Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 10/21/19 – 10/26/19 Weekly Discussion Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 198 total)
  • Author
    Suzy
    Participant

The Astros didn’t issue a single IBB this season? That’s something that Pete King would normally pen 4000 words about.

I listened to a bit of a podcast with Jeff Passan, who is a stereotypical baseball nerd/fagola that for some reason I don’t want to strangle. He was talking about the Astros front office and how their GM started in the Cardinals org and was a Wall Street guy with no real interest in baseball and he hired that assistant GM guy who made news the other day and how he was also a Wall Street guy and a very successful daily fantasy player, and the guy also doesn’t really have an interest in baseball. They’re just good at crunching the numbers and identifying talent. Probably why the Cardinals stole their data.

Very interesting! Semi-related, listened to Trevor Bauer discuss hitters on both teams from a pitcher’s perspective and could have listened to the guy all day. Really good stuff & he comes off very well, not an asshole at all.

Lebron
    Participant

I thought the daily fantasy angle was interesting.  Also made me think of that FJM piece where they ripped that old Dodgers GM, Ned Coletti I think.  Something about an old scout wearing snakeskin boots and a stopwatch, guys like the Astros front office would drive those old by the gut Coletti guys crazy.  I seem to remember that takedown is particularly funny, if I can find it I’ll have to see if it holds up.

Lebron
    Participant

All the Fire Joe Morgan stuff is still up there.  Still holds up.

Lebron
    Participant

Astros fired that Asst. GM.  They should probably also fire whoever shot off that tweet/statement that SI mischaracterized what happened.

Coma
    Participant

LVRJ couldn’t get a photographer to get a less smarmy photo? Or at least a new one if that’s impossible?

Smarm is appropriate.

What kills me is the intro line or whatever that says how highly his peers think of him. :blink::lol:I’d immediately recognize an incompetent, blowhard know-nothing at work for what they were, especially one who had my exact job, and certainly wouldn’t speak well of them. They are the most useless “profession” on earth, and so fucking dumb.

They should have used a picture from his F&M appearance this past Tuesday (I’m not savvy enough to post a screenshot, but you can see the video here.)

The baseball cap pulled low is spot on, but change that North Face fleece to a hooded sweatshirt and that was the typical dress of my friends and I on a Saturday or Sunday morning after a night of drinking. Of course, we were between 18-22, hanging around the dorm or someone’s apartment, not appearing on live TV.

jforb
    Participant

Enjoy the Jason Garrett experience Michael

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Kingasaurus
    Participant

Enjoy the Jason Garrett experience Michael

It’s too bad because i think he’s still a very good player. But you just can’t have a guy publicly and privately bitching about playing time on an undefeated team six games in. Especially when they bumped his pay when they brought him in. That’s the kind of guy the Pats always avoided.

Even though Martellus was also an opinionated weirdo, he just fit in better here. I hope Bill didn’t think he was just getting Martellus 2.0, because they’re clearly not the same guy.

At least it gets them cap relief for a player who was expensive but not playing that much.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

I always remember Bill and Jimmy Johnson in the Football Life segment on Johnson’s boat where Bill tells Jimmy you taught me that you can coach anything but stupid.  So if Bill sees a guy that he thinks is a good football player and doesn’t have a stupidity or inability to grasp what they want him to do problem, he’s worth a shot.  Bennett clearly couldn’t grasp what they wanted, and then to bitch about missing a game check.  I mean what the fuck.  Get out.

Participant

No breathless tweets from the media about Joe Buck having the strength to broadcast a Thursday football game in the middle of the World Series this year?

Get your house in order backslapping doofuses. :pk:

Coma
    Participant

Astros fired that Asst. GM. They should probably also fire whoever shot off that tweet/statement that SI mischaracterized what happened.

I wonder if the guy is still happy they signed Osuna.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

Surprised Speier was able to get this through

Early in his career, he was cast in some quarters (hi, Dan!) as a Lawrence, Kan.-based, almighty Oz, dictating lineups via fax or serving as a Pied Piper who led the team down the road of a closer-by-committee strategy.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Well that fire was much closer.  Back mountain burned to about 30 feet from the property. All the neighbors up on the hill with hoses and my first up close water drop.  Those are impressive as hell.  Didn’t see a scuba diver in the water however. Who doesn’t love LA. :dry:

Yahtzee
    Participant

Well that fire was much closer. Back mountain burned to about 30 feet from the property. All the neighbors up on the hill with hoses and my first up close water drop. Those are impressive as hell. Didn’t see a scuba diver in the water however. Who doesn’t love LA. :dry:

Yikes.  Be careful and good luck.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

No breathless tweets from the media about Joe Buck having the strength to broadcast a Thursday football game in the middle of the World Series this year?

Get your house in order backslapping doofuses. :pk:

Pussy didn’t work a Sunday NFL game.  Doesn’t GameDay have Herbstreit in one location in the morning then another for a game that night?

Lebron
    Participant

Well that fire was much closer. Back mountain burned to about 30 feet from the property. All the neighbors up on the hill with hoses and my first up close water drop. Those are impressive as hell. Didn’t see a scuba diver in the water however. Who doesn’t love LA. :dry:

It got that close and they didn’t have an evacuation order or anything?  Stay safe man that’s fucking nuts.

Lebron
    Participant

Sounds like that Rays guy Chaim Bloom is the front runner for the Sox GM job, I’m sure the Kraft is a cheap Jew crowd will love that hire.

Participant

Albert says some in the media think the patriots organization is running burner twitter accounts to strike back at the media.

Image result for tinfoil hat

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Albert says some in the media think the patriots organization is running burner twitter accounts to strike back at the media.

The fact that these clowns think we all work for the Patriots is hilarious. No, you just suck and we’re letting you have it with both barrels. Like always.

Coma
    Participant

The fact that these clowns think we all work for the Patriots is hilarious. No, you just suck and we’re letting you have it with both barrels. Like always.

The level of delusion and lack of self awareness is impressive.

Could we be wrong? No, not possible. A football team must be employing people to say negative things about us. That’s the only answer.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Hold on, I thought we were all basement shut ins living with our parents, we’re unemployable.  Now we all work for the greatest franchise in the history of professional sports?  As Julian Edelman would say, that’s a helluva story!

Participant

The level of delusion and lack of self awareness is impressive.

Could we be wrong? No, not possible. A football team must be employing people to say negative things about us. That’s the only answer.

“As a reporter, you can be right in the moment and wrong in the long run.”  Albert Breer

Lebron
    Participant

I love the idea that being ‘wrong in the long term’ is basically some excuse for lack of accountability for what was originally presented.  Isn’t the point not to rush to a judgement, and that if you were wrong in the long term that therefore means you could not have been ‘right’ originally?

Lebron
    Participant

Upton Bell thinking Bootleg Barnicle is actually Mike Barnicle on twitter is probably the best feature of twitter.

jforb
    Participant

The Red Sox have zeroed in on Chaim Bloom as their next GM. Seems like a good move. It will probably tick off the Game of Four that the team brought in a guy who hasn’t been a No. 1 either.

Game of Four :lol:

Suzy
    Participant

Sounds like that Rays guy Chaim Bloom is the front runner for the Sox GM job, I’m sure the Kraft is a cheap Jew crowd will love that hire.

Read a really good, fairly in-depth article/interview with him last night from a few years back. Guy seems solid in every way.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 198 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar