Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 11/3/18 – 11/4/18 Weekend Thread

This topic contains 52 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Yahtzee 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author

Claude45
    Participant

Why do I have a feeling that all this Gronk is washed up talk is going to lead to a big night for him tomorrow.

I know it’s tough to go against Almost A Coach’s 8 hours of video review that says teams aren’t scared of Gronk anymore but I’m brave enough to do it.

6 for 120 and 2 TDs.

Coma
    Participant

I’d like to add a third day of reflections on Dr. Z:

I was thinking about his writing and only one column stood out in my memory. That was his annual grading of the NFL announcing teams. I think he was as harsh as he could have been, but he would tell you the flaws in each announcer pairing and why, for example, Greg Gumbel and Rich Gannon were the worst.

Maybe the reason those columns stick in my memory is that I don’t think you would see them come from an outlet like SI today. Part of that is I don’t believe the league and the networks would want their announcers bashed by a non-blog site. Another part is that I think Zimmerman had been around long enough that even the people he criticized could understand or accept it coming from him. That wouldn’t be the case if Andy Benoit or Breer wrote the same column.

The other things I remember from the Dr. Z columns were mentions of his wife, wine and charting NFL games. In a Deadspin article on his passing, one of the themes in the comments was that his columns used to be pure football topics, but then he added more about his personal life. Everyone agreed that this became much worse and a much bigger part of the column when Peter King started doing it.

One benefit of that column is that it unearthed another example of PK’s awfulness, as provided by one of the commenters (link.) This guy is a Patriots hater and deflategate truther, but he was on target here. The gist is that, in 2009, PK held a QB roundtable with Romo, Roethlisberger, Carson Palmer and others. After the event, King’s comments were all positive. After the Milledgeville incident in 2010, King reveals that Roethlisberger was a dick leading up to and at the meeting. Or maybe Ben was just treating King and his roundtable the way they deserve to be treated. Either way, if Roethlisberger didn’t assault that woman, we never would have heard the truth about the 2009 meeting from King. He either would have never mentioned it or saved it during some other negative story about Roethlisberger, like a run-in with a coach or a contract dispute.

Gimp
    Participant

MLB Network is having a Red Sox Playoff Games marathon this weekend.  Started with game 1 of the ALDS at 11:30, continues through tomorrow.

jforb
    Participant

A five point win at home over Nebraska is gonna get Brohio St right back into the playoff picture.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I’m reading a book about the rise of Putin.

Title of the current chapter is “The Orange Menace.”

There’s a quote from someone named Horvath / practically Horvatis.

The Board has reach.

328 Chauncey St
    Participant

I’d like to add a third day of reflections on Dr. Z:

I was thinking about his writing and only one column stood out in my memory. That was his annual grading of the NFL announcing teams. I think he was as harsh as he could have been, but he would tell you the flaws in each announcer pairing and why, for example, Greg Gumbel and Rich Gannon were the worst.

Maybe the reason those columns stick in my memory is that I don’t think you would see them come from an outlet like SI today. Part of that is I don’t believe the league and the networks would want their announcers bashed by a non-blog site. Another part is that I think Zimmerman had been around long enough that even the people he criticized could understand or accept it coming from him. That wouldn’t be the case if Andy Benoit or Breer wrote the same column.

The other things I remember from the Dr. Z columns were mentions of his wife, wine and charting NFL games. In a Deadspin article on his passing, one of the themes in the comments was that his columns used to be pure football topics, but then he added more about his personal life. Everyone agreed that this became much worse and a much bigger part of the column when Peter King started doing it.

One benefit of that column is that it unearthed another example of PK’s awfulness, as provided by one of the commenters (link.) This guy is a Patriots hater and deflategate truther, but he was on target here. The gist is that, in 2009, PK held a QB roundtable with Romo, Roethlisberger, Carson Palmer and others. After the event, King’s comments were all positive. After the Milledgeville incident in 2010, King reveals that Roethlisberger was a dick leading up to and at the meeting. Or maybe Ben was just treating King and his roundtable the way they deserve to be treated. Either way, if Roethlisberger didn’t assault that woman, we never would have heard the truth about the 2009 meeting from King. He either would have never mentioned it or saved it during some other negative story about Roethlisberger, like a run-in with a coach or a contract dispute.

Someone called The Sports Pope yesterday and asked him if he knew Dr Z. Francesa prattled on for 10 minutes about knowing him VERY well..he repeated it several times, and regaled the listeners with his Dr Z stories. The caller asked him if he had any comments about his death. Francesa: “He’s dead? When”. What a windbag  :lol:   :lol:

Gimp
    Participant

Night of tough beats last night.  2 home town teams on the road, and the B’s and C’s lose by a combined total of 2 points.

Gimp
    Participant

At the risk of stating the obvious, this manufactured WHO’S BETTER-BRADY VS. RODGERS narrative that is polluting my TV is both completely contrived and utter nonsense.

Coma
    Participant

At the risk of stating the obvious, this manufactured WHO’S BETTER-BRADY VS. RODGERS narrative that is polluting my TV is both completely contrived and utter nonsense.

Regardless of the outcome tonight, everyone at the stadium will be able to say they basked in the gentle decency of Aaron Rodgers.

Coma
    Participant

Someone called The Sports Pope yesterday and asked him if he knew Dr Z. Francesa prattled on for 10 minutes about knowing him VERY well..he repeated it several times, and regaled the listeners with his Dr Z stories. The caller asked him if he had any comments about his death. Francesa: “He’s dead? When”. What a windbag 😆 😆

Here’s a link to that call:

https://twitter.com/BackAftaThis/status/1058518808628023296

This could just be me, but I listened to WFAN regularly in the early 90s and I have no recollection of hearing Dr. Z on with Francesa and Russo. Maybe they only talked during Mike’s Sunday morning football show, which I rarely heard.

The only time I remember hearing Zimmerman on the radio was when he appeared on ESPN radio with the Kuselias brothers in 2003 or 2004. It was a very awkward interview as Dr. Z only responded with one or two word answers and showed no interest in being there. For example, they asked him where he thought a USC wide receiver would go in the draft and how he would do in the NFL. Z’s response was “I don’t know. I haven’t watched him.” I think the hosts realized the interview was going nowhere and bailed pretty quickly. Things might have been different when Zimmerman was talking with his very, very close friend Mike Francesa.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Coma.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Absolutely no surprising or interesting developments in the early games so far.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

It’s astonishing how the Ravens offense appears to be built upon getting big Pass interference calls at key moments.  :blink:

BrianInLA
    Participant

Poor Ben.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Dobbs to Ju-Ju has a nice ring to it

Big Fat O
    Participant

Guess the Ravens are not Team X.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Saints-Rams has lived up to the hype.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Was Cooks not willing to go over the middle for the Pats or did the Pats not ask him to do that?

Lefty

I hope the 72 Dolphins choke on their champagne

jforb
    Participant

I hope the 72 Dolphins choke on their champagne

(Some great pics of seniors chugging booze comes up with that search)

jforb
    Participant

Someone called The Sports Pope yesterday and asked him if he knew Dr Z. Francesa prattled on for 10 minutes about knowing him VERY well..he repeated it several times, and regaled the listeners with his Dr Z stories. The caller asked him if he had any comments about his death. Francesa: “He’s dead? When”. What a windbag 😆 😆

Here’s a link to that call:

https://twitter.com/BackAftaThis/status/1058518808628023296

Also from that feed

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Impressive start. At this rate White will get 70 touches  :lol:

chicowalker
    Participant

How did Marino and elway only play each other twice? Same draft class, same conference for 15 years. Late 90s fatty must have been beside himself

Yahtzee
    Participant

How did Marino and elway only play each other twice? Same draft class, same conference for 15 years. Late 90s fatty must have been beside himself

Odd and sad

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

What was the scheduling formula back in those days? I don’t remember what it was before the mathematically perfect one we have now.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Patterson seems to be loving the switch to RB now. Seems to be a lot less thinking and a lot more using his physicality.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

There is something very un-running back like when Patterson runs. It must be because he’s so tall. It just looks odd.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

There is something very un-running back like when Patterson runs. It must be because he’s so tall. It just looks odd.

He just makes himself a missile firing straight downfield.

Lefty

Patterson at RB makes me very nervous about ball security

Coma
    Participant

Patterson seems to be loving the switch to RB now. Seems to be a lot less thinking and a lot more using his physicality.

When Patterson was in, maybe, his third year in Minnesota, one his teammates said something to the effect of, “When I’m old, I’m going to tell my grandkids I played with Cordarelle Patterson” because he was such a terrific athlete. My impression of him at the time was that he was a great kick returner, but not effective enough as a wide receiver. A disappointment, given his draft status. Being able to watch him every week now, I can see what his Vikings teammate was saying. The guy’s a monster.

Feejis
    Participant

He just makes himself a missile firing straight downfield.

He’s tall and he runs upright. So it makes him look even taller.

I saw him at Dunkin’ Donuts this morning with another guy I couldn’t identify. He looks bigger than 6’2 but I’m a shrimp so who knows?

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

We haven’t seen the thing where Patterson starts in the backfield and then goes into motion into the WR position, have we? Usually an LB would follow an RB if it’s man, but even if Patterson can’t beat CBs consistently, he’d probably fare better against LBs.

Lefty

Josh may have just lost the Cleveland job with those play calls.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Well, that blew.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Good defense. Didn’t expect three and out there.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I hate Chhhhhris Collinsworth.

Feejis
    Participant

Jesus they’re down 3 defensive backs and now the Pats can’t complete a pass.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Ball!!!

The “Packers at Patriots” live feed on Twitter is chock full of Chicken Little Pats fans and pussy Packer fans. Everything’s doom and gloom from the Chicken Littles (“There’s the Pats defense we’ve come to hate”), and everything’s unfair for the pussy Pack fans (“glad to see how the refs are giving the Patriots some help”).

Feejis
    Participant

The “Packers at Patriots” live feed on Twitter is chock full of Chicken Little Pats fans and pussy Packer fans. Everything’s doom and gloom from the Chicken Littles (“There’s the Pats defense we’ve come to hate”), and everything’s unfair for the pussy Pack fans (“glad to see how the refs are giving the Patriots some help”).

The call on hitting the punter was crummy but didn’t matter. The ejection was also terrible and may be a factor.

But not a terrible game by the refs all things considered.

jforb
    Participant

On the punter, the only reason he didn’t hit the plant leg was because he hit the rest of the body first.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Time for Clock Killin’ Cordarelle Patterson.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Well, that was certainly satisfying.

Suzy
    Participant

Well, that was certainly satisfying.

Sure was.

Collinsworth was such a dink throughout with his little shots.

And Boston.com’s passive-aggressive headline makes it sound like a battle to the end:

Tom Brady and the Patriots outlast Aaron Rodgers and the Packers, 31-17

Kingasaurus
    Participant
    Tom Brady and the Patriots outlast Aaron Rodgers and the Packers, 31-17

Oh, you mean they weren’t running away with it at halftime? Do tell.

Also, you can tell Gilmore is a stud who is worth the money, because none of the usual assholes are uttering a single peep about him.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I like that Eli Manning was left off the list of “Likely Hall of Fame QBs” graphic they had.

Lebron
    Participant

So sick of Aaron Rodgers.  One drive in the second half.  Matches his one tital.  Eight years ago.  Also loved how Al and Cris cried over every Packer injury, like it’s some sort of injustice.

Coma
    Participant

Adrian Clayborn had a nice game tonight, I thought. Or, at least, he’s making more of an impact now than he did in the first few games.

On the flip side, I didn’t notice Clay Matthews outside of Barner knocking him down once when he blitzed.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Adrian Clayborn had a nice game tonight, I thought. Or, at least, he’s making more of an impact now than he did in the first few games.

On the flip side, I didn’t notice Clay Matthews outside of Barner knocking him down once when he blitzed.

He was in at least 4 commercials  :lol:

Claude45
    Participant

Why do I have a feeling that all this Gronk is washed up talk is going to lead to a big night for him tomorrow.

I know it’s tough to go against Almost A Coach’s 8 hours of video review that says teams aren’t scared of Gronk anymore but I’m brave enough to do it.

6 for 120 and 2 TDs.

I had a typo, I meant Gordon.

Humphrey
    Participant

On the punter, the only reason he didn’t hit the plant leg was because he hit the rest of the body first.

Yeah, in terms of forceful impact and (lack of) embellishment, I can’t see how some rule freak can say that’s NOT roughing the kicker.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar