Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 10/7/17-10/8/17 Weekend Thread

This topic contains 53 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Coma 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • Author

Claude45
    Participant

So is the story that if the tuck rule call not made, it’s a body swap situation? The Pats become irrelevant and the Raiders win a bunch of Superbowls?

What if Brady takes that loss hard and becomes even more focused and wins the next 10 in a row? The Raiders were gifted their only Championship and they still had more work in 2001 that they probably weren’t up for. If they were so dominant that a Superbowl win was automatic after that loss, why we’re they on the road in the Wildcard round? A joke.

jforb
    Participant

Good news is Farrell isn’t the worst manager in the playoffs.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  jforb.

Claude45
    Participant

So is the story that if the tuck rule call not made, it’s a body swap situation? The Pats become irrelevant and the Raiders win a bunch of Superbowls? What if Brady takes that loss hard and becomes even more focused and wins the next 10 in a row? The Raiders were gifted their only Championship and they still had more work in 2001 that they probably weren’t up for. If they were so dominant that a Superbowl win was automatic after that loss, why we’re they on the road in the Wildcard round? A joke.

That’s some terrible word misuse on the we’re/were. I’ll take a lap but I’m just glad no one is here to see it.

Brian
    Participant

Good news is Farrell isn’t the worst manager in the playoffs.

The Yankees have been a hell of a lot more competitive though.

Lefty

It’s cute and all to be “more competitive,” but 0 – 2 is 0 -2, even if you look pretty doing it.

I don’t think they extend the series based on “appearance of competition.”

Coma
    Participant

The story of the Diamondbacks coach wearing an illegal electronic device (Apple Watch) in the dugout during their win over the Rockies had a shelf life of 3 days. The investigation ended yesterday and the team will pay a fine. I imagine Arizona Shank was urging for them to be removed from the playoffs.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

So is the story that if the tuck rule call not made, it’s a body swap situation? The Pats become irrelevant and the Raiders win a bunch of Superbowls? What if Brady takes that loss hard and becomes even more focused and wins the next 10 in a row? The Raiders were gifted their only Championship and they still had more work in 2001 that they probably weren’t up for. If they were so dominant that a Superbowl win was automatic after that loss, why we’re they on the road in the Wildcard round? A joke.

That’s some terrible word misuse on the we’re/were. I’ll take a lap but I’m just glad no one is here to see it.

:lol: You can always blame autocorrect. It insists that the national baseball writer for The Globe is someone named Nick “Canard.”  Maybe it’s right, though.

So I’ll assume that no one in that stupid tuck-rule film had the audacity to suggest that the blow to the head delivered by an Oakland rusher to Brady on that play not only negated any possible fumble recovery but also should have tacked on 15 yards …

andrew
    Participant

That’s been the narrative for the last fifteen years, and it’s amazing how many people think that the Patriots’ ongoing success was attributable to a rule that shouldn’t have been properly enforced. I stumbled on to the Tuck Rule documentary on NFL Network, and even though they got rid of the tuck rule they still harp about it as though the Patriots were the only team who benefited from it.

Frank Costanza
    Participant

Thank you, CS! Somebody FINALLY pointed out the blow to the head. That’s where the officials screwed up, not on the tuck-rule ruling.

So it was 3rd&1, no blow to the head was called, so in essence an incomplete pass made it 4th&1 and the Patriots had to make it. I’m always at the ready when some whiner brings up the tuck rule play – it’s really the Raiders who got the benefit of that play.

Now, I think in those days, it would have been just a 5-yard penalty and not 15, but it still would have been a first down. Since the helmet hit wasn’t called, most people now don’t even know it happened. Or ignore it.

CornerBlitz
    Participant

Alabama got away with a Polamalu bat towards the end zone that was overlooked and not called. Infuriating.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Fvck Joe Maddon. That was a great ending.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Thank you, CS! Somebody FINALLY pointed out the blow to the head. That’s where the officials screwed up, not on the tuck-rule ruling. So it was 3rd&1, no blow to the head was called, so in essence an incomplete pass made it 4th&1 and the Patriots had to make it. I’m always at the ready when some whiner brings up the tuck rule play – it’s really the Raiders who got the benefit of that play. Now, I think in those days, it would have been just a 5-yard penalty and not 15, but it still would have been a first down. Since the helmet hit wasn’t called, most people now don’t even know it happened. Or ignore it.

With all appropriate respect to the senior Mr. Costanza, but BSMW has never wavered since its founding as to the blow to the head by Woodson on Brady.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Linkception: Deadspin has a report on Zach Lowe on a podcast taking a brief sidebar talking about how much the Hawks hated playing with Dwight Howard.

Lowe: I don’t know what it is. No one has kind of gotten to the bottom of why. It can’t just be the corny jokes—and my god, does he tell the corniest jokes—but I’ve heard multiple stories of Hawks players learning about the trade and screaming with jubilation into their phones.

Arnovitz: Yes.

Lowe: You ask why, and one account was, like, Dwight would give these speeches before the game about how everyone is playing hard, we want unity, we’re going to … and then go out and play like a blah game where he demands post touches and doesn’t rotate as hard as he could. And everyone is like, “Why are you speaking in the locker room?” But that’s all anecdotal. It’s just crazy how these stories come out after every stop in his career.

Arnovitz: As one person inside the locker room told me, “Do you know how hard it is to make Dennis Schröeder the good guy in an internecine warfare between players?” Do you know how hard it is to have a locker room pro-Dennis in terms of just mood and personality? And, you know, that lasted two or three good weeks and then Dwight was just kvetching about not getting the ball.

[…]

Everyone has this impression of “Oh, it’s the goofiness and the fart jokes and everything else,” and actually, no, I think—he’s a downer.

Frank Costanza
    Participant

Major Intangibles, I sure you’re right, but I drift in and out of here for the most part, and I miss some things.

And remember that I’m 90, so my mind also drifts in and out.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Coma
    Participant

The Raiders were 10-3 with three games to go that season and then lost all three. But, sure, they were going to win 4 straight playoff games if not for some made up “rule.” It was obvious.

Lefty

Alex Overchkin had a hat trick in the season opener. And then he had four goals tonight, so seven goals in the last six periods.   First player in 100 years to have hat tricks in back to back games.

Added benefit he dropped the four on Montreal tonight.

Tommyfw
    Participant

Things that make me think of BSMW:

Love seeing the flags flying against Riverboat Ron.

andrew
    Participant

Every time I see Ron Rivera I think of the informant that Tony Soprano stumbled upon during the episode he and Meadow went to Colby College.

That’s a shame

Oof that didn’t take long. Back to the Red Zone!

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

I should have started the Buffalo D. Oh well.

GusChiggins
    Participant

Fun watching the quarterback whisperer get embarrassed.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  GusChiggins.

Kevin
    Participant

Odell Beckham is such a cunt!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar