Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 11/18/2019-11/24/2019 Weekly Discussion Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Yahtzee
    Participant

Well, we’ll see who’s America’s team.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

Call finally finished, so time to rip PK

He thinks Pouncey got a game too many because he was just defending the QB. And doesn’t think Rudolph did enough to be suspended.

4:26 p.m. Work locker rooms. Linger un-annoyingly (I think) till I can get a few minutes with Lamar Jackson.

Would everyone else use unannoyingly or gigantic cunt to describe how he hung around?

About Kaepernick

Please read the story. Please understand that most every story has shades of gray.

But the guy being sued because he told the kid to slide clearly had none.

He’s so smart teaching u10 softball with signs.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by jforb.
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Participant

No one wastes time better than me, but this is the best.

So I fired up NFL Game Rewind and went back and counted all dedicated coaching shots for head coaches and coordinators in the game last Monday night.

The coaches-on-camera scoreboard from the five-quarter game, the 27-24 overtime win for Seattle:

San Francisco head coach Kyle Shanahan: 59.
    Seattle head coach Pete Carroll: 53.
    San Francisco defensive coordinator Robert Saleh: 21.
    Seattle offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer: 14.
    Seattle defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr.: 4.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I can certainly understand the point of view that Kaepernick is more trouble than he’s worth it; he did himself zero favors with his post-workout statement.

I also feel confident that the NFL lawyers tried to slip a really broad release past him to screw himself out of any number of areas of future and past recourse  – good for him for telling them to stuff it.

Lebron
    Participant

I love how the Kaepernick detractors are saying well it’s a general release form everyone signs it!  That doesn’t make it a good document to sign.  And if Kaepernick feels like he’s getting fucked or if it’s a sham why wouldn’t he want someone to film the workout?  The whole thing is weird, has the NFL ever set up a general workout for one player?  It’s basically a wash your hands hey we did everything we could exercise.  And no doubt that Kaepernick is a difficult proposition because he wouldn’t take a pay cut with the Broncos and has made it sound like he wouldn’t accept a backup role, never mind the rest of the stuff.  Then you get weirdo unemployed film watchers saying his arm slot or motion is all screwy he sucks um Philip Rivers might have one of the ugliest motions I’ve ever seen and everyone gets in a hot lather over him.

Lebron
    Participant

The Pouncey thing is crazy.  He basically excuses his behavior because of course he’s going to lash out violently.  He was kicking a guy on the ground.  Was probably a big fan of Pouncey’s “Free Hernandez!” tshirts too.  Hey, just supporting his guy!

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I was looking up NFL MVP betting odds. Here’s the list from this site:

Lamar Jackson
    Bet now
    +170
    Bet now
    +150
    Russell Wilson
    Bet now
    +200
    Bet now
    +150
    Aaron Rodgers
    Bet now
    +900
    Bet now
    +1600
    Deshaun Watson
    Bet now
    +900
    Bet now
    +1000
    Patrick Mahomes
    Bet now
    +1200
    Bet now
    +1600
    Dak Prescott
    Bet now
    +1400
    Bet now
    +1600
    Christian McCaffrey
    Bet now
    +2000
    Bet now
    +3000
    Dalvin Cook
    Bet now
    +2500
    Bet now
    +3000
    Tom Brady
    Bet now
    +2800
    Bet now
    +8000
    Kirk Cousins
    Bet now
    +3300
    Bet now
    +5000
    Jimmy Garoppolo
    Bet now
    +4000
    Bet now
    +5000
    Carson Wentz
    Bet now
    +8000
    Bet now
    +10000
    Michael Thomas
    Bet now
    +8000
    Bet now
    +10000
    Drew Brees
    Bet now
    +10000
    Bet now
    +10000

There are 14 players listed. 11 are QBs. The only QB drafted in the top 10 was Wentz (#2 in 2016) and Mahomes (#10 in 2017). There are more QBs drafted outside of the first round than in it.

I think we’re in a weird realignment era of QBs when people just didn’t know how to draft QBs and/or the apparent qualifications have become different than what they once were and everyone realized it at different times. Also, injuries took out Luck, Newton, and RGIII. The top 10 QB picks of the last 10 years who never really made it at all into a potential MVP discussion are Bradford, Locker, Gabbert, Tannehill, Winston, Mariota, Bortles, and I think it’s safe to add Trubisky. Goff might have gotten into the discussion last season. Maybe one or two of Mayfield, Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, Daniel Jones, and Kyler Murray will develop into that level, though I wouldn’t bet on any one of them.

Lebron
    Participant

I’m interested to see what the Bears do with Trubisky.  Guys like Winston and Newton will likely be on the move, but Winston is at the bitter end of his first contract and Newton is nearly 10 years into the league.  Bortles got through most if not all of his first deal and got an extension I think.  With the younger guys, I think we’re entering an era of draft a guy if you don’t like him dump him immediately and draft another guy and keep doing it until you find the right one.  Draft multiple QBs every year too.  But you pretty much have to hate the guy, like the Cardinals with Rosen and maybe the Bears with Trubisky.  If you kinda sorta maybe not sure somewhat like a guy, sign him to an extension with tons of guaranteed dough right away.

It’s also hard for these teams that glaringly suck and especially at QB that hold a high draft pick not to take one just because of the pressure to do so.  I think about those guys last year and I still don’t see why you would waste a first rounder on any of them.  But the teams were so devoid of talent or even a plan at the position that they felt they had to take a QB.  Darnold was glaring rockhead at USC, I still don’t understand how anyone looked at that guy and said fuck yeah go get him.  Rosen sucked in his senior year particularly, no idea why you’d waste the 1oth or whatever pick on him.  Josh Allen, whatever.  Trubisky played what 10 games and the Bears traded up for him?  What the fuck is that all about?  Gee we’re shocked he sucks.  The Giants drafting Jones at 5 or 6, why?  Granted Eli blows but you need help seemingly everywhere.  Oh and don’t count out the shitty coaching these players get.

Feejis
    Participant

I’m interested to see what the Bears do with Trubisky. Guys like Winston and Newton will likely be on the move, but Winston is at the bitter end of his first contract and Newton is nearly 10 years into the league. Bortles got through most if not all of his first deal and got an extension I think. With the younger guys, I think we’re entering an era of draft a guy if you don’t like him dump him immediately and draft another guy and keep doing it until you find the right one. Draft multiple QBs every year too. But you pretty much have to hate the guy, like the Cardinals with Rosen and maybe the Bears with Trubisky. If you kinda sorta maybe not sure somewhat like a guy, sign him to an extension with tons of guaranteed dough right away.

It’s also hard for these teams that glaringly suck and especially at QB that hold a high draft pick not to take one just because of the pressure to do so. I think about those guys last year and I still don’t see why you would waste a first rounder on any of them. But the teams were so devoid of talent or even a plan at the position that they felt they had to take a QB. Darnold was glaring rockhead at USC, I still don’t understand how anyone looked at that guy and said fuck yeah go get him. Rosen sucked in his senior year particularly, no idea why you’d waste the 1oth or whatever pick on him. Josh Allen, whatever. Trubisky played what 10 games and the Bears traded up for him? What the fuck is that all about? Gee we’re shocked he sucks. The Giants drafting Jones at 5 or 6, why? Granted Eli blows but you need help seemingly everywhere. Oh and don’t count out the shitty coaching these players get.

Trubisky an especially awful choice given Mahones and Watson were taken 8 and 10 picks later. Look at that 2017 draft and there are a lot of good players in the first round that could have helped them. And now with the Mack trade when do they even have their next 1st rounder? You almost have to go with Newton for a couple years and hope he is healthy.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by Feejis.
    Coma
    Participant

The Pouncey thing is crazy. He basically excuses his behavior because of course he’s going to lash out violently. He was kicking a guy on the ground. Was probably a big fan of Pouncey’s “Free Hernandez!” tshirts too. Hey, just supporting his guy!

Sounds like a trial balloon by Pete to gauge the response for Pouncey’s suspension being reduced. Actually, the response doesn’t matter. The Rooney’s just want the idea out there that their player’s suspension was too harsh before it gets reduced.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

No one wastes time better than me, but this is the best.

So I fired up NFL Game Rewind and went back and counted all dedicated coaching shots for head coaches and coordinators in the game last Monday night.

The coaches-on-camera scoreboard from the five-quarter game, the 27-24 overtime win for Seattle:

San Francisco head coach Kyle Shanahan: 59.

Seattle head coach Pete Carroll: 53.

San Francisco defensive coordinator Robert Saleh: 21.

Seattle offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer: 14.

Seattle defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr.: 4.

:pk: In the FAIRNESS BOWL, those numbers would be:

:pk: Shanahan and Carroll: 59 each

:pk: Saleh, Schottenheimer and Norton: 29.5 each (the whole thing is skewed by Shanny being his own OC.)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

If you’re the Bengals do you take a guy like Joe Burrow from LSU at #1?  Justin Herbert?  You’d be smarter to take a guy like Chase Young or that tackle from Georgia – Thomas I think – because you colossally blow everywhere but I’d shocked if they didn’t go QB.  I can’t see Tua going #1 but will have to see what it looks like with his recovery.  Then if you keep the coach who looks like a dumbass in way over his head he’s basically dead man walking and you blow the top pick on a QB that has no chance in hell and will be going through a musical chairs of coaches washing machine cycle.  So why bother.

I really don’t understand why some of these dogshit teams don’t back up the truck for Dabo or Smart or Riley and give them total control.  You’re already churning through ‘hot assistant!’ types like Fredo going through cocktail waitresses, why not go for broke and maybe you stabilize the coaching and front office?  That’s more important than any of these draft picks.  Granted the college guys have it made where they are and as Lou Holtz once said why would I limit myself to one first round pick a year when I can have ten a year but what the fuck, try selling these guys on the potential opportunity.  They’re egomaniacs like everyone else and think they can turn anything around.  Why not let them try?

jforb
    Participant

At this point, I think I’d spend every pick in the first half of every draft on OL and D. You can find receivers late, with a good line any guy off the scrap heap works at RB. I’d take my chances with that and a game manager QB if you can’t sign a decent free agent one.

Lefty

Where are all the “Brady has lost it people” to scream “Phil Rivers has lost it!”

or, are we just so used to seeing but-crushing picks from Rivers that it does seem like a drop off?

GusChiggins
    Participant

If you’re the Bengals do you take a guy like Joe Burrow from LSU at #1? Justin Herbert? You’d be smarter to take a guy like Chase Young or that tackle from Georgia – Thomas I think – because you colossally blow everywhere but I’d shocked if they didn’t go QB. I can’t see Tua going #1 but will have to see what it looks like with his recovery. Then if you keep the coach who looks like a dumbass in way over his head he’s basically dead man walking and you blow the top pick on a QB that has no chance in hell and will be going through a musical chairs of coaches washing machine cycle. So why bother.

I really don’t understand why some of these dogshit teams don’t back up the truck for Dabo or Smart or Riley and give them total control. You’re already churning through ‘hot assistant!’ types like Fredo going through cocktail waitresses, why not go for broke and maybe you stabilize the coaching and front office? That’s more important than any of these draft picks. Granted the college guys have it made where they are and as Lou Holtz once said why would I limit myself to one first round pick a year when I can have ten a year but what the fuck, try selling these guys on the potential opportunity. They’re egomaniacs like everyone else and think they can turn anything around. Why not let them try?

I’d look to hire Matt Campbell from Iowa state if going that route. Doesn’t get the high recruits and seems focused on the whole game but has been very solid.

Lebron
    Participant

Where are all the “Brady has lost it people” to scream “Phil Rivers has lost it!”

or, are we just so used to seeing but-crushing picks from Rivers that it does seem like a drop off?

I was going to say I don’t think Phil ever really had it such that he lost it.  I can’t imagine rooting for this guy for 13 plus seasons.

Lebron
    Participant

Look at a Kingsbury, fired at Texas Tech and he’s not doing half bad with the Cardinals.  Swinney is already making close to 10 at Clemson so he would be tough to get.

chicowalker
    Participant

WW2 felger tweeted about the full Rivers experience on that last drive (before, actually, quite prescient)  As someone who had the chiefs -5.5, I had to stay up way longer than I would have liked to watch that shit.

Chiefs are trash btw.  If Wynn is even 3/4 healthy Pats will run for 150 on them

jforb
    Participant

Going through twitter it looks like more people than not called the full Rivers experience before it happened.

chicowalker
    Participant

It’s uncanny.  I wish I had saved the numbers I put together a couple of weeks ago.  Every goddamned game :lol:

Big Fat O
    Participant

Big time college coaches in football or basketball can’t make it work in the pros.

You’ve seen it with Saban and Pitino flame out because yelling at them all day won’t work. College players will do whatever Saban says since they have a good shot at the pros by going to Alabama.

Same with pro coaches going to college. They don’t want to recruit or babysit college players.

perhaps a lower level college coach can make it in the pros but forget the big time once.

Lebron
    Participant

Saban wasn’t there long enough and he also didn’t get the quarterback he wanted.  He wanted Brees and didn’t care about the physical.  Pitino didn’t do poorly with the Knicks in his first stint, it was the Celtics stint that was god awful.  The point is more about trying something or anything different than what you are already doing, you know what those results are.

The bigger issue I think is that college coaches such as Dabo and the like is that you would have to give them total control and no one wants to do that.  It’s a big ask.  Some owners have done it before and it didn’t work well.  As an example I give Lurie in Philadelphia credit for at least trying with Chip Kelly.  It didn’t work but at least he tried.  I think Kelly got them to the playoffs one year?

Look at the Broncos.  Vance Joseph was the hot coordinator and he was an abomination.  So your next hire is … Vic Fucking Fangio?  60 years old, never been a head coach.  Yeah, sounds great.  Trade for Joe Flacco.  Wonderful.  So you’re right back to 3-7.  What’s the point in any of it?  Why not call David Shaw at Stanford or Chris Peterson at Washington or Kyle Whittington at Utah.  You clearly have a blase excuse for a culture anyhow, see if one of these guys can jumpstart it.  Fangio has kidney stones and surrounded himself with shitty coordinators.  Everyone assumes he’s gone in a year max, they stopped listening.  And he’s 60, you know this isn’t a long term hire, why bother?  Or trade for Flacco as a ‘bridge QB’ … a bridge to what?  Fuck I’d call brother Jim, Meyer any of those guys.  It’s better than whatever the fuck else they’re doing.  At least it can’t be worse.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I wasn’t expecting the Celtics to be this good on defense this season. I figured their offense would be good and their D would be pedestrian.

jforb
    Participant

Does everyone that gets arrested in Columbus get charged with menacing?

Participant

I believe the press has petitioned the Patriots to make Tom wear one of these to the postgame pressers going forward.

Amazing Mood Ring Emotion Feeling Color Change Adjustable ...

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar