Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 10/26/2018 Daily Thread, Game 3 Edition

Tagged: 

This topic contains 187 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  BrianInLA 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 188 total)
  • Author

Nick B
    Participant

Let’s get it going

chicowalker
    Participant

so if you delete your twitter account, does the handle then become available to the public? I’m thinking @NEPD_Loyko would be fertile ground

Kingasaurus
    Participant

So I guess were going with penciling in the “L” because the Red Sox have to start a Right-hander tonight? Is that it?

chicowalker
    Participant

Listening to the mensa matt podcast.  Mensa Matt with an Alex Cora/Mega miwwyuns winning ticket joke right off the bat!

chicowalker
    Participant

Josh Marion has ceded control of the Josh Marion and friends podcast to Matt- the only think he’s said in the last 5 minutes is a half hearted “Fuck Kinsler” in the background when the poor Z-team take flinger they suckered into being the “guest” mentioned him.  It’s so strange- they are cosplaying Felger and Mazz, like me and my cousins used to do with GI Joe when we were kids.

Josh’s edgier material is not landing

chicowalker
    Participant

Patrick Patterson, who plays for OKC (basketball) will not be traded to the Patriots (football) Josh.  He might be just surface level dumber than Matt.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  chicowalker.

chicowalker
    Participant

:lol:”I’ve got two minutes left guys, or I’m going to wake up my girlfriend”

Mensa- *launches into a three minute soliloquy about how upset he’ll be if the pats give up X amount of points to a team they are playing a month from now* :lol:

“We don’t want to get the women upset!”

“I wearned dat de hard way Tim”

My only conclusion about Mensa’s relationship to the English language is that he hates it, because why else would he treat it with such brazen contempt?

Humphrey
    Participant

I think Patricia and O’Brien are a combined 8-1 since they were buried by the media, Simple Ben foremost, IIRC.

Hacksaw
    Participant

I was listening to MLB Radio the Red Sox problem is JD Martinez playing outfield and how do you make the Dodgers not hit to him.

Yahtzee
    Participant

So I guess were going with penciling in the “L” because the Red Sox have to start a Right-hander tonight? Is that it?

I’m a little surprised by the Vegas numbers (Sox +140/Dodgers -150 at the Westgate).

Chico, check out Ironhead’s tweets on Mensa:

Mensa’s speech impediment reminds me of like a Looney Tunes character. I just can’t place it.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

And a +1 to Ironhead in absentia.

chicowalker
    Participant

I saw those, I was trying to not hit on material that IH had already so masterfully skewered :lol:

Fortunately for us, despite words escaping his maw with all the grace and fluidity of CC Sabathia fielding a bunt, there are MORE than enough mockable takez in a short 28 minute podcast to go around :smile:

Suzy
    Participant

And a +1 to Ironhead in absentia.

IH does the Lord’s work over there.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I bet the families of those who died or were maimed in the Marathon bombing enjoy hearing some dickhead say the Sox were ‘lucky’ it happened. :wag: They were ‘lucky’ so many players had career years all at the same time, and I suppose they were lucky that Farrel didn’t over manage and fuck things up.

Listening to the Marion thing now. First, have to give credit to whomever comes on as the third guy in the podcast (in this instance Tim McKone). I assume they know going in that Mensa’s going to monopolize the podcast with a bunch of stupid, puddle-deep insights.

I’m listening for his savaging of the language. He has this habit for getting like two-thirds of an expression correct: He just said the ’07 team was “loaded to bear” and that Kelly has become “nothing more” than a lights-out relief pitcher.

Lebron
    Participant

From Miz last night on the Broncos ownership shitshow

Edit: There are seven of those Bowlen kids. Are any on Brittany’s side? Are any others saying “Actually, I should be owner!”?

Yes, 7 kids.  Beth is from the first marriage, Brittany from the second, so probably some catfighting based on that alone.  Actually none of the other kids has spoken publicly that I am aware of, and none of the others have taken any of the ‘steps’ required by the trust.  Beth is one of those “I’m rich and bored, maybe I’ll go to law school” types.  She had a job with the Broncos, some made up ‘special projects’ position.  A few months back when the trust shot down her request to assume ownership they stated that she got fired and she knows why.  Brittany has an MBA and worked in the league office for a couple of years and now works at McKinsey, so she’s taking the required steps but is still 12 years away from the age that Bowlen set for one of the kids to assume ownership.  I think there are some younger kids, and there are older kids but they are all partying and pissing away their money, some have had minority stakes that they’ve sold.  Heck the brother who filed the complaint had a 20% minority stake that he sold back years ago.

chicowalker
    Participant

quick image search of Brittany Bowlen, are we sure of her paternity?

Mensa was talking about how Cora can do no wrong, when Marion cracks a joke:

“He could fart in front of 100 blondes with double Ds and they would say it smells like roses.”

There’s this long, uncomfortable,  Thornton-waits-for-laughterish moment of dead air. McKone says nothing. Mensa finally bails Marion out: “I mean, ob-vee-uss-lee!” Then Marion laughs.

So is this an expression somewhere?

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

What age did Bowlen set for assuming ownership? Seems like a gigantic middle finger directed at the kids from the second marriage. I’ve always thought that these type of succession plans need to set up decades in advance and be crystal clear and air tight if for no other reason than to avoid 10’s if not 100’s of millions in inheritance taxes?

chicowalker
    Participant

“He could fart in front of 100 blondes with double Ds and they would say it smells like roses.”

There’s this long, uncomfortable, Thornton-waits-for-laughterish moment of dead air. McKone says nothing. Mensa finally bails Marion out: “I mean, ob-vee-uss-lee!” Then Marion laughs.

That exchange dragged my soul to hell, never to return. I’m being charitable when I say Marion always sounds high as fuck during these, but it’s probably just idiocy and lack of preparedness.  At least pretend to have a  big boy radio voice like your idols.

Patrick Patterson, who plays for OKC (basketball) will not be traded to the Patriots (football) Josh. He might be just surface level dumber than Matt.

Just heard that part.  :lol: Marion introduces it by asking, “Hey fellas, what is the smoke that’s getting blown up my ass about Patrick Patterson…” He and Mensa are made for each other with their butchering of common expressions.

Lebron
    Participant

In the ’09 trust he set the age at 40.  From the brother’s filing:

More trouble with the language. Marion: “So fellas, we know that the frigging Bills game will be a smoke show for the Patriots.”

Feejis
    Participant

These guys sound like the guys from American Movie if they liked sports instead of bad horror movies.

Not to make light of his impediment, but I think a baseline for being allowed to be on the radio (or do a podcast) is being able to pronounce Ls and Rs correctly, especially if you’re going to keep saying the word, “Brady”.
    “OK, I’ll just be as bwief as I can…”
    “Whoever has the ball last, and that time it was Bwady…”
    “The Titans game is a little twicky for me because Mike Vwabel’s the head coach…”
    “Yeah, but didn’t we say that about the Wions in week thwee, Josh?”
    “The Packahs game is a coin fwip…”
    Both Mensa and McKone are a-scared of Rodgers, like it’s 2010. The conventional wisdom is unrelenting.

Suzy
    Participant

There’s this long, uncomfortable, Thornton-waits-for-laughterish moment of dead air. McKone says nothing. Mensa finally bails Marion out: “I mean, ob-vee-uss-lee!” Then Marion laughs.

It’s vastly unfunny and makes no sense.

I like to think the Broncos thing is like the alternate reality that would’ve played out had Trump gotten the Bills, with Ivanka and Tiffany playing the Beth and Brittany roles, respectively.

It’s vastly unfunny and makes no sense.

And sheds a little too much light on Marion. If it were Gasper making the same analogy, we could at least write it off as overcompensation.

chicowalker
    Participant

Brunettes with smaller cup sizes would be offended, obviously

If only Denise were still here to confirm his theory :ohmy:

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

You can become President of the USA at age 35 but you can’t own the Bronco’s til your 40. Makes sense. I hope the team gets sold to Nintendo and moved to Japan.

Humphrey
    Participant

Cooz

Not to make light of his impediment, but I think a baseline for being allowed to be on the radio (or do a podcast) is being able to pronounce Ls and Rs correctly, especially if you’re going to keep saying the word, “Brady”.
    “OK, I’ll just be as bwief as I can…”
    “Whoever has the ball last, and that time it was Bwady…”
    “The Titans game is a little twicky for me because Mike Vwabel’s the head coach…”
    “Yeah, but didn’t we say that about the Wions in week thwee, Josh?”
    “The Packahs game is a coin fwip…”
    Both Mensa and McKone are a-scared of Rodgers, like it’s 2010. The conventional wisdom is unrelenting.

Well, shit, he’d never be on that show then! And Cousy would probably give more coherent thoughts about football than these guys.

Participant

Janet Marie Smith weighs in on #MyFenway, Dodger Statidum and audacity.

Image result for ricola horns

“We’re one of the few sports that has the audacity to refer to our homes as cathedrals”

“The idea of this being a place where families have gone for generations, in both Los Angeles and Boston, is something that we have looked to celebrate.”

Humphrey
    Participant

Janet Marie Smith weighs in on #MyFenway and Dodger Statidum and audacity.

Image result for ricola horns

“We’re one of the few sports that has the audacity to refer to our homes as cathedrals”

“The idea of this being a place where families have gone for generations, in both Los Angeles and Boston, is something that we have looked to celebrate.”

Amazing that Dodger Stadium is the third oldest park in MLB…there is a 50 year gap between it and Fenway/Wrigley. The only one I can think of that perhaps left before its time was Forbes Field, at least on film it looks like a decent place. Ebbets was pretty much falling down, wasn’t it…and so was the Polo Grounds.

Cooz

Well, shit, he’d never be on that show then! And Cousy would probably give more coherent thoughts about football than these guys.

Good point. But Cousy wasn’t doing C’s color because of his elocution.

chicowalker
    Participant

anyone see a little of Uniball in the MAGAbomber?

Hearing Cousy do reads for the upcoming episode of Moesha was one of the few joys of late 90’s celtics games

Participant

anyone see a little of Uniball in the MAGAbomber?

Hearing Cousy do reads for the upcoming episode of Moesha was one of the few joys of late 90’s celtics games

Didn’t Kobe bang her?  With consent for a change?

NASCL
    Participant

Damn, Chief had me thinking we had no thread today. :lol:

chicowalker
    Participant

Moesha was apparently about a normal teen girl and the trials and tribulations of high school..who also interacted with all of these people :blink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moesha#Notable_guest_stars

makes Sher Schwartz look like a piker

A little more insidious racism from Loyko:

The “passed” is the coup de grace.

Sensing a pattern:

Suzy
    Participant

A little more insidious racism from Loyko:

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

The “passed” is the coup de grace.

Wow.  :blink:

Love or hate him, Sherman’s clearly intelligent, so what could he mean?

Lebron
    Participant

He should be fired as a teacher for that tweet alone.  ‘Passed’?  And you want to be my kids’ 4th grade teacher?

Seriously, what a shithead.

Ironhead
    Participant

I love Matt and Josh and you can’t make me think otherwise.

Obvi.

Big Fat O
    Participant

It’s only a matter of time until someone rats Loyko out to the school dept if they haven’t already.

Where does he teach again or did he quit to go work for Coach Betard?

Ironhead
    Participant

4th grade teacher, Mashpee.

Coma
    Participant

Sensing a pattern:

Draft analysis was Loyko’s alleged forte. He must have love Christian McCaffery over Dalvin Cook (or another non-white RB if those two were in different draft.)

Coach Bedard never noticed any of this and no one apparently clued him in on Loyko’s views. Aaron Hernandez, though, everyone associated with the Patriots should have seen that coming.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Coma.

jforb
    Participant

Good job, good effort from the Globe

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  jforb.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  jforb. Reason: de-chico-sized

Lebron
    Participant

What a bunch of lazy assholes.  “Rays” got by how many people that couldn’t be bothered to look?

Suzy
    Participant

Good job, good effort from the Globe

They haven’t employed editors in years, it seems. Gotta save all that money to pay the big guns who add nothing of value to the rag.

Speaking of Baldelli, I was thinking yesterday that when he first got sick, (Shank? California Bill?) mocked him for being lazy and unmotivated. The attack was so shockingly ignorant and vicious that FJM wrote a column about it detailing RB’s illness and outright said (Shank? CB?) owed Rocco an apology. Anyone else remember this?

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 188 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar