Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 10/28/19-11/3/19 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 204 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Coma 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 205 total)
  • Author

Participant

He was stunned the World Series game was crowded.  :lol:

2 users thanked author for this post.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Fatty is so predictable. More total ignorance of the scheduling formula:

• Sunday: Baltimore, Patriots at Ravens, 8:20 p.m. ET. Odd that two prominent teams in the same conference would have met just one time in the regular season in the last six years: a 30-23 Patriots win in 2016 in Foxboro. Bill Belichick grew up 34 miles from the site of M&T Bank Stadium, the Ravens’ home, in Annapolis, and he has deep ties to Maryland. Just odd his Patriots have played in Baltimore twice since 2007. I’d bet that Belichick has been to Baltimore more for lacrosse games than football games since 2007. Tough duty for the 8-0 Pats, with the 5-2 Ravens on such a good run and having the benefit of playing at home coming off the bye.

This is how this mentality seeps into the Felgers of the world and it’s rigged. Maybe you can ask your buddy Rog when you drop off his packages on Park Ave.

Lebron
    Participant

He was stunned the World Series game was crowded. :lol:

He also had something like “wow, the people of Washington DC sure like the Nationals!”

chicowalker
    Participant

Nobody drove 100 miles out of the way to go to 2 innings of the world series to see how many hot dogs they cram down their throat?

GusChiggins
    Participant

Count me as surprised that Brian is familiar with White Rabbit.

Participant

Hey Pete, did you hear about Godfather producer Robert Evans?

Participant

Who better to get you to .500?

“I’m told former Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher is a potential target for VanderbiltFisher remains popular in Nashville, and new Vanderbilt athletic director Malcolm Turner wouldn’t hesitate to make a nontraditional hire.”

Wonder if the ESPN reporter was told about the interest in Jeff Fisher, by Jeff Fisher himself?

BrianInLA
    Participant

Are we sure he’s not Andy Kaufman-ing everyone by this point?

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I wonder if Jeff Fisher is the source of the rumor that Jeff Fisher remains popular in Nashville?

3 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

So Flacco gripes about the shitty coaching in Denver and is now magically injured and ruled out for Sunday and possibly heading to IR.  Neck spasms or some such.  Al Czervik jpg.

Participant

If you are between ages of 15 and 85 and have ever had any interest in any sport or life itself, listen to this podcast with Bob Lobel, Mike Lynch and Hank Morse…great stuff about New England teams and how these boys covered them.

Coma
    Participant

Fatty is so predictable. More total ignorance of the scheduling formula:

• Sunday: Baltimore, Patriots at Ravens, 8:20 p.m. ET. Odd that two prominent teams in the same conference would have met just one time in the regular season in the last six years: a 30-23 Patriots win in 2016 in Foxboro. Bill Belichick grew up 34 miles from the site of M&T Bank Stadium, the Ravens’ home, in Annapolis, and he has deep ties to Maryland. Just odd his Patriots have played in Baltimore twice since 2007. I’d bet that Belichick has been to Baltimore more for lacrosse games than football games since 2007. Tough duty for the 8-0 Pats, with the 5-2 Ravens on such a good run and having the benefit of playing at home coming off the bye.

This is how this mentality seeps into the Felgers of the world and it’s rigged. Maybe you can ask your buddy Rog when you drop off his packages on Park Ave.

Why should the state where a coach grew up play any role in scheduling? Sean McVay was born in Ohio and went to high school in Georgia. It would be insane if the league tried to  have the Rams play the Browns and Falcons more frequently because of his state ties. Outside of PK, who would even think that would make the game more attractive?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I remember Halberstam (who was prone to exaggeration, admittedly) writing in The Education of a Coach that Belichick became enamored of New England when he did his post-grad year at Phillips Andover, enrolled at Wesleyan, and discovered Nantucket. He was born in Nashville IIRC when his father was an assistant at Vanderbilt, might have lived in Chapel Hill as a little boy when Steve moved to UNC, and then grew up in Annapolis during the Staubach era. That truly was the end of an era in which the two venerable service academies had huge national profiles and there’s no question that the ethos of the USNA is a huge part of his DNA (not to mention his love of lacrosse, which was massively popular in the mid-Atlantic when Belichick was growing up). But once he got out of Wesleyan, Belichick went where his career took him. Initially back to Maryland with the Colts when he was 23 as a staff assistant … but that’s his last connection to the Land of Pleasant Living. He was off to Detroit and Denver. Then, when he got to the Giants, was back in the Northeast, and started earning serious money as defensive coordinator, he and his family were able to establish a summer home on Nantucket. IIRC they maintained it while he was coaching in Cleveland, and — once he got back here in 1996 — during his year here as assistant head coach to Parcells and three years with the NYJ.  So, this is a TL;DR way of saying that Annapolis and Baltimore are part of his DNA, as is East Rutherford, and as is New England.  Why didn’t Fatty speculate about what would have happened if Modell had brought Belichick with him to Baltimore when he moved there in 1996?  Imagine that bit of serendipity. Odd and sad.

Yahtzee
    Participant

This is shaping up to be a delicious Steelers performance.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Big Fat O
    Participant
    If you are between ages of 15 and 85 and have ever had any interest in any sport or life itself, listen to this podcast with Bob Lobel, Mike Lynch and Hank Morse…great stuff about New England teams and how these boys covered them.

I think I would prefer being set on fire. Lynch would be interesting and even Lobel isn’t bad.

Hank Morse is the ultimate sycophant and name dropper. If you took a drink for every name he drops you will be passed out in 15 minutes.

Lebron
    Participant

You’d also be in the bag in 15 minutes if you drank to Swampscott and Harvard mentions from Lynchie

Participant

Cue the horns, 1st City Game/World’s Most Famous Arena version of the new season.

It is still possible for Madison Square Garden to sound like this.

It is still possible for the arena to elevate its athletes.

Big Fat O
    Participant

I would occasionally listen to the Hank, Shank and Barnicle show way back when during a commercial and all the 3 of them was name drop. Mike, remember joe, what a great guy. :puke:

Lefty

Breer says the Jets are willing to trade Lev Bell and have put out the word.  They have apparently received zero calls.

it’s Breer, so I question it, but it still amuses the hell out of me.

Lefty

And now, I hear old fraud Mortensen saying that Breer’s report is “misleading”.  This is high quality entertainment

3 users thanked author for this post.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Pats now 3/2 to win the Super Bowl and 2/5 to win the AFC. Come on. :lol: :lol:

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Bell’s contract would do profound harm to any team that took him on even if he never showed up in person. Why would anybody trade anything for him?

Lebron
    Participant

Plus whatever dead cap hit the Jets would take.

Bengals bench Dalton going with Ryan Findley.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

If I’m Miami I’m offering a 7th for Bell and a 5th, aka the Salary Dump Special.

Lebron
    Participant

Last thing Flores wants is that garbage contract.

Nugent gone

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 205 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar