Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 10/5-10/8/2018 Columbus Day Extended Weekend Thread

This topic contains 131 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Fred West Lynn 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 132 total)
  • Author

Yahtzee
    Participant

Making the executive decision to wrap the thread around the weekend.

Happy Indigenous Peoples Day to our friends in Cambridge and Somerville.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I like how Gordon split the defenders and came back to that ball on the long TD. Lets hope he keeps his nose clean over the Holiday weekend.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I like how Gordon split the defenders and came back to that ball on the long TD. Lets hope he keeps his nose clean over the Holiday weekend.

It was that play from every season ending playoff game from 2006-2010 when Brady has all day to throw but no one is open, so he throws up a deep prayer to Brandon Tate, but this time it was caught because Gordon isn’t Brandon Tate.

Lefty

Does this mean the end of the bi-annual Matthew Slater deep ball?

Participant

Marchand is usually halfway decent – not the case today – guess who?

“It is because we are smaller,” “In your town, there is so much else. In L.A., nobody cares about sports. Here, it is very small and tribal and personal.”

https://nypost.com/2018/10/04/boston-media-wont-let-red-sox-live-down-a-disappointment/

Nick B
    Participant

Bruins had a much better night in Bufalo. Brad Marchand with the big 4 point night.

jforb
    Participant

So was the Gronk play a fumble or interception finally?

Nick B
    Participant

ended up ruling it as a int.

ended up ruling it as a int.

Which makes zero sense. Had the ball hit the ground and gotten recovered by Indy, they surely (and correctly) would have called it a fumble. By their new definition,  it was a catch.

Not that the end result changes, but it’d be nice if they were consistent.

jforb
    Participant

They were consistent, just wrong. The Colts had one that was pretty clearly a catch and fumble under the new rules ruled incomplete.

RedSeat
    Participant

Not that the end result changes, but it’d be nice if they were consistent.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Don’t worry, Volin’s on it. If it’s a fumble, it adversely affects Gronk’s ability to meet his incentives. If it’s an interception, Brady won’t be able to meet his incentives.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

“It is because we are smaller,” “In your town, there is so much else. In L.A., nobody cares about sports. Here, it is very small and tribal and personal.”

https://nypost.com/2018/10/04/boston-media-wont-let-red-sox-live-down-a-disappointment/

Desperate for some escape, I picked up and re-read Jim Brosnan’s The Long Season this week. It’s his diary of the 1959 season and that sumbitch knew how to write (advertising copywriter in the off-season). He starts the year with the Cardinals, pitches badly, then is traded to the Cincinnati “Redlegs” in June. He devotes quite a bit of verbiage to St. Louis baseball fans and their proclivities, and — surprise, surprise — the Best Baseball Fans In The USA were a bunch of front-running boo-birds who made his life miserable, and did the same to any Cardinal not meeting their standards. They were cheered on in this endeavor by Harry Caray, then working on his first liver as the Cards’ play by play man. Johnny Most may have been a homer, but I never recall him crapping on the lesser Celtics, even during their 1977-79 doldrums.

Brosnan’s salary was $18,500 a year — and he was one of the higher-paid pitchers on the staff.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Speaking of Marchand, his name is apparently pronounced “Mar-shond” again. Wasn’t that the pronunciation during their Cup year, and then the word went out that it should be pronounced “Mar-shand”?   FWIW, the first pronunciation is the French way, so maybe he has rediscovered his Acadian roots.   :lol:

Yahtzee
    Participant

“It is because we are smaller,” “In your town, there is so much else. In L.A., nobody cares about sports. Here, it is very small and tribal and personal.”

Bruins had a much better night in Bufalo. Brad Marchand with the big 4 point night.

Who would have predicted back-to-back Marchand posts and not even about the same person?!

Hacksaw
    Participant

I guess back in 1978 both teams met in a one game playoff.

Anyone hear of this?

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Is he still Marshmont from 2-6 or are the B’s takes not hot enough for them anymore?

Suzy
    Participant

Last year, Shaughnessy broke the story of the then-struggling David Price cursing and mocking Eckersely, telling him to “Get the [expletive] out of here” on a charter flight.

“broke the story”  :rollseyes:

As long as the douchebag has morons who will write stupid shit like this, his lame shtick will continue to flourish.  :weei:

chicowalker
    Participant

Dodgers only led MLB in attendance.  Took me 4 whole seconds to look that up

http://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

Coma
    Participant

Dodgers only led MLB in attendance. Took me 4 whole seconds to look that up

No one in LA is interested in the Lakers this year. At all.

Suzy
    Participant

Dodgers only led MLB in attendance. Took me 4 whole seconds to look that up

No one in LA is interested in the Lakers this year. At all.

He talks out of his ass and people think he’s some sort of regional spokesman. So fucking infuriating.

GusChiggins
    Participant

Don’t worry, Volin’s on it. If it’s a fumble, it adversely affects Gronk’s ability to meet his incentives. If it’s an interception, Brady won’t be able to meet his incentives.

More money for to help cover the record profits by the Kraft Group.

More disingenuous water-carrying:

And as to the notion that only $10 million would have been fully guaranteed, at a time when the 2018 franchise tender for Bell is $14.54 million, the package included a $10 million roster bonus due not long after signing, making the practical guarantee $20 million.

Nobody tries to get the PR spin out against their players as much as the Steelers. While those numbers look big to their dumbass fans, Gurley got a $20M signing bonus, and $40M guaranteed overall.

I personally don’t subscribe to paying running backs that much, but Bell absolutely has a case that the Steelers are lowballing him on guaranteed dollars.

Coma
    Participant

On a different topic, the Ravens ran one of those devilish ineligible receiver plays against Pittsburgh last week. NBC’s former official/rules expert said the tight end may not have been lined up correctly and the play should have resulted in a penalty. Even though I think a story about Harbaugh’s hypocrisy would have been very easy to write, I wasn’t too surprised that the media didn’t pick this up. PFT, who took the time to post an article about the Patriots avoiding a RTP penalty on the Chung/Flowers sack, ignored it. The only article I saw was from Thornton, who barely qualifies as “media.”

What I was more surprised by was that the Steelers message boards didn’t think this was a big deal, either. That play came on a drive that ended with the Ravens kicking a FG to go up 23-14 late in the 4th quarter. I expected to see multiple page threads questioning the legality of the play and complaining about Harbaugh working to outlaw those plays and then using them himself. I looked at 4 different boards and there was nothing. I don’t think that would have been the case if it was Hollister catching that pass instead of Maxx Williams.

Maybe they consider Foxboro a darker place than Baltimore.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 132 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar