Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 10/29/2018 Daily Thread – Victory Edition!

This topic contains 115 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  chicowalker 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 116 total)
  • Author

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Oh, and Pats-Bills tonight.

Great, satisfying way to close out the series. Every player that was down in the Series got redemption. Except Kinsler but he’ll live.

I believe that it wouldn’t be a stretch to say that each of the four local teams would be favored to win a game against the combined rosters of their New York rivals.

• Patriots would beat a Jets+Giants combined squad
    • Celtics would beat a Knicks+Nets team
    • Red Sox would beat a Yankees+Mets team? This is actually dicey since it’d be the already good Yankees team plus some very good starting pitchers. Maybe a push?
    • Bruins would beat Rangers+Islanders?

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Ack! Mods please merge threads.

RedSeat
    Participant

Did they let Pomeranz hold the trophy yet?

It’s OK Drew, your time’s coming. We’re just gonna let Nate keep this a while longer.

Humphrey
    Participant

Did they let Pomeranz hold the trophy yet?

It’s OK Drew, your time’s coming. We’re just gonna let Nate keep this a while longer.

I was a little afraid when Nunez got hold of it given his adventures in Game 3.

RedSeat
    Participant

Note to the rest of baseball. Most of this team will be back in 2019. Nunez (player option), Pearce and Kinsler are the only position players not signed or under team control. Kimbrel, Eovaldi, Kelly, and Pomeranz are the only unsigned pitchers.

Sign a closer, a couple bullpen arms, and a RH bat and PTT.

Participant

What’s your is mine – McButterpants Division:

” I don’t get why lotteries aren’t capped. Why not give the winner, say, a max of $20 million, and spread the wealth to scores of people instead of letting it wash over one person? Most people, certainly, are incapable of knowing what to do with a lump sum of $113 million, as Jack Whittaker was. Heck, he’d have been incapable of handling $5 million. But read that story. What a waste of money and human life. Spread it around.”

Kingasaurus
    Participant

” I don’t get why lotteries aren’t capped. Why not give the winner, say, a max of $20 million, and spread the wealth to scores of people instead of letting it wash over one person? Most people, certainly, are incapable of knowing what to do with a lump sum of $113 million, as Jack Whittaker was. Heck, he’d have been incapable of handling $5 million. But read that story. What a waste of money and human life. Spread it around.”

God, I hate his guts more everyday.

How about it’s none of your business how other people spend their money, you clueless sack of shit.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Was there last night in a box with diehard Dodger fans. It was LOUD and the Sox fans are far louder than LA fans (and drink far more). When Pearce hit the home run in the 1st it sucked the life out of all of Dodger fans. They knew it was over. When Betts hit the homer in the 6th it was over and fans started heading for the exits. I left the box and headed down to the lower section with the other psycho Sox fans. Was a pretty joyous experience and good for David Price on the biggest stage. The Sox rolled the Dodgers without really getting anything from their top hitters the entire series.

This morning its ALL Roberts and Kershaw’s fault according to the media. It has to be coming from up top as Roberts contract is up but its well known he gets direction on what to do during the games from Andrew Freidman (who is in the middle of something like a 6yr/$30 million contract so they’re NOT firing that guy). No credit to the Sox. 100% Roberts fault. Its Roberts fault his team basically had ONE real hit yesterday and it was on the first pitch. The bloop single Benentendi seemed to get a bad jump on and the triple JD lost in the LA sky. So one hit. Thats on Dave. The night before when the Dodgers were gifted a 4-0 lead (Sox turn the DP and its 0-0) and the Sox tie it its still 4-4, new game. What happens? Sox score 5. Dodgers 2. All 7 Dodger pitchers give up at least 1 run. Thats on Dave? The Dodgers hitters were crap the entire series. The only thing I remember of Machado is hitting a ball off the wall and getting a single and stepping on the MVP’s foot. The Dodger pitching staff completely sucked aside from Hill and Buehler. Every other pitcher was terrible. That’s more than likely because the Sox are so damn good. But no credit there.

The fans on the other hand put the blame where it belongs. The players just aren’t good enough and the team isn’t built the way to win a world series these days. They are a “home run or K” team. It can win some games but it just doesn’t seem it can be sustainable. And the bullpen was just completely terrible. No matter who Roberts went to they did poorly. I really do think thats more on the Sox approach to hitting than it is with the Dodgers pitchers all of a sudden being bad.

Finally Hill has a bit of Steelers in him as after the game I was listening on the radio on the way home and he said something along the lines of “The better team didn’t win”. He HANDED the ball to Roberts when Roberts was coming out to ask him how he was doing. How is that Daves fault? Dave will more than likely not get his option picked up and there is already talk he might head north to the Giants or perhaps Tampa. Kershaw has until Wednesday to decide what to do but I’m guessing he heads to one of the Texas teams. The rumor is he wants $30 million a year and thats not happening from anyone.

To answer the question from yesterday on the ranking of LA Sports right now:

1. Dodgers

1a. Lakers (there are more Dodger fans than Laker fans but that’s just because far more people care about baseball here than basketball)

(huge huge gap)

3. Rams

(another huge gap)

4. Raiders

(even larger gap)

5. Clippers

(biggest gap you can imagine)

6t. Kings

6t. Chargers

6t. Galaxy

9. Sparx

10. LAFC

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  BrianInLA.

Yahtzee
    Participant

The NY Post back cover is pretty funny.  Don’t think I can link to it directly but this is close:

https://nypost.com/cover/covers-for-october-29-2018/

Covers for October 29, 2018Covers for October 29, 2018Covers for October 29, 2018

Humphrey
    Participant

Note to the rest of baseball. Most of this team will be back in 2019. Nunez (player option), Pearce and Kinsler are the only position players not signed or under team control. Kimbrel, Eovaldi, Kelly, and Pomeranz are the only unsigned pitchers.

Sign a closer, a couple bullpen arms, and a RH bat and PTT.

I’m surprised Nick didn’t have a column out this morning. With each unsigned guy a possibility for the Yankees.

Actually, Price still can opt out, can’t he?

jforb
    Participant

Odds that she died from an accident?

A few words about the family of Dan Pompei, who has covered the NFL nobly for decades; he’s one of those in this business whose stories, every one, are must-reads for me. Dan’s daughter Anna, 21, died last week, and her death struck those of us who know Dan well like a head-on crash.

Feejis
    Participant

Price was immense and I’m glad for a guy that gets shit on a lot to be able to throw it back at folks. Even if he doesn’t appear to be the greatest guy, his teammates love him so that’s realky all that matters.

That said, I wouldn’t be sad if he opted out.

jforb
    Participant

Anyone complain about Price jogging on his ground ball yet? He was third one into the pile (beating the infielders), so he can clearly run.

Coma
    Participant

I don’t get why media salaries aren’t capped. Why not give Peter King, say, a max of $80K, and spread the wealth to scores of readers who wade through his drek instead of letting it wash over one person who lives in Manhattan?

I can’t adequately express how out of touch with reality and “regular” people King is.

Humphrey
    Participant

(apologies if mentioned yesterday)
    Lord Douchepont’s lead paragraphs in his notes column were about some former owner of the Islanders who was considering training sumo wrestlers to play goalie.

Shocked and outraged that it was not mentioned who came up with the idea first.

EGA

Coma
    Participant

A few words about the family of Dan Pompei, who has covered the NFL nobly for decades; he’s one of those in this business whose stories, every one, are must-reads for me. Dan’s daughter Anna, 21, died last week, and her death struck those of us who know Dan well like a head-on crash.

Do you specifically mean a head-on collision between two vehicles?

Edit to add, I found this from August:

Anna Pompei, 21, a resident of the 1100 block of Austin, Park Ridge, was arrested Aug. 3 at the Hyatt Place Hotel, 6810 Mannheim. The hotel staff had found her, collapsed on the floor and bleeding, shortly before 8 a.m., according to police. Efforts to secure her to a stretcher to take her to the hospital were hampered by her alleged aggressive objections. Police reported she spat at a police officer, a fire officer with the ambulance and two security officers at Presence Hospital, each earning her Class 2 Felony Aggravated Battery charges. A plastic baggy with white powder (suspect heroin) was reportedly found inside her clothing, earning a charge of Possession of a Controlled Substance. Although she later was sent to the police station, police reports said, she experienced a seizure overnight and was returned to the hospital. Court information was not available.

Based on her age and the location, that’s most likely Pompei’s daughter. That’s a sad situation. I wouldn’t know the first thing about dealing with a child with addiction issues. King probably didn’t make some drug or overdose related reference because one doesn’t easily come to mind.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Coma.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Do you specifically mean a head-on collision between two vehicles?

I think I saw she was an addict, so I would guess OD. God, Pete is awful, what horrible word choice.

I don’t know shit about Dan Pompei, but it has to be about the worst thing imaginable to lose a child any way at all.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Yet he has no issue with Goodell pulling down $40M+ a year. Talk about a lottery winner.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Anyone complain about Price jogging on his ground ball yet? He was third one into the pile (beating the infielders), so he can clearly run.

I got one of those mid-game.

chicowalker
    Participant

Jack Whittaker is like 4 the lottery ruined my life stories ago.  Try and keep up, fatty

Coma
    Participant

I saw that Tyronn Lue was fired yesterday. Was it someone from the media who claimed on twitter that he was a better coach than Brad Stevens due to his playoff success or just some fan?

Suzy
    Participant

No matter how the poor girl died, that’s typically insensitive and horrible wording by that flaming asshole. If it was an accident, holy shit, get help already.
    Everything he writes is always, always about himself. I loathe no one more.

BrianInLA
    Participant

I’m 100% convinced the Sox told all of their pitchers to NOT run hard on routine plays. They were more than happy to take the out in the field to protect the health of guys who just aren’t used to sprinting 90 feet at a time. After Erod was erased on that double play they were all laughing and joking around in the dugout.

NASCL
    Participant

Parade set.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 116 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar