Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 11/11 to 11/17/2019 Weekly Thread — Bye Week ends next Sunday!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    chicowalker
    Participant

On mediocre kicking. From Zak Kretchmer, of Minneapolis: “I had to chuckle at your screed about kickers missing all of these extra points as “madness”—when you were one of the chief proponents for making it more difficult, because the old way was “too easy.”

You’re right. Weird irony.

You can’t create your own irony.  If I swear up and down about how awful it is to kick people in the nuts, how traumatic, and then I kick you in the nuts, I’m a hypocrite and an asshole, not ironic

It’s like 10,000 spoons, when all you need is a knife..across Peter King’s throat, but slowly, so he knows it’s happening, and he can waste his final words not on saying something to his family, but perhaps lament for one final time that Lamar Jackson won’t play in Green Bay until 2025..I really do think.. :weei:  

Major Intangibles
    Participant

He makes his living using words.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Coma
    Participant

On mediocre kicking. From Zak Kretchmer, of Minneapolis: “I had to chuckle at your screed about kickers missing all of these extra points as “madness”—when you were one of the chief proponents for making it more difficult, because the old way was “too easy.”

You’re right. Weird irony.

You can’t create your own irony. If I swear up and down about how awful it is to kick people in the nuts, how traumatic, and then I kick you in the nuts, I’m a hypocrite and an asshole, not ironic

It’s like 10,000 spoons, when all you need is a knife..across Peter King’s throat, but slowly, so he knows it’s happening, and he can waste his final words not on saying something to his family, but perhaps lament for one final time that Lamar Jackson won’t play in Green Bay until 2025..I really do think.. :weei:

I’m sure we’ve covered this before, but it’s completely absurd that someone like Peter King could have any influence over changing anything on-field in the NFL. When the history of the NFL in this period is written, it will be a crime if “Listening to Peter King” is not one of the negative topics.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

The Methadone Mile junkie who scared Pete out of the South End and back to Manhattan* a few years ago should get one of those “Bostonia” awards from Marty Walsh.  Maybe a statue on the Commonwealth Avenue Mall. I know he lives in “edgy” Brooklyn now, but that’s probably just to get him closer to JFK and LaGuardia.

*I’m making this up, but I’d like to think it happened.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Some former Astros pitcher claiming the Astros videotaped/stole sign during his time there in 2017 when they won their title.  Sending out the Blinded signal guessing as the story develops we’ll get national media types saying eh who cares no big deal but they were all asshurt during Patriots ‘scandals.’  Exhibit A Mike Wilbon says who cares, of course he wanted the Colts to play in 49 rather than the cheating Cheatriots, I’m sure he’s got ‘07 receipts.

Some former Astros pitcher claiming the Astros videotaped/stole sign during his time there in 2017 when they won their title. Sending out the Blinded signal guessing as the story develops we’ll get national media types saying eh who cares no big deal but they were all asshurt during Patriots ‘scandals.’ Exhibit A Mike Wilbon says who cares, of course he wanted the Colts to play in 49 rather than the cheating Cheatriots, I’m sure he’s got ‘07 receipts.

The media loves any excuse to re-trot out all the Spygate stories. Deflategate allowed them to relitigate the whole thing in multiple outlets. Every January, they can always goad some Pats opponent  into saying something stupid. And prior to Marshall Faulk getting handsy with his NFL Network female colleagues, he could be relied on at radio row to rehash the walkthrough tape myth every year.

This story gives them all the impetus they need.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

Some former Astros pitcher claiming the Astros videotaped/stole sign during his time there in 2017 when they won their title. Sending out the Blinded signal guessing as the story develops we’ll get national media types saying eh who cares no big deal but they were all asshurt during Patriots ‘scandals.’ Exhibit A Mike Wilbon says who cares, of course he wanted the Colts to play in 49 rather than the cheating Cheatriots, I’m sure he’s got ‘07 receipts.

Wilbon was openly rooting on-air for someone to injure Brady in 2007. I’m positive he didn’t make similar comments either time Manning was setting the single season TD pass record or when Mahomes came close last year.

jforb
    Participant

Daily discussion threads missing for anyone else? I can get to this and then go back up, but can’t go down from the front page.

BrianInLA
    Participant

“Big fan” Bill Simmons (as well as Matt Damon) think it was Talib who was in front of Butler on the Superbowl int. Nevermind it was probably the biggest and best play of Browner’s career especially after all the shit he took all season from the fans for all of the PI’s

2 users thanked author for this post.

“Big fan” Bill Simmons (as well as Matt Damon) think it was Talib who was in front of Butler on the Superbowl int. Nevermind it was probably the biggest and best play of Browner’s career especially after all the shit he took all season from the fans for all of the PI’s

Everybody forgets this!

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I think I’m not as angry at the Astros as I could be since they’ve beaten the Yankess and lost to the Red Sox when it counted these past few years. :lol:

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Talib?  He was gone and they weren’t even the same number.

chicowalker
    Participant

For someone who has built his persona/business around pop culture and sports ephemera, Simmons gets a ton of basic shit wrong.  I’ve never rewatched any of the super bowls (you all are fucking nuts :lol: ) but I’ve seen the Butler interception 10,000 times.  Brandon Browner can’t be confused with any other corner the Pats had at the time

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

I don’t care about the Astros either, it’s more the media reaction and how MLB will handle it.  You had corporate espionage in baseball and the way MLB handled it only people who really follow baseball know about it and no one calls the sacred Cardinals cheaters, they’re still the pillar of ‘classy’ in baseball.

Lebron
    Participant

I’m convinced pop culture in general simply makes your brain mush.  You can be ‘in’ to anything else you won’t be nearly as stupid in general.  My wife has a ferret brain which makes actual real life shit difficult.

I got a call from the doctor’s office, our son has an appt. on Friday?

Yeah, he explained it 6 months ago about a shot that he had to wait to give him.  I have it right here in my calendar I pulled out my phone right at the office and entered it.  

Huh?  What?  We took our kid to the doctor?  Phone?  Those are just for looking at US magazine headlines, right?

We do it every year.  It’s called an annual checkup.  Also, phones can do all kinds of things, you pay like a hundred bucks a month for it, you should check it out.

Oh (dazed look on face).

Don’t forget we have a meeting with our general contractor on Wednesday at 12:30.

Huh? What?  

Yes, remember you said I don’t want to move so we have to remodel and live in a hotel for 6 months.

Oh (dazed look on face).

Say, do you happen to know the name of Julian Edelman’s kid?

You serious Clark? (Laser focus recites full name/exact birth time/exact birth weight/eye color/hair color/when first steps were taken and words were spoken.)

chicowalker
    Participant

:lol:my wife is the exact opposite (thankfully for me and my children) She has all the appointments down pat, but will occasionally pop in with a “there are new star wars movies, right?” or something.

So to nobody’s surprise, apparently Zolak was the original “Just fucking sling it!” guy:

“They would all huddle together as coaches for that 10 minutes at halftime and think, ‘Well, we gotta do this, that or the other.’ And I’m like, here is the kid showing you, ‘I’m most comfortable in two-minute.’ Put the fricking kid in two-minute! That’s when I went in and I said, ‘Did you see what we just did?’”

Participant

I want the oral history of Zo’s playoff flameout when he got start.

Lefty

So to nobody’s surprise, apparently Zolak was the original “Just fucking sling it!” guy:

“They would all huddle together as coaches for that 10 minutes at halftime and think, ‘Well, we gotta do this, that or the other.’ And I’m like, here is the kid showing you, ‘I’m most comfortable in two-minute.’ Put the fricking kid in two-minute! That’s when I went in and I said, ‘Did you see what we just did?’”

Yeah, Sure Zolak said that.  If an idiot like Zolak said ANYTHING in those discussions, Parcells would have taken the clipboard out of Zolak’s hand and smacked him across the face with it so hard it would have straightened his eye out.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

Talib? He was gone and they weren’t even the same number.

Plus, he got hurt and had to come out the biggest playoff games he appeared in with the Patriots.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Leave it to SI’s Michael Rosenberg to do the “Let’s compare scandals, but the Patriots were worse” article. Rosenberg was the guy who said the Pats built the video screen out in the Gillette parking lot to be viewable from the home team sideline so Belichick could get play reviews that the opponent couldn’t see. He also was the one who set the bar low for what’s fit to print, writing about “well-founded whispers”.

Today, he broaches the nonexistent walkthrough tape, without one mention of Tomase, the Herald’s retraction, or the fact Walsh said there was no walkthrough tape:

But there are also a few key differences here. One is that the sports are quite different. Football teams are always terrified about somebody watching their practices. Baseball players do a lot of their practicing in full view of the public. To this day, many members of the 2001 St. Louis Rams believe, but cannot prove, that the Patriots filmed their walkthrough before the Super Bowl. It’s hard to even find a comparable possible allegation in baseball, unless somebody says the Astros videotaped the meetings when they go over opposing hitters or something.

More lies:

The Patriots were widely seen as the lone team breaking this rule, and they were warned about it.

Walsh said he saw the Jets doing it, heck they were even caught the year before doing it. Coaches like Jimmy Johnson and Bill Cowher said everybody does it. And Schefter said he knew of at least a dozen teams engaged in the practice.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Kingasaurus
    Participant

I remember when SI wasn’t a steaming pile of shit.

I think it was the Nixon Administration.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

Am I missing something or is that Athletic article about Cora being caught up in the Astros’ scandal entirely based on the fact that he was a coach at the time? Not saying he’s not involved, but I expected some actual evidence given the way they’re hyping it.

Lebron
    Participant

I’ll give SI until 1979 when they hired Paul Zimmerman.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 103 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar