Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion 10/7/19 – 10/13/19 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 190 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Lefty 6 days, 23 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 191 total)
  • Author

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Judging by the incomprehensible tweets posted here (although none in a while, I think) and the fact that he’s got to be 80 years old now, Eddie probably lives in someplace like Green Grove, the “Cap d’Antibes of nursing homes.”

Still at it

Tweet #2 definitely a head-scratcher.  Maybe Eddie was “sunsetting” when he composed it.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Doesn’t the flex schedule start in The 2nd half of the season?

Participant

Put Ramona Shelbburne down as having seen Forrest Gump.

“Listen, I have learned more about the issue with China and Hong Kong in the last 48 hours because of this, and I think it is an example of how sports shines a light on the rest of the world. We go all the way back to ping-pong diplomacy in the 1970s when he U.S. ping pong team played against China and started opening up China to these discussions. 

Lebron
    Participant

They moved it up to week 5 a few years back, ’13 or ’14 maybe.  Granted it’s not that easy to flex in that you have to do it a week and a half before the game and the networks get a certain number of ‘blocks’ and teams can only play a certain number of prime time games and the network schedule has to be somewhat balanced like CBS can’t get screwed with say getting the dog Steelers/Chargers matchup and cough up a Chiefs game.  It was Pete’s tone, like why the hell are you asking me?  He’s not a network exec but you would think he could offer up some sort of insight given his annual scheduling column.

Coma
    Participant

Doesn’t the flex schedule start in The 2nd half of the season?

“Big Fat O, I don’t know.”

“I have to go now. My grandson is pointing at an empty cup and saying something like ‘stuh-boooks.’ I have no idea what that could mean, so I have to find his mother.”

4 users thanked author for this post.

Participant

“I walked the 17 steps over to him and was able to make out what he was saying,”Grampa, why doesn’t Tom Brady face Daniel Jones again until 2023?” 

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I’d like to know the psi in Fatty’s head in that photo.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Lots of game 5’s on tap for the MLB playoffs. I may have to start paying attention.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Weather Underground currently predicting rain (duh), sustained winds of about 20 mph, and 52 degrees (47 “wind chill”) at kickoff tomorrow night in Foxborough.  So … ball protection will be key.

Lebron
    Participant

Hoping the Cardinals get annihilated today.  Sick of the Dodgers never doing anything so I hope they get creamed too.  On Tampa-Houston I don’t really care, the Maddon stank is still on the Rays but I get the feeling the Yankees would roll them.  Houston would likely put up a better fight, at least I thought that but now I’m not so sure.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

I haven’t paid attention at all, I thought the Astros were a wagon.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Looks like the Rays are Team X. Big sports fan co-worker this morning: “The Rays are in the playoffs???” Also every Dodger fan I know expects them to lose today. They are like Sox fans pre-2004.

1 user thanked author for this post.

chicowalker
    Participant

Being a Rhode Islander, a good number of my friends growing up are Yankee fans, and they’ve adopted “Blue October” as some sore of postseason mantra. So go Astros (Rays would get rolled)

1 user thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Only guy on the Rays I could name/remember was Charlie Morton.  Don’t know or recognize any of their players.  I thought the Choi guy at first was Hee Sop Choi who would probably be in his 40s now.

Lebron
    Participant

Looks like the Rays are Team X. Big sports fan co-worker this morning: “The Rays are in the playoffs???” Also every Dodger fan I know expects them to lose today. They are like Sox fans pre-2004.

I dialed up the Betts/Moreland/Pearce home runs on youtube.  It’s hilarious when Moreland comes up against Madsen.  4-0 game and Madsen has been slapped around all postseason and I remember at the time thinking “Moreland is going to get something to h … holy shit!” but it wasn’t surprising to anyone in the ballpark.  First pitch and he hits it to Joshua Tree and literally no one including Roberts looks surprised.  Then Jansen throws Pearce a pitch right in his wheelhouse, same with Kershaw and Baez the next night.  Like hey let’s throw a pitch right up  the upper third of the zone where Pearce loves to whipsaw it and see what happens!  The Kershaw home runs were great, same deal in that everyone in the park knew those were coming eventually.  Fuck that was fun.

2 users thanked author for this post.

chicowalker
    Participant

did a Q&D spreadsheet of the Pats D vs 2000 ravens and 85 bears. it’s Q&D because it doesn’t take into account specific opponent but rather it is measured vs the average D in the league that particular year (which I would think, as the season progresses, will partially account for some of that, as well as the differences in era, but I may be way off :ph34r: ) Anyway, using most of the defensive categories on pro football reference (ypg, passing and rushing ypa, points, turnovers, completion %, 1st downs/g, etc) the Pats are basically way ahead of either save for rushing- though not as far off as I’d have guessed.  Pats average 30.3 % fewer rypg than the rest of the league, Ravens 46.2, bears 34. Some highlights:

Passer rating- Pats 44/league 92.8, 52.6% better

Ravens 62.5/78.1, 19.9

Bears 51.2, 73.5, 30.3

PPG- Pats 6.8/22.5/69.8

Ravens 10.3/20.7/50.24

Bears 12.4/21.5/42.3

Yahtzee
    Participant

Oh great, CHB has an article on bostonglobe.com about how important the NY Giants are to NE football history. Hard pass.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

EGA is a pompous old ass, but one of the positive things he did, during his Sports Huddle days, is crap all over the New York Football Giants and especially their Boston-area fan base, which was significant here in the days before the AFL merger and before the home-game blackout rule changed. I’ve posted here that I have a friend who grew up in Bridgewater and has lived here all his life, and his eyes still get misty when he talks about Y.A. and Giff and Sam Huff and Spider Lockhart. He’s a good guy but talking football is off limits.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Hoping the Cardinals get annihilated today.

If they get annihilated, they’ll do it the right way … the Cardinal way. :weei:   / Baseball writers

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Oh great, CHB has an article on bostonglobe.com about how important the NY Giants are to NE football history. Hard pass.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Hoping the Cardinals get annihilated today.

If they get annihilated, they’ll do it the right way … the Cardinal way. :weei:/ Baseball writers

Yadier Molina is one of those guys that has like a 2.000 OPS when he’s on my tv screen in non Red Sox games.  What the fuck.

Rickkyboy
    Participant

Courtesy of the Google rabbit hole, BSMW Jeopardy.

Contestant: I’ll take Boston radio personalities for $500, Alex.

Alex: Invented “Radio Row”, Discovered “Marvin Hagler”, Cured Cystic Fibrosis, “Played a major part in keeping the Patriots in Foxboro”, built handicap ramps for a paralyzed jockey, raised thousands for 9/11 police and firemen, buys TV’s for VA hospitals, Invented Sports Talk Radio, Discovered Barbara Borin, Discovered Lisa Guerrero, toured Europe looking for “Superfoot”, had the tunnel named for Ted Williams, developed the Phantom Gourmet and gave the show to his three worthless offspring, married the Fabulous Judy who teaches english to Russian immigrants, been kicked off more AM stations that I can remember, burns bridges with business partners like it’s going out of style, strong arms every person he knows to donate to charity and then takes all the credit, ate Chinese Food with Red, wears short sleeved dress shirts with a tie, drives Cadillacs and has broken windshields more than a GAZILLION times, honorary king of Aruba, goes to the ORIENT for real dim sum, thinks Kevin Faulk is really Keith Foulke, never lost a bet in Vegas or at Suffolk Downs, measures the fenway franks every year to prove they are shrinking in size and cost more, mastered golf at age 20 and then quite to spend more time with his family, discovered Dave Jageler, discovered Bob Costas’ produce Bruce Cornblatt, wants sumos to become offensive lineman, and Manute Bol should block field goals, vanilla pudding should be in hockey nets so the ref can lick the puck to see if it’s a goal or not, never ever accepted complimentary tickets to any sporting event to maintain his objectivity, won’t suck up to anybody, once “left the room” during a Tom Osborne interview, grateful that he has three healthy boys, real estate tycoon, accountant, former TV personality, inventor of “biggest sports lies”, jumbalaya, machete, hot dog safari, Yao Ming Wing and Sing Karaoke Night, Chelsea Day, Thanksgiving “gobble show”, and can walk on a river of ducksauce.

Hands down, the biggest prick on the planet.

My younger brother has CF so I think the HDS that was EA’s only redeeming value, until it was discovered as a money maker for his event planning sons… :ozzy:

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  Rickkyboy.

Humphrey
    Participant

So the Cardinals play for one run, execute the sacrifice bunt, get a run on a base hit; then go on to get 9 more in the same inning.

BrianInLA
    Participant

10 runs, 5 hits, 1 error. Well done, Atlanta.

Humphrey
    Participant

EGA is a pompous old ass, but one of the positive things he did, during his Sports Huddle days, is crap all over the New York Football Giants and especially their Boston-area fan base, which was significant here in the days before the AFL merger and before the home-game blackout rule changed. I’ve posted here that I have a friend who grew up in Bridgewater and has lived here all his life, and his eyes still get misty when he talks about Y.A. and GiffTh and Sam Huff and Spider Lockhart. He’s a good guy but talking football is off limits.

I’d have to say the Jints getting to the title game 5 times in 6 years and losing all 5 is right up there with the Bills futility of the 90s.

Once that run ended they fell off a cliff. Incredibly inept front office moves/drafts; they went a good 15 years not making the playoffs…which made (yes, I admit to being one) fans of theirs from around there very easy to switch allegiances.

Don’t forget they had both Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry as assistant coaches, made a coaching change; and managed to hire neither one of them.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 191 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar