Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 11/18/2019-11/24/2019 Weekly Discussion Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Coma
    Participant

Peter King in his preamble to introducing a story about the Astros signal stealing controversy, PK told a story about his time as a softball coach. He and wife coached a girls 10 and under travel softball team in Montclair, NJ. King taught the team signals for stealing, pickoffs, taking extra bases and so on. In King’s mind, the girls loved it. Maybe they did. A couple years ago, I experienced the same level of softball as a parent/spectator. I believe our coaches tried setting up signals early in the season, but realized it was a waste of time. Their solution was just to have the first and third base coaches tell the kids to steal when the ball got past the catcher or to take an extra base if the ball was hit to the outfield. Nothing to remember, nothing to change. If your coach yelled “Go!” you took off for second, or third or home. We played a team once where their third base coach was MLB signals, like touching his hat, nose, and ear in addition to standing on one foot at times. It seemed like a lot of unnecessary effort because nobody ever stole on a pitch the catcher caught cleanly.

Maybe the level of play for 10 year olds in Montclair was high enough to justify all the signal work. Or maybe, like Bedard teaching kids to score a baseball game, it was more for PK’s enjoyment than the kids.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Belichick’s long-awaited Top 100 NFL Players of All Time show debuts at 8 p.m. EST tonight on NFL Network. :smile:

Of course, he has to share the stage with Cris Collinsworth. :dry:

Participant

Don’t sleep on the walking pud that is Rich Eisen on that NFLN show.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Eisen’s a pathetic Jets fan like many in his profession, but on the plus side he rides Brady’s jock because they both went to Michigan. Mileage may vary.

Collinsworth however, sucks in all aspects and situations.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Yahtzee
    Participant

Good grief. Just flipped over to the Celtics game. What happened?

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Me too.  Kemba hurt his neck? This doesn’t look good.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I’ve now seen the video. Kemba goes for a ball, stumbles off with his head down. Hits Semi directly in the chest with the top of his head, goes straight down. Search Twitter for “Hope Kemba” to find it. The video itself isn’t gruesome except that we know it’s led to Kemba being boarded off in a neck brace.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Ack

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

This would be the beset possible news.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Can already see that people out there think that Belichick, Collinsworth and Eisen picked the All-Time 100 Players (plus All-Time Ten Coaches) themselves.

Belichick was part of a 26-member committee that selected the winners, and that committee includes humps like Shula, Dan Fouts, and (of course) Fatty. (What, no Zombie Doctor Z?) But Bill will be blamed for oversights and slights, I’m sure.

<SPOILER ALERT>

The usual suspects got picked: Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders (who were all in-studio; Sanders said to Bill, “If I’d been traded to a place like New England I would’ve played ten more years”), Eric Dickerson, Walter Payton, Gale Sayers, Earl Campbell, O. J. Simpson (they acknowledged his “fall from grace” but didn’t mention his “cutting” ability). From the 1950s they picked Lenny Moore, the 1940s Marion Motley and Steve Van Buren, and the 1930s Dutch Clark. In a nice touch, though, Curtis Martin was left off the Top 12. (As was LT.) I like Martin, but I love pissing off Jets’ fans.

They also revealed two of the Top 10 coaches — Paul Brown and BB himself.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Lefty

Can already see that people out there think that Belichick, Collinsworth and Eisen picked the All-Time 100 Players (plus All-Time Ten Coaches) themselves.

Belichick was part of a 26-member committee that selected the winners, and that committee includes humps like Shula, Dan Fouts, and (of course) Fatty. (What, no Zombie Doctor Z?) But Bill will be blamed for oversights and slights, I’m sure.

<SPOILER ALERT>

The usual suspects got picked: Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders (who were all in-studio; Sanders said to Bill, “If I’d been traded to a place like New England I would’ve played ten more years”), Eric Dickerson, Walter Payton, Gale Sayers, Earl Campbell, O. J. Simpson (they acknowledged his “fall from grace” but didn’t mention his “cutting” ability). From the 1950s they picked Lenny Moore, the 1940s Marion Motley and Steve Van Buren, and the 1930s Dutch Clark. In a nice touch, though, Curtis Martin was left off the Top 12. (As was LT.) I like Martin, but I love pissing off Jets’ fans.

They also revealed two of the Top 10 coaches — Paul Brown and BB himself.

I don’t know enough about the old timers (Marion Motley, etc) but how anyone anywhere could even for a split second think Tomlinson belongs in there ahead of any of the modern players is beyond me.

Lefty

Or Terrell Davis or Curtis Martin, fwiw, and I loved Curtis.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

So, of the other eight “top coaches” … the consensus picks will undoubtedly be Lombardi, Halas, Lambeau, Shula, Landry, Walsh, Gibbs and Noll.

Leaving out Parcells.  And Coughlin.  That would be a shame.

EDIT: Just saw Mittens’ Sunday NFL notes column. Coughlin didn’t even make the finals.  But Dungy did. :lol:

jforb
    Participant

<SPOILER ALERT>

O. J. Simpson (they acknowledged his “fall from grace” but didn’t mention his “cutting” ability).

Guess we know which segment PK didn’t write.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I’m glad the climate change protesters decided to disrupt the least important sporting event possible. #HarvardYale

Lefty

Dungy? Seriously?

Yahtzee
    Participant

Dale: not much happening at the end of the third or OT, huh?

Yahtzee
    Participant

Shouldn’t Sean Payton know it’s a fool’s errand to challenge PI calls?

Yahtzee
    Participant

Wentz is terrible.

Lefty

Shouldn’t Sean Payton know it’s a fool’s errand to challenge PI calls?

Shockingly, Gruden just won one against the Jets, which pleases me

Lefty

Ok,  now the incredibly consistent NFL appears to have decided this is the week the video guys will start calling interference after doing nothing all year.   First, Gruden wins one.  Niece the booth called down to call one on an uncalled foul in the Browns game.   Someone impeded OBJ, but NO ONE was looking for a call when the booth rang in.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I love the Jets catching fire right now. Swallow all of the hype, please.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Three consecutive plays with fumbles in Eagles/Seahawks game.

jforb
    Participant

Seattle sports media all over the team for needing a flea flicker?

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar