Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion 10/7/19 – 10/13/19 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 190 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Lefty 6 days, 23 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 191 total)
  • Author

Coma
    Participant

Three classic moments from the long weekend in San Francisco to celebrate granddaughter Hazel King’s first birthday:

• Walking with 2.7-year-old Freddy King

I hope this is a typo, if not FUCK OFF. .7 of 12 is 8.4. My guess is he’s 2 and 8 months, and fatty rounded up 2.66666 so he’s both pretentious and inaccurate

Cause I have nothing better to do, December 2018:

In San Francisco for Christmas. Sunday, 9 a.m. soccer “practice” for 23-month-old Freddy King, the grandson. My wife and I are on the sidelines, watching, with daughter Laura and Freddy on the field. All of a sudden Freddy gets whiny and starts uttering something that sounds like “pezzl,” but I can’t tell what it is. He is really concerned. Finally, Laura comes over. “He wants a pretzel,” she says. We fish one out. He is happy, and reports back for duty.

I left the rest in because how the hell did he not figure that out?

I could maybe see the confusion if King wasn’t a parent, but he raised two kids. Even if he was also terrible at that job, his wife was right next to him and was just as clueless. Plus, it’s not like his grandson was saying the name of his favorite stuffed animal or a TV character that King was unfamiliar with. He was saying something that sounded like “pretzel” while PK has a bag of pretzels with him.

Just to address the Favre section of the column, I wonder if Brett is oblivious to PK’s devotion to him or if even he’s thinking “Gosh, I wish this guy would move on.”

1 user thanked author for this post.

Yahtzee
    Participant

If Bruce Allen :ohmy:and Snyder ever face the media, the only question to ask is how do you explain all of the losing despite several coaches, QBs, etc? What’s been the one constant? Taking this year out, last year was the 20th of Snyder owning the team. 41 games under .500 (I’d have guessed worse) with 5 playoff appearances. In the 20 years prior, in a piece of symmetry Fatty would “entertain” himself with for hours (ONANISM) they were 41 games above .500, with 8 playoff appearances (again, I’d have guessed more) and 3 titals.

I heard on the radio this morning that no coach hired by Snyder has had a winning record in Washington upon departure.

Lebron
    Participant

I think Marty Shottenheimer was 8-8 in his lone season.  I saw something with Shottenheimer a year or so back and he’s got dementia, I felt really bad for the guy.  He was an easy guy to make fun of but he wasn’t an arrogant asshole or anything that I recall.

chicowalker
    Participant

Three classic moments from the long weekend in San Francisco to celebrate granddaughter Hazel King’s first birthday:

• Walking with 2.7-year-old Freddy King

I hope this is a typo, if not FUCK OFF. .7 of 12 is 8.4. My guess is he’s 2 and 8 months, and fatty rounded up 2.66666 so he’s both pretentious and inaccurate

Cause I have nothing better to do, December 2018:

In San Francisco for Christmas. Sunday, 9 a.m. soccer “practice” for 23-month-old Freddy King, the grandson. My wife and I are on the sidelines, watching, with daughter Laura and Freddy on the field. All of a sudden Freddy gets whiny and starts uttering something that sounds like “pezzl,” but I can’t tell what it is. He is really concerned. Finally, Laura comes over. “He wants a pretzel,” she says. We fish one out. He is happy, and reports back for duty.

I left the rest in because how the hell did he not figure that out?

I could maybe see the confusion if King wasn’t a parent, but he raised two kids. Even if he was also terrible at that job, his wife was right next to him and was just as clueless. Plus, it’s not like his grandson was saying the name of his favorite stuffed animal or a TV character that King was unfamiliar with. He was saying something that sounded like “pretzel” while PK has a bag of pretzels with him.

Just to address the Favre section of the column, I wonder if Brett is oblivious to PK’s devotion to him or if even he’s thinking “Gosh, I wish this guy would move on.”

favre should have dragged Fatty on one of those 100 mile bike rides, then just let the body decompose in the tall Mississippi grass

2 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

For a couple moments after the Steelers loss yesterday, I was a little bummed because I figured they’ll be able to land a cornerstone player picking in the top 10 of the draft next April. Then I remembered that they traded that pick to Miami and was able to enjoy their 1-4 record.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

The earliest soccer stuff I remember was a Friday night for 30 minutes and the high school team kind of ran around with the kids while adults drank cocktails from Yetis then went for pizza.  I think the kids were like 5, maybe 4.  What the hell would you get out of a 2 year old?  At least you can kind of direct a 5 year old.  Pete is flush enough in cash that he probably has the kid in some private setup with a former pro.  He’ll be that annoying grandfather screaming ‘hustle!’  nestled in a camping chair.  Then he’ll get disgusted and exclaim the 8 year old kids suck.  Not that I’ve witnessed that sort of behavior or anything.

Lebron
    Participant

I was rooting for Pittsburgh mostly because Pete had declared Baltimore the division winner in Week 2, can’t remember his exact words but basically it was a done deal and why bother playing the season.

Humphrey
    Participant

With my daughter it was five years old, and there were a few four year-olds snuck in there as well. Usually the younger ones were real good or there because the older brother or sister was.

It was 30 minutes of drills and 30 minutes of 3 on 3 with 6 on a team (so you’d do a line change every couple minutes).

Other than the cones as goals no concept of a field or anything like that. Some plays would end up 10-15 yards over the lines and the kids would keep chasing the ball and try to steal it from one another.

Can’t imagine anything with children younger than that.

Coma
    Participant

I was rooting for Pittsburgh mostly because Pete had declared Baltimore the division winner in Week 2, can’t remember his exact words but basically it was a done deal and why bother playing the season.

I would have been happy with either Baltimore or Pittsburgh losing. It might have been nicer if it was the Ravens because of Harbaugh’s comments about the Baltimore offense being “unlike anything the league has seen before” and PK gushing over them in week 2. His quote at the time was:

In eight days, the Ravens have taken ownership, basically undisputed, of the AFC North.

Hacksaw
    Participant

i. Arch Manning, the nephew of Peyton and Eli and son of Cooper, is starting at quarterback as a high school freshman in New Orleans. And he’s getting a lot of pub for it. What is he, 15? All in favor of letting a kid be a kid and leaving him alone for a while, raise your hands.

He wrote in his column read by millions…

I hope Roman Phifer’s kid plays against Arch Manning.

( I don’t know if Phifer lives in that area or has a kid in football, but it paints a good picture…we could be a dynasty Phife).

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  Hacksaw.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  Hacksaw.

Participant

“All in favor of letting a kid be a kid and leaving him alone for a while, raise your hands.”

I think we are all in favor of that Pete.

However, in the past you’ve pimped whatever needed pimping for Good ‘Ole Arch & Sons Enterprises, (whether it’s looking the other way during teabagging or game worn memorabalia season). whey not help us get Young Arch into a decent program?

I hope whatever school he ends up at lands on probation.

Lefty

Pats cut Ben Watson.

frees up about $2m in cap space.

Up to something, or just think they are ok at tight end?

jforb
    Participant

Pats cut Ben Watson.

frees up about $2m in cap space.

Up to something, or just think they are ok at tight end?

Guessing just not able to get back into playing shape.

And that’s why I think people expecting a Gronk comeback are nuts.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Arch Manning?  Did Bootleg Barnicle name him somehow?

6 users thanked author for this post.

Hacksaw
    Participant

m

They are afraid of the luxury tax.

Participant

m

They are afraid of the luxury tax.

And the luxury tax is not afraid of YOU!

Lebron
    Participant

I can’t imagine why Gronkowski would come back.  30 years old, 3 rings, plenty of money.  Multiple back surgeries, the shots he took over the years – as TJ Ward put it I’m not hitting him high so I don’t get fined so I’m hitting him low.  Oh and when he talked about the pain he was going through and how it effected him, how emotional he got about it and relating it to his mental health, he was predictably laughed at by the local media.  He was the best tight end I ever saw, I hope the guy lives a joyful life.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I’d hardly say that INT was Mayfield’s fault.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Bosa is a Breer-level OSU loser.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

I rewatched the full sequence of the Mason Rudolph hit and aftermath. It stood out that Fouts was the announcer and his reaction was muted compared to what he said about Jonathan Jones the week before. He made some comments about the league trying to legislate helmet to helmet hits out of the game, but a 10 year vet like Earl Thomas hit Rudolph in the jaw. He didn’t say anything about the hit being dirty or unnecessary and nothing about Thomas potentially being ejected or suspended. Fouts really does have a bias against the Patriots.

Coma
    Participant

I can’t imagine why Gronkowski would come back. 30 years old, 3 rings, plenty of money. Multiple back surgeries, the shots he took over the years – as TJ Ward put it I’m not hitting him high so I don’t get fined so I’m hitting him low. Oh and when he talked about the pain he was going through and how it effected him, how emotional he got about it and relating it to his mental health, he was predictably laughed at by the local media. He was the best tight end I ever saw, I hope the guy lives a joyful life.

I was thinking about Gronkowski talking about the hit he took to his thigh in the Super Bowl, how he had to have a liter of blood drained from his leg and he couldn’t sleep right for a month. What if that injury happened in the AFCCG? The expectation would have been that he would play in the Super Bowl. I’d guess Gronkowski would have done everything to try and play. If he didn’t play or if it came out that it was a 50/50 call right before the game, the media and “huge fans” would have called him a pussy for not toughing it out.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Lefty

I am enjoying the Browns implosion and awaiting Beckham’s inevitable meltdown.

Having said that, the typical “rats off the sinking ship” run of the media is infuriating.   It wasn’t just some of the players on the Browns talking Super Bowl this summer.  There were a lot of media out there gleefully pushing that narrative.

Now that they are playing at less than a perfect pace, the media is killing “them” for all the false hype.   No self awareness at all.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Almost A Coach is becoming the national football writer for the Las Vegas daily.  (The late Don Banks’ destination.) He apparently will continue to live around Boston and oversee his sports journal.  Still, I’d be building out my LinkedIn presence if I worked for Almost A Publisher. To me, it sounds like he has one foot out the door.

Bedard: Some personal and site news

Speaking of national football writers, I dipped into the Globe archives recently to review the January 2000 coverage of Belichick’s hiring and laughed out loud when I read that BB was “strongly advised” to hire Tom Donohoe as his assistant general manager/personnel director — essentially the Scott Pioli/Nick Caserio slot.  And the chorus of strong advice was undoubtedly composed of not just Nick Cafardo, but Willie and Borges as well.  How many drinks did Donohoe buy those guys anyway?

:lol:

7 users thanked author for this post.

Mark
    Participant

Bedard’s all done. He’s not selling lifetime and 3 year memberships any more. Based on today’s news, 1 year memberships are going to plummet. He’s probably be winding down by the middle of next year. Sooner if McAdam leaves.

NASCL
    Participant

Bedard should be thankful Simmons made Las Vegas relevant.

8 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 191 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar