Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion 10/7/19 – 10/13/19 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 191 total)
  • Author
    jforb
    Participant

Bedard’s all done. He’s not selling lifetime and 3 year memberships any more. Based on today’s news, 1 year memberships are going to plummet. He’s probably be winding down by the middle of next year. Sooner if McAdam leaves.

Not like he was selling lifetime memberships anyway. Not on my tracker but I’m pretty sure he hasn’t sold more than 1 since April.

Plus, it made too much sense for my family.

F my coworkers though.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

I love how he says he made it a condition of his employment that he remain in Boston, like he put on some tough guy act because he realized they wanted him more than he wanted them.  More like ‘look there’s no relo included and frankly we couldn’t care less where you live.  Do whatever you want.’

5 users thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

I haven’t applied for any jobs since we made the decision to go forward with BSJ nearly three years ago

Guessing that doesn’t mean he hasn’t been telling people make me an offer or some other way of applying without actually sending an application.

I didn’t take this as some sort of great sportsmanship moment. I thought he knew the cameras would be on Brady, and he encroached on Brady’s moment. Brady had no choice but to shake Sherman’s hand then, else he looked like an asshole.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    NASCL
    Participant

I thought handshake etiquette was a Framingham – Natick thing.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Suzy
    Participant

Hurrah, the  arrogant, talentless, disingenuous poseur has failed! As we all knew he would, of course.

He’s shown for three years that he adds nothing of value and absolutely sucks at literally every aspect of his chosen “profession.”  Anyone who paid for his poorly written horse shit should question their judgment and sanity. Good riddance, fraud.

Lebron
    Participant

I haven’t applied for any jobs since we made the decision to go forward with BSJ nearly three years ago

Guessing that doesn’t mean he hasn’t been telling people make me an offer or some other way of applying without actually sending an application.

I have no doubt the moment he heard Banks died he was mentally rolodexing who to call for that gig.  Meanwhile Bill makes tasteful remarks about Banks and they set up that quasi memorial in the press box for him and Bill is the biggest dick alive.

Coma
    Participant

I didn’t take this as some sort of great sportsmanship moment. I thought he knew the cameras would be on Brady, and he encroached on Brady’s moment. Brady had no choice but to shake Sherman’s hand then, else he looked like an asshole.

It’s kind of hard to tell because of the perspective of the picture, but didn’t this handshake take place while the fight* between Frank Clark, Michael Bennett, Gronk and the Patriots O-linemen was going on? That’s why Brady stayed on a knee for so long and allowed Sherman the opportunity to walk over and extend his hand. After the ejections and penalty on Seattle, the final kneel down took place on around the 20 yard line and I’m not sure you’d be able to see the end zone if a picture was taken there. And, yes, I agree that I think Sherman was more aware of what a great image this would be as opposed to a great show of sportsmanship.

*While people talk about the tuck rule 17 years later and Belichick staring at a reporter will be talked about 20 years from now, the Seahawks starting a fight during the kneel down of a game they had lost somehow escapes criticism. It’s kind of like Pete Carroll gets all the blame for calling that pass play, but Russell Wilson gets a pass for actually throwing the INT.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Sounds like Gronkowski is joining Fox’s pre game coverage and will be on the air this Thursday night.

Participant

Sounds like Gronkowski is joining Fox’s pre game coverage and will be on the air this Thursday night.

The folks in the pressroom seem stunned that Gronk may not have written his own press release.

Fvcking zero’s, the whole bunch.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

They’ve found the next Terry Bradshaw.

BTW, just noticed that, after 20+ years, Fox finally dumped the animated robot graphics. Maybe they did this a long time ago and I wasn’t paying attention. :blink:

EDIT:  Somehow I totally forgot that Auntie Christmas is still writing about football. Her (insight-free) yahoo.com story on Gronk’s move to TV showed up in my feed.

NASCL
    Participant

Courtesy of the Google rabbit hole, BSMW Jeopardy.

Contestant:  I’ll take Boston radio personalities for $500, Alex.

Alex:  Invented “Radio Row”, Discovered “Marvin Hagler”, Cured Cystic Fibrosis, “Played a major part in keeping the Patriots in Foxboro”, built handicap ramps for a paralyzed jockey, raised thousands for 9/11 police and firemen, buys TV’s for VA hospitals, Invented Sports Talk Radio, Discovered Barbara Borin, Discovered Lisa Guerrero, toured Europe looking for “Superfoot”, had the tunnel named for Ted Williams, developed the Phantom Gourmet and gave the show to his three worthless offspring, married the Fabulous Judy who teaches english to Russian immigrants, been kicked off more AM stations that I can remember, burns bridges with business partners like it’s going out of style, strong arms every person he knows to donate to charity and then takes all the credit, ate Chinese Food with Red, wears short sleeved dress shirts with a tie, drives Cadillacs and has broken windshields more than a GAZILLION times, honorary king of Aruba, goes to the ORIENT for real dim sum, thinks Kevin Faulk is really Keith Foulke, never lost a bet in Vegas or at Suffolk Downs, measures the fenway franks every year to prove they are shrinking in size and cost more, mastered golf at age 20 and then quite to spend more time with his family, discovered Dave Jageler, discovered Bob Costas’ produce Bruce Cornblatt, wants sumos to become offensive lineman, and Manute Bol should block field goals, vanilla pudding should be in hockey nets so the ref can lick the puck to see if it’s a goal or not, never ever accepted complimentary tickets to any sporting event to maintain his objectivity, won’t suck up to anybody, once “left the room” during a Tom Osborne interview, grateful that he has three healthy boys, real estate tycoon, accountant, former TV personality, inventor of “biggest sports lies”, jumbalaya, machete, hot dog safari, Yao Ming Wing and Sing Karaoke Night, Chelsea Day, Thanksgiving “gobble show”, and can walk on a river of ducksauce.

Hands down, the biggest prick on the planet.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

I love how Gronkowski, who seems to have saved/spent money wisely and surrounded himself with a good people and seems like a genuinely good guy, is scoffed at as a partying dope by an industry littered with talentless assholes that can’t retire because they lived the high life when times were good and weren’t prepared for anything other than that.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

I know Snyder’s completely incompetent but thinking “Mike Tomlin’s the guy to turn my team around” is just nuts.

chicowalker
    Participant

That is a tour de force.  Between that and the mid 90’s hot pastel hostage shot of him being the lamb in a Sarandis-Smerlas gyro, LJ Sandwich=ootg

3 users thanked author for this post.
    chicowalker
    Participant

I know Snyder’s completely incompetent but thinking “Mike Tomlin’s the guy to turn my team around” is just nuts.

Is Tomlin not going to get the gradual denouement of Chuck “One playoff season in last seven” Noll?

Coma
    Participant

PFT has a story up that there’s video of Mayfield shaking hands with Sherman and all the other 49ers before the coin toss. I don’t know if this revelation will affect Sherman’s “great credibility,” but it probably will make this pointless story go away.

Suzy
    Participant

That is a tour de force. Between that and the mid 90’s hot pastel hostage shot of him being the lamb in a Sarandis-Smerlas gyro, LJ Sandwich=ootg

He really is.

I still laugh just thinking about the infamous “Go walk your pet rat” exchange when buffoon EA told him he thought Shank was possessed of “a great wit.”

LJS: “I’m…speechless.”  :lol:

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Big Fat O
    Participant

Looking at what we have on the radio now EGA wasn’t that bad. He had his axes to grind with some but overall actually like the local teams and rooted for them.

Now it’s the opposite where the media hates most of the teams and some actively root for failure.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Judging by the incomprehensible tweets posted here (although none in a while, I think) and the fact that he’s got to be 80 years old now, Eddie probably lives in someplace like Green Grove, the “Cap d’Antibes of nursing homes.”

Coma
    Participant

I have no doubt the moment he heard Banks died he was mentally rolodexing who to call for that gig. Meanwhile Bill makes tasteful remarks about Banks and they set up that quasi memorial in the press box for him and Bill is the biggest dick alive.

It would be interesting to know who reached out to who in that situation. Did the Las Vegas Journal-Review contact Almost-A-Coach and other potential candidates to fill Banks’ spot? Or did Craig call them and say “You still need an NFL writer and Donnie Brasco is still dead. I think I might be able to help you out.”

As an aside, I want to believe that the “Big Boy Tuesdays with Greg Bedard” graphic is a real thing.

Yahtzee
    Participant

The LVRJ really isn’t much anymore.  The best talent they had – Matt Youmans – has gone to the VSIN network on Sirius with Uncle Brent.

Lebron
    Participant

Heard Pete’s weekly spot on Russo.  He thinks that given the Earl Thomas and Jonathan Jones hits that the NFL should, fairly or unfairly, suspend guys one game for hits on QBs like that.  Doesn’t matter if the QB is a runner and sticks his head out or if the defender is trying to avoid the hit, just suspend them.  And only for hits on QBs.  If you are a wideout or running back, fire away.  Interesting coming from the guy who is rooting for a Fairness Bowl.  America’s Foremost Authority On All Things NFL.

Lebron
    Participant

Russo brought up this Sunday night’s game, Steelers at Chargers, and asked why didn’t the NFL flex that game out as it’s a terrible game and that’s the whole point of flex scheduling.  Pete gave an exasperated “Chris, I don’t know.”  The guy who posts a yearly column on the NFL schedule and all that goes into it says “I don’t know” and seems bothered that anyone would ask the question.  Off the top of my head I could glance at the schedule and say given the flex rules and what was available it wasn’t worth it for the league to flex that game or some such.  Chiefs already have however many prime time games so Chiefs-Texans is tough.  49ers-Rams same thing, maybe the Rams already have enough games in prime time.  Maybe the league likes to wait until near the end of the season to get the best matchups with flex etc.  Say something other than some pissy ‘I don’t know.’

3 users thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

Judging by the incomprehensible tweets posted here (although none in a while, I think) and the fact that he’s got to be 80 years old now, Eddie probably lives in someplace like Green Grove, the “Cap d’Antibes of nursing homes.”

Still at it

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 191 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar