Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 10/13/2017 Daily Thread – Fucking Genius Joe

This topic contains 48 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Humphrey 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 49 posts - 1 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author

Coma
    Participant

I had a horrible thought last night: What if the WS is Cubs vs. Yankees?

I think I’d have to root for the Cubs because they’re not local, I don’t know many fans and the “Maddon invented baseball” stuff is already here. It can’t get much worse while the Yankees hype can.

TwoTimes
    Participant

Deadspin (Magary specifically), so take it how you will, but this line about Bedard sums him up perfectly.

So here’s the thing about watching game tape: it’s only as useful as the asshole watching it.

Kevin
    Participant

It’s a five-bale day.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

I had a horrible thought last night: What if the WS is Cubs vs. Yankees? I think I’d have to root for the Cubs because they’re not local, I don’t know many fans and the “Maddon invented baseball” stuff is already here. It can’t get much worse while the Yankees hype can.

Whatever the least-desired matchup in the WS by BSMW will come to pass. It’s just science.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Hacksaw
    Participant

I am routing for Houston, because of George Springer. Its always the CT guys that bring Houston to the World Series.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Hacksaw.

TwoTimes
    Participant

Arena gassed.

Kevin
    Participant

We should have taken ownership of this.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

A Washington major league baseball team has not won a postseason series of any kind since 1924.

The Washington Nationals/Montreal Expos franchise is 49 years old and has never won a postseason series.

Go Dodgers. Eff the Cubbies. Needless to say, go Astros, too.

Yahtzee
    Participant

The Expos did win one NLDS. Sort of.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Under future Red Sox manager Felipe Alou who will have Joe Torre as his bench coach. #Pinkhatdreams

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Hacksaw.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

I thought the conclusion to this baseball season sucked on Monday when for a deciding playoff game, Kenmore Square had all the life of a state funeral, the park may have sold out but there were lots of no-shows, most of the concession stands were closed up by the fifth inning, and the person next to me kept counting the all dressed in black snipers on the roof. “Friendly Fenway” my ass.

Little did I know it would get worse. Indians lose to Yankees (C.C. in particular). Dancing midgets on TBS (or whatever) celebrating the “great Yankee Victory” by “the next generation of stars” who “played the game the right way” as if they just found the Venessa Williams Penthouse in their closet under some old New York Posts. Genius Joe wins Game 5 over Dead To Me Dusty in the battle of making the managerial moves the center of attention. Of the four teams left: Dodgers (a minus for Vin Scully dead or alive and fans; plus for Dave Roberts); Cubs (big minus for Li’l Ol’ Winemaker Joe; semi-plus for Theo proving Lucky Larry was the wrong one); NYY (huge minus for the fans, especially those who now inexplicably bring their honed-in-Queens Marv Albert imitations to the broadcasts) and Houston (good but faceless; how can we work Jeter into their narrative) I’ll reluctantly have root for the ‘stros and just have to  work harder an avoiding Dale’s near-Bourquian man-crush on Tory Levullo.

And the Pats tied with the Jets and Bills isn’t helping…

Yahtzee
    Participant

That’s a beautiful post, FWL.

That sniper stuff was super creepy.

Participant

Under future Red Sox manager Felipe Alou who will have Joe Torre as his bench coach. #Pinkhatdreams

I saw David Ross’s name floated this morning.

Suzy
    Participant

He played the game the right way.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Snipers on the Fenway rooftops would be a great LJ cartoon. I’d pay big buck to see his interpretation of that.

Coma
    Participant

Arena gassed.

Full of Jets or Yankees fans, I hope.

Oh, the soccer guy. Never mind.

BrianInLA
    Participant

: Dodgers (a minus for Vin Scully dead or alive and fans; plus for Dave Roberts);

:wag: :wag:   :ozzy:

:lol:

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Right. That was a strike year, 1981, and they went to a split-season format and expanded the playoffs.  Montreal won the NL East’s second half, then beat first-half champion Philadelphia in the first round before the Dodgers beat them in the NLCS.

That whole season leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Cincinnati actually had the best season-long record in the NL West (66-42) but didn’t qualify for the playoffs because LA (63-44 overall) won the first half — that was the year of Fernandomania — and Houston (61-49) won the second half.

And, similarly, St. Louis had the best overall record (59-43) in the NL East but failed to win either half. Montreal went 60-48 and the Phillies went 59-48. Somehow the Cardinals only played 102 games, while the Expos played 108 and the Phillies 107.  What a joke.

The Dodgers beat the Yankees in the World Series, and Steinbrenner got into a fight with a Dodger fan on an elevator and ended up with a black eye. (BTW, the Yankees had the third-best overall record in the AL East behind Milwaukee and Baltimore, and had no business being in the postseason either.)  I think Steinbrenner’s shiner might have been the one redeeming thing about that season.   :lol:

Hacksaw
    Participant

I was a big Rowland Office fan.

chicowalker
    Participant

He played the game the right way.

Guys who play the game the right way or are professional hitters always seem to slash something like .230/.310/.380

Ironhead
    Participant

There aren’t many worse humans than *** ***** drawing air.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Does Ross still have that vaguely White Supremacist beard?  Asking for a Jew.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

I was following her on Instagram. I couldn’t take the constant photos of food, her man hands, dogs, and whatever first responder is currently getting genital warts from her.

chicowalker
    Participant

Holy shit, I pulled those numbers out of my azz.  Ross’ career slash line

.229/.316/.423  I underestimated his power a bit :dry:

Participant

If Bill Joel were a BBWAA member Piano Man would have been a lot different

“He gives me a quote and helps me fill my notes and says man what are you doing here.”.

Tommyfw
    Participant

If Bill Joel were a BBWAA member Piano Man would have been a lot different “He gives me a quote and helps me fill my notes and says man what are you doing here.”.

In the old days this is easily a +20 post.

Kevin
    Participant

I guess Greater Boston’s stylist and makeup person had the night off? :lol:

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

I guess Greater Boston’s stylist and makeup person had the night off? 😆

That was the last straw. I pulled the Kramer “I’m out!!”

Lefty

Point of order, I believe Kramer’s actual use of the “I’m out!” happened immediately after he pleasured himself to the woman he had just seen at a distance.

I don’t think you wanted to go with that inference in this situation.    Let’s give you a Bob Lobel mulligan, ok?

Tommyfw
    Participant

Point of order, I believe Kramer’s actual use of the “I’m out!” happened immediately after he pleasured himself to the woman he had just seen at a distance. I don’t think you wanted to go with that inference in this situation. Let’s give you a Bob Lobel mulligan, ok?

Oh, like we haven’t beaten off to a bigger skank before.

Wait, what?  :pk:

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

I stand with my original comment

Kevin
    Participant

Need Suzy on this.

Xxx put her hair up in a bun like she was on the way home from the gym, not going to do a TV appearance.

Ironhead
    Participant

Royle on Greater Boston:

Feejis
    Participant

Royle on Greater Boston:

Something tells me it’s not her face that looks like an old catchers mitt.

Yahtzee
    Participant

ew

Beaker
    Participant

You have to admit, ‘strong command of opponent’ is so much catchier than ‘hay in the barn’. Gasper Wilde wins again

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

You have to admit, ‘strong command of opponent’ is so much catchier than ‘hay in the barn’. Gasper Wilde wins again

Gasper Wilde!  Perfect.

Tommyfw
    Participant

Royle on Greater Boston:

<GIS failed me with a Brett Favre “I would have double bagged it” quote>

Suzy
    Participant

Need Suzy on this. Xxx put her hair up in a bun like she was on the way home from the gym, not going to do a TV appearance.

Just saw this!

I’m guessing she’s trying to approximate the “loose, almost-messy bun” look and didn’t pull it off (like say, Gisele would).

She’s a fashion flop/try-hard.

ETA: Just watched as much of the video as I could stomach. :blink: There are no words.

TJM
    Participant

Suzy coming out swinging “JR loose and messy”

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Need Suzy on this. Xxx put her hair up in a bun like she was on the way home from the gym, not going to do a TV appearance.

Just saw this! I’m guessing she’s trying to approximate the “loose, almost-messy bun” look and didn’t pull it off (like say, Gisele would). She’s a fashion flop/try-hard. ETA: Just watched as much of the video as I could stomach. :blink: There are no words.

I think it’s instructive that she’s such a deplorable, insane weirdo that she’s the only person whose name we’re not supposed to actually type here despite her being a tangential media member.

How crazy is that?

Humphrey
    Participant

Jim Fanning, who was more or less a caretaker after the players had tuned out Dick Williams.

Mike
    Participant

I was following her on Instagram. I couldn’t take the constant photos of food, her man hands, dogs, and whatever first responder is currently getting genital warts from her.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Mike.

Lebron
    Participant

Dabo might murder that punter during the commercial break

Lebron
    Participant

Right. That was a strike year, 1981, and they went to a split-season format and expanded the playoffs. Montreal won the NL East’s second half, then beat first-half champion Philadelphia in the first round before the Dodgers beat them in the NLCS. That whole season leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Cincinnati actually had the best season-long record in the NL West (66-42) but didn’t qualify for the playoffs because LA (63-44 overall) won the first half — that was the year of Fernandomania — and Houston (61-49) won the second half. And, similarly, St. Louis had the best overall record (59-43) in the NL East but failed to win either half. Montreal went 60-48 and the Phillies went 59-48. Somehow the Cardinals only played 102 games, while the Expos played 108 and the Phillies 107. What a joke. The Dodgers beat the Yankees in the World Series, and Steinbrenner got into a fight with a Dodger fan on an elevator and ended up with a black eye. (BTW, the Yankees had the third-best overall record in the AL East behind Milwaukee and Baltimore, and had no business being in the postseason either.) I think Steinbrenner’s shiner might have been the one redeeming thing about that season. 😆

No baseball was rough for 11 year old me.  Dwight Evans finished in a 4 way tie for the HR title with 22 IIRC.  They even split the World Series MVP 3 ways

Yahtzee
    Participant

Biggest Syracuse football win ever?

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Nice win, but no.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

I sincerely hope not.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Humphrey
    Participant

Nice win, but no.

1960 Cotton Bowl…won game and national championship.

Viewing 49 posts - 1 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar