Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 11/10/18- 11/12/18 Veterans' Day Long Weekend Thread

This topic contains 66 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Coma 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 67 total)
  • Author

Humphrey
    Participant

Politics aside you have to admit that the lady in the middle of the Florida dispute is likely John Chaney’s long lost sister.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I haven’t been paying attention to the Bruins’ 2018-19 stats, but was stunned to read today that Backes stands at 0-0-0 (-1) after ten games.  Wow. Seems like a great guy in the community and “in the room,” but signing him was not what Sarandis might call astute use of the Bruins’ cap money, was it?

Coma
    Participant

There is no shortage of dumb takez and it’s hard to say which is the worst, but the Felger/Mazz/Murray/Bedard attempt to denigrate Patterson’s effectiveness in the running game by claimed “all he did was follow the fullback” has to be in contention for the top spot, at least for this year.

Running a play the way it’s drawn up and following your blockers is now a negative, if you’re mining for things to complain about.

Coma
    Participant

Something Hacksaw posted yesterday that I meant to respond to, since we were at the same company at the time:

He would have loved working corporate in 1995 all the free cups, pens, stress balls, sleeve of golf balls and if he was lucky an Ogio tote bag at Christmas. Then corporate realized this is a waste of their money.

I always took getting that stuff for granted in the 90s and never really gave it much thought. Not just the tchotchke stuff, but desktop or wall calendars for your cubicle. When it all dried up in the 2000s, it took me a while to realize that no one was getting a free t-shirt or calendar or coffee mug anymore.

In my career at the Hartford, I was fortunate to have great managers most of the time. By great, I mean I was friendly with them, they were laid back and they let me do my jobs without micromanaging me. At one point though, management was shuffled and I ended reporting to a woman with a very negative reputation. After a few months, I realized that what she expected was that you show up on time, put in a full day’s work and get your assignments done on time. That’s really not asking a lot, but some of her methods to achieve this left a little to be desired. For example, if you went to her with a question, she would make note of it. If you came in the future with the same question, she would refuse to answer. To make sure you were coming in on time, she had other employees cruise through the aisles to make sure people were at their desks at the start of their shift. Like I said, her expectations weren’t unreasonable, but she would not tolerate any slacking off.

How this ties into free, corporate stuff is that I was at my desk one day and got a call from my manager. She wanted to see me at her desk, right away. On my way over, I’m wracking my brain about a deadline I might have missed or something I did wrong. I get to her desk and she says, “I just wanted to call you over to let know I’ve gotten a lot of positive feedback about the job you did on the such-and-such project. Here’s compact umbrella.” That might have been the most pleasant surprise of my career at the company. I still have the umbrella somewhere.

Butler (and Justin Patton) to Philly for Saric, Covington and a 2.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Wasn’t the Miami offer better?

Big Fat O
    Participant

Let the shoe peeing commence.

Butler in Philly

Irving smothering Rozier

Haywood neutering Tatum

Everyone didn’t understand the playoff run was more of a fluke than the norm and getting rid of Irving for Rozier is ridiculous. More than one big fan is saying Irving is a problem.

Yahtzee
    Participant

He’s a me player, caller.  Not a team player.

Big Fat O
    Participant

BC hanging in there. Would love a good showing.

Didnt realize they were 17 th in the country.

Humphrey
    Participant

BC hanging in there. Would love a good showing.

Didnt realize they were 17 th in the country.

Dillon’s playing injured, does not look like the same player. That and Brown getting crushed by Christian Wilkins deep sixed their chances. BC’s defense played very well.

Lebron
    Participant

I still can’t believe the corporate Christmas parties from the ‘90s.  20 years ago I was going to parties with decent acts/bands, top shelf liquor and great food.  Everyone dressed to the 9s, great night out.  Now it’s some half ass event with a couple of drink tickets, a rubber steak, and bad awards.  Everyone feels obligated to go.  My wife’s company did a pretty solid kids party for a few years, I’ve been to one grown up party in the last 18 years.  That stuff really changed after 9/11, like what company wanted to throw a bash 2 months after that?  Plus at that point you did realize all the money getting blown on shit like ice sculptures and whatever else.  I doubt I’d be going anyhow even if they were still good.  But they were fun though.

Lebron
    Participant

Thought that was a good trade.  Sixers get a guy that can defend and shoot, which they desperately needed.  Wolves get a couple of decent guys in Saric and Covington.

Humphrey
    Participant

Shank pretty much sums up his remarks about Hernandez/Belichick when he mentions a few paragraphs later that the Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty on the Saints guy the other night (for grabbing a hidden cell phone out of the goalpost padding) would never happen with BB.

That’s right Dan, EXACTLY WHY MOST PEOPLE LIKE BB!

Hacksaw
    Participant

Something Hacksaw posted yesterday that I meant to respond to, since we were at the same company at the time:

He would have loved working corporate in 1995 all the free cups, pens, stress balls, sleeve of golf balls and if he was lucky an Ogio tote bag at Christmas. Then corporate realized this is a waste of their money.

I always took getting that stuff for granted in the 90s and never really gave it much thought. Not just the tchotchke stuff, but desktop or wall calendars for your cubicle. When it all dried up in the 2000s, it took me a while to realize that no one was getting a free t-shirt or calendar or coffee mug anymore.

In my career at the Hartford, I was fortunate to have great managers most of the time. By great, I mean I was friendly with them, they were laid back and they let me do my jobs without micromanaging me. At one point though, management was shuffled and I ended reporting to a woman with a very negative reputation. After a few months, I realized that what she expected was that you show up on time, put in a full day’s work and get your assignments done on time. That’s really not asking a lot, but some of her methods to achieve this left a little to be desired. For example, if you went to her with a question, she would make note of it. If you came in the future with the same question, she would refuse to answer. To make sure you were coming in on time, she had other employees cruise through the aisles to make sure people were at their desks at the start of their shift. Like I said, her expectations weren’t unreasonable, but she would not tolerate any slacking off.

How this ties into free, corporate stuff is that I was at my desk one day and got a call from my manager. She wanted to see me at her desk, right away. On my way over, I’m wracking my brain about a deadline I might have missed or something I did wrong. I get to her desk and she says, “I just wanted to call you over to let know I’ve gotten a lot of positive feedback about the job you did on the such-and-such project. Here’s compact umbrella.” That might have been the most pleasant surprise of my career at the company. I still have the umbrella somewhere.

Shoot Coma…the middle paragraph had to be the Hartford way. Basically my manager who became a friend after he left the Hartford always worked that way.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Mariota and Davis choose this week to finally look like what they were supposed to be.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Zo is not happy. At all.

He’s not wrong.

Big Fat O
    Participant

The panic button will be getting a work out this week.

Lebron
    Participant

That sucked.  Oh well

Coma
    Participant

Watching your team lose sucks. Watching them lose in lopsided fashion is no fun, either. With that said, let’s see how the team looks after the bye. If the offense is still struggling in 2 weeks against the Jets, then I’ll start looking for the panic button.

Humphrey
    Participant

They seem worn out; hopefully it’s all the missing pieces.

Mediocre as the defense was, if the offense wasn’t one-good-play-followed-by-two-or-three-bad-ones all game they would have still won.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I predict two weeks of measured, reasonable discourse about the Pats.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I was listening to the pre game show and Mut/Captain Obvious was listing all the reasons why this was the perfect spot for the Pats.

I was left convinced of the opposite. And it proved out.

Feejis
    Participant

I take back what I said about Dion earlier this week. What a choad.

Doncabesa
    Participant

I take back what I said about Dion earlier this week. What a choad.

He went form zero to asshole rather quickly, what a cunt.  Enjoy your super bowl you prick, see how well it went for Jacksonville.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Cowboys look like the better team tonight.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar