Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 11/27/2018 Daily Thread

This topic contains 23 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Feejis 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

jforb
    Participant

Bad news, +104. Of course at his discounted rate, that’s a whole $2200 give or take.

Participant

Haven’t heard much from noted capologist Dion Lewis the past couple of weeks.

Coma
    Participant

A subscriber on twitter responded to Craig’s tweet about the discounted subscription rate by saying “Then I’m a sucker for paying full price and helping you get started?” (link) Bedard told him BSJ could adjust his account, if he wanted. How’s that going to work if every current annual subscriber starts demanding a refund and a discounted rate?

jforb
    Participant

A subscriber on twitter responded to Craig’s tweet about the discounted subscription rate by saying “Then I’m a sucker for paying full price and helping you get started?” (link) Bedard told him BSJ could adjust his account, if he wanted. How’s that going to work if every current annual subscriber starts demanding a refund and a discounted rate?

Can someone put his head on the Kramer “It’s almost as if you have no business training at all.” pic?

chicowalker
    Participant

Are there ads on BSJ? they have to have burned through the initial subscription money at this point.  He should try and partner with one of those “see 50 movies a month” companies.

jforb
    Participant

No hot take here

Gee willikers, look what happens when Brad Stevens finally starts Marcus Smart and keeps his Butler binky on the bench

RedSeat
    Participant

We can adjust your account if you want. jforb on it already, but this is staggeringly incompetent.

1. He offers the refund – opens the door for financial and logistical nightmare.
    2. Including “if you want” accomplishes what, Greg? Makes the customer ask again? Makes the customer feel bad about asking?
    3. He then adds “You know the deal. We’re not the first business to have a sale at some point.” Doubling down on making the customer feel bad for paying extra.

If you don’t want to give the refunds, I get it. Just try not to be a dick about it. “Sorry you missed out on the sale this time. We appreciate your support, but the offer is for new subscribers only. Be on the lookout for more deals in the coming months.” Then send the guy a DM with a special offer on a lifetime sub.

Or give him a heads up when you’re forced to have a yard sale to meet payroll.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Just try not to be a dick about it.

Sorry, it’s congenital.

Suzy
    Participant

We can adjust your account if you want. jforb on it already, but this is staggeringly incompetent.

1. He offers the refund – opens the door for financial and logistical nightmare.
    2. Including “if you want” accomplishes what, Greg? Makes the customer ask again? Makes the customer feel bad about asking?
    3. He then adds “You know the deal. We’re not the first business to have a sale at some point.” Doubling down on making the customer feel bad for paying extra.

If you don’t want to give the refunds, I get it. Just try not to be a dick about it. “Sorry you missed out on the sale this time. We appreciate your support, but the offer is for new subscribers only. Be on the lookout for more deals in the coming months.” Then send the guy a DM with a special offer on a lifetime sub.

He’s incompetent on every level–business, sports knowledge, customer satisfaction, interacting smoothly with critics/putting out fires. He’s not good or skilled at literally anything.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

We can adjust your account if you want. jforb on it already, but this is staggeringly incompetent.

That’s sound business advice, Red Seat. Too bad it is unverifiable coming from an anonymous Internet troll.

Participant

He’s incompetent on every level–business, sports knowledge, customer satisfaction, interacting smoothly with critics/putting out fires. He’s not good or skilled at literally anything.

But he watches ALOT of “tape”.

chicowalker
    Participant

What kind of tape, though?

RedSeat
    Participant

Who would you rather hire for a customer-facing position: Greg Bedard or Joe Gill? I think I’d go with Gill. Yes, he’s aggressively stupid, but I feel like he would at least enthusiastically produce for me. Results would be mediocre on a good day, but at least it would be something.

chicowalker
    Participant

Agreed.  Gill at least seems eager to please.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Fun Fact: The three teams who have beaten the Pats this year are a combined 4-15 afterward.

Participant

Area man inconvenienced during holiday travel.

Nov 24

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Chico, how is sports gambling going in RI? Anything unusual or different about it? I cannot find details.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Lebron
    Participant

I don’t fly Delta but I’m guessing “Comfort Plus” and “Refundable” are factors in the cost.

jforb
    Participant

As is one way and last minute.

Lebron
    Participant

Was on the road and caught Pete’s weekly segment with Russo.  Jesus, starts off railing about how they have to stop things like Hue Jackson going to the Bengals.  It’s their arch rival for God’s sake, during the season, you can’t allow that!  Of course the guy has proven to be more or less incompetent and any sap who wants him can have him, but putting that aside, he got fired and accepted a lesser role with a different team.  So the guy isn’t supposed to work if he gets an opportunity to work?  Nope, he should sit at home apparently.  Or he can take a job with a team Pete doesn’t think is a ‘rival.’  Not sure how that gets evaluated.  Of course Pete had no problems leaving SI and taking his column with him to NBC, a rival platform.  And post it on Monday morning, like his old column which still exists at SI.  Nothing wrong with that apparently.  Was also enraged over Len Fournette’s behavior.  He was fine with Bake Mayfield shooting his mouth off.  Jalen Ramsey needs to zip it.  Dogs across America were howling simultaneously.

Coma
    Participant

Who would you rather hire for a customer-facing position: Greg Bedard or Joe Gill? I think I’d go with Gill. Yes, he’s aggressively stupid, but I feel like he would at least enthusiastically produce for me. Results would be mediocre on a good day, but at least it would be something.

You’re saying Bedard is not Valuencer material?

It’s clear that Almost-A-Coach never gave much thought to the customer service aspect of the business. I’m sure there are examples of him doing something right out there, but, a year and a half in, there are still examples of him being tone deaf. Redseat outlined some great options, but Bedard responded to the guy in less than 10 minutes, so it’s doubtful he gave the matter much thought.

Coma
    Participant

With Drew Brees having a great season at 39, are New Orleans Felger and Mazz doing the “steroid cough” when they discuss his performance? Is the NO media looking into who his personal trainer is, any issues he may have had in the past, and if the team has any problems with the guy?

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Dear Mr. “Coma,”
    As legal counsel for Joseph Gill, of Groton, Massachusetts, I must advise you that the word Valuencer® you use in the post cited above is a registered trademark of Papa Bruin Enterprises, Ltd.®  Any further use of the word Valuencer® must include the registered trademark mark (as it were); and any violation will result in litigation in Superior District Small Claims Court. Thank you.

(With apologies to Callahardfoul, Feejis, Patrick Pass — if he still lurks here, ever — and any other Esquires in our midst.)

Feejis
    Participant

It’s clear that Almost-A-Coach never gave much thought to the customer service aspect of the business. I’m sure there are examples of him doing something right out there, but, a year and a half in, there are still examples of him being tone deaf. Redseat outlined some great options, but Bedard responded to the guy in less than 10 minutes, so it’s doubtful he gave the matter much thought.

He has never been in a position to have to care about his customers before. When he was with the various papers or SI, subscribers were immaterial. There was no ability to distinguish between a paying reader or someone else and he is very much of the school that he is the voice of the fan.

Now, he’s forced to sing for his supper and he has no idea how to handle it. He really wants to treat everyone with the disdain he truly has for them, but part of him knows he can’t do that and survive.

Its fun to watch. He’ll be crawling back to another more established outfit soon enough. Bleacher report, Athletic, whoever, and he’ll blame the handful of folks on Twitter for having it out for him and sabotaging his efforts.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar