Weaver, see if he shits himself”

Yahtzee
    Participant

Has Fatty never been to Atlanta? I was last there over a decade ago and the traffic was brutal, I can’t imagine it’s got better

Right? What NFL city has zero traffic issues or actually any time where it’s smooth sailing? You used to be able to say that about Denver maybe 10 or 15 years ago but it’s a mess now. Nashville perhaps?

Green Bay?

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Hello ladies…..

Flanagan’s like “I’ve got to get this pencil-dick in front of Murray or Weaver, see if he shits himself”

Poor Flanagan shot himself a few years ago. Maybe he did it because he thought this pic was going to go public.

Lebron
    Participant

Right? What NFL city has zero traffic issues or actually any time where it’s smooth sailing? You used to be able to say that about Denver maybe 10 or 15 years ago but it’s a mess now. Nashville perhaps?

Green Bay?

There you go.  Maybe Buffalo.

Lebron
    Participant

Good thing the Falcons signed Julio Jones to that new $64 million guaranteed dough contract.  Really lighting it up down in Hot ‘Lanta.

Expect this talking point to gain some traction through the end of the season. PFT:

Through six games, the Ravens have 1,230 rushing yards. No other team is even at 1,000.

At an average of 205 rushing yards per game, the Ravens are on pace to finish the season with 3,280 rushing yards. That would break the all-time record of 3,165, set by the Patriots in 1978.

Gotta love that old chestnut, “on pace”. Hell, the Patriots are “on pace” to obliterate the record for fewest points allowed per game by a defense (currently 9.2 PAPG,  still held by the 1977 Atlanta Falcons, who despite that defense still finished 7-7 that season). But one or two bad games blow that pace out of the water. Same’s true with the Ravens.

What was amazing about that ’78 Patriots team is that none of the Patriots runners cleared 800 yards, let alone 1,000. The balance was impressive:

• Cunningham 768 yards
    • Ivory 693 yards
    • Johnson 675 yards
    • Grogan 539 yards
    • Calhoun 391 yards

Having a mobile quarterback like Grogan then or Jackson now is obviously hugely instrumental to putting the record in reach. Jackson’s already rushed for 695 yards. Ingram’s got 470, and Gus Edwards has 234, so they’ve got a shot.

I was looking to see what other factors there might be. Among the seven opponents the Ravens have played so far, they’ve gone against the 25th, 29th, 30th, 31st and 32nd worst run defenses this year. And they’ve got the 3rd, 4th, 6th, and 7th best run defenses still on their schedule. Here lies the problem with stats. Are the Ravens a great running team because they’ve faced bad run defenses, or the opposing run defenses bad because they played a superior running team? Or is it a worthless exercise because seven games is a ridiculously small sample size?

It’d be great to see the Pats’ record stand. But if a team in today’s NFL actually breaks a 40-year-old team rushing record, you have to believe they earned it.

chicowalker
    Participant

thinking about that “how is every Chargers game EXACTLY the same” tweet, I did some digging.  Just went back to 2010- chargers have lost 79 games since then, including playoffs.  52/79 have been by one score (love to see how that correlates w/the league, seems high). 29/52 have ended with the Chargers on the opponent’s side of the field and either turning it over, failing on 4th down, or missing a FG that would have won or tied.  There are several other examples of Rivers throwing a pick from his side, but they were usually like 4th and 10 from his own 12 with 15 seconds left or the like, so he shouldn’t get dinged for desperate heaves.  I’m still bugged a bit by the missed FG against the Cardinals in 2012 (first and only loss I’ve ever seen in person, in fairness I’ve only been to 20 or so games and most of them since 2001) I can only imagine how tortured the Chargers fan is

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 198 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar