Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 11/11-11/12/2017 Veterans Day Weekend Thread

This topic contains 125 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  02062 1 year ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 126 total)
  • Author

Yahtzee
    Participant

Celtics keep rolling but they may need Bruce to lace them up to sub for the injured guys.

Thanks to Gerry Callahan for his service.

Humphrey
    Participant

I noticed PC played at Alumni Hall last night.     Brought back memories of Jimmy Walker and Mike Riordan with Chris Clark at the mike.

They did a nice rehab job on the place, by the way.   Used to look like an enlarged version of your basic high school gym from the 50s.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Larry calling out you’re right Mike for playing his usual role.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

In my Facebook feed I keep seeing ads for an Indie movie called “Lady Bird”. Every single time I momentarily think it’s Larry Bird posting obsessively about Greta Gerwig for some reason.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Is Nick on commission?

The Red Sox and agent Scott Boras could get some good face-to-face time this week in Orlando.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Watching Virginia Tech lose is happy happy times.

Humphrey
    Participant

Notre Dame suddenly looks like 2016 Notre Dame

Yahtzee
    Participant

Wild afternoon/evening in college football.

Coma
    Participant

I noticed PC played at Alumni Hall last night. Brought back memories of Jimmy Walker and Mike Riordan with Chris Clark at the mike. They did a nice rehab job on the place, by the way. Used to look like an enlarged version of your basic high school gym from the 50s.

I had forgotten that the PC game was moved because the RI Comic Con is in the Dunkin Donuts Center this weekend. The Con has/had a bunch of recognizable names this weekend, from Shatner, Sam Jones, Lou Ferrigno, Gil Gerard and the guy who played Twiki to people who have appeared in popular movies or TV shows recently, like Dave Bautista, Frodo, Sam, Gollum, Jesus from the Walking Dead and Bronn from GOT.

Humphrey
    Participant

Is Nick on commission?

The Red Sox and agent Scott Boras could get some good face-to-face time this week in Orlando.

In the spirit of the I’m-not-dead (although later he was) Pat Burns, Nick mentions the “late pitching coach Mike Rourke”.
    His name was Roarke and the online baseball encyclopedias all say he’s still alive.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Celtics keep rolling but they may need Bruce to lace them up to sub for the injured guys. Thanks to Gerry Callahan for his service.

Don’t forget Gen Dennis. He took a brandy Alexander to the chest when the hoi polli charged the clubhouse at the Battle of Granite Links.

Last words from General Dennis was “send then back to where they came from like the kitchen” before the hi ball glass hit him in the lombago.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Notre Dame suddenly looks like 2016 Notre Dame

I’m not up on my college football, but Notre Dame wasn’t supposed to be down 34-0 to Miami, right?

jforb
    Participant

Celtics keep rolling but they may need Bruce to lace them up to sub for the injured guys. Thanks to Gerry Callahan for his service.

Don’t forget Gen Dennis. He took a brandy Alexander to the chest when the hoi polli charged the clubhouse at the Battle of Granite Links.

Last words from General Dennis was “send then back to where they came from like the kitchen” before the hi ball glass hit him in the lombago.

He’s taken plenty of other shots to the chest too.

Lebron
    Participant

Georgia and TCU looked shitty too although all 3 lost on the road

Mike
    Participant

Per Twitter Peter King doesn’t watch a lot of College Football?
    Doesn’t he give draft grades?
    Fraud.

Paul Finebaum(sp?) on the couch. Worst sportscenter bit ever?

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Is Nick on commission?

In the spirit of the I’m-not-dead (although later he was) Pat Burns, Nick mentions the “late pitching coach Mike Rourke”. His name was Roarke and the online baseball encyclopedias all say he’s still alive.

And although Roarke worked with Joe Morgan in Pawtucket a dozen years earlier, he was Butch Hobson’s pitching coach in Boston in 1994. (Nick wrote/implied he worked for Walpole Joe in the majors.)

Nick also carries water for Worcester’s Own Rich Gedman for the vacant bullpen coach job, citing Geddy’s expertise as a batting coach (and ignoring the fact that the Red Sox hired two batting coaches this week, neither of the them named Gedman).  He’s so transparently desperate for a friendly, talkative (“Just don’t quote me, OK, buddy?”) and familiar face on the Red Sox staff.

BrianInLA
    Participant

I saw the Pats were favored by 7 at Denver today. I was curious when the last time they were favored by that much there. I cant find it anywhere so it probably never happened (though ITT would know). I did find this. Its the largest anyone has been favored there in 30 years which means the Pats pre-1987 were probably never a td favorite at Mile High. Pats are also 9-2 against the spread in their last 11 road games. However Simmons picked the Pats to cover and he’s running at about a 12% clip this season on his picks.

The 6-2 Patriots were likely to open as favorites on the road against the 3-5 Broncos, but it turns out that they’re favored more than any visiting team in Denver in three decades.

The latest betting lines at OddsShark reveal that the Patriots opened as big road favorites against the Broncos, with the point spread ranging from 7-9.5. The Pats just had their bye week, while the Broncos are coming off a brutal 51-23 loss to the Eagles in Philadelphia.

As for total points, the over/under is set at 46.5.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

My sentiments exactly.

How can Kraft supposedly be this genius at business, and not realize that “being a good partner” and “doing what’s best for the league” means having someone else in the top job?

Since when is not changing anything synonymous with good business practices when the league has had one PR problem after another? Sometimes keeping your mouth shut and going along to get along is bad for business.

Imagine how much the short-term PR embarrassment of having to replace Roger would be outweighed by the long-term benefit of having someone who’s actually good in that position?

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Time to just shut it down.

The last written counterproposal from Goodell, which was around the first of August, was seeking about $50 million per year, as well as the lifetime use of a private jet and lifetime health insurance for his family, according to a source familiar with the negotiations.

“Roger is defiant,” one NFL owner told ESPN this weekend. “He’s not going to resign; he’s not going to take a pay cut. He can stand to show some humility, but he won’t listen to staff.”

:weei:

BrianInLA
    Participant

Its almost like when you become a billionaire and own a football team you lose your ability to remember the decisions you made to get there. That’s always been the most baffling thing with Kraft. Is he really that insecure that he just wants status quo going forward forever?

Kingasaurus
    Participant

He can stand to show some humility, but he won’t listen to staff.

Sounds like a real competent, statesman-like leader to me. :dry:

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Its almost like when you become a billionaire and own a football team you lose your ability to remember the decisions you made to get there. That’s always been the most baffling thing with Kraft. Is he really that insecure that he just wants status quo going forward forever?

It as if not making waves is the most important thing when it comes to his spineless temperament.

Hey BOB, sometimes raising a stink is the better move.

Being a consensus-builder is an admirable quality, but so is realizing it’s not the smart thing to do 100% of the time.

BrianInLA
    Participant

My sentiments exactly. How can Kraft supposedly be this genius at business, and not realize that “being a good partner” and “doing what’s best for the league” means having someone else in the top job? Since when is not changing anything synonymous with good business practices when the league has had one PR problem after another? Sometimes keeping your mouth shut and going along to get along is bad for business. Imagine how much the short-term PR embarrassment of having to replace Roger would be outweighed by the long-term benefit of having someone who’s actually good in that position?

Short term I would think they could spin it as Goodell was the problem with all these issues and have him be the scapegoat on the way out the door. They have enough funds to hire a quality spin team I would think. Then again it wouldn’t take a whole lot because he actually IS the problem on a lot of these issues with the complete lack of consistency.

Then again the casual fan is, sadly, an idiot. Got into a very heated discussion on deflategate (THANKS ROGER) this week and I brought up the point about Bill Nye being 100% wrong in his understanding of how hot/cold air affects footballs. The folks I was arguing with called it “fake news” and that I shouldn’t believe everything I read on the internet. Furious, I pulled up the YouTube video of Bill Nye HIMSELF saying how the balls “felt the same” after exposing them to hot/cold air with zero scientific measurements taken and the 12 million comments afterwards from real science folks ripping him for it. I really do think if you told Joe Average that every one of these problems was Goodell they would happily believe it.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Time to just shut it down.

The last written counterproposal from Goodell, which was around the first of August, was seeking about $50 million per year, as well as the lifetime use of a private jet and lifetime health insurance for his family, according to a source familiar with the negotiations. … “Roger is defiant,” one NFL owner told ESPN this weekend. “He’s not going to resign; he’s not going to take a pay cut. He can stand to show some humility, but he won’t listen to staff.”

:weei:

He shouldn’t worry. If the NFL cans him our government will hire him 2 seconds later with those demands. Way to have a finger on the pulse there Rog. :dry:

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Then again the casual fan is, sadly, an idiot… Got into a very heated discussion on deflategate (THANKS ROGER) this week and I brought up the point about Bill Nye being 100% wrong in his understanding of how hot/cold air affects footballs. The folks I was arguing with called it “fake news” and that I shouldn’t believe everything I read on the internet. Furious, I pulled up the YouTube video of Bill Nye HIMSELF saying how the balls “felt the same” after exposing them to hot/cold air with zero scientific measurements taken and the 12 million comments afterwards from real science folks ripping him for it. I really do think if you told Joe Average that every one of these problems was Goodell they would happily believe it.

Some of that is stupidity, some of it is just motivated reasoning. Hate the Patriots, so anything published against their position must be valid.
    You’re right, though: If the owners as a group want to spin something and push it hard, it’ll be bought by the public and media fellow-travelers.

Humphrey
    Participant

Board favorite Butch Jones will not be down for breakfast (as Volunteers coach that is; he’s as alive as Mike Roarke seemingly is).

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Hey, Bill, Tom, et  al

Don’t bother practicing. Don’t anticipate  situations. According to the laziest man in show biz today, all the Patriots have to wait until the other team makes a mistake and it’s one in the “W” column. Despite his obvious padding (Bonaparte and Shi Tzu quotes — twice!), Shank gets right to the important stuff:

1.) Tomato Can reference (Don’t worry, Dan, it’ll catch on one day and you’ll have a “curse” meal ticket again!)

2.) Thesis: Pats win because their opponents mess up.

3.) Book that Football Writers Hall of Fame induction date.

That’s all there is to winning football, says the representative of the fan, is to lay back and watch the bodies of your enemies float down the river. Nary a word is said in regard to knowing what to do to capitalize on on unexpected mistake.

Thanks again, Globe.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Is there some rule that Fox can’t switch off these horrible inter-conference games? Giants last week; Buffalo this week.

jforb
    Participant

Colts suck so they’ll probably end up winning but that time out followed by a delay of game on a two point conversion was impressive for Pittsburgh.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Colts suck so they’ll probably end up winning but that time out followed by a delay of game on a two point conversion was impressive for Pittsburgh.

Is this the Steelers offense that’s supposed to make us quake in our boots?

Also, I’d just blitz Brissett every time.

If you collapse the pocket and leave him without a scrambling lane, he has zero downfield vision when he’s being blitzed. Somebody’s open out there on the blitz, but the kid just can’t find the guy and he just eats the ball and gets sacked.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Is this the Steelers offense that’s supposed to make us quake in our boots?

Also, I’d just blitz Brissett every time.

If you collapse the pocket and leave him without a scrambling lane, he has zero downfield vision when he’s being blitzed. Somebody’s open out there on the blitz, but the kid just can’t find the guy and he just eats the ball and gets sacked.

totally right

Humphrey
    Participant

And The Wreck of the Ryan Fitzgerald leads the Bucs to a win over the Jets :lol:

BrianInLA
    Participant

With all of the Team X’s looking like crap these past few weeks I fully expect the Rams to get blown out this afternoon.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Funny how they never call downfield picks against the Steelers.

BrianInLA
    Participant

LOLOL Chargers

BrianInLA
    Participant

I swear I was about to post that the Chargers will find a way to blow this just before Jax threw the pick. Of course I didn’t as I figured there is no way they fuck this up. Chargers fumble, run back for a TD. This is the 3rd or 4th game this year where they will lose in crushing fashion like this. The curse of moving to LA.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Wow. Overturned. Chargers will still fuck this up.

Edit. There are some dumb football players in this league. Lee does a taunting dance while in FG range because he thought he was drawing a flag. 15 yards back. Instead they have to throw. Int. If I had to root for any of these teams I’d either shoot myself or be out apple picking every week.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by  BrianInLA.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Edit. There are some dumb football players in this league. Lee does a taunting dance while in FG range because he thought he was drawing a flag. 15 yards back. Instead they have to throw. Int. If I had to root for any of these teams I’d either shoot myself or be out apple picking every week.

I thought the Charger who intercepted it should have gotten a taunting charge of his own.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I know no one else here watches The Good Place, but I’m always amused that the idiot character Jason has Blake Bortles as his idol.

It was only 3rd down when Bortles heaved that prayer directly to the Safety. If he could have gotten some yards they might have been able to try for the tying field goal.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I thought the Charger who intercepted it should have gotten a taunting charge of his own.

I wouldn’t have argued against it.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

20 seconds. In FG range to tie. No time outs.Bortles will take a sack here.

Yahtzee
    Participant

You were saying?

BrianInLA
    Participant

Stay classy San Diego LA

chicowalker
    Participant

Have under 41 in this abortion of a game. I fully expect San Diego to score a td. This game should have ended 10 different times

chicowalker
    Participant

:lol: Or I’m an idiot

Coma
    Participant

Wow. Overturned. Chargers will still fuck this up. Edit. There are some dumb football players in this league. Lee does a taunting dance while in FG range because he thought he was drawing a flag. 15 yards back. Instead they have to throw. Int.

If I had to root for any of these teams I’d either shoot myself or be out apple picking every week.

Even on the the interception that set up the game winning FG in overtime, the Jaguars did things that would make you pull your hair out as a fan. The interception was Bouye was a terrific play and he did a great job staying on his feet, but he extended the ball overhead to celebrate even though he was on his own 40 yard line and had only just started to return the INT. He got to the 2 yard line, but then they were pushed back because a different teammate got a 15 yard taunting penalty. To cap things off, the Jaguars announcer put the exclamation point on his call of the INT return by yelling “Oh Bouye!” instead of “Yeah Bouye!” Those clowns will never win anything until they clean stuff like that up.

Yahtzee
    Participant

😆 Or I’m an idiot

Maybe this time. :dry:

Coma
    Participant

Imagine how much the short-term PR embarrassment of having to replace Roger would be outweighed by the long-term benefit of having someone who’s actually good in that position?

To try and play devil’s advocate for a moment, maybe there are some things Goodell does well that we’re not privy to and the owners really appreciate. On the other hand, the league has been in court for about 5 years straight because of his various decisions. Wouldn’t it make sense to explore if there is someone who might be able to replicate the positive stuff without all the negatives, for less money?

chicowalker
    Participant

Is wyc wearing some sort of cobra Kai leather jacket?  :ohmy:

tatum is motherfucking nails

BrianInLA
    Participant

Have under 41 in this abortion of a game. I fully expect San Diego to score a td. This game should have ended 10 different times

Did you bet the Pats tonight? One of the few times this year I have.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar