Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 10/28/19-11/3/19 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 205 total)
  • Author
    Lebron
    Participant

So, Steelers player threatens/hits his girlfriend and gets criminally charged. She decides not to press charges and the local DA agrees, saying they seem to hold “no animosity toward each other.” NFL’s response so far? Reinstated, nothing else to see here.

integrity!

Because there aren’t a boatload of DV cases where the spouse/girlfriend doesn’t want charges pressed and they go forward anyhow?  Sounds like The Fixer set up a local DA with season tickets.  Goodell and his gang can put a wrap on this one and talk about where to get lunch.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Speaking of mouthy frauds, Durant used to respond to anything Screamin’ A had to say with ‘I don’t talk to you and no one I know talks to you’ and now he’s doing some “Boardroom” segment on ESPN with none other than Screamin’ A.  He also has to let us know how meanie Draymond drove him out of town.

BrianInLA
    Participant

That Field of Dreams game is so weird, what’s the point? That field has been sitting there for what 30 years? Why play a game on that field now? And Yankees-White Sox? I feel like I’m missing some fagola historical significance.

If they keep the corn as the outfield wall then I’m all in. It will resemble the whiffle ball games we played as kids with always losing the damn ball.

Coma
    Participant

So, Steelers player threatens/hits his girlfriend and gets criminally charged. She decides not to press charges and the local DA agrees, saying they seem to hold “no animosity toward each other.” NFL’s response so far? Reinstated, nothing else to see here.

integrity!

Plus, his name is Chickillo. That’s an implication that it’s okay to kill chicks and has to be a violation of the personal conduct policy. I’m sure Klemko will have a hard hitting investigative article out early next week.

NASCL
    Participant

Meet the Gills

Humphrey
    Participant

What a torch brigade the ‘stros pen was. Reminded me a little of Game 7 in 1986 when Hurst left in a tie game and the pen couldn’t get anyone out. And starters sitting in the bullpen watching this unravel.

Coma
    Participant

Meet the Gills

Aren’t you a little pathetic for a Stormtrooper?

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

That Field of Dreams game is so weird, what’s the point? That field has been sitting there for what 30 years? Why play a game on that field now? And Yankees-White Sox? I feel like I’m missing some fagola historical significance.

One hundred year anniversary of the 1920 trial of the eight White Sox players accused of throwing the 1919 World Series?* That’s something worth remembering and celebrating. :dry:

*They were acquitted but the new commissioner, that fraud Landis, banned them for life anyway.

And, by the way, Shoeless Joe Jackson was an illiterate country boy from backwater South Carolina. Why the fuck did they cast Ray Liotta in that part? Incomprehensible.

Lefty

One hundred year anniversary of the trial of the eight White Sox players accused of throwing the 1919 World Series?* That’s something worth remembering and celebrating. :dry:

*They were acquitted but the new commissioner, that fraud Landis, banned them for life anyway.

And, by the way, Shoeless Joe Jackson was an illiterate country boy from backwater South Carolina. Why the fuck did they cast Ray Liotta in that part? Incomprehensible.

And, not to go all Olberman about it, but Liotta batted right handed while Shoeless Joe batted lefty.

NASCL
    Participant

One hundred year anniversary of the trial of the eight White Sox players accused of throwing the 1919 World Series?* That’s something worth remembering and celebrating. :dry:

And, not to go all Olberman about it, but Liotta batted right handed while Shoeless Joe batted lefty.

That’s just because we’re standing on opposite sides. See, when we

met, I was over there and you were over here so the image was reversed, like in

the mirror.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

In the movie about Lou Gehrig, they let Gary Cooper bat his natural way, right-handed, but they reversed the logo and NEW YORK on his uni so they could capture Gehrig’s left-handed throwing/batting habits.

EDIT: A mediocre movie and redeemed only by the fact that 46-year-old Babe Ruth plays himself.

Lebron
    Participant

What a torch brigade the ‘stros pen was. Reminded me a little of Game 7 in 1986 when Hurst left in a tie game and the pen couldn’t get anyone out. And starters sitting in the bullpen watching this unravel.

I really don’t get why Hinch didn’t bring in Cole.  Who knows if the outcome is different but you would think that would be the guy you want.  He was ready.

Lebron
    Participant

If they keep the corn as the outfield wall then I’m all in. It will resemble the whiffle ball games we played as kids with always losing the damn ball.

If they do that and the Red Sox were involved they’d have dead players emerging from the corn field throughout the game.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I hate that fucking movie. Self-important, self indulgent crap.

Field of Dreams or Avatar?

Probably both?

jforb
    Participant

I hate that fucking movie. Self-important, self indulgent crap.

Field of Dreams or Avatar?

Probably both?

Star Wars?

BrianInLA
    Participant

I really don’t get why Hinch didn’t bring in Cole. Who knows if the outcome is different but you would think that would be the guy you want. He was ready.

He wanted him to start a clean inning. Its like saving the best starter for game 7 and then never getting to game 7. :dry:

Lebron
    Participant

I thought that might be the case with the clean inning but for chrissakes its the 7th game of the World Series.  Sorry I can’t hand you a perfectly clean inning cupcake.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Kingasaurus
    Participant

Because the filmmakers knew that 99% of the audience didn’t know or give a damn what the real Jackson looked or sounded like, or his real bio. Might be the most blatant case of the actor being much better looking than the real guy he was hired to portray. Ironically, “Eight Men Out” (a much better movie about the similar subject) cast John Anderson as KM Landis, which might be the most perfect casting ever. He looks just like the dictatorial MFer.

I’m a total sucker for sentimentality and supernatural weirdness in movies. But not having Negro Leaguers in FOD was a ridiculous oversight, even in the 80’s. Especially with JEJ giving that cornball speech. Through omission and not caring about details, they basically implied that Heaven is segregated. Oof.

Lancaster’s gravitas as a screen legend partially rescues the film for the short time he’s in it. Baseball-as-Myth was done much better in “The Natural.”

chicowalker
    Participant

can they get this crew to Iowa?

it would be worth it to watch Long Island Meatloaf guzzle pure HFCS so close to it’s source

6 users thanked author for this post.

Ironically, “Eight Men Out” (a much better movie about the similar subject) cast John Anderson as KM Landis, which might be the most perfect casting ever. He looks just like the dictatorial MFer.

Same movie, Ring Lardner lookalike John Sayles cast himself as Ring Lardner:

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Was going to post the same thing about Sayles/Lardner. Also liked Studs Terkel as old Chicago scribe Hugh Fullerton.

Minor gripe: Was John Mahoney (played Kid Gleason, the Black Sox’ befuddled and innocent manager) in every American movie of the 1980s and 1990s?

Lebron
    Participant

Mahoney was spectacular as the dad in She’s The One.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Didn’t know this about Mahoney until he died: he was English and lived in the UK until he was 18 when he emigrated to the U.S. :blink:  Not sure I ever saw him play a Brit.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Keyshawn Johnson is still playing? Who knew?

Big Fat O
    Participant

Who should I be rooting for Jimmy or Chandler or both? Whoever has the best game we’ll be reminded how BB let them get away.

Jimmy is going to be a good QB but the Pats are not 8-0 with him at QB.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 205 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar