Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 11/19/2018 – 11/25/2018 Thanksgiving Week Thread

This topic contains 151 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Claude45 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 152 total)
  • Author

Yahtzee
    Participant

Saving some bytes by making it a weekly thread for this holiday week.

May the locals thump the Jets, Knicks and Canadiens.

Humphrey
    Participant

Shank’s slipping a little – an article about Harvard/Yale and no mention of Grey Poupon.

jforb
    Participant

Nothing like being woken at 6:15 because your neighbor had his kid for the weekend and was pounding on the horn screaming get your f’n stuff, get the f’n dog and get the f in the car now. :ozzy:

Yahtzee
    Participant

Nothing like being woken at 6:15 because your neighbor had his kid for the weekend and was pounding on the horn screaming get your f’n stuff, get the f’n dog and get the f in the car now. :ozzy:

People are the worst.

Nick B
    Participant

Shank’s slipping a little – an article about Harvard/Yale and no mention of Grey Poupon.

to bad its not down a flight of stairs

Chuck Schick
    Participant

So apparently Sackface is on the weight loss gravy train now? His awful ad is him talking about his “love of food” and “career in food.” Calm down, you’re an ad salesman in the Ooey-Gooey space, not Gord Ramsey or Jules Kiddo.

jforb
    Participant

King has a section labeled “Intelligent Football” that ends with “A PFF Elite subscription gives you access to performance metrics the pros use.” Is that a paid ad in the column?

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

So apparently Sackface is on the weight loss gravy train now? His awful ad is him talking about his “love of food” and “career in food.” Calm down, you’re an ad salesman in the Ooey-Gooey space, not Gord Ramsey or Jules Kiddo.

He’s not even *** *****.   :lol:

Suzy
    Participant

to bad its not down a flight of stairs

This made my morning when I checked the site on the way to work. Thanks, Nick!
    :lol:

Lebron
    Participant

I can’t even read that Pete stuff on the Saints.  Have some self respect for crying out loud.

Coma
    Participant

I wouldn’t have known about this if ITT hadn’t tweeted about it, but the NFL is replacing 5 members of Clete Blakeman’s regular officiating crew with “all star” officials (link). This happens in the playoffs, but it’s very unusual for a regular season game. It’s high profile game, so it makes sense that you would want your best officials working it, but it also raises a lot of questions that Peter King would never dream of asking. 6 teams have a bye this week, so there are 3 officiating crews not working, but what happens if the big game next year takes place when all the teams are playing? If the league moves their best officials to one game, is that sending a message the game the reassigned officials are working is less important? Or that fans should accept poor officiating in that game? What happens if the all stars blow some calls tonight? Would those have happened if Blakeman’s regular crew was working together? Is the league going to do this in the last 2 or 3 weeks of the season, when teams are locking up seeds and playoff spots? What if there is no “marquee game” next year? Does this concept go on the shelf or do they assign the all star team to game like the Saints and Eagles?

Feejis
    Participant

It’s not even that “big” of a game. It’s big for fantasy football fagolas and the people that like to talk about how much they like football, but it’s an intraconference game that has limited, if any, playoff implications.

The fact that the league has public designated this game as more important than, say the HOU-WAS game yesterday is par for the course.

Lebron
    Participant

I saw some promo this morning with what appeared to be Wit and Boog in a war room yelling and pointing a lot, so it must be a big game.

Participant

“I think Russell Wilson would be a good life coach.”

—FOX’s Joe Buck, in the third quarter of the Green Bay-Seattle game.

“UConn’s going to have a good men’s basketball team. The new coach, Danny Hurley, obviously coaches defense. I watched 10 minutes of UConn-Syracuse, and that’s all you need to see to know that if you don’t play D, you’re not playing for Danny Hurley.”  2 names I recognize and you only need to watch 10 minutes to figure it out.

“When I was a kid, I loved Elton John. (Still do.) I was 19 on the day of the Bicentennial, July 4, 1976. It was the summer after my freshman year at Ohio University, and I went with a couple of friends to see Elton John in Foxboro at the old stadium there, Schaefer Stadium. We got there the night before and camped out. What a night. Elton came out dressed as the Statue of Liberty. Late in the show, here came Billie Jean King, and they did a “Philadelphia Freedom” duet. Cool stuff.”

“Lee Harvey, you are a madman – camping out?  I wanna party with you cowboy.” Image result for lee harvey you are a madman

RedSeat
    Participant

I don’t consume a lot of sports media, so it’s entirely possible I’m just missing it, but I’m surprised I haven’t heard one word about how badly Rivers blew it yesterday. First play after the 2 minute warning, on the Denver 48, 3rd and 7, Denver out of timeouts, Chargers up two. They call a pass play, which I don’t have a problem with, but when facing pressure, he threw it away. You have to take the sack there. Yardage means nothing since you’re punting. But throwing it away stopped the clock, so Denver had the ball with 1:51 left, instead of 1:11.

Not that big a deal, certainly not 4th and 2 level hubris, but not one word about a terrible, potentially game-changing mistake?

Lebron
    Participant

Pete’s on a weird Elton John kick.

jforb
    Participant

Participant

Hold me closer pudgy writer
    Count the good deeds in Mara’s favor
    Lay me down with a hint of citrus
    I’ve had a busy day today

Lebron
    Participant

I don’t consume a lot of sports media, so it’s entirely possible I’m just missing it, but I’m surprised I haven’t heard one word about how badly Rivers blew it yesterday. First play after the 2 minute warning, on the Denver 48, 3rd and 7, Denver out of timeouts, Chargers up two. They call a pass play, which I don’t have a problem with, but when facing pressure, he threw it away. You have to take the sack there. Yardage means nothing since you’re punting. But throwing it away stopped the clock, so Denver had the ball with 1:51 left, instead of 1:11.

Not that big a deal, certainly not 4th and 2 level hubris, but not one word about a terrible, potentially game-changing mistake?

Only thing I’ve seen is Lombardi mentioning it

According to Michael Lombardi @mlombardiNFL, Anthony Lynn’s play calling and clock management in yesterday’s Chargers / Broncos showdown amounted to ‘coaching malpractice.’

BrianInLA
    Participant

Here in LA? Not a single word. Not even from the few Charger fans I know. It was mostly “Typical Rivers/Chargers….when is the Rams game?” The local sports media didn’t make a single comment on the play or situation. Its all about the hype for the “Matchup Of The Century” which most locals like to think of as a prelude to this years Super Bowl and we all know how often those things play out in reality. I’m still hoping for a 73-0 Chiefs win.

Lebron
    Participant

Any word on how many PPV buys for that Tiger/Phil match on Friday?  I can’t find anything on it.

Participant

I hope ESPN gives us a lot of cut-a-ways to celebs in the crowd*.

Tessitore will be Grande level insufferable tonight with it being the game of the century and all.

*Who happen to be attached to an ABC/Disney program/movie that they need to pimp.

jforb
    Participant

Any word on how many PPV buys for that Tiger/Phil match on Friday? I can’t find anything on it.

Zero?

BrianInLA
    Participant

Any word on how many PPV buys for that Tiger/Phil match on Friday? I can’t find anything on it.

I have to think it bombs terribly. Though, to be honest, after watching some of the previews that they’ve shot for it if I’m not doing anything friday I might look for it via one of the streaming sites and catch a bit of it. Would never pay a dime for it and can picture getting bored with it 20 minutes in. I’m a huge golf-on-tv guy so if its not in the ballpark for me I have to think its the same for the majority of other golf fans and I cant see any casual fan forking over real money for it.

Lebron
    Participant

I have to think it bombs terribly. Though, to be honest, after watching some of the previews that they’ve shot for it if I’m not doing anything friday I might look for it via one of the streaming sites and catch a bit of it. Would never pay a dime for it and can picture getting bored with it 20 minutes in. I’m a huge golf-on-tv guy so if its not in the ballpark for me I have to think its the same for the majority of other golf fans and I cant see any casual fan forking over real money for it.

I saw some of the HBO thing they did on it.  It just doesn’t have any juice.  Maybe if they did it 20 years ago.  Like Russell and Wilt playing 1 on 1 in a pay per view in 1978.

Coma
    Participant

With yesterday being the anniversary of Joe Theismann’s injury and Alex Smith also suffering a season ending leg injury, I thought I would pull a Breer and make it all about me:

I wasn’t much of a football fan when Theismann was hurt. I heard about it and heard how bad it was, but I didn’t see it. Years went by and I kept missing replays of the injury. I either wasn’t watching or wasn’t in the room when it was shown. I remember being in a bar in ‘91 or ‘92 for MNF and they showed the play. It would have been perfect, except I had my back to the TV and turned around to see Taylor waving to the sidelines for help. Finally, in the late 90s or early 2000s, ESPN (or maybe NFLN or the old Classic Sports Network) ran a special titled “The Night Lawrence Taylor Sacked Joe Theismann’s Career.” In the ad for the show, I got to see the injury about 5 times in 60 seconds. That was definitely more than enough viewings.

Feejis
    Participant

I hope ESPN gives us a lot of cut-a-ways to celebs in the crowd*.

Tessitore will be Grande level insufferable tonight with it being the game of the century and all.

*Who happen to be attached to an ABC/Disney program/movie that they need to pimp.

There’s Jenna Fischer and Goldie Hawn’s kid – stars of the hit series…

Big Fat O
    Participant

The Celtics have played 16/82 games and granted haven’t looked great at times but the hoop experts have declared  the season over.

No reason to watch or care. Ditto the Pats. Lucky to get the wildcard and they will get smoked by Pitt or KC.

Im so glad Fraudway and Felger are helping me so I’m not disappointed.

Lebron
    Participant

Witten just blurts out shit.  Tyreke Hill line up inside! Thanks, I can see.  Then says Cooks has improved as a route runner.  How?  What did he used to do v what does he do now?

BrianInLA
    Participant

Real good thing they decided to go with an All Star crew for this so I could watch 21 plays and 17 flags already. Well done Men Of Goodell. One more TD and Rams fans are going to start tuning out.

Coma
    Participant

You can challenge a penalty now?

Feejis
    Participant

You can challenge a penalty now?

I was surprised they could. Technically not challenging the penalty I guess, challenging that the ball was tipped? A normal PI not allowed to challenge.

Lebron
    Participant

I think you can challenge too many men penalties, either the call itself or if they don’t call it

BrianInLA
    Participant

You can challenge a tipped ball / non-tipped ball. Have seen that a few times to counter a PI.

You can challenge too many men (or missed too many men) but NOT the play clock violation as the zero is just a reference. Consistent. Why not just allow the challenge of anything/everything? You only get a couple per game. Same thing with MLB and what is/isn’t allowed.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I’m utterly baffled by the Celtics.

Lefty

National or local, Sunday or any other night, I find myself enjoying NFL games more by muting the TV and only putting the sound up to hear penalties.

GusChiggins
    Participant

I’m with Joe. Bring on the halftime show. The insight I’m sure is unbelievable.

GusChiggins
    Participant

National or local, Sunday or any other night, I find myself enjoying NFL games more by muting the TV and only putting the sound up to hear penalties.

I have no problem watching a game without sound at a bar but struggle to do it at home. I can’t even watch Sunday night football because Michaels and Collinsworth are so awful.

chicowalker
    Participant

Zeller looks like his parents are brother/sister

zuerleins missed xp had Chiefs+ 3 cued up to win, not push, then butker had to return the favor  :weei:

BrianInLA
    Participant

That was the first 23-23 halftime ever.  Odd? Sad? No clue? I’m still loving the over.

Lebron
    Participant

Rat Pack Tess wants to fuck Travis Kelce

Lebron
    Participant

What the fuck is with those bizarre animations?  Was that supposed to be And Reid?  The one they did earlier with Brady and Manning was equally bizarre since when does Brady have 20 inch pythons?

GusChiggins
    Participant

From the shots I’ve seen, Goff’s personality is similar to Peyton Manning. He just grabs the surface, looks at it and ignores everything else. Obviously you need to review the film but lack of interaction leads me to believe he will be throwing teammates under the bus in the future.

BrianInLA
    Participant

According to Rovell 69% of betters took the over tonight.  Sucks for Vegas.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Game has pretty much lived up to the hype.

GusChiggins
    Participant

Nice back to back plays for Hill. Quits on a route then catches a punt inside the five yard line.

Lebron
    Participant

Then a 73 yard TD

Will Carroll
    @injuryexpert
    8m8 minutes ago
    This is already the third highest scoring game in NFL history. The next are 95 and 96. Well within reach.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

So that “Pats/Eagles Super Bowl had the most offense of any NFL game in history” factoid has been obliterated several times now, right?

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Obviously an exciting game, but can Tessitore die already?

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 152 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar