Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion 10/7/19 – 10/13/19 Weekly Thread

• This topic has 190 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Lefty.
Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 191 total)
  • Author
    chicowalker
    Participant

After last night the Pats passer rating against is 39.5. As Greggggg Easterbrook was fond of pointing out, if every pass against them fell harmlessly to the turf their rating against would  be 39.6. I then wrote “post over” in my notebook, rolled up my copy of the Economist, sat on it, and stared out the window, satisfied in parsing yet another piece of wisdom about this brutal, beautiful sport to the great unwashed who were fortunate enough to stumble upon my collected notions

Lebron
    Participant

Even on the drive where they didn’t score  – Nugent missed the FG in the wind – they chewed what like 8 or 9 minutes off the clock?  Up a touchdown with a great defense against an offense that got one freak play that reminded me of when the Patriots played the regular season game against the ’85 Bears and got 1 TD in the 4th quarter off of a freak 90 yard pass play.  Was there really a concern at that point?  You knew the Giants weren’t scoring again.  It was a matter if the Patriots would get a TD or FG.  They ended up getting 2 TDs.

Single digits overnight sprinkler guy couldn’t get out here I wrapped the outdoor bell in a thermal cover and blankets hopefully no exterior pipe burst.  Will be back to mid 70s by tomorrow.  I see LA is burning again hopefully former go to baseball guy Brian is faring OK.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

This pass interference challenge is even stupider than I imagined it was going to be.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

Even on the drive where they didn’t score – Nugent missed the FG in the wind – they chewed what like 8 or 9 minutes off the clock?

A field goal into the wind that was held backwards.

I get the feeling that the offense, while not exactly fucking around, is testing out things in games they know they’ve got under control.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Even on the drive where they didn’t score – Nugent missed the FG in the wind – they chewed what like 8 or 9 minutes off the clock?

A field goal into the wind that was held backwards.

I get the feeling that the offense, while not exactly fucking around, is testing out things in games they know they’ve got under control.

Same here, it’s more about working on things they may use later and getting guys more integrated and involved.  Like Olszewski last night.  On the first Brady sneak on the last TD he was in the huddle and appeared to have a ‘what the fuck is that call?’ look, so get those types of things out of the way while you can.  Defensively they seemed to do some different things last night as well, maybe dictated by Chung leaving early then Hightower later.  Bill has talked about using Bennett differently etc.  Gilmore is so good.

Meanwhile Eli looks like a hobo.  If he got called to go in I half expect he’s got street clothes on.

Coma
    Participant

Regarding the defense and how it compares to other historically great defenses, I haven’t seen anyone mention that the 2000 Ravens, 85 Bears or Steel Curtain of the 70s weren’t shutting down offenses under the current rules, which favor the passing game and scoring and restrict defenses. And it’s not like the 2000 Ravens were playing the Rams with Warner, the Colts with Manning and the Culpepper/Moss Vikings every week.

Coma
    Participant

Yesterday, Volin said on the Greg Hill show that pressure from advertisers played a role in the Patriots releasing Antonio Brown. Later, he backtracked and said that advertisers played no role in the Brown’s release. How does that work, exactly, in Volin’s head? Did his source call him back and say “No, Ben. I said ‘no role,’ not a big role. I was very clear on this.”? Did his more rational personality take control back and realize one of his “other selves” may have misspoken? As has become par for the course with Simple Ben, there’s no consequence for being 100% wrong about a story or presenting something as fact and then saying it was just an opinion. I don’t know if Volin realizes it, but it must be nice to be able to say or write something and not have to worry if it’s right or complete or accurate.

A few other stories that would have gotten a lot more attention if they happened in Foxboro:

– Roethlisberger was fined for wearing an Apple watch on the sideline. You can’t have an unapproved electronic device on the sideline, especially on that send and receive texts. It’s not a big deal though, because it was Ben and the Steelers.

– Travis Kelce shoved his offensive coordinator during Sunday night’s game. People’s emotions sometimes run high. Again, no big deal.

– Against the Chiefs, the Ravens attempted a drop kick on a kick off near the end of the game. It wasn’t penalized during the game, but the NFL determined this was against the rules and banned it going forward. I didn’t see any articles about the Ravens pushing the rules to the limit and doing anything to win, not even any snarky ones about Harbaugh needing to the read the rule book again.

I listened to the Entitled Town podcast with Bruce today. I thought it was good, but was surprised when they got to the rapid fire question segment. My reaction was “They’re done? But they just started.” I didn’t realize that the interview had lasted 45 minutes. I definitely could have listened to more. I really enjoyed the Shaughnessy talk at the end. I think I had heard the story of Shank calling Bruce at home before, but it was worth hearing again. I had not heard Dave Brown’s story of Shank shutting him down and basically telling him to stop wasting people’s time when Brown tried to say that the 2007 Red Sox might be able to come back against Indians. After hearing Bruce’s story about the phone call, I think Brown was trying to say this, but didn’t quite get there: Shank’s not playing a character. He’s not a “good guy off the air.” He really is a miserable person with a strong contempt for the fans of the teams he writes about. When you criticize him, though, he’s a victim.

Lebron
    Participant

The 2000 Ravens had the 4 shutouts, against Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincy and Dallas.  Pittsburgh was 9-7 the rest had losing records.  If I recall correctly the offense went over a month at one point without scoring a touchdown.  That 2000 Ravens offense scored 333 points, which ended up being more than their Super Bowl opponent Giants at 328.  So the defense and team in general made hay against some of their weaker opposition, which I guess is only a crime if you’re the Patriots.

GusChiggins
    Participant

Wasn’t that the second time Roethlisberger got in trouble for an illegal thing on the sidelines. He misses so many games, you’d think he’d know the rules.

Lebron
    Participant

On Rapist and the watch, it’s not even the first time he’s had some device on the sidelines.  The first time was in Foxboro I think a few years back but the NFL determined eh no big deal or it wasn’t actually a device, which it clearly seemed to be.  Like with the ball pressure and teams warming up balls or whatever, no big deal unless it’s the Patriots then it’s high crimes.

NASCL
    Participant

Sileo tweeting that the Patriots are shopping Hightower.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Jakob = IR :ozzy: Patriots Full Backs are getting to be like the drummer in Spinal Tap.

Yahtzee
    Participant

The 2000 Ravens had the 4 shutouts, against Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincy and Dallas. Pittsburgh was 9-7 the rest had losing records. If I recall correctly the offense went over a month at one point without scoring a touchdown. That 2000 Ravens offense scored 333 points, which ended up being more than their Super Bowl opponent Giants at 328. So the defense and team in general made hay against some of their weaker opposition, which I guess is only a crime if you’re the Patriots.

Good lord, was there really a Ravens-Giants Super Bowl?

chicowalker
    Participant

Bruce sounds far too level headed and normal to be associated with us :ohmy: :lol:

Yahtzee
    Participant

Bruce sounds far too level headed and normal to be associated with us :ohmy::lol:

Disappointed he didn’t mention Sameer.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Bruce sounds far too level headed and normal to be associated with us :ohmy::lol:

Disappointed he didn’t mention Sameer.

There are probably 6 people who remember who ZoiloV2 was.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Big Fat O
    Participant

Guess it’s safe to say Ainge made the right choice picking Tatum over Fultz.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Cardinals being no hit through 6.

No no no.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Yahtzee.
    Coma
    Participant

A couple of weeks ago, after a lackluster performance by the Vikings offense, someone mentioned that Kirk Cousins is getting paid $27.5 million guaranteed this season. This made me wonder how, in a world awash with hottakez, Brady not seeking the maximum contract is viewed as a negative.I would think that some media member, seeking attention, would say that a star QB, signing a new contract, should take a little less money so it could spread around the rest of the roster. I’m not suggesting someone like Cousins should have accepted less, since this was his first chance to cash in, but the QBs like Wilson, Rodgers, or Ryan who are onto their second big contract could take a discount. I understand that the NFLPA wants it’s members to maximize their contracts, so it would be limited to QBs and I’m not suggesting every QB has to do this. Once in a while, though, if a QB decided to, the decision wouldn’t be met with suspicion.

Put another way, if Andrew Luck was still playing, and took a deal that was a little smaller than the last one signed by high profile QB, that would be met with praise and we’d hear about how highminded and magnanimous Luck was. We definitely would not hear how Irsay was paying him under the table or through shady real estate deals.

Coma
    Participant

The 2000 Ravens had the 4 shutouts, against Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincy and Dallas. Pittsburgh was 9-7 the rest had losing records. If I recall correctly the offense went over a month at one point without scoring a touchdown. That 2000 Ravens offense scored 333 points, which ended up being more than their Super Bowl opponent Giants at 328. So the defense and team in general made hay against some of their weaker opposition, which I guess is only a crime if you’re the Patriots.

Here are the QBs the 2000 Ravens faced and if they won or lost against them:

Kent Graham – Steelers – W
    Mark Brunell – Jaguars – W
    Jay Fiedler – Dolphins – L
    Scott Mitchell – Bengals – W
    Tim Couch – Browns – W
    Mark Brunell, Jamie Martin – Jaguars – W
    Brad Johnson – Redksins – L
    Steve McNair – Titans – L
    Kordell Stewart – Steelers – L
    Akili Smith – Bengals – W
    Steve McNair – Titans – W
    Troy Aikman – Cowboys – W
    Doug Pederson, Spergon Wynn – Browns – W
    Ryan Leaf – Chargers – W
    Jake Plummer – Cardinals – W
    Vinny Testaverde – Jets – W

McNair was the best QB they faced in the regular season. Brunell and Testaverde, at that point, were more than respectable. 2000 was Aikman’s last season and he hadn’t been good in a few years. The point is, there are a lot of unimpressive names on that list. In the regular season, the Ravens only faced 2 QBs in the top 10 in passing yards (Testaverde #6 and Brunell #8) and 1 (Testaverde #7) in passing TDs. They didn’t face Warner, Manning, McNabb, Favre, Culpepper or Jeff Garcia at all.

In the playoffs, Baltimore beat Gus Frerotte and the Broncos and McNair again. In the AFCCG, they faced the league MVP Rich Gannon and the Raiders. The Ravens intentionally injured Gannon early in the 2nd quarter and he was replaced by Bobby Hoying. Then the played Kerry Collins and the Giants in the Super Bowl.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    NASCL
    Participant

A fitting end to M&J on 93.7……………………..

Craig:  Jack in Derry. you’re the last caller to Mustard & Johnson, the FM edition

Larry:  Jacccckkkkkkk!  You going to follow us over to the AM side?

Jack:  Sorry, I’m out.  I can’t pick 850 AM in Derry.  Probably my final time listening to you.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

Even on the drive where they didn’t score – Nugent missed the FG in the wind – they chewed what like 8 or 9 minutes off the clock? Up a touchdown with a great defense against an offense that got one freak play that reminded me of when the Patriots played the regular season game against the ’85 Bears and got 1 TD in the 4th quarter off of a freak 90 yard pass play. Was there really a concern at that point? You knew the Giants weren’t scoring again. It was a matter if the Patriots would get a TD or FG. They ended up getting 2 TDs.

Single digits overnight sprinkler guy couldn’t get out here I wrapped the outdoor bell in a thermal cover and blankets hopefully no exterior pipe burst. Will be back to mid 70s by tomorrow. I see LA is burning again hopefully former go to baseball guy Brian is faring OK.

5 miles south in Sylmar. They had all the major roads closed (the 14, 5 and 405) yesterday morning during rush hour and have been randomly turning off power everywhere to hopefully prevent another Paradise Fire. Coupled with the random 60 mph winds blowing everything not nailed down into the pool its been fun.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Even on the drive where they didn’t score – Nugent missed the FG in the wind – they chewed what like 8 or 9 minutes off the clock? Up a touchdown with a great defense against an offense that got one freak play that reminded me of when the Patriots played the regular season game against the ’85 Bears and got 1 TD in the 4th quarter off of a freak 90 yard pass play. Was there really a concern at that point? You knew the Giants weren’t scoring again. It was a matter if the Patriots would get a TD or FG. They ended up getting 2 TDs.

Single digits overnight sprinkler guy couldn’t get out here I wrapped the outdoor bell in a thermal cover and blankets hopefully no exterior pipe burst. Will be back to mid 70s by tomorrow. I see LA is burning again hopefully former go to baseball guy Brian is faring OK.

5 miles south in Sylmar. They had all the major roads closed (the 14, 5 and 405) yesterday morning during rush hour and have been randomly turning off power everywhere to hopefully prevent another Paradise Fire. Coupled with the random 60 mph winds blowing everything not nailed down into the pool its been fun.

Raymond Chandler:

“There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands’ necks. Anything can happen.”

Be warned, Brian! ;-) :smile:

Yahtzee
    Participant

A fitting end to M&J on 93.7……………………..

Craig: Jack in Derry. you’re the last caller to Mustard & Johnson, the FM edition

Larry: Jacccckkkkkkk! You going to follow us over to the AM side?

Jack: Sorry, I’m out. I can’t pick 850 AM in Derry. Probably my final time listening to you.

They’re dun on 93.7?

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Yahtzee.
    Big Fat O
    Participant

Petersen and Raycroft must get paid pretty good to put up with Jaffe yapping all the time.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 191 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar