Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 10/25/2017 Daily Thread

This topic contains 73 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  InThisTown 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 74 total)
  • Author

Participant

For Suzy via the NY Post.

For the second straight season there was a lot of criticism of Maddon for postseason strategy. Winning it all last year helped diminish the level of condemnation. And I think the logical Cubs front office will appreciate that even perfect tactics might not have allowed a physically/mentally drained Cubs team to beat the superior Dodgers in the NLCS.

But for the first time since Maddon signed the five-year, $25 million deal to manage the Cubs, I sense the unconditional love-fest has faded. I have wondered about Maddon’s shelf life because: 1) players often do not like their manager getting more attention/credit than them, and 2) players could grow weary of the offbeat stuff at some point.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  02062.

Suzy
    Participant

For Suzy via the NY Post. For the second straight season there was a lot of criticism of Maddon for postseason strategy. Winning it all last year helped diminish the level of condemnation. And I think the logical Cubs front office will appreciate that even perfect tactics might not have allowed a physically/mentally drained Cubs team to beat the superior Dodgers in the NLCS. But for the first time since Maddon signed the five-year, $25 million deal to manage the Cubs, I sense the unconditional love-fest has faded. I have wondered about Maddon’s shelf life because: 1) players often do not like their manager getting more attention/credit than them, and 2) players could grow weary of the offbeat stuff at some point.

Thank you, Zip! This warms my heart.  :wub:

Wow, shocked that ANYONE has the balls to suggest that players could actually tire of his offbeat, shticky, look-at-me crap.  :ohmy:   That’s awesome!!

Tom Pepper
    Participant

Anyone listen to the Mort/Fatty podcast? It’s kind of infuriating as far as the deflategate stuff is concerned. They really don’t seem to get the impact of the leagues fuckery and neither one even entertains the possibility that nothing happened.

were you forced to, Clockwork Orange style? I can’t imagine choosing such torture.

Haha, well I was curious about what he would say about DFG. I fast-forwarded to that part.

Lebron
    Participant

Too lazy to look it up but Pete has a Tony Romo slobber piece today, betting he was leading the “Troy Aikman didn’t even start his broadcasting career as a lead analyst!” media mourning for Pheel.

Lebron
    Participant

Of course that fat fucking fraud hedged it.

And though I think doing football on TV is harder than the public thinks, and probably harder than Romo thinks, and though I think Romo’s got a huge bridge to build to ever get to be Cris Collinsworth II, I’m not betting against him.

Lebron
    Participant

You’ve got a long way to go to be Cris Collinsworth II.  What an asshole.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

If Collinsworh is the paragon that all should ascribe to be your in a fucking shitty business. The fact that Romo is 75% of the way there in less than 2 months on the job further cements the point.

Suzy
    Participant

And though I think doing football on TV is harder than the public thinks, and probably harder than Romo thinks, and though I think Romo’s got a huge bridge to build to ever get to be Cris Collinsworth II, I’m not betting against him.

Way to take a stand. He’s so fucking deceitful and disingenuous in every way.

Kevin
    Participant

Too lazy to look it up but Pete has a Tony Romo slobber piece today, betting he was leading the “Troy Aikman didn’t even start his broadcasting career as a lead analyst!” media mourning for Pheel.

I’m like 99% sure he was.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Romo is light years better than Collensworth.

Feejis
    Participant

I would like the record to reflect that I was definitively NOT buying emergency underwear at Walmart on Monday morning.

I masochistically was listening to the FattyMort podcast. Two things made me laugh out loud right out of the gate. The gist is that Fatty has no ability to relate to human emotions. He thinks he does – he thinks he has it in spades – but the truth is he’s this soulless automaton, mimicking what he thinks are the expected emotions at different junctures.
    So Mort’s telling his cancer story, and how he went about telling his wife:

MORT: “I went home and I just told her. My wife could tell you, I’m pretty straightforward, I don’t really prepare people well. Like I’m one of those ones who say ‘Hey, the cat just got run over’…”
    (Fatty laughs)
    FATTY: “Did the cat ever get run over?” (Mort laughs)
    MORT: “Well, my mother-in-law’s cat did, so (laughs) anyway, not necessarily funny, but I went home and it was the only way I could tell her. I said, ‘Hon, all I can tell you is I have stage four throat cancer.'”

Well, of course Mort the professional reporter sucks at reporting things. Maybe he should have called Goodell first to ask him what to tell her. Later in the same story:

MORT: “So she was still sobbing and crying and still in rough shape, and I consider it an act of God: we looked out, we got this place with 40 acres…”
    FATTY: “In Arkansas…”
    MORT: “In Northwest Arkansas. And we have six horses on it, and I just happened to look outside, I remember it was an overcast day, and it had never happened since we been on this property, but the horses got out of the pasture…”
    FATTY: “Wow.”
    MORT: “So immediately, it’s ‘Green Acres’, you know? It’s hey, the horses are out of the pasture, we gotta go out and get ’em in. So there we are, running down the driveway, trying to get the horses back in the pasture and…”
    FATTY: “Did you get ’em in?”
    MORT: “Yes, yes, yeah. It took a while, but thank goodness it took a while, because it kind of let things settle down and distracted from the intensity and emotions of that moment, and provided some humor and laughter, you know?”

Look at Fatty’s stupid-ass responses: “Did the cat ever get run over?” “Wow.” “Did you get ’em in?” He has a real penchant for fixating on the totally inconsequential. Does it matter if there truly was a dead cat? And even though we can probably guess they got the horses in eventually, what does that matter in the story? Mort’s actually trying to relate a human moment about reacting to serious news, and Fatty’s worried about the damn horses. No wonder he couldn’t grasp the Anne Frank house; it’s beyond his emotional maturity.

Participant

I would like the record to reflect that I was definitively NOT buying emergency underwear at Walmart on Monday morning.

“Look, the Fruit of The Loom guys, they promised me a deal. So, so I made up a lot of stuff about Hanes ’cause that’s what they wanted. But it was all lies. Uh, everything. And I kept saying Hanes did this and Hanes did that. So, I said yeah sure — why not?”

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Way to take a stand. He’s so fucking deceitful and disingenuous in every way.

Okay, I haven’t watched “Football Night in America” in quite a while. Does Fatso still appear on that lead-in to NBC NFL Sunday Night Football Starring Cris Collinsworth?

:lol:

No, that’s NOT conflict of interest or slavishness or anything less than a totally credible statement.   :pk: :pk: :pk:

chicowalker
    Participant

What a creep- “in Arkansas”  Yes, Mortenson knows where he lives, and now we all know you know where he lives.  Reminds me of someone else’s horse farm

that mare had a foal?

Kevin
    Participant

Nothing wrong with keeping some emergency boxers in your work bag.

I’ve never had to use mine, but I love having the peace of mind knowing that they’re there.

Suzy
    Participant
    I masochistically was listening to the FattyMort podcast. Two things made me laugh out loud right out of the gate. The gist is that Fatty has no ability to relate to human emotions. He thinks he does – he thinks he has it in spades – but the truth is he’s this soulless automaton, mimicking what he thinks are the expected emotions at different junctures.

MORT: “I went home and I just told her. My wife could tell you, I’m pretty straightforward, I don’t really prepare people well. Like I’m one of those ones who say ‘Hey, the cat just got run over’…” (Fatty laughs) FATTY: “Did the cat ever get run over?” (Mort laughs) MORT: “Well, my mother-in-law’s cat did, so (laughs) anyway, not necessarily funny, but I went home and it was the only way I could tell her. I said, ‘Hon, all I can tell you is I have stage four throat cancer.’”

Well, of course Mort the professional reporter sucks at reporting things. Maybe he should have called Goodell first to ask him what to tell her. Later in the same story:

MORT: “So she was still sobbing and crying and still in rough shape, and I consider it an act of God: we looked out, we got this place with 40 acres…” FATTY: “In Arkansas…” MORT: “In Northwest Arkansas. And we have six horses on it, and I just happened to look outside, I remember it was an overcast day, and it had never happened since we been on this property, but the horses got out of the pasture…” FATTY: “Wow.” MORT: “So immediately, it’s ‘Green Acres’, you know? It’s hey, the horses are out of the pasture, we gotta go out and get ’em in. So there we are, running down the driveway, trying to get the horses back in the pasture and…” FATTY: “Did you get ’em in?” MORT: “Yes, yes, yeah. It took a while, but thank goodness it took a while, because it kind of let things settle down and distracted from the intensity and emotions of that moment, and provided some humor and laughter, you know?”

Look at Fatty’s stupid-ass responses: “Did the cat ever get run over?” “Wow.” “Did you get ’em in?” He has a real penchant for fixating on the totally inconsequential. Does it matter if there truly was a dead cat? And even though we can probably guess they got the horses in eventually, what does that matter in the story? Mort’s actually trying to relate a human moment about reacting to serious news, and Fatty’s worried about the damn horses. No wonder he couldn’t grasp the Anne Frank house; it’s beyond his emotional maturity.

So well put, BBTL.

The guy’s a fucking weirdo AND he absolutely sucks at his “job.”  Mindroasting that this ridiculous little creep has enjoyed so much success with zero talent, insight, or humanity. He literally brings nothing to the table and in fact disgraces it.

This will never not bug the shit out of me.

chicowalker
    Participant

only way that could have been better is if Fatty was interviewing Mort at said horse farm, dropped the “God, did you hear?” to Mrs. Mort before Mort had a chance to, then was forced to unleash his 26:00 5k speed to chase after the rogue horses, his glistening white New Balance and Navy-creased DadShorts covered in mud and shit

Kevin
    Participant

Hard to find King saying Romo won’t be as good as Simms. But I did find this for the “Does this this guy know his stuff, or what?” file:

That’s where Tony Romo comes into play. Some knowledge about Romo first. It’s likely he plays somewhere in 2017, and I say that because I know he had a chance to get at least one very good off-field job offer since the end of the regular season. He didn’t do it, because he still wants to play.

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/20/tony-romo-nfl-quarterback-offseason-market-draft

Coma
    Participant

MORT: “I went home and I just told her. My wife could tell you, I’m pretty straightforward, I don’t really prepare people well. Like I’m one of those ones who say ‘Hey, the cat just got run over’…” (Fatty laughs) FATTY: “Did the cat ever get run over?” (Mort laughs) MORT: “Well, my mother-in-law’s cat did, so (laughs) anyway, not necessarily funny, but I went home and it was the only way I could tell her. I said, ‘Hon, all I can tell you is I have stage four throat cancer.’”

MORT: “So she was still sobbing and crying and still in rough shape, and I consider it an act of God: we looked out, we got this place with 40 acres…” FATTY: “In Arkansas…” MORT: “In Northwest Arkansas. And we have six horses on it, and I just happened to look outside, I remember it was an overcast day, and it had never happened since we been on this property, but the horses got out of the pasture…” FATTY: “Wow.” MORT: “So immediately, it’s ‘Green Acres’, you know? It’s hey, the horses are out of the pasture, we gotta go out and get ’em in. So there we are, running down the driveway, trying to get the horses back in the pasture and…” FATTY: “Did you get ’em in?” MORT: “Yes, yes, yeah. It took a while, but thank goodness it took a while, because it kind of let things settle down and distracted from the intensity and emotions of that moment, and provided some humor and laughter, you know?”

Peter King chooses his response to an autograph seeker while waiting to order at Starbucks:

Suzy
    Participant

only way that could have been better is if Fatty was interviewing Mort at said horse farm, dropped the “God, did you hear?” to Mrs. Mort before Mort had a chance to, then was forced to unleash his 26:00 5k speed to chase after the rogue horses, his glistening white New Balance and Navy-creased DadShorts covered in mud and shit

Remember that poor hiking guy who had Fatty/Dad Shorts all up in his business? I’m dying. 

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Democritus? Voltaire? Bertrand Russell? Hitchens?

None of their efforts disprove the God of Classical Theism any better than Fatty’s lucrative career.  :lol:

Lebron
    Participant

This kind of shit enrages me

New England was enflamed over the thought that Mortensen’s reporting spawned the NFL’s investigation—likely a flawed premise

Likely a flawed premise Don’t be mad at the guy who reported it wrong, or the guy who repeated the lie when he ‘confirmed’ it with a source – probably the same source that gave him the bogus Ray Rice ‘they saw the tape’ bullshit.  No, not their fault at all.

Feejis
    Participant

In Arkansas, where I know you live…

Lebron
    Participant

And what about the laundry list of stories Mort Report! got completely fucking wrong?  You can’t even keep track of them all anymore.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar