Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 10/21/19 – 10/26/19 Weekly Discussion Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 198 total)
  • Author
    jforb
    Participant

1187 of 2500 league-wide were 1 score losses since 2010,so 52/79 is crazy high. Although I only got 48.

Was going to quote the hot takes in Coach’s daily thing but it would have been reposting the whole damn thing.

jforb
    Participant

Actually probably a sign of a good team

L	L7	%
    BAL	66	44	67%
    PIT	59	38	64%
    SEA	62	39	63%
    LAC	79	48	61%
    NE	37	22	59%
    KC	68	38	56%
    DAL	72	40	56%
    ATL	73	40	55%
    DET	81	44	54%
    PHI	73	39	53%
    NO	63	33	52%
    CHI	81	42	52%
    GB	60	31	52%
    CIN	79	40	51%
    HOU	80	40	50%
    TB	96	47	49%
    League	2500	1187	47%
    CAR	76	36	47%
    DEN	71	33	46%
    NYG	84	39	46%
    MIN	76	34	45%
    BUF	85	38	45%
    IND	76	33	43%
    CLE	111	48	43%
    TEN	89	38	43%
    JAC	104	43	41%
    NYJ	88	36	41%
    SF	79	31	39%
    LAR	84	32	38%
    ARI	78	29	37%
    WAS	92	33	36%
    MIA	86	30	35%
    OAK	92	29	32%

1 user thanked author for this post.
    chicowalker
    Participant

You clearly did more work than me :lol:   it was literally on the back of an envelope. But my greater point stands- like WW2 Felger said- “It’s 6:47 eastern time, and Phillip rivers is hustling to the line to clock the ball..” it’s uncanny

Yahtzee
    Participant

Some heartwarming lines from a WSJ article today on the Yankees:

The 2010s were a success by every measure—that is, except for the only one their fans actually care about: winning the World Series.

They spent more than $2 billion on player salaries, more than any other team in the majors over that span. They employed at least eight current, likely or possible future Hall of Famers. And yet, along the way, the Yankees settled into a strange, new normal. They have become the sort of franchise their fans used to mock: great in every way but the one that counts.

Their latest October exit was particularly crushing. After Jose Altuve sent Houston to the World Series with a walk-off, two-run home run in the bottom of the ninth inning of Game 6 on Saturday, the mood in the Yankees’ clubhouse was funereal.

Many players sat in silence, some in tears. Manager Aaron Boone went from player to player, hugging them and whispering words of encouragement in their ears. Slugger Aaron Judge called the season a failure.

“Just like that, with one swing of the bat, it’s all over,” outfielder Brett Gardner said. “It’ll take a while to get over. Some of us may never get over it.”

Lebron
    Participant

Chargers gave up a ridiculous 4th and 29 to the Ravens in 2012 with less than 2 minutes left up by 3.  Ravens kick the tying field goal and then go on to win in OT.  I still can’t get over that.  4th and 29.  What a garbage organization.

Lebron
    Participant

Loved all those late ’70s/early ’80s running backs.  Great names too.  Horace Ivory.  Don Calhoun.  Vagas Ferguson.  Those are some great names!

Hacksaw
    Participant

The 2010s were a success by every measure—that is, except for the only one their fans actually care about: winning the World Series.

They spent more than $2 billion on player salaries, more than any other team in the majors over that span. They employed at least eight current, likely or possible future Hall of Famers. And yet, along the way, the Yankees settled into a strange, new normal. They have become the sort of franchise their fans used to mock: great in every way but the one that counts.

Their latest October exit was particularly crushing. After Jose Altuve sent Houston to the World Series with a walk-off, two-run home run in the bottom of the ninth inning of Game 6 on Saturday, the mood in the Yankees’ clubhouse was funereal.

Many players sat in silence, some in tears. Manager Aaron Boone went from player to player, hugging them and whispering words of encouragement in their ears. Slugger Aaron Judge called the season a failure.

“Just like that, with one swing of the bat, it’s all over,” outfielder Brett Gardner said. “It’ll take a while to get over. Some of us may never get over it.”

So these so called mid-season Savages are really just a bunch of cry baby pussies.

jforb
    Participant

You clearly did more work than me :lol: it was literally on the back of an envelope. But my greater point stands- like WW2 Felger said- “It’s 6:47 eastern time, and Phillip rivers is hustling to the line to clock the ball..” it’s uncanny

It was actually about 3 minutes in pfref and a couple more in excel. Today’s a watch a database restore day though so I have lots of time.

Also insane how the Browns have almost 4 times the losses of the Pats over that period.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Oh, come on.  One year after Grady’s Folly and Boonie’s Blast Off BUM, the 2004 Red Sox (granted, with Schilling and Foulke in the mix) won it all.

Lebron
    Participant

Chapman threw consecutive 85 mph meatballs and Altuve destroyed it when he saw it again.  It would probably be tougher if you’re the Astros and you lose that game and then the series on that barely cleared cheapie from LeMahieu.

Lebron
    Participant

And maybe don’t be such a dummy on the base paths, Judge getting doubled up was embarrassing.  And tell Sanchez to lay off the burgers and fries and mix in some tofu or a salad with oil and vinegar and not bleu cheese.  And maybe if the guys in the bullpen actually pitched decent, great job starting the guy who gave up a 3 run bomb earlier so he can give up another 3 run bomb to start the game.

Coma
    Participant

You clearly did more work than me :lol:it was literally on the back of an envelope. But my greater point stands- like WW2 Felger said- “It’s 6:47 eastern time, and Phillip rivers is hustling to the line to clock the ball..” it’s uncanny

It was actually about 3 minutes in pfref and a couple more in excel. Today’s a watch a database restore day though so I have lots of time.

Also insane how the Browns have almost 4 times the losses of the Pats over that period.

You two put in far more work than anyone at the Globe, EEI, or 98.5 would have.

lobstah
    Participant

Hello ladies…..

Holy Shit…that drew me out of retirement ! Shaughnessian Dynamite  “Nunchuck skills… bowhunting skills… computer hacking skills… Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!”

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Nice toss by Spleen boy

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

sodomizing the Jets never gets old

4 users thanked author for this post.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

Big fan Bill Simmons was deathly afraid of this Jets team and this game. Even Sal was basically calling him a pussy.  I honestly can’t remember being a afraid of a ten plus point underdog against the Brady Pats.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

It took less than a half for the pats to annihilate Darnolds confidence. I bet he closes his eyes before each throw.

Coma
    Participant

Nice toss by Spleen boy

Remember, Darnold is going to seize the mantle of best QB in the AFC East.

I have no problem with them overturning the Van Noy TD return. It was clear he was touched when he was down, even if it was unintentional, so the ball should be placed at that spot. What the announcers could have pointed out was that #84 on the Jets could have just tapped him to make sure he was down instead of backing away from Van Noy.That’s poor awareness/coaching on the part of the Jets.

Why no replay of the JC Jackson PI penalty. A defender doing the “Who me? No way!” act is nothing new, but it would be nice to see what the interference was. If it was a ticky tack foul, then not calling holding on the Jets O-lineman who had a hold Wise made even less sense. The positive was, even with the officials letting the Jets play and calling it tight on the Patriots in that drive, it still ended with a Jets turnover.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Have any of the Jets coaches informed Darnold on how to throw the call away. Intentional grounding is infinitely better than what he is doing now.

Yahtzee
    Participant

This is delightful

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Lefty

Is Darnold wearing a “C” on his jersey as if he is the captain of this shit show?

jesus.

Coma
    Participant

Have any of the Jets coaches informed Darnold on how to throw the call away. Intentional grounding is infinitely better than what he is doing now.

They should bring Fouts in as an expert consultant.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Lefty

So, coming into the game, things were going to be different because the Jets were bringing the current AFC offensive player of the week Sam Darnold, who changes everything and will give the Jets a real chance to win this game

tomorrow, it will be that the Jets are tomato cans and the QB sucks, so this proves nothing.

And, the Pats being 7-0 is meaningless because of who they play, but Buffalo is auditioning for team X at 5-1 with the same base schedule.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Just tuning in now after keeping track of the delightful results on my phone. This is almost as funny as the buttfumble game.

Any injuries to worry about?

Lefty

Just tuning in now after keeping track of the delightful results on my phone. This is almost as funny as the buttfumble game.

Any injuries to worry about?

Only Darnold’s pride

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 198 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar