Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 10/23/18 Daily Thread: Fall Classic Edition

This topic contains 65 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  Suzy 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 66 total)
  • Author

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

World Series Baby!

Yahtzee
    Participant

FWL is right; prices falling on Stub Hub.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Beware of fake tickets!

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Lebron
    Participant

Pomeranz in Workman out

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Pomeranz and not Wright? :weei: Pomeranz has been brutal.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

They are taking this “lack of a LOOGY” issue rather seriously. LA does have left-handed hitters they can run out there in the late innings or to sub for righties to match up with the Sox’ RHPs.

Coma
    Participant

Pomeranz in Workman out

Now I have concernz.

Then again, the only time we saw Workman in the last series was game 1, when Sale only went 4 innings. There’s a decent chance we never see Pomeranz or maybe just for one batter.

Suzy
    Participant

Pomeranz in Workman out

Now I have concernz.

Then again, the only time we saw Workman in the last series was game 1, when Sale only went 4 innings. There’s a decent chance we never see Pomeranz or maybe just for one batter.

Was a bit surprised at this move also but agree it makes some sense.

Humphrey
    Participant

Pomeranz in Workman out

Now I have concernz.

Put him in for one lefty hitter when there’s a base open and if he walks the guy, no biggie?

Feejis
    Participant

He’s the last guy on the roster. You people are overthinking this.

Lebron
    Participant

Probably makes sense to counter Muncy and Bellinger.

Leon and Nunez in tonight.  So not even in a national league park and they have the equivalent of 2 pitchers hitting!

Lebron
    Participant

Sounds like Bill is doing the voice over for Fox’s opening whatever prior to the game tonight.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

And now time for another Moment of Idiocy, by Ben Volin.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Jeezy Effing Cripes !!!!   (as Dale would say)

JAMES TAYLOR?!?

I thought The Dentist had moved on.

Who’s throwing out the first pitch? Barnicle?

I’m in a bad mood before a pitch has been thrown.

If I wanted nasal, fake-fan, emotionless singing I wouldn’t have booed him the last time the Sox brass trotted out that dead horse.

This is simply so Wednesday’s NAMES column can be all about the Taylor-Sox connection.

Pox on all of them. And Carly Simon, too, for good measure.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

For all Simple Ben knows, his original thought might be correct, depending on where the outsider receiver is lined up either 72 or 79 could be the Tackle Eligible player.

Lebron
    Participant

Broncos backup QB and nephew of Jim Kelly arrested for criminal trespass, sounds like the standard “I got shitfaced and went into the wrong house” variety.  At least there’s an organizational standard with regard to drunkeness.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Giants trade the wrong Eli to the Saints. Eli Apple for a 2019 4th and a 2010 7th.

Suzy
    Participant

Sounds like Bill is doing the voice over for Fox’s opening whatever prior to the game tonight.

Cool! He was clearly psyched for them in the PC the other day.

Little Jerry wrote another book. And while the first instinct is God no, never, I read “12” and “Big Game” and am now reading O’Connor’s Belichick book (which is surprisingly good), and saw that Thornton would be getting into Spygate and Deflategate. I thought maybe I could stomach it as a hate read.

But just looking at the Kindle preview, I don’t think I can take it. He’s so fucking terrible:

In sociological terms, the New England Patriots are that high school A/ V squad nerd who couldn’t get girls to talk to him and was on the receiving end of regular swirlies in the boys’ room. But by the 15th class reunion, he’d become the successful dot-com billionaire the valedictorian was begging for a job and the girl voted Most Popular wanted to dump her husband for. The zero who became the hero.

He’s like Simmons but an even worse writer and less funny (in that Simmons isn’t funny at all, and Jerry’s below that). Every trite analogy, every pretentious fan take, every obvious conventional wisdom, Jerry will embrace it.

Because like any good all-powerful ruler, Bill Parcells understood the importance of leaving behind a clear line of succession for after you’re gone. Game of Thrones would never even have happened if Robert Baratheon had simply stopped tomcatting around making babies everywhere while Queen Cersei was making babies of her own with her brother. Parcells had his heir to the throne: Bill Belichick.

The nerd loser references are everywhere in the preview, validating the dork celibate lifestyle we already projected for Thornton:

Personally, I wanted the new hope of my football team to ride in on horseback in a kilt with his face painted blue screaming about making our enemies pay for their crimes. What I got was the treasurer of the French Club saying we’ve got to start planning the car wash if we’re ever going to pay for that trip to the museum. With everything but the “I really mean it, guys! This is serious!!!”

How he ever even touched a boob, let alone had children, is a mystery for the ages.

Lebron
    Participant

Eli Apple traded to the Saints.

Lebron
    Participant

Always supports the other teams in the area, has great relationships with the coaches.  He’s everything you want in a coach/face of a franchise.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Good luck charm Yaz for the first pitch. He also threw out the first pitch for Game 1 in 2004, 2007, 2013.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Doris Kearns Goodwin for Game 2?  “You broke my HEART 61 years ago, and I will never, EVER forget or forgive! Die, LA scum!!!!!!!”

:rollseyes:

Suzy
    Participant

Doris Kearns Goodwin for Game 2? “You broke my HEART 61 years ago, and I will never, EVER forget or forgive! Die, LA scum!!!!!!!”

:rollseyes:

Ugh.  :ozzy:

Janice Soprano: “There are a lot of things I could say right now…that I’m not gonna say.” :lol:

Chief
    Participant

Always supports the other teams in the area, has great relationships with the coaches. He’s everything you want in a coach/face of a franchise.

Always has been supportive of all the the teams around, but I thought I read somewhere that he was dismissive of the Sox in a recent presser and the writer was trying to attribute it to the NEP’s organizational disdain for the Glob in light of the Spotlight feature on AH.

Participant

Always supports the other teams in the area, has great relationships with the coaches. He’s everything you want in a coach/face of a franchise.

Always has been supportive of all the the teams around, but I thought I read somewhere that he was dismissive of the Sox in a recent presser and the writer was trying to attribute it to the NEP’s organizational disdain for the Glob in light of the Spotlight feature on AH.

That’s a feather in his cap imho.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Jeezy Effing Cripes !!!! (as Dale would say)

JAMES TAYLOR?!?

I thought The Dentist had moved on.

Who’s throwing out the first pitch? Barnicle?

I’m in a bad mood before a pitch has been thrown.

If I wanted nasal, fake-fan, emotionless singing I wouldn’t have booed him the last time the Sox brass trotted out that dead horse.

This is simply so Wednesday’s NAMES column can be all about the Taylor-Sox connection.

Pox on all of them. And Carly Simon, too, for good measure.

You would think they would have Bill Buckner throw out the first pitch so he can be forgiven one more time.

chicowalker
    Participant

“The Red Sox are like your wife, it’s like, okay, tuesday is trash night, also Mike Smithson is pitching again! Yay. He used to pitch for the Red Sox.  The Patriots are like your side piece- this guy knows what I’m talking ab- no? you don’t? Like a mistress, a *Tony Soprano accent* coolatta. Wait- yes, right, that’s  the drink.  Sorry, like, um, I’m not, uh, Vinny Barbarino ova heah with my pronunciation. Welcome Back Kot-tah! Speaking of side pieces, I’m told 2-for-1 on dumplings the next 30 minutes. Prease orda! Many happy returns! Anyway- side piece? Yeah- like volatile you never know who’s going to show up! Crazy sex or crazy, like, confrontations! *is told by an audience member the Patriots of the last 18 years are arguably the most consistent franchise in the modern history of the 4 major North American sports* well, yes, but before…like I said in my book…whichyoucanorderonAmazonnow *lone cough in audience* the Pats are like Game of Thrones, you know, like Brady is..well, maybe a bit Joffrey and also the other guy, with the good hair? I forget, but it’s in the book! And Kraft is like Theon, who, uh *giggles* had an um, unfortunate, let’s say, briss, and, um- wait not because he’s Jewish! Because he’s a cuckold? *one couple makes it’s way to the exits, dinner barely touched* Wait! I mean, the Patriots used to be like Diff’rent Strokes- What choo talkin’ bout Willie! (McGinest) but before then, really- like, hello, Rod Rust? One day you’re saying you’re  like, John Stephens is the future, the next, you’re in your underoos and the guy from WKRP has his hand on your thigh! Not Johnny Fever, um-*crowd leaves en masse, power to microphone cut*

Lebron
    Participant

I thought Bill was asked something about giving them advice or help and he said they don’t need my advice/help.

Huh, don’t recall TNT having Champions League.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Best is to tune in right before Sale throws the first pitch. Powder, his daughter and Cosby’s pal can easily make you hate the team with all of this bullshit.

Yahtzee
    Participant

He had me at coolatta.

Well shit, Chico, now I have to read it, if only to keep supplying you new material.

In their first four decades of existence, the Patriots put together three teams that you could really call successful by any objective standard. And all three had one thing in common. No sooner had their ships left port, cruised into calm waters before a following sea, and seemed ready to take New England on a long and pleasant journey to Championship Island that they struck icebergs of failure and sank to the bottom of the standings again. And two of those times, the captain abandoned ship, leaving every man, woman, and child to fend for ourselves.

“Icebergs of failure”  :lol:

Lebron
    Participant

They initially asked the Pixies but they wouldn’t refuse to omit the “kiss me cock/kiss me cunt” lyrics from UMASS.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I felt pretty good about the Red Sox’ chances until this morning, when I read that five out of six of the The Baseball Paper’s writers/columnists, including Shank and Nick, have picked Boston to win in six games or fewer.   :blink:   Talk about a reverse lock.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I felt pretty good about the Red Sox’ chances until this morning, when I read that five out of six of the The Baseball Paper’s writers/columnists, including Shank and Nick, have picked Boston to win in six games or fewer. :blink: Talk about a reverse lock.

As long as the Best Bets guy from the football picks didn’t choose them.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

If baseball writers and columnists from a newspaper that’s owned by the same guy who owns the Red Sox pump their tires before a World Series, can it be considered HUBRIS or ARROGANCE?

I’ll hang up and listen.

His dealings with the media are appointment television, Shakespearean tragicomedies of passive/ aggressiveness. And even while the rest of the league tries to “strike down upon him with great vengeance and furious anger” for all his supposed cheating, they hire every one of his assistants they can, hoping a branch off his coaching tree will take root and bear fruit. With limited success.

Surprisingly,  he doesn’t have his pop culture references footnoted. Maybe that’s because he can’t hear the silence in his books like he does for his standup act.

Yahtzee
    Participant

His writing is very funny/ clever “if I do say so myself.”

More proof of his sexless adolescence. Trekkie:

Belichick had left the Giants for the head coaching job in Cleveland, was fired after five seasons, joined the Patriots as Parcells’s assistant head coach on the Super Bowl team, and then followed him again to New York. He was the cerebral, logical Spock to Parcells’s emotional, scenery-chewing Kirk, forever solving complex problems while the captain inspired the crew and kicked alien ass in battle.

On Hess:

Until that relationship came to an end. Because on May 7, 1999, Leon Hess met the fate that awaits us all. Death placed an icy hand upon the shoulder of the Jets owner and took him off to that Undiscovered Country, from whose bourn no traveler returns.

How can anybody stand this insufferable asshole?

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Undiscovered Country? I thought the Jets moved to the Meadowlands in the 1980s …

:ohmy:

Brian
    Participant

Undiscovered Country? I thought the Jets moved to the Meadowlands in the 1980s …

That is a Star Trek reference. Star Trek 6:The Undiscovered Country.

:lol:

Big Fat O
    Participant

For those who are listening to the radio you are being blessed with Futility Lou.

Its a toss up between Lou and Joe Suck.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Shakespeare ripped off Star Trek?

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Buck over Lou 7 days a week.

Turd Furguson
    Participant

That is a Star Trek reference. Star Trek 6:The Undiscovered Country.

So Hess went to the Klingon home world?

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Sale looks hale and healthy  :smile: Except for that pitch :ozzy:

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Buck is a worse jinx than the Brady Bunch Hawaiian Tiki.

Right after he ballwashes Sale he gives up the HR.  :lol:

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar