Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 11/14/2017 Daily Thread special guest from Sunset Beach, HI

This topic contains 46 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Yahtzee 1 year ago.

Viewing 47 posts - 1 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author

Hacksaw
    Participant

Don Muraco “Jimmy Snuka! We are all done talking….start posting on the BSMW Daily Discussion thread!”

Lefty

heard on the radio today that the Giants are interested in trading for JBJ, but didn’t hear what they might be offering.

I like Bradley and enjoy watching him play the field, but I could see the Sox trading him, moving Benintendi to center and trying to bring in a bat for left field.

Yahtzee
    Participant

What an odd scheduled that, 9 (and soon 10) games in and the Patriots still have only played 1 division game. Seems to be working out well since I don’t think Buffalo or Miami are playing nearly as well now as they were weeks ago.

Vegas has Celtics by 7 tonight; is there a trap game discount baked into that? Doesn’t seem like it.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by  Yahtzee. Reason: Fixed an error

Kingasaurus
    Participant

What an odd scheduled that, 9 (and soon 10) games in and the Patriots still haven’t played a division game.

Played the Jets once already.

Yahtzee
    Participant

What an odd scheduled that, 9 (and soon 10) games in and the Patriots still haven’t played a division game.

Just noticed that typo and fixed it. Still odd. Maybe sad.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Just noticed that typo and fixed it. Still odd. Maybe sad.

It is an unusual remaining schedule.

All division games except this week and Pitt.

No division opponent scares me, home or away. Cutler is NOT beating the Patriots in either building. You can argue Buffalo on the road is maybe questionable, but unless the Pats turn the ball over that’s a W.

InThisTown
    Participant

What an odd scheduled that, 9 (and soon 10) games in and the Patriots still have only played 1 division game. Seems to be working out well since I don’t think Buffalo or Miami are playing nearly as well now as they were weeks ago.

Vegas has Celtics by 7 tonight; is there a trap game discount baked into that? Doesn’t seem like it.

Yeah well I’m not sure Vegas would ever take something that Dan Shaughnessy believes in into account when making a number.

chicowalker
    Participant

Isn’t Irving a game time decision? That has to be considered

InThisTown
    Participant

Isn’t Irving a game time decision? That has to be considered

That’s the Kyrie is playing number.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Did it feel like they played the Jets already though?

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Callahardfoul
    Participant

Kyrie is playing with a mask tonight in Brooklyn.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Yeah well I’m not sure Vegas would ever take something that Dan Shaughnessy believes in into account when making a number.

Did he say something about that?

InThisTown
    Participant

Did he say something about that?

Dan Shaughnessy believes in trap games.

Dan Shaughnessy would believe in Bigfoot if he could exploit it financially.

Rickkyboy
    Participant

Ball and his fellow UCLA shoplifters are released from China. I’m not sure how I feel about this one.

Lebron
    Participant

Not sure if this got covered in our weekly takedown of Pete’s shit column

and we’ll answer some of the vexing questions about the future of Roger Goodell.

Vexing?  I guess if your a Goodell lapdog or Goodell himself you find it vexing.  He’s such an asshole. You little pissants an your questions! Although truth be told it actually was vexing reading Pete’s ‘my little part in all of this’ and bunch of shit made up out of whole cloth.  That was fucking vexing.

Suzy
    Participant

Not sure if this got covered in our weekly takedown of Pete’s shit column

and we’ll answer some of the vexing questions about the future of Roger Goodell.

Vexing? I guess if your a Goodell lapdog or Goodell himself you find it vexing. He’s such an asshole. You little pissants an your questions! Although truth be told it actually was vexing reading Pete’s ‘my little part in all of this’ and bunch of shit made up out of whole cloth. That was fucking vexing.

Well said, Lebron. :wub:

Your :pk: hatred and scorn give me life.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

To the day I die I will never understand the leverage that Goodell has in this extension negotiation. I astounds me that he has any? It’s not like he’s fielding offers to jump ship and become MLB commissioner or something? What other job could he possibly get that would pay him a fraction of what he makes now? Between the falling ratings, the CTE issues and the non-stop legal battles vs. the leagues biggest stars how can the owners not at least perform some due diligence on other candidates?  Its abundantly clear that he will never quit so why not squeeze him a bit and save a few bucks with a low-ball offer.  All I can think of is that he must be a Waylon Smithers, type sycophant behind the scenes such that the most owners will put up with his occasional public displays of power in exchange for his near total acquiescence to their demands. They must have concluded that the only thing worse the Roger would be a replacement that would think for his or her self and not not willingly assume a 100% submissive attitude when told how to think.

Lebron
    Participant

He’s a fucking psychopath

it turns out actually throwing the challenge flag on the play likely cost the Bears a halftime lead—and quite possibly a win in this incredibly close series. Green Bay leads all-time, 95 wins to 93, with six ties. Bizarre to think of it … but without this challenge by Fox, it might have been 94-94 this morning.

Even beyond thinking that a head coach cares about a record in an all time series that dates back a century, that play happened in the first fucking half and he’s assuming an entirely different outcome.

Feejis
    Participant

To the day I die I will never understand the leverage that Goodell has in this extension negotiation. I astounds me that he has any? It’s not like he’s fielding offers to jump ship and become MLB commissioner or something? What other job could he possibly get that would pay him a fraction of what he makes now? Between the falling ratings, the CTE issues and the non-stop legal battles vs. the leagues biggest stars how can the owners not at least perform some due diligence on other candidates? Its abundantly clear that he will never quit so why not squeeze him a bit and save a few bucks with a low-ball offer. All I can think of is that he must be a Waylon Smithers, type sycophant behind the scenes such that the most owners will put up with his occasional public displays of power in exchange for his near total acquiescence to their demands. They must have concluded that the only thing worse the Roger would be a replacement that would think for his or her self and not not willingly assume a 100% submissive attitude when told how to think.

Silver makes $10m a year and would be better at the job if dropped in there tomorrow. Better from a public perception at least. I think you’re right that Roger is happy to have his strings pulled and they want to reward that instead of risking someone with a brain.

Claude45
    Participant

Paying Goodell what they pay him is monumentally stupid. They are wasting $20-30 million a year on this dope. His resume is razor thin. If they capped him at $10-15 million he wouldn’t have gone anywhere. He’d still be overpaid.

The guy is terrible at his job. If they had an empty chair in Goodell’s place, the NFL would be better off.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

To the day I die I will never understand the leverage that Goodell has in this extension negotiation. ..All I can think of is that he must be a Waylon Smithers, type sycophant behind the scenes such that the most owners will put up with his occasional public displays of power in exchange for his near total acquiescence to their demands. They must have concluded that the only thing worse the Roger would be a replacement that would think for his or her self and not not willingly assume a 100% submissive attitude when told how to think.

Does this explain why Tags isn’t in the HOF yet?

Feejis
    Participant

Saw that Jerry Ellis died. Helluva nice guy.

Lefty

Paying Goodell what they pay him is monumentally stupid. They are wasting $20-30 million a year on this dope. His resume is razor thin. If they capped him at $10-15 million he wouldn’t have gone anywhere. He’d still be overpaid. The guy is terrible at his job. If they had an empty chair in Goodell’s place, the NFL would be better off.

Which is why, if they insist on keeping this douche, they should at LEAST tie his insanity pay to some sort of incentive basis.  Cap him at $10 – $15M, as you say, as it is consistent with industry comps.  Give him the chance to make up the insanity level up to $30M based on tv ratings, franchise value, attendance, whatever.   But don’t just hand him that ridiculous amount of money.  As others have said, where exactly is he going to go and get paid at the current level?

NASCL
    Participant

Saw that Jerry Ellis died. Helluva nice guy.

or 7/8 of one.

Lefty

Speaking of douchebags, Mittens Volin says hell0:

On an NFL media conference call today, Ben Volin of the Boston Globe asked league spokesman Joe Lockhart if there are any tampering issues surrounding the Patriots and Bennett. Lockhart’s answer was an emphatic, “No.”

Lebron
    Participant

Goodell got brought in on a hardo mandate – these players are out of control behaviorwise we can’t do anything about it so we need you to do it.  Blank could fire a thousand people a day at Home Depot and funnel in replacements, doesn’t work in professional sports.  Every owner made their deal with it knowing they might get hit on occasion.  Not much different from the players themselves agreeing to give Goodell all the authority in return for a bigger share of revenue.  Sure, a couple of us will get hit, probably won’t be me and I’ll take the chance.

Any commissioner in any pro sport saw what happened to Fay Vincent.  The collusion rulings where he basically called the owners untrustworthy, particularly Selig.  Not a good idea to say anything bad about your bosses.  Made it easy for them to blame him for salaries and whatever else.  The new revenue sharing they had to institute to cover the collusion debt.  Teams getting mad over proposed realignment.   Whatever the owners tell you to do, just do it.  The rest is all PR shit.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Goodell got brought in on a hardo mandate – these players are out of control behaviorwise we can’t do anything about it so we need you to do it.

Fair enough.

Now, in a nation of 300 million, could you possibly find a law-and-order hardass who isn’t mentally compromised and inept? That’d be nice.

Lefty

Goodell got brought in on a hardo mandate – these players are out of control behaviorwise we can’t do anything about it so we need you to do it.

Fair enough. Now, in a nation of 300 million, could you possibly find a law-and-order hardass who isn’t mentally compromised and inept? That’d be nice.

“Kabeer Gbaia-Biamila, Mother Fucker”

Participant

I like that he asked for Health Care for life for him and the family.

Talk about principled.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I like that he asked for Health Care for life for him and the family. Talk about principled.

This would also be fairly inexpensive if we gave him Roy Halladay’s plane.

Lebron
    Participant

This is where Brian throws in Condi Rice!

I wonder how desirable the job actually is.

Participant

:lol: :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

“so maybe the league can find a way to finance that project and get a good quality shot of some of those goal line plays, like they had in the Oakland-Kansas City game.” BB

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Packer fans are cultish weirdos.

Nobody forced your team to waive the guy. Jesus.

Coma
    Participant

Speaking of douchebags, Mittens Volin says hell0: On an NFL media conference call today, Ben Volin of the Boston Globe asked league spokesman Joe Lockhart if there are any tampering issues surrounding the Patriots and Bennett. Lockhart’s answer was an emphatic, “No.”

Tampering how? In Volin’s little brain, does he think the Patriots reached out to Bennett, told him to say he was going to retire at the end of the season. Then, a week later, to say his shoulder is hurt and he needs to have season ending surgery. He further believes that NE knew Green Bay wouldn’t put him on IR and let him have surgery. Instead, they were sure GB would cut him, 30 other teams would pass on claiming him off waivers and he’d be there for the Patriots to sign.

It’s such an asinine idea to think this was all orchestrated, it would be an upset if Volin didn’t believe it.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Tampering how? In Volin’s little brain, does he think the Patriots reached out to Bennett, told him to say he was going to retire at the end of the season. Then, a week later, to say his shoulder is hurt and he needs to have season ending surgery. He further believes that NE knew Green Bay wouldn’t put him on IR and let him have surgery. Instead, they were sure GB would cut him, 30 other teams would pass on claiming him off waivers and he’d be there for the Patriots to sign. It’s such an asinine idea to think this was all orchestrated, it would be an upset if Volin didn’t believe it.

The fact that some people think it’s real shows how ingrained and calcified the Derangement Syndrome is. Keep it up! Getting in people’s paranoid heads has to help you win games at some level, at least a little bit. Dungy, Tomlin and Brother John could keep Freud busy indefinitely.

Lebron
    Participant

If anything what needs investerigating is the Packers claim of an undisclosed injury.  You gave him a physical before you signed him.  He sought multiple opinions outside of the team doc once he said his shoulder hurt, so obviously he disclosed it at some point, unless they’re saying he never went to the team doctor at all?

Coma
    Participant

To the day I die I will never understand the leverage that Goodell has in this extension negotiation. I astounds me that he has any? It’s not like he’s fielding offers to jump ship and become MLB commissioner or something? What other job could he possibly get that would pay him a fraction of what he makes now? Between the falling ratings, the CTE issues and the non-stop legal battles vs. the leagues biggest stars how can the owners not at least perform some due diligence on other candidates? Its abundantly clear that he will never quit so why not squeeze him a bit and save a few bucks with a low-ball offer. All I can think of is that he must be a Waylon Smithers, type sycophant behind the scenes such that the most owners will put up with his occasional public displays of power in exchange for his near total acquiescence to their demands. They must have concluded that the only thing worse the Roger would be a replacement that would think for his or her self and not not willingly assume a 100% submissive attitude when told how to think.

I’m fairly certain if was BBTL who brought this up, but, when it was time to name Tagliabue’s successor, Goodell and his lieutenants threatened to leave if he didn’t get the job. None of the savvy businessmen among the owners looked at the league management landscape and thought to call his bluff. Like now, there was no place he could have gone to get a position that was remotely close in terms of prestige and compensation.

If the owners had said “Fine, good luck with your new job. We’re going with someone else” 11 years ago, Goodell would have ruined the CFL and a soccer league by now.

Participant

LJSandwich
    Participant

Kingasaurus
    Participant

If anything what needs investerigating is the Packers claim of an undisclosed injury. You gave him a physical before you signed him. He sought multiple opinions outside of the team doc once he said his shoulder hurt, so obviously he disclosed it at some point, unless they’re saying he never went to the team doctor at all?

Bennett says he told them in March.

Either he did or he didn’t.

Participant

Beginning of the end?

@GregABedard There is a technical issue going on with and memberships. We are working on it. Thanks for your patience

Coma
    Participant

If anything what needs investerigating is the Packers claim of an undisclosed injury. You gave him a physical before you signed him. He sought multiple opinions outside of the team doc once he said his shoulder hurt, so obviously he disclosed it at some point, unless they’re saying he never went to the team doctor at all?

Bennett says he told them in March. Either he did or he didn’t.

Breer says he knew about Hightower’s partially torn pectoral muscle in the spring and that’s why teams backed off. Even if Bennett didn’t explicitly tell them, the Packers couldn’t figure that out on their own? They were only going to commit to paying him $21 million over the next 3 years, why give him a physical?

jforb
    Participant

Beginning of the end?

@GregABedard There is a technical issue going on with and memberships. We are working on it. Thanks for your patience

Shocking that there were people trying to pay to discover that there’s an issue.

Lefty

Bennett says he told them in March. Either he did or he didn’t.

Breer says he knew about Hightower’s partially torn pectoral muscle in the spring and that’s why teams backed off. Even if Bennett didn’t explicitly tell them, the Packers couldn’t figure that out on their own? They were only going to commit to paying him $21 million over the next 3 years, why give him a physical?

I heard on NFL radio the other day that the teams all have access to a common medical database of all players.  (I thought that was odd, too, but some guy who is a retired team doctor was talking about it) so, as he put it, the Packers knew everything the Patriots knew when they signed Bennett.  (I assume that means the Jets knew about Hightower in the same way).   If everyone has access to the same medical and nothing changed after Bennett signed with the Packers, then they need to shut up.

Lefty

Beginning of the end?

“Technically, “ it is an issue that no one is signing up.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Jason Kyrie can shoot.

Viewing 47 posts - 1 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar