Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 11/14/2018 Discussion Thread

This topic contains 50 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Claude45 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Yahtzee
    Participant

Celtics back home.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I was surprise to see that Roger allowed the Rams – Chief’s game to be moved stateside. Seems like the type of thing he’d double down on keeping in Mexico to benefit ‘the Integrity of the game and good faith of our international partners”.  I bet the real reason was that Mexico isn’t any where near the cash cow London is so he could care less about them and what they think.

Participant

Someone else’s money is no object!

Mehta: Jets need to sign Le’Veon Bell, even if they have to overpay

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Somebody is going to overpay for Bell, why not the Jets :lol: The Giants overpaid for OBJ and are one of the worst 5 teams in the league. The Steelers “lost” Bell at the start of the season and are in the mix for a top 2 seed in the AFC. Yes by all means bring him in. Overpaying for guys, especially ones like Bell that was effortlessly replaced by a 2nd year player making 1/10th the salary is a smart move. :lol:   :lol: I’m just disappointed Pittsburgh didn’t take a gigantic shit on their salary cap to re-up Bell.  Now they will have cash left over for other players.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Rumor was that a lot of the key players had threatened to not play monday if they didn’t move the game and that would have been a PR disaster for the NFL having a MNF game with the marquee guys sitting on the sideline.

Lebron
    Participant

That field looked like a Superfund site.  They didn’t have a choice.  And I would hope players would be saying fuck you I’m not playing if they kept it there.  On people traveling there you would hope many would plunk down the 10% or less for the insurance at the time of purchase.

Lebron
    Participant

Chico Walker to the courtesy phone please.  Chico Walker to the courtesy phone

JUST ANNOUNCED: @didoofficial at @HOBBoston on Monday, June 17th! Get your presale tickets on Thursday, 11/15 at 10am with code MIXTAPE here: https://livemu.sc/2OBAPRK

chicowalker
    Participant

:lol: Easily done, but you are confusing one-named European Ice-Queen chanteuses

:wub:

BrianInLA
    Participant

That field looked like a Superfund site. They didn’t have a choice. And I would hope players would be saying fuck you I’m not playing if they kept it there. On people traveling there you would hope many would plunk down the 10% or less for the insurance at the time of purchase.

Definitely not the case on the insurance. Local tv had a ton of stories yesterday about fans paying huge sums of money and making a family vacation out of it and getting totally porked. They might get refunds on the game tickets (still remained to be seen) but more than likely not on the travel expenses. Rams are giving a lot of free tickets to local responders which is a cool gesture. Also they realize they’d probably never come close to selling 80k tickets in a few days especially with everything that is going on here.

I know rooting for the Rams is the right thing as far as the Pats go but I don’t see how the Chiefs don’t score 73 points monday night.

chicowalker
    Participant

o/u is 63.5 :ohmy:   Never seen one that big/Dennis

TwoTimes
    Participant

Minihane kill himself yet?

Feejis
    Participant

Sucks for those traveling but I wouldn’t be shocked if nobody from the NFL even made a trip down to look at the field until a couple of days ago.

Kensil, you’re our foreign correspondent, get down there on Tuesday and make sure we are all set for Sunday.

Lebron
    Participant

That field looked like a Superfund site. They didn’t have a choice. And I would hope players would be saying fuck you I’m not playing if they kept it there. On people traveling there you would hope many would plunk down the 10% or less for the insurance at the time of purchase.

Definitely not the case on the insurance. Local tv had a ton of stories yesterday about fans paying huge sums of money and making a family vacation out of it and getting totally porked. They might get refunds on the game tickets (still remained to be seen) but more than likely not on the travel expenses. Rams are giving a lot of free tickets to local responders which is a cool gesture. Also they realize they’d probably never come close to selling 80k tickets in a few days especially with everything that is going on here.

I know rooting for the Rams is the right thing as far as the Pats go but I don’t see how the Chiefs don’t score 73 points monday night.

Unfortunately not surprised on the travel insurance.  Ironically I didn’t start buying travel insurance until I was doing family vacations.  Didn’t the NFL pork all those people in Dallas for the Super Bowl when they either didn’t get tickets they paid for or got stuck in worse seats than what they paid for?

Lebron
    Participant

😆 Easily done, but you are confusing one-named European Ice-Queen chanteuses

Wait, there’s 2 Didos?  Or is it another name?

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

The person I feel most sorry for is the poor graphic designer who spent a week putting sombreros on all the Rams receivers on his copy of The Sims.

RedSeat
    Participant

Exhibit 193,875 on why sports writing is not a real profession. There is never a valid argument for a team to overpay. By definition, overpaying is paying too much. It may be possible to make an argument that players are worth more to one team than another, and that those teams should could and should offer more to the player, but that is not the same thing as overpaying. It’s a minor point, but you’re supposedly a writer. Use the correct words to make your point. At that point, we can address how dumb your point is, but at least it won’t be built on a logical fallacy.

BrianInLA
    Participant

o/u is 63.5 :ohmy: Never seen one that big/Dennis

Also interesting that moving the game from a neutral site to a home game only moved the line 1-1.5 pts in the Rams factor and not the standard 3. 63.5 has to be a no brainer over bet, no?

Yahtzee
    Participant

Would game cancellation even be covered by travel insurance?  Unless you bought some sort of game package where it’s expressly called out, I wouldn’t think so.

Lebron
    Participant

Who knows, generally the policies cover ‘unforeseen events’ like if you or someone gets sick or injured before a trip.  Game cancellation might be categorized as such.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Vineyard Vines  :lol:   :lol: !  I’ll start seeing this on the greenbush line soon. Those honkies love them some Vineyard Vines

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Exhibit 193,875 on why sports writing is not a real profession. There is never a valid argument for a team to overpay. By definition, overpaying is paying too much. It may be possible to make an argument that players are worth more to one team than another, and that those teams should could and should offer more to the player, but that is not the same thing as overpaying. It’s a minor point, but you’re supposedly a writer. Use the correct words to make your point. At that point, we can address how dumb your point is, but at least it won’t be built on a logical fallacy.

Sport writing is a real profession. These morons do get paid for there work. It’s just a profession that requires the critical thinking skills of a house plant.

Lebron
    Participant

Rask back.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

“Well, you probably don’t realize that in professional journalism, the byline writer does not write the headlines…” says every douchey hack ever.

jforb
    Participant

Sport writing is a real profession. These morons do get paid for there work. It’s just a profession that requires the critical thinking skills of a house plant.

House plants know when to keep quiet.

Lebron
    Participant

Lot of journos comparing war stories with that article yesterday where someone posted a sports position for a stipend and occasional travel if they think you’re worth it.  T&P to those guys/gals out there, unfortunately we’ll have to wait until Veteran’s Day 2019 to honor your service.

@AlbertBreer

More Albert Breer Retweeted Jordan Raanan
    My first full-time reporting job was at less than $30K covering preps for a suburban daily. I got that job after part-timing there in college, and for a year post-college. I’m very grateful that was my path. It was enormous for my growth.

Replying to @AlbertBreer
    Yep! 20k covering preps for a weekly in Warrenton, VA. Had to do our own layouts and everything. We did second and third peer editing after initial sitdowns w our publisher. Learned so much there and gained tools that I still use today. Wouldn’t trade it.

Albert Breer

Replying to @ByMikeJones
    Yup. Covered games, then went in the office to take scores, and put out the paper til 1 a.m. Learned every facet of the operation and figured out how hard I’d have to work to get anywhere of consequence.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

BTW, when the NFL finally moves a team to London, will be on a field that, I don’t know, might have a soccer game played on it the day before?

chicowalker
    Participant

Also interesting that moving the game from a neutral site to a home game only moved the line 1-1.5 pts in the Rams factor and not the standard 3. 63.5 has to be a no brainer over bet, no?

I’m thinking so (so maybe not technically no brainer.. :lol: ) If enough people get scared off and push it down to 63 (35-28 push) even better

Participant

Lot of journos comparing war stories with that article yesterday where someone posted a sports position for a stipend and occasional travel if they think you’re worth it. T&P to those guys/gals out there, unfortunately we’ll have to wait until Veteran’s Day 2019 to honor your service.

@AlbertBreer

My first full-time reporting job was at less than $30K covering preps for a suburban daily. I got that job after part-timing there in college, and for a year post-college. I’m very grateful that was my path. It was enormous for my growth.

Replying to @AlbertBreer

Yep! 20k covering preps for a weekly in Warrenton, VA. Had to do our own layouts and everything. We did second and third peer editing after initial sitdowns w our publisher. Learned so much there and gained tools that I still use today. Wouldn’t trade it.

Albert Breer

Replying to @ByMikeJones

Yup. Covered games, then went in the office to take scores, and put out the paper til 1 a.m. Learned every facet of the operation and figured out how hard I’d have to work to get anywhere of consequence.

All these folks did it the right way and learned every aspect of the business – and yet, the business is on life support

Brian
    Participant

If I had the money, I  definitely would take that bet.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Wait, there’s 2 Didos? Or is it another name?

There were three of them until a couple of weeks ago, but a bunch of dyslexic Bills’ fans threw Dido III onto the field during the Pats’ game.  ;-)

jforb
    Participant

Sucks for those traveling but I wouldn’t be shocked if nobody from the NFL even made a trip down to look at the field until a couple of days ago.

Kensil, you’re our foreign correspondent, get down there on Tuesday and make sure we are all set for Sunday.

Florio just posted that they’ve been getting reports since September and it’s been crap since October.

GusChiggins
    Participant

BTW, when the NFL finally moves a team to London, will be on a field that, I don’t know, might have a soccer game played on it the day before?

I know the new Tottenham stadium is supposed to have two different fields. If it is ever completed.

Humphrey
    Participant

(I posted several years ago, sorry to bore the long time members)

Bertie was working for the MetroWest Daily News and covered a softball event* the league I help run was having.

Showed up with a mouth full of Skoal or a similar dip of that type. Gross. Not sure if that was a regular habit of his or a protest against having to go to this game. Or maybe it was some version of method acting!

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

I’m thinking so (so maybe not technically no brainer.. 😆 ) If enough people get scared off and push it down to 63 (35-28 push) even better

I thought of the Saints-Rams game and found this preview:

The total opened at 60 points in this NFC showdown and the reason why this number is historical is that a closing total hasn’t been this high since 2004. That total 14 years ago (60.5) was a Christmas Day game between the Chiefs and Raiders and while this shouldn’t factor into how you perceive this game, it’s worth noting the total went just OVER with 61 points.

Both teams are scoring a ton of points this season but I’m predicting an UNDER in this game. In the Rams’ last 24 games (since the start of last season), the final score has only gone OVER 60 points in six of those games. As for the Saints, the final score has only gone OVER 60 points five times in their last 23 games and the UNDER has hit in four of their last six games with an average combined score of 54.8.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Wait, there’s 2 Didos? Or is it another name?

There were three of them until a couple of weeks ago, but a bunch of dyslexic Bills’ fans threw Dido III onto the field during the Pats’ game. 😉

So its back to being a double dido.

BrianInLA
    Participant

The Rams/Saints ended up totaling 80. It was 52 at the half.

Humphrey
    Participant

The bad air around LA due to the terrible fires isn’t a concern?

jforb
    Participant

Kirk moving to radio.com. Step up from Hurricane Radio I think.

NASCL
    Participant

Brian from New Hampshire, you’re next with Kirk Minihane on radio.com

Participant

Meaghan!

Yahtzee
    Participant

He’s an asshole and I hope this venture fails. And I hope the EEI morning show fires everyone in 9 months.

Big Fat O
    Participant

What a great day. Kirk is gone. Downside is we have more of the twink and Rolo Tomase.

Show is still unlistenable unfortunately.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Just look at the sports radio landscape in this town.  Is Ordway the best we have on both stations?  Who else would you pick? Dale?

The Hub of the Universe?  More like the Hub of the Mediocre.

Podcasts, set us free.

P.S.  It’s not just radio. On a rare trip to the gym this week, I was flipping the channels on the machine and came across something that had Trenni, Tanguay and Shaughnessy on (I think).  Who the fvck would want to watch such a thing?

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Yahtzee.

Lebron
    Participant

How is a podcast on radio.com a living?  And Mutnansky a drive time host?  Says a lot about that shitty medium.

Feejis
    Participant

Minihane is terrible. They’re all terrible. Not sure why he has so many white knights. Anyone who says they’ll miss him should be institutionalized.

Fishtale
    Participant

Minihane is/can be an asshole but I find him very entertaining. WEEI f’d this up pretty good. 3rd or 4th in the rating within a month

Participant

“I’ve never failed at anything.”  Um, weren’t you gonna be a screenwriter Kirky?

jforb
    Participant

“I’ve never failed at anything.” Um, weren’t you gonna be a screenwriter Kirky?

Was he hospitalized for just suicidal thoughts or was there a failed attempt?

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Lot of journos comparing war stories with that article yesterday where someone posted a sports position for a stipend and occasional travel if they think you’re worth it. T&P to those guys/gals out there, unfortunately we’ll have to wait until Veteran’s Day 2019 to honor your service.

@AlbertBreer

Replying to @AlbertBreer

Albert Breer

Replying to @ByMikeJones

All these folks did it the right way and learned every aspect of the business – and yet, the business is on life support

They learned how to be in the journalism-with-focus-on-sports business. Now everyone is in the hottakes business. Two different things entirely.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

“I’ve never failed at anything.” Um, weren’t you gonna be a screenwriter Kirky?

Husband? Father? Neighbor? Citizen?

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar