Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 11/26/2018 Daily Thread

This topic contains 23 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  chicowalker 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

328 Chauncey St
    Participant

Nice to turn on The Twitter and see Bedard getting his ass handed to him on LoyKKKo-Gate. Puts a spring in my step to start the week. Love seeing him blame a “bunch of trolls” for his problems, then get attacked for expecting these same trolls to do his due diligence on prospective employees. Can’t make this stuff up!

Perhaps more importantly, this is my first attempt to start a daily thread after maybe 15 years of enjoying the ride with you beautiful bastards! Sad but true. And odd.

Participant

Pro tip Peter, nowhere on the planet should Troy Vincent be considered a top executive.

“The quote angered players and even one top league executive, Troy Vincent”

I’m willing to look past the “inmates” quote, not because i forgive and forget – but because Bob played grabass with me.

“I knew McNair—though not well—as a thoughtful and caring man about his team and the league. It was easy to talk to him for 20, 30 minutes at a time; he never seemed in any hurry and was as gentlemanly as any league owner I met.”

The torch has been passed to a new generation of ThanksDads and folks who should always be like THE SAINTED ROONEY family.

“I think the league will miss him, a lot. Pittsburgh owner Dan Rooney, who died in April 2017, was the league’s compass. But McNair, who’d been on the scene only 19 years since being awarded the Texans franchise in 1999, was part of a cadre of owners, led by Rooney, who were exceedingly conscientious about the game. That group of owners was league-first, more concerned with the NFL’s long-term future than short-term money ventures. Now it’ll be up to people like his son and presumed team heir, Cal McNair, to carry on the kind of tradition Art Rooney II is trying to carry on after the loss of his father. It’s a heavy burden with all the winds buffeting the NFL.”

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Much of the “heavy burden” and the “winds buffeting the NFL” are the fault of these dummies and the ginger bozo they put in charge.

Lebron
    Participant

Yeah, all of these billionaire owners are conscientious about the game first and foremost.  Not worried about money.

He was an owner, his kid will take over.  Like what’s happened a hundred times before.

Lebron
    Participant

Wonder why Pete would write so fawningly over McNair

I remember him asking me about the old Giants’ teams I’d covered, and what made Bill Parcells successful.

I’m sure there was restaurant talk and movie tips involved.

Lebron
    Participant

Pete thinks all eyes will be on the Browns/Bengals rematch in 4 weeks and all eyes will be on Hue Jackson.  Yeah, I’ll be watching with bated breath.  Can’t wait.

RedSeat
    Participant

Since someone decided to trot out the old “Brady feasts on weak AFC East” trope:

Brady vs. AFC East: 0.792 winning percentage (12.67 wins per 16)

Brady vs rest of NFL: 0.755 winning percentage (12.08 wins per 16)

0.59 extra wins per year.

As a rule, I hate whatabout-ism, but for the sake of comparison:

Manning vs. AFC South*: 0.730 winning percentage (11.68 wins per 16)

Manning vs. rest of NFL: 0.665 winning percentage (10.64 wins per 16)

1.04 extra wins per year.

*Includes time with Denver

Lebron
    Participant

Paid $2.10 that Bert loved Baker Mayfield’s post game, loves that hardo shit.  So tough.

Coma
    Participant

Nice to turn on The Twitter and see Bedard getting his ass handed to him on LoyKKKo-Gate. Puts a spring in my step to start the week. Love seeing him blame a “bunch of trolls” for his problems, then get attacked for expecting these same trolls to do his due diligence on prospective employees. Can’t make this stuff up!

Perhaps more importantly, this is my first attempt to start a daily thread after maybe 15 years of enjoying the ride with you beautiful bastards! Sad but true. And odd.

Bedard’s handling of the Loyko situation is fascinating. He works in an industry where there are continual examples of “Coach/player/GM/owner/AD/college president could have handled that better” yet Bedard shows he has learned nothing from them. As others have pointed out, he could closed the door on this a month ago, saying that he was unaware of Loyko’s past tweets, he’s decided to part ways with Loyko and he’ll try to do better in the future vetting employees. Instead, he’s taken a contradictory approach, saying he will investigate and won’t be rushed into any decision while also severing ties with Loyko and erasing all his articles from the BSJ site.

From his tweets, it appears that the key to the almost-an-investigation is contacting Twitter to see if Loyko’s tweets were real. It would be impossible for them to be the result of a hack or photoshopped, but Craig wants verification that the messages were genuine. The impasse is, Twitter has not responded to his inquiries. I’ve got believe that, somewhere at Twitter HQ, someone received Bedard’s email and thought “We’re dealing with bots, stalkers, and hate groups, plus all the day to day stuff and this guy wants to know if some 6 year tweet is real? Yeah, I’ll get right on that, buddy.”

It’s also kind of amusing that anonymous sources are commonplace in Bedard’s world, but he considers every anonymous/non-blue check mark twitter account to be fake or to have some agenda against him. I can understand skepticism if Craig receives an anonymous tip over the phone or via email. Unless you’re Tomase, you’d want to verify a story before running with it. There’s a difference, though, between someone @-ing Bedard on twitter and saying Loyko tweeted out racist and homophobic comments in the past versus providing links to the tweets containing that language. I wonder if Bedard ever reached out to the person who discovered those tweets? Or did he see it wasn’t a verified account and dismissed the source?

This won’t be the end of Bedard, but it has been nice watching him flail away at this issue.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

He works in an industry where there are continual examples of “Coach/player/GM/owner/AD/college president could have handled that better” yet Bedard shows he has learned nothing from them.

Of course not. Have you ever seen any evidence that members of the sports media believe that the rules they apply to owners, coaches and athletes should also apply to themselves? Never. Precisely the opposite.

Bedard has predictably behaved exactly as expected, considering his “profession.”

Participant

Bedard’s handling of the Loyko situation is fascinating. He works in an industry where there are continual examples of “Coach/player/GM/owner/AD/college president could have handled that better” yet Bedard shows he has learned nothing from them. As others have pointed out, he could closed the door on this a month ago, saying that he was unaware of Loyko’s past tweets, he’s decided to part ways with Loyko and he’ll try to do better in the future vetting employees. Instead, he’s taken a contradictory approach, saying he will investigate and won’t be rushed into any decision while also severing ties with Loyko and erasing all his articles from the BSJ site.

From his tweets, it appears that the key to the almost-an-investigation is contacting Twitter to see if Loyko’s tweets were real. It would be impossible for them to be the result of a hack or photoshopped, but Craig wants verification that the messages were genuine. The impasse is, Twitter has not responded to his inquiries. I’ve got believe that, somewhere at Twitter HQ, someone received Bedard’s email and thought “We’re dealing with bots, stalkers, and hate groups, plus all the day to day stuff and this guy wants to know if some 6 year tweet is real? Yeah, I’ll get right on that, buddy.”

It’s also kind of amusing that anonymous sources are commonplace in Bedard’s world, but he considers every anonymous/non-blue check mark twitter account to be fake or to have some agenda against him. I can understand skepticism if Craig receives an anonymous tip over the phone or via email. Unless you’re Tomase, you’d want to verify a story before running with it. There’s a difference, though, between someone @-ing Bedard on twitter and saying Loyko tweeted out racist and homophobic comments in the past versus providing links to the tweets containing that language. I wonder if Bedard ever reached out to the person who discovered those tweets? Or did he see it wasn’t a verified account and dismissed the source?

This won’t be the end of Bedard, but it has been nice watching him flail away at this issue.

Is Shirley Leung aware of what her former Globe co-worker is up to here?

Lebron
    Participant

It’s also kind of amusing that anonymous sources are commonplace in Bedard’s world, but he considers every anonymous/non-blue check mark twitter account to be fake or to have some agenda against him.

Beautiful.  Journos love to tell you all day long that anonymous sources are vital to their reporting and by god they’ll go to jail to protect them.  Someone brings to light some questionable thoughts expressed on twitter and it’s all hey now wait a second who are these people.

Feejis
    Participant

It really is amazing. Greg thinks he’s serving in some grand protector role where he needs to look out for poor Loyko.

He is a nobody part timer. Cut him loose. I’m sure Greg has sent a whole 2 emails to Twitter customer service and that’s about it. Way to put yourself out on a limb. He doesn’t understand how the medium works and thinks that hacking is an actual possible explanation? Really?

Cut the guy loose. There’s literally no downside to doing that except in Greg’s white knight mind. His tone deafness and incompetence here really is limitless.

Lebron
    Participant

Bedard is doing a cyber Monday 21 bucks for an annual subscription.  21 bucks.  The Change Bank model is more profitable.

Participant

“It wasn’t pretty, and it’s understandable to wonder why the Patriots aren’t scoring more when the league is trending toward Arena League statistics.”   But Waxpack, the Steelers were on the road and only scored 17 – and look at all of the WEAPONZ/Names I recognize they have.

Feejis
    Participant

Aren’t they a top 5 scoring team in the league?

Lebron
    Participant

It really is amazing. Greg thinks he’s serving in some grand protector role where he needs to look out for poor Loyko.

He is a nobody part timer. Cut him loose. I’m sure Greg has sent a whole 2 emails to Twitter customer service and that’s about it. Way to put yourself out on a limb. He doesn’t understand how the medium works and thinks that hacking is an actual possible explanation? Really?

Cut the guy loose. There’s literally no downside to doing that except in Greg’s white knight mind. His tone deafness and incompetence here really is limitless.

Same guys who wanted Gordon cut over reports of being late a month ago.  CUT HIM ALREADY!  Oh wait one of my guys has horrifying tweets, let’s just all take a collective breath here, amirite?

Feejis
    Participant

Bedard is doing a cyber Monday 21 bucks for an annual subscription. 21 bucks. The Change Bank model is more profitable.

Would love to see the daily counter comparison after today.

jforb
    Participant

Bedard is doing a cyber Monday 21 bucks for an annual subscription. 21 bucks. The Change Bank model is more profitable.

Would love to see the daily counter comparison after today.

It’ll be there at 11. Noting 105 lifetime here since that doesn’t get tracked.

Coma
    Participant

It’s also kind of amusing that anonymous sources are commonplace in Bedard’s world, but he considers every anonymous/non-blue check mark twitter account to be fake or to have some agenda against him.

Beautiful. Journos love to tell you all day long that anonymous sources are vital to their reporting and by god they’ll go to jail to protect them. Someone brings to light some questionable thoughts expressed on twitter and it’s all hey now wait a second who are these people.

When anonymous twitter users tell Bedard they love his site and that he’s doing a great job, he takes it seriously and thanks them for their feedback. If they say something negative, he dismisses them because they’re just some anonymous account. He fails to recognize that he’s dealing with the same group of people in both situations.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Another disappointing win by the Pats yesterday. On top of the Celtics at 10-10 who need to go 50-12 in order to be in the mix according to the experts.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Maybe the people who tweet “You’re better than this, Peter King.” should realize that he’s not.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Yeah, all of these billionaire owners are conscientious about the game first and foremost. Not worried about money.

He was an owner, his kid will take over. Like what’s happened a hundred times before.

Rooney … Davis … Irsay … McNair … Kraft?!?

Suck Trek: The Next Generation

chicowalker
    Participant

Going back and forth, the “who’s the worse pbp guy” completion between Tess and drapes  :puke:  is like Ali Frazier 3  :ozzy:

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar