Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 12/1-12/2/2018 Weekend Discussion Thread

This topic contains 38 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Kingasaurus 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Yahtzee
    Participant

Minnesota game!

What kind of magic will this brave new board bring?

Yahtzee
    Participant

RIP 41

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Also Hiyao Miyazaki won’t be down to lovingly animate bizarre dream creatures.

Rickkyboy
    Participant

DVR grabbed the latest 30 for 30, The Last Days of Knight.

I had really put that incident away so it all seemed so new. They dragged it out almost 2 hours, which seemed overkill and really made it a media self congratulatory thing. I didn’t know that the player, who had been grabbed/choked, had passed away a few years ago. They could have skipped a lot to show those final moments.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

That sucks.

Coma
    Participant

I guess it’s safe to say that Clark Hunt is not a Father Flanagan type.

That entire Josh Brown episode sticks out compared to everything that came before and after it. Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, and Greg Hardy all received long suspensions or were released by their team. Then, Josh Brown initially gets a one game suspension. Then we’re back to Ezekiel Elliot getting 6 games and Kareem Hunt getting released, with a suspension by the league pending.

Instead of shrugging and saying that John Mara believes he can rehabilitate people, the nation’s preeminent football writer should have been asking why the Giants and league thought they could get away with a one game suspension. There was nothing special about Brown, he wasn’t a historically great kicker, or young, and was only with the Giants for 4 seasons. Add in that Eli was the biggest name associated with the league’s “No More” campaign and McAdoo, in an early interview after being named head coach, made it a point to say he would have zero tolerance for any type of domestic violence (I’d have to go back and look, but I think he brought this up unprompted.) It should have been a slam dunk for the league to issue a 6 game suspension and/or for the Giants to part ways with the player. Instead, they went with a one game suspension until the situation blew up and the Giants released Brown. A year later, after his career was effectively over, the league issued a meaningless 6 game suspension of Brown. Did John Mara just not want to be inconvenienced by finding a new kicker? Did the huge Giants fan in charge of investigating domestic violence cases for the NFL decide she didn’t want to hurt her team? I’m just asking questions.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

This new quote function should be called SHOUT because it shows up in massive type on my screen.

Got hooked and watched all five hours (!!!???) of the Full-Color Football AFL documentary from 2009. And it really made it clear how much Wellington Mara and The Giants were regarded as the royalty of the National Football League, and how glamorous Big Blue was (really, because Frank “Flight-Attendant Groper” Gifford got all these TV commercials and endorsement deals from Madison Avenue:

“Hey, kid, are you still using that greasy kid stuff?”

“Yes, Mister Gifford.”

‘”Here’s a pro tip [flips product over to pimply teen] … use Vitalis!”

If Asante Samuel had a pair of hands, we would be spared all this Giants’ worship and all anyone would remember was Herm Edwards’ returning Csonka’s fumble for a last-second TD …)

4 users thanked author for this post.

328 Chauncey St
    Participant

No more minus ones?? Im going to miss the righteous indignation and spurious accusations!! :lol:   :lol:

2 users thanked author for this post.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Got hooked and watched all five hours (!!!???) of the Full-Color Football AFL documentary from 2009.

That thing is awesome. One of the comments said “this might be the best documentary ever made about football” and he might be right. All the great Patriots stuff in it is a nice bonus.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Most of Brohio nation should be puking in their mouth right now.  Delightful.

Urb melting down.

I’m sure Ohio State will win but some good suffering on the way.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  Yahtzee.

Lebron
    Participant

Thought Urb was going to pull a Fred Sanford when they fumbled and Northwestern picked it up.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Looking ahead, the Celtics schedule in December seems a lot easier in terms of opponents, in addition to solutions being  found to on court issues.

Doncabesa
    Participant

Where did you see that?  Not finding anything on google.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Where did you see that? Not finding anything on google.

Darn it. It was a different anime guy named Miyazaki. Akira Miyazaki

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-11-27/scriptwriter-director-akira-miyazaki-passes-away-at-84/.140008

Humphrey
    Participant

What exactly was the point of Shank’s article?

Participant

I believe it’s the .32 kid’s anniversary this week – congrats!

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Gotta keep those interns busy! I wonder what Powder and La Pizzutti are paying that space-wasting time-server. Anything over minimum wage is a waste of money.

BrianInLA
    Participant

I wonder if all of the LA media will be writing BLUEPRINT tomorrow morning.

If Patricia beats both the Pats and these Rams in a single season they should put him in the hall of fame.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

No team has scored 30 points yet this week. Everyone remembered how to play defense?

Yahtzee
    Participant

No team has scored 30 points yet this week. Everyone remembered how to play defense?

The Giants haven’t.

Humphrey
    Participant

Obj went after an onside kick like a Pop Warner player.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I didn’t see it.  Was it a Cam Newton situation?

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Nice start by the Pats.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Not a complaint but I don’t understand why they weren’t flagged for jumping over the long snapper.

Coma
    Participant

I didn’t see it. Was it a Cam Newton situation?

Not quite as bad, but in the ballpark. Beckham could have slid or dove and tried to catch the ball. Instead, he slowed up and tried to bat it out of bounds. That attempt failed because a Bears player dove on the ground and caught the ball.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

That same play better not suddenly become pass interference in the 4th quarter

Doncabesa
    Participant

Well that was a shitty way to end the half.

Coma
    Participant

That’s a catch now (the 3rd down conversion by Rudolph)? Like Laszlo said, the officials better not change their mind later in the game or next week or in the playoffs.

Doncabesa
    Participant

It’s getting old having an entire league office be against the best organization in their sport.  A tactical nuke taking out NFL headquarters would sure be a real shame.

jforb
    Participant

Min should challenge this spot

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Even when his brothers play each other it’s all about JJ.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

To shoehorn in his newest hobbyhorse phrase that he believes will further cement his reputation as a nationally prominent sportswriter and perhaps turn into a revenue stream: Tomato Can(s).

Since Joe Sullivan retired, you don’t see it in headlines much anymore. But the challenge to Shank is to get TC in early since no one ever makes the jump on his troll twaddle. Today was about 100 words in. Perfect-o.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

The freaking Steelers’ TD celebrations last as long as a half-time show.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Funniest thing that happened at the game today:

They’re doing the free-pizza delivery shtick where they surprise a random person with free pizza. So the delivery guy is descending the stairs on the Jumbletrom, and he hands the free pizza to some confused guy in a Vikings jersey, and the Vikes fan’s eyes bugged out like Mike Tomlin, like he had no idea what was happening. The entire stadium booed the shit out of him. It was fabulous. :lol:

Yahtzee
    Participant

The freaking Steelers’ TD celebrations last as long as a half-time show.

Not much celebrating from them now.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Steelers twitterati upset about officiating. One dude notes Tomlin has lost 9 straight challenges.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

One dude notes Tomlin has lost 9 straight challenges.

It’s almost like he doesn’t know when he should challenge or something. Maybe it’s Tomlin’s version of “strenuously objecting”.

Yahtzee
    Participant

One dude notes Tomlin has lost 9 straight challenges.

It’s almost like he doesn’t know when he should challenge or something. Maybe it’s Tomlin’s version of “strenuously objecting”.

Was the stadium crowd aware of the Belichick- Thielen moment?

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Was the stadium crowd aware of the Belichick- Thielen moment?

I definitely wasn’t. Didn’t seem like it.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar