Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion 10/7/19 – 10/13/19 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 191 total)
  • Author
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

EGA is a pompous old ass, but one of the positive things he did, during his Sports Huddle days, is crap all over the New York Football Giants and especially their Boston-area fan base, which was significant here in the days before the AFL merger and before the home-game blackout rule changed. I’ve posted here that I have a friend who grew up in Bridgewater and has lived here all his life, and his eyes still get misty when he talks about Y.A. and GiffTh and Sam Huff and Spider Lockhart. He’s a good guy but talking football is off limits.

I’d have to say the Jints getting to the title game 5 times in 6 years and losing all 5 is right up there with the Bills futility of the 90s.

Once that run ended they fell off a cliff. Incredibly inept front office moves/drafts; they went a good 15 years not making the playoffs…which made (yes, I admit to being one) fans of theirs from around there very easy to switch allegiances.

Don’t forget they had both Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry as assistant coaches, made a coaching change; and managed to hire neither one of them.

True. Lombardi and Landry were assistants under someone named Jim Lee Howell. :blink:  That’s a name you never hear anywhere anymore. Lombardi left in 1959 and Landry in 1960. Howell finally quit after the 1960 season, and they had to hire Allie Sherman.  The sad thing about Bob (my Giant loving friend) is that he still swooned over Eli and Tyree and Manningham fifty f—ing years on. He was shitting on Belichick one day about five years ago and I said, “You have a short memory. No Belichick and your Giants have one less Super Bowl win and maybe two.”

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Went to lunch today at a place with a TV on mute. Watched as Skip Bayless and Shannon Sharpe debated meaningfully as a clip of Baker Mayfield shaking hands with Richard Sherman played on a loop for 10 minutes straight.

As a society, WTF are we doing?

Big Fat O
    Participant

For those with weak stomachs the Pelicans are on ESPN with Breen announcing. It should be so bad Breen is paying Zion instead of the other way around.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I guess I’d root for St Louis over LA.

Lebron
    Participant

I hate the fucking Dodgers

Big Fat O
    Participant

I would love to be driving with Brady one day listening to Felger, Mazz and Big Jim Loser psychoanalyze his thoughts and get his reaction. It would be something along the lines of WTF are these guys talking about.

i think TEC has jumped the shark and is now the Brady spokesman getters his view out there.

Lebron
    Participant

Kershaw :lol:

1 user thanked author for this post.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

At the local dive bar and it was 3-1 and everyone was on pins and needles already expecting the worst. After the second home run to tie the game I left as they were about to burn the place down.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Dear lord. Lol! This is going to hurt a lot. I think they kill Roberts for this leaving in Joe Kelly with Jansen in the pen. Just Grady little-ish.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

This has got to be the end of Roberts as manager of the Dodgers, right?

jforb
    Participant

So Kelly gets to kill the Dodgers season two years in a row?

7 users thanked author for this post.
    NASCL
    Participant

Lil’ Jerry is a Justice of the Peace?  I can only imagine the cheesy jokes he shoehorns into the ceremony.

Participant

:lol:

Thanks Rajon.

“After having already suffered a facial fracture in an offseason pickup game that cost him the start of training camp and the preseason-opening win, Irving’s Nets debut didn’t last long. Just 1 minute and 6 seconds, to be exact, after the injury was aggravated by getting hit in the face by Lakers point guard Rajon Rondo.”

Lebron
    Participant

7 straight division titles and nothing to show for it.  Guys like Bellinger and Kershaw that don’t perform well in the postseason.  How much longer can you keep running it back?  They have a decent to good farm system too with guys like Dustin May ready, and that guy that played first last night.  I thought they would move Bellinger last year, Kershaw is probably long in the tooth now.  Turner, Chris Taylor, Joc Pederson.  Lot of guys that have little to no value to anyone else.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

At least Bobby Cox managed to win 1 World Series after seemingly finishing in 1st place for pretty much the entire 90’s.

That Braves-Cards game gave me flashbacks to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals :wall: :weei:

BrianInLA
    Participant

The West Coast turns the page fast. Today its nothing but all Lakers all the time.

Lebron
    Participant

I’m not a gambler but the Lakers seem to be the tital favorites?  Why, because of Anthony Davis?  You still have Lebron James who has a history of running coaches through the ringer.  I half expect Vogel to be found stabbed to death midseason.

Lebron
    Participant

At least Bobby Cox managed to win 1 World Series after seemingly finishing in 1st place for pretty much the entire 90’s.

That Braves-Cards game gave me flashbacks to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals :wall::weei:

14 straight division titles for the Braves.  1 tital.  Sounds unpossible.

jforb
    Participant

I’m not a gambler but the Lakers seem to be the tital favorites? Why, because of Anthony Davis? You still have Lebron James who has a history of running coaches through the ringer. I half expect Vogel to be found stabbed to death midseason.

Said it before, but I’d bet the over on games James misses due to hamstring issues from here on out. Probably regardless of what that number is.

jforb
    Participant

:lol:

Thanks Rajon.

“After having already suffered a facial fracture in an offseason pickup game that cost him the start of training camp and the preseason-opening win, Irving’s Nets debut didn’t last long. Just 1 minute and 6 seconds, to be exact, after the injury was aggravated by getting hit in the face by Lakers point guard Rajon Rondo.”

If that little tap was enough to bother him, wtf was he doing playing?

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

With the playoffs seeming to set everything up perfectly for the Yankees, especially if they face Tampa Bay in the ALCS, I’m left with the hope that John Sterling chokes in the middle of one of his patented “THHHHHHHUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YANKEES WI–(gasp)” calls, while Suzyn Waldman simultaneously spontaneously combusts.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

I still feel like their pitching blows.  They can mash but Gator Guidry and Rivera ain’t walking out of that bullpen.

Lebron
    Participant

Agree on Irving why play the mercurial whiny fuck in a preseason game in China.  Maybe they got the same message as Kerr and Popovich.  NBA loves that China money.

Lebron
    Participant

The Rendon home run reminded me of Dave Henderson’s off of Donnie Moore, basically a golf swing.  It was shit luck for sure but you even have Kershaw in there to face Rendon?  Then follow it up with a high 80s meatball to a guy who is crushing the ball.  You then get a good 9th inning out of Kelly, who has been injured throughout the year and his last outing was shit, and run him back out there for the 10th?  And keep him in there after the double?

Lebron
    Participant

Temperature dropped 60 degrees, 80 for a high yesterday, 21 right now.  Snowing like a bitch.  100 plus accidents to start the day.  What the fuck.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 191 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar