Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 10/28/19-11/3/19 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 205 total)
  • Author
    Lefty

Bob Ryan’s gizzard is aggressively flapping all over the place on a tv in the bar I am at.   I had to look it up to confirm he is 75.  He looks 90.    Jesus.

Participant

Bob Ryan’s gizzard is aggressively flapping all over the place on a tv in the bar I am at. I had to look it up to confirm he is 75. He looks 90. Jesus.

When he gets going, it looks like Ali hitting the speed bag.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Bob Ryan’s gizzard is aggressively flapping all over the place on a tv in the bar I am at. I had to look it up to confirm he is 75. He looks 90. Jesus.

When he gets going, it looks like Ali hitting the speed bag.

How may “wottles” would 80-year-old Eddie Andelman award Highpants on his New and Updated Pre-Thanksgiving Dried Up Old Bird Awards show?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Turd Furguson
    Participant

2 Bills Drive for the most part are now thinking a dome will solve all their woes.

I’m assuming we’re all anti dome here?

Lefty

Jon Fucking Metergerbil auditioning for Garden announcer at tonight’s Bruins game.

Participant

Jon Fucking Metergerbil auditioning for Garden announcer at tonight’s Bruins game.

Typical – shit all over them every day for years – Monty Burns and his kid suck.

Coma
    Participant

Sounds like it was tough day at Deadspin, which is a shame.

I wonder if anyone there will take a minute to realize that, if their approach was more successful, they wouldn’t have to put up with edicts from management that they disagree with.

Coma
    Participant

I’m a day late with this, but I was interested to read PK’s coverage of the Jets-Kelechi Osemele situation. In his October 21st column, he wrote this:

Today: East Rutherford, N.J. Patriots-Jets, 8:20 p.m. With the Patriots offense missing some of its weaponry, it could be a golden time for the Jets to steal one, the way they did last Sunday against Dallas. But I wonder what factor the Kelechi Osemele story will have. Plucked from Oakland in the offseason to buttress one of the worst offensive lines in football, Osemele finds himself in a war with the Jets. He says he needs surgery to repair a torn labrum, and doesn’t want to keep playing while being medicated with the strong anti-inflammatory Toradol. The Jets say the injury is not that severe and he can play through the rest of the season and have it repaired in the winter, and fined him Saturday for not practicing. Four of their five offensive linemen will either miss the game or play hurt—not good against a team with the best defense in football.

His assessment on Monday:

8. I think there is so much about the Kelechi Osemele-versus-Jets we can’t know, and don’t know. But at its base, Osemele says he was in significant shoulder pain and was tired of taking the mega-painkiller Toradol to mask it so he could keep playing. The Jets disagreed with Osemele’s characterization of the severity of the injury. Last week, Osemele chose to have the shoulder fixed by an independent surgeon, ending his season. The Jets fired Osemele. Having admitted there is much that we don’t know, I think I would have to see overwhelming evidence in the Jets’ favor to side with them. Asking a player to mask the pain of a torn labrum with painkillers and continue playing? That should not be a part of the NFL—even though I know many players do it.

He went from viewing Osemele’s injury through the lens of how that will impact the Monday night game against the Patriots to “there’s so much…we can’t and don’t know.” This is top NFL writer in the country. If he wanted to know more about the situation, he would. Some anonymous source from either side would have something to say, if PK asked. Somehow, the guy who has no problem naming a “goat of the week” and voiced a strong opinion about baseball announcers being quiet for too long after a batter took a fastball to the face just doesn’t know enough to say much either way.

Like his comments on Tyreek Hill a few months ago, King has addressed this in a fashion that won’t upset anyone he considers important and now he’s done. There won’t be a scathing commentary in next week’s column about how it’s absurd that, in 2019, an NFL team is forcing a player to play through an injury or get cut and how the league needs to make an example of the Jets in order to break this mindset. He’s maintaining all his access and friends, though, and that’s what really important.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Yahtzee
    Participant

Umpire meltdown in Houston.

Lebron
    Participant

That interference call was a shit show.  They couldn’t actually review it and spent 5 minutes going through what looked like a replay review.  Then in between innings they toss Dave Martinez.

Hacksaw
    Participant

His Latin temper got the best of him.

jforb
    Participant

The hell would you take Strasburg out there?

Participant

Ted Johnson lamenting how difficult it is to do the pre and post game shows when the games “aren’t compelling” – GFY.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

His Latin temper got the best of him.

“Watch your wallet!” </Steve Lyons>

Suzy
    Participant

I’m a day late with this, but I was interested to read PK’s coverage of the Jets-Kelechi Osemele situation. In his October 21st column, he wrote this:

Today: East Rutherford, N.J. Patriots-Jets, 8:20 p.m. With the Patriots offense missing some of its weaponry, it could be a golden time for the Jets to steal one, the way they did last Sunday against Dallas. But I wonder what factor the Kelechi Osemele story will have. Plucked from Oakland in the offseason to buttress one of the worst offensive lines in football, Osemele finds himself in a war with the Jets. He says he needs surgery to repair a torn labrum, and doesn’t want to keep playing while being medicated with the strong anti-inflammatory Toradol. The Jets say the injury is not that severe and he can play through the rest of the season and have it repaired in the winter, and fined him Saturday for not practicing. Four of their five offensive linemen will either miss the game or play hurt—not good against a team with the best defense in football.

His assessment on Monday:

8. I think there is so much about the Kelechi Osemele-versus-Jets we can’t know, and don’t know. But at its base, Osemele says he was in significant shoulder pain and was tired of taking the mega-painkiller Toradol to mask it so he could keep playing. The Jets disagreed with Osemele’s characterization of the severity of the injury. Last week, Osemele chose to have the shoulder fixed by an independent surgeon, ending his season. The Jets fired Osemele. Having admitted there is much that we don’t know, I think I would have to see overwhelming evidence in the Jets’ favor to side with them. Asking a player to mask the pain of a torn labrum with painkillers and continue playing? That should not be a part of the NFL—even though I know many players do it.

He went from viewing Osemele’s injury through the lens of how that will impact the Monday night game against the Patriots to “there’s so much…we can’t and don’t know.” This is top NFL writer in the country. If he wanted to know more about the situation, he would. Some anonymous source from either side would have something to say, if PK asked. Somehow, the guy who has no problem naming a “goat of the week” and voiced a strong opinion about baseball announcers being quiet for too long after a batter took a fastball to the face just doesn’t know enough to say much either way.

Like his comments on Tyreek Hill a few months ago, King has addressed this in a fashion that won’t upset anyone he considers important and now he’s done. There won’t be a scathing commentary in next week’s column about how it’s absurd that, in 2019, an NFL team is forcing a player to play through an injury or get cut and how the league needs to make an example of the Jets in order to break this mindset. He’s maintaining all his access and friends, though, and that’s what really important.

So well said, Coma. A bigger fraud doesn’t exist, anywhere.

Didn’t know he names a goat of the week. God, what a cunt.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Suzy
    Participant

That interference call was a shit show. They couldn’t actually review it and spent 5 minutes going through what looked like a replay review. Then in between innings they toss Dave Martinez.

Unbelievable. And the radio announcer (??) said something like, whatever Joe Torre just said to AJ Hinch has Hinch LIVID. Apparently, Joe took to the field during a commercial. Wonder what he said to him…can’t stand Joe, he’s another overrated, holier-than-thou dink. He looked like half a stuttering, stammering fool trying to explain the rule to Bowtie Boy. In fairness, he wasn’t expecting to be called out by a player on national TV for being a coward. :lol:

Wild game.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

Joe basically was saying that Turner has to get out of the way of the throw. Which of course makes no sense.

BrianInLA
    Participant

===

Joe Torre explained that Turner was called out not because he was running out of the 45-foot line but because he interfered with Gurriel catching the ball. The ball and Turner arrived at same time at the base. That is when Turner has the right to be in fair territory. Bad call.

Suzy
    Participant

Joe basically was saying that Turner has to get out of the way of the throw. Which of course makes no sense.

So he was telling him that Turner had no other option but to run the way he did, and Hinch took exception to that? Because that scenario would make sense.

Joe reminded me a bit of Bud Selig when the AS game ran out of pitchers. Just looked uncomfortable, resigned & befuddled all at once. It was an odd situation for such a big game & of course, could have ended up being much worse without Rendon’s big night.

Lebron
    Participant

Torre was a shitty manager in 2 different stops before New York and if memory serves he was more or less the only guy who would take the job in ’96.  Stumbles in to 4 WS titles and 2 other appearances.  Agreed I hate that guy.

His explanation was a joke.  Get out of the way of the throw?  This isn’t Reggie Jackson sticking his ass out in ’77 (maybe it was ’78) or Ed Armbrister acting like a barrier in ’75.  He’s running to first and the ball is behind him.  He’s in the dirt and he even maneuvered himself to the middle of the bag when he hit it.  What the fuck.  If they called that stuff regularly it might be one thing.

Bregman is such a jerk off.  He was the one leading the way playing the Eovaldi videos last year, right?  I mostly don’t care about carrying the bat but then saying oops I got caught up in the moment was like Clemens explanation of throwing a splintered chunk of bat at Piazza thinking it was the ball.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Humphrey
    Participant

===

Joe Torre explained that Turner was called out not because he was running out of the 45-foot line but because he interfered with Gurriel catching the ball. The ball and Turner arrived at same time at the base. That is when Turner has the right to be in fair territory. Bad call.

Baseball needs the double first base like softball…would eliminate this problem almost totally.

Suzy
    Participant

===

I did read that much later on. Still not sure why Hinch be pissed over that, though. According to the radio guy, he was “livid.”

Suzy
    Participant

Torre had that comment about Wakefield, something about…blah blah, he’d still be waiting another 86 years if not for blah blah, some asshole comment that of course he never received any blowback for, because he’s so classy.

Forgot Clemens said that. :lol:

Surprised that Bregman apologized, just own it; you’re a known douche. And yeah, he was the one with the videos last year, and also the one who pointed at Benintendi  menacingly before a game last postseason…Benny was like, huh? and laughed at him.

BrianInLA
    Participant

That was Bregman last year who did that. And I think went 0-24 the rest of the way after that.

Lebron
    Participant

The Clemens thing was so bizarre.  I thought it was the ball.  Did you also think you were playing backyard wiffleball with the old “Indian Rubber” rules?

Verlander’s teams have never won a World Series game he’s pitched in.  That’s strange.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 205 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar