Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 11/7/18 Daily Thread

This topic contains 48 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Coma 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • Author

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

No Bruins. No Celtics. No NFL Games tonight. But here’s a thread to talk about it.

Nick B
    Participant

No Bruins. No Celtics. No NFL Games tonight. But here’s a thread to talk about it.

No Fear,

both shit stations will be talking about Butler and the Super Bowl.  I’m not sure they realize the game was 9 Months ago.

Coma
    Participant

I’m sure this has been covered before, but something to dislike about Peter King’s writing is that he always goes with the most trite or cliched phrase or reference. I mention this because the subtitle he chose for his section on Dr. Z this week was “Requiem for a Heavyweight.” It’s not terrible or inappropriate, but it lacks imagination. Any song lyric, book or movie title/quote that PK uses is always the most obvious choice. There’s never anything clever or unexpected, anything that would make you say “I never would have thought of that.”

On a different topic, why is it that fans like Jerry Thornton are obnoxious in their Patriots fandom and level of confidence in the team Monday through Saturday, but are in full panic mode on Sundays? That should be when you feel the best about the team, when they are actually on the field, proving how good they are. Or, at least, not assume that defeat is unavoidable because the Patriots punted on their first drive or the other team moved the ball.

Hacksaw
    Participant

How about Boston racism and its sports teams? Or is that scheduled to be talked about between The Super Bowl and Red Sox Opening Day?

Yahtzee
    Participant

I’m sure this has been covered before, but something to dislike about Peter King’s writing is that he always goes with the most trite or cliched phrase or reference. I mention this because the subtitle he chose for his section on Dr. Z this week was “Requiem for a Heavyweight.” It’s not terrible or inappropriate, but it lacks imagination. Any song lyric, book or movie title/quote that PK uses is always the most obvious choice. There’s never anything clever or unexpected, anything that would make you say “I never would have thought of that.”

That’s why Dale and he get along so well. The Fabulous Banal Boys.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by  Yahtzee.

Tale of two tweets.

Tennis Ball Head:

TEC:

No idea if they were referencing the same play, but it sounds similar: Pats D starts in one look, then backs off.

TBH assumes skullduggery. TEC gets the story.

Big Fat O
    Participant

B.B. knows 99% of the others plays and prepares the team. For whatever reason this concept is hard for the mental midgets in the media to grasp.

You can tell it’s a slow time of year when Felger and Coach Betard are saying Brady lost a step.

Nick B
    Participant

How about Boston racism and its sports teams? Or is that scheduled to be talked about between The Super Bowl and Red Sox Opening Day?

Is Jimmy Myers coming on to talk about it?

Lebron
    Participant

Perfect time for hot stove talk.  What about the Red Sox bullpen?  I’m concerned.

jforb
    Participant

Perfect time for hot stove talk. What about the Red Sox bullpen? I’m concerned.

There were idiots in one of Finn’s posts the other day arguing that Sale should be moved to closer.

Lebron
    Participant

Speaking of digging for things to talk about

STEPHEN A., JALEN DEBATE ZION STARTING FOR FAB FIVE

Yes, let’s create a ‘debate’ about someone playing for a team that played like 7 years before he was born.  Next up, could Nathan Eovaldi even make the Big Red Machine roster?

Suzy
    Participant

FATTY CAP LOCK AND IT STAYS is talentless *and* lazy–a deadly combination. He’s utterly incompetent in every conceivable direction.

chicowalker
    Participant

considering that 2/5 of the Fab Five were slightly better than average college players that we never would have heard of had they been on any other team, yes, he could have started for the Fab Five

chicowalker
    Participant

I missed “Jalen” there.  Is he arguing that Jackson or King (or, let’s be honest, Howard) are better than Williamson? :lol:

Lebron
    Participant

I missed “Jalen” there. Is he arguing that Jackson or King (or, let’s be honest, Howard) are better than Williamson? 😆

No idea, you can’t pay me to listen to it or pay attention.  I just saw the link.

Coma
    Participant

PFT has an article up about how the Patriots and Steelers offered Bruce Irvin more money, but he opted to play in Atlanta.

If that’s accurate, it really hurts Almost-A-Coach’s claim that the Patriots may not be able to make salary cap payroll or whatever.

It’s also guaranteed that, when 2019 free agency starts, this will be forgotten and we’ll here how the team is cheap and they never try to sign any “name” free agents.

chicowalker
    Participant

I missed “Jalen” there. Is he arguing that Jackson or King (or, let’s be honest, Howard) are better than Williamson? 😆

No idea, you can’t pay me to listen to it or pay attention. I just saw the link.

:lol:   fair enough, and I’m with you. There might have been some comedy in SAS claiming to know more about a team Jalen was on (kind of like him vs Durant a couple of years ago) but the collateral damage to your ears/mind/soul definitely not worth it

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by  chicowalker.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

On a different topic, why is it that fans like Jerry Thornton are obnoxious in their Patriots fandom and level of confidence in the team Monday through Saturday, but are in full panic mode on Sundays? That should be when you feel the best about the team, when they are actually on the field, proving how good they are. Or, at least, not assume that defeat is unavoidable because the Patriots punted on their first drive or the other team moved the ball.

The scary part is that I believe PK is blissfully unaware of how trite and uninvolving his writing actually is. It’s an offense that a lot of writers make when they consciously or unconsciously have as their subject something they believe is inherently very interesting to their audience. Football, for example. EVERYONE thirsts for football, and if a writer promises “insider” information than the theory is that people are even more eager to read their pieces.

Problem with that, though, is it’s built on unsupportable assumptions. Today, a fan devoted enough to get excited over “insider” info has plenty of sources (Twitter, team-focused sites, etc.) to get such information in near real-time. Why wait for MMQB when you can get the news on Thursday?

Moreover, PK and his ilk believe they’re important because they’re “adding value.” News Flash: They’re not. They’re filling space but don’t realize how irrelevant their opinions on their outdated “scoops” is. Prime example is Cafardo’s weekly digest of matching players and teams. Useless.

And it would not surprise me if King thought “Requiem for a Heavyweight” was not only an inspired choice for his subhead, but will go on interminably about the importance of Dr Z and THAT’S why he deserves that solemn accolade. If you don’t see that, you’re disrespecting the deceased.

So, if you want to know what the NFL office and/or the Mara clan thinks Pete is your guy. If you like information or enjoyable prose, not so much.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

“Topic for today: Racism against well-off white men.”    —  EEI

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

That’s why Dale and he get along so well. The Fabulous Banal Boys.

Poor Dale is always trying to suck up to King. “Wanna come over to my house? Ray Bourque might be there!”

Claude45
    Participant

Tale of two tweets.

Tennis Ball Head:

TEC:

No idea if they were referencing the same play, but it sounds similar: Pats D starts in one look, then backs off.

TBH assumes skullduggery. TEC gets the story.

The Volin tweet is infuriating. It’s vague enough that he can say it’s not trolling. His attempt at communicating what he means is typically horrible. He can’t write effectively. To top off the shit sandwich that is Volin attempting to write, he says they new they would throw “somehow”. Not a specific pass play but just passing.

Dickhead, first of all there’s only two options, run or pass, so with no prep work you’ve a shot at guessing correctly. Second, in todays NFL, with Rodgers at QB, I’m sure the Packers are closer to 60% passing. That’s before you even get into down and distance. Lastly, teams spend 100s of hours trying to figure out tendencies, so getting it right once in a game is hardly revolutionary or specific to the Pats.

As with every Volin tweet, it’s a poorly thought out and written mess, set up to troll with plausible deniability because he’s too dumb to troll effectively.

Dummy.

Claude45
    Participant

Perfect time for hot stove talk. What about the Red Sox bullpen? I’m concerned.

Did the Red Sox screw up by beating the Yankees last year? They should have let the Yankees win so they wouldn’t be active in this great free agent class. The Yankees will spend to win the next 5 world series. YOU won your little trophy! GREAT! Enjoy it because YOU are DONE!

jforb
    Participant

Odds that the play Volin was tweeting about was empty backfield?

Dr. Z’s death has gotten me thinking about how much his industry has changed since his heyday. When you add all the context, you better understand the light in which Z is viewed.

When Z was the football guy at SI, there was:

• No Internet – so no real-time game updates, stats, or immediately accessible game stories.
    • No Twitter, of course – so no following specific writers across multiple papers and outlets, and no knowing what was trending.
    • No NFL Ticket or Red Zone – so no visibility into what was going on in other games save for score updates, halftime and postgame shows. And if your team was blacked out, that might be the only way you find out about your own team’s game, other than radio.
    • No “insider” media personalities.  I think McDonough was the first. Instead, they had guys like Pete Axthelm and Jimmy the Greek on pregame shows. First TV exposure I had to Zimmerman was on an ESPN draft coverage. So this meant any inside info you heard on rival teams was probably coming from Will’s Sunday column.
    • No ability to read other newspapers, unless you had mail subscriptions (so you’d see the stories two days later). Game stories for the non-local teams would come in one or two paragraph in a “roundup” from the Associated Press, plus a box score.

This all means Z’s writeup in the SI you received on Thursday was still fresh, likely covered a game you may not have seen, and had quotes and insights you wouldn’t have witnessed.

It’s a huge advantage, in that he’s already got a captive audience on proprietary information alone. But it still required him to be a good writer, as he needed to retell a story in a way that informs the readers who hadn’t heard it while not boring the readers who had. It also meant he could better shape people’s memories of the games with his own bias. Did we not see the real Ken Stabler, for instance,  because our exposure to him came through Z’s prose?

By contrast, Fatty has to presume his readers already know the whole story going in, so his job is to either offer insights into the game (of which he has none) or offer exclusive quotes or insider info (for which he carries his source’s water to the ends of the earth).

After Spygate went down, the rumor was (later confirmed by Fatty himself) that they shut him out. He complained mightily to the league office but they – in possibly the only time I applaud a league office move – told him to suck it up, that his relationships were his alone to foster or burn, and that other than mandatory media requirements, there was nothing they could do.

So ultimately, Fatty has no value to us other than as an object of our ridicule. As it should be.

Humphrey
    Participant

The Fabulous Banal Boys! Save that one, Renee

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar