Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 10/5-10/8/2018 Columbus Day Extended Weekend Thread

This topic contains 131 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Fred West Lynn 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 132 total)
  • Author

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

What ever happened to the reports from the Bills and Jets fan boards? The rise and fall of their rookie QBs would have been fun to follow.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

chicowalker
    Participant

What ever happened to the reports from the Bills and Jets fan boards? The rise and fall of their rookie QBs would have been fun to follow.

I hate my life. Brady had so much time it was unreal. How the F does that happen?! He could’ve composed a fckn opera back there and revised three drafts with a fountain pen in his spare time. Good God. Game over.  :lol:  

Yahtzee
    Participant

Verlander dealing. No hits through 5.

Hacksaw
    Participant

I have been listening to Mad Dog Russo. MDR is going with Yankees in four games and Red Sox fans are scared.

MDR also had Sean McAdam on, McAdam said “This season one the most he has followed the team in a person, he cannot predict what they are going to do they have been unpredictable all season..” and thinks the Red Sox will win in five.

I know MDR has a show and needs callers thats how his prediction works. In regards to McAdam’s all of sudden the Red Sox has no direction and his lucky to be where they are? Wonder if Pedroia has been talking to him.

jforb
    Participant

Speaking of picks, haven’t checked in on the Globe yet this year.

MATCHUP (LINE) CHRISTOPHER L.GASPER JIM MCBRIDE NORA PRINCIOTTI SCOTT THURSTON BEN VOLIN
    LAST WEEK 7-7-1 8-6-1 7-7-1 9-5-1 8-6-1
    SEASON 28-33-2 31-30-2 26-35-2 30-31-2 36-25-2
    BEST BETS 2-2 0-4 2-2 2-2 2-2

Yahtzee
    Participant

Wasn’t McAdam a beat writer for years?  I guess not.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Wasn’t McAdam a beat writer for years? I guess not.

My thoughts exactly. He had to be playing to the MDR theme.

Lebron
    Participant

Dumb I know but I remember MLB pretty much harrassing Francona about wearing his jersey during games, so much so that they actually did an in game check at Yankee Stadium.  No way Craig Counsell of the Brewers is wearing a jersey under that long sleeve t-shirt.  Christ that was dumb.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I didn’t realize the Yankees game was at 7:30. I just assumed it’d be 9:50 or some BS like that.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

On a different topic, the Ravens ran one of those devilish ineligible receiver plays against Pittsburgh last week. NBC’s former official/rules expert said the tight end may not have been lined up correctly and the play should have resulted in a penalty. Even though I think a story about Harbaugh’s hypocrisy would have been very easy to write, I wasn’t too surprised that the media didn’t pick this up. PFT, who took the time to post an article about the Patriots avoiding a RTP penalty on the Chung/Flowers sack, ignored it. The only article I saw was from Thornton, who barely qualifies as “media.”

What I was more surprised by was that the Steelers message boards didn’t think this was a big deal, either. That play came on a drive that ended with the Ravens kicking a FG to go up 23-14 late in the 4th quarter. I expected to see multiple page threads questioning the legality of the play and complaining about Harbaugh working to outlaw those plays and then using them himself. I looked at 4 different boards and there was nothing. I don’t think that would have been the case if it was Hollister catching that pass instead of Maxx Williams.

The Pats should run that with Cyrus Jones as the ineligible man. You’d have to at least think about covering him.

Big Fat O
    Participant

I’m sure Coach Betard isn’t paying the big bucks so McAdam has to whore himself out to the lowest common denominator to make ends meet.

Coma
    Participant

On a different topic, the Ravens ran one of those devilish ineligible receiver plays against Pittsburgh last week. NBC’s former official/rules expert said the tight end may not have been lined up correctly and the play should have resulted in a penalty. Even though I think a story about Harbaugh’s hypocrisy would have been very easy to write, I wasn’t too surprised that the media didn’t pick this up. PFT, who took the time to post an article about the Patriots avoiding a RTP penalty on the Chung/Flowers sack, ignored it. The only article I saw was from Thornton, who barely qualifies as “media.”

What I was more surprised by was that the Steelers message boards didn’t think this was a big deal, either. That play came on a drive that ended with the Ravens kicking a FG to go up 23-14 late in the 4th quarter. I expected to see multiple page threads questioning the legality of the play and complaining about Harbaugh working to outlaw those plays and then using them himself. I looked at 4 different boards and there was nothing. I don’t think that would have been the case if it was Hollister catching that pass instead of Maxx Williams.

The Pats should run that with Cyrus Jones as the ineligible man. You’d have to at least think about covering him.

A defensive player taking snaps on offense? No one’s ever seen that before.

Big Fat O
    Participant

I was told Sale was DUN and Price will choke so it will be over in 4. Guess that’s not case.

Whos bright idea is it to put Futiliy Lou in the booth? Someone not so bright.

Hacksaw
    Participant

I was told Sale was DUN and Price will choke so it will be over in 4. Guess that’s not case.

Whos bright idea is it to put Futiliy Lou in the booth? Someone not so bright.

You mean the The Bob Uecker of Pawtucket.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

The Bend But Don’t Break Bullpen comes through in the end!

Participant

“This is not sustainable.” Upright Sphincter Tony Massarotti.

Coma
    Participant

“This is not sustainable.” Upright Sphincter Tony Massarotti.

Does Mazz think the Red Sox need to win all 5 games to win the series? Or does he realize that they only need to win 2 of the next 4 games to move on?

I suppose the Yankees approach is sustainable to him. Let the starter work into the 3rd inning and then rely on the bullpen for 5 plus. That’s a solid formula.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Yankees only had to pitch 8 innings so clearly they know more strategy.

jforb
    Participant

Yankees only had to pitch 8 innings so clearly they know more strategy.

Only partially, they should have saved the runs and hits for another game like the Braves did. /bizarro Mazz

Hacksaw
    Participant

the Yankees are most dangerous when they score their runs on fielder’s choices.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  Hacksaw.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

All last night I kept saying “Isn’t this where they should be using Wright?” guess I know why now. :ozzy:

Hacksaw
    Participant

Has Mustard and Johnson broken down last nights game or are they still talking about the 1999 ALCS?

Nashua Dad
    Participant

I can’t believe the Athletic went all in with Buckley. For the first time ever he’s all over my timeline and it sucks. I can’t imagine Jennings and McCaffrey are happy either.

Claude45
    Participant

Dumb I know but I remember MLB pretty much harrassing Francona about wearing his jersey during games, so much so that they actually did an in game check at Yankee Stadium. No way Craig Counsell of the Brewers is wearing a jersey under that long sleeve t-shirt. Christ that was dumb.

NFL Operations level of stupid.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Maybe it was everyone was exhausted from the last couple of weeks, but I believe that last night’s game was the quietest Sox-Yankees game I’ve ever attended. Some half-hearted “Yankee suck” but none of the real shouting and taunting (and cheering) I’ve come to expect.

One observation that may only bother me: Two-strike Standing.  As I recall, this started to cheer on the sox pitcher who had two strikes on a batter in the ninth inning, usually only if he represented the final out.

Then, like kudzu, it crept out into the 8th.  And if there was a Pedro or a Sale setting a strikeout record, even earlier.

Last night, it was like the Black Plague – everyone was either infected or inconvenienced. Jackasses in the box seats standing for a two-strike pitch to the no. 7 hitter with one on one out. Standing up with there were two strikes on the first batter of an inning. Or after a pitching change or … insanity.

One more thing. In my (too) many years of sitting in the stands, I have a scientifically unprovable theory that only 6% of the next pitch following a Two-Strike Stand will be meaningful.  Mostly, it’s a ball, or a foul. Every now and again, it’s a flyout. Far less frequently, it’s a hit. In other words, not much of a payoff.

Now, get off my lawn!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 132 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar