Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 12/11/2017 Daily Thread

This topic contains 92 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  Fred West Lynn 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 93 total)
  • Author

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Good job, Good effort, Poes. :dry:

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

chicowalker
    Participant

A quick stat for you: in the past 12 games of the Steelers-Ravens series, it’s six wins apiece. Total points: 275 for Baltimore and, you guessed it, 275 for Pittsburgh.

*refractory period* *finishes writing rest of column*

chicowalker
    Participant

Either Fatty dressed up these quotes, or his terrible writing is seeping into the subconscious of his texting buddies.

Shady “LeSean” Mccoy: “The trade was wrong, and it was weird.”

Andy Reid: “I don’t weigh things out like that—at all,”

By the end of the column I fully expect John Lynch to implore congress to do something, JJ Watt to talk at length about baseball, and Matt Ryan to praise the virtues of Bud Light’s drinkability :dry:

Participant

“Ironic, really, that the three quarterbacks on New England’s roster on Sept. 1 are now all starting, two of them for teams not named the Patriots. New England has chosen to go all-in on its 40-year-old 29-year-old, Tom Brady. But with so many quarterbacks going down, and so many teams relying on backups, the smart GMs are the ones whose backups are producing well.”

It’s egregious I tell ya.

“So, if you live in Cleveland and want to see Aaron Rodgers, you could have done that in his 13th NFL start, in 2009, when Rogers was 25. The next time you’ll be able to do that, if Rodgers is still playing football, and if he is still playing for the Packers, will be in 2025, when Rodgers will be either 41 or 42. I’ve said it forever: The arcane scheduling model of the NFL needs to cut down the time between interconference games. As it is now, it’s eight years between an AFC team’s visit to a given NFC team. The way to cut it down? Make all 28 non-division foes interchangeable. It’s nonsensical for instance that, between 2008 and 2017, Cleveland plays Jacksonville seven times and Green Bay twice. It’s simple to fix. You play twice a year against your division foes, and the other 10 games are a rotation, home and away, of the other 28 teams in the league. Instead of the Packers coming to Cleveland once per eight years, they’d come once ever five or six. Still a big gap, but not as egregious as it is now.”

Random counting

“The replay explanation by Ed Hochuli in the first half of Detroit-Tampa Bay was 87 words long. The 15th word was “therefore.” The 18th word was “indeed.”

The explanation was 27.43 seconds long.”

Coma
    Participant

“Ironic, really, that the three quarterbacks on New England’s roster on Sept. 1 are now all starting, two of them for teams not named the Patriots. New England has chosen to go all-in on its 40-year-old 29-year-old, Tom Brady. But with so many quarterbacks going down, and so many teams relying on backups, the smart GMs are the ones whose backups are producing well.”

Even Alanis Morissette would have a hard time finding irony in that first sentence. How else could that scenario make sense unless two of the three players were on different teams?

If PK wanted to point out something ironic, he could mention how many in his profession believe that Belichick can’t draft and was just lucky with Brady, yet the last two QBs he’s drafted are starting for other teams and playing well (Or at least well enough to keep their jobs).

Kevin
    Participant

Six years. Reasonable.

Eight years. Egregious!

TwoTimes
    Participant

How else did he think all 3 of them would be starting if 2 of them weren’t starting for other teams?

For the soccer contingent, the results of this morning’s Champions League draw:

PSG – Real Madrid :ohmy:

Juventus – Tottenham

Man. City – Basel

Liverpool – Porto

Chelsea – Barcelona :wall:

Bayern Munich – Besitkas

Sevilla – Man United

Shakhtar Donetsk – Roma

chicowalker
    Participant

Six years. Reasonable. Eight years. Egregious!

That he uses Browns fans as the cudgel this time- we don’t get to have our ass kicked by that guy often enough! is probably very low on Browns fans’ list of football complaints

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

It’s hilarious that in an era of cafeteria-television, where Aaron Rodgers fanboys living in Cleveland can, if they wish, watch and DVR every Packer pre- and regular-season game,*  :pk:  proposes throwing the NFL schedule into turmoil, destroying the ability to use record vs. common opponents to determine seeding, and exponentially increasing the unfairness of a schedule in which a 32-team league plays a 16-game slate.

Of course, the idiots in the league office and on the competition committee probably think his drivel makes sense.

*Or travel to Detroit or Chicago or — for God’s sake — Green Bay to see him in person.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

The schedule rotation is probably one of the few things that NFL does well.  It’s rational, ensures everybody plays everybody else in a predictable rotation, and then has two games devoted to strength of schedule adjustment games. They don’t have to throw anything against the wall and make choices which could be seen as favoring this or that team.

OK, let’s take King’s suggestion at face value. Currently teams have an intra-conference rotation of one of every three years (Pats guaranteed to play the Browns once every three years, 33% of seasons) and an inter-conference rotation of one in every four years (Pats guaranteed to play the Bucs once every four years, 25% of seasons).  Let’s abolish the AFC/NFC distinction, and make it so that a team will have to play two of the other seven divisions in equal rotation (That works out to 28.6% of seasons, a whole 3.6% improvement!). So instead of the Browns playing the Packers 7 times in 28 seasons, they’d play 8 times in 28 seasons!  WOW, what an improvement! And all you had to do was introduce a whole host of obvious and nonobvious scheduling balance issues.

I think the Cleveland ticket holder has bigger issues than whether or not they’re able to see Aaron Rodgers play their team.

RedSeat
    Participant

Six years. Reasonable. Eight years. Egregious!

And the real comparison is every 2-3 years, vs every 4 years, since that is how often the teams play each other. He’s so hung up on this idea of  home crowd seeing visiting QB-X, in spite of the fact that 99% of the audience is watching on TV, where, get this, they broadcast road games as well.

And in this alternate reality, where all non-division games are treated equally, is there ANY doubt that he’d be lamenting the fact that we won’t get to see Brady-Roethlisberger for three years due to the weird quirks of the NFL schedule?

He won’t be happy until they play a 162 game schedule, preferably in the summer months, with each team featuring five starting QB’s who rotate their starts through three or four game series against a single opponent.

chicowalker
    Participant

Jack Morris is in the HoF now? WTF.  I don’t even care about baseball anymore but I’m pissed.  Most wins in the 80’s! Pitched to the score! 10 inning complete game! :weei:  

Feejis
    Participant

Pete would be the first to complain about inequity of a division winner getting a soft non-division schedule while the team that finished one game back played a bunch of good teams.

chicowalker
    Participant

His stupid rotation thing doesn’t take into account player movement.  Those same 2009 Browns fans might have been eagerly awaiting the first chance to see Favre since 2001 ( :lol: ) and now all of the sudden he’s a Jet

NASCL
    Participant

Just have each team play 40+games each season and it can be done annually.  Problem solved.

NASCL
    Participant

Peter King has the uncanny ability to continuously die on the wrong hill.

NumberFour
    Participant

WTF…I tried to respond to TMM’s soccer post. WordPress flagged it as potential spam. :lol:

Is that a board feature? Only one soccer-related post per page?

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Peter King has the uncanny ability to continuously die on the wrong hill.

Once would satisfy me. Any hill is fine.

I hate that we’re even expending mental energy to – in detail – counter his toddler-ish stupidity. Every Monday this could happen.

I absolutely hate him.

Participant

It COULD still fall thru…..

This is the furthest I’ve gotten in my restaurant/new business process… the architect sketch for permitting. Things could still fall through due to zoning issues, but I’m more hopeful this time around! Let’s do this!!

chicowalker
    Participant

Hubbuch or *** *****?  if it’s the latter, why would she bother? Didn’t she make 300k last year catering out of her house? :lol:

Participant

It’s the pride of Mansfield, (after Tomase of course).

jforb
    Participant

Hubbuch or *** *****? if it’s the latter, why would she bother? Didn’t she make 300k last year catering out of her house? 😆

“Catering” where previous clients include Mike Napoli and anything goes except Erin Andrews role playing.

Hacksaw
    Participant

His stupid rotation thing doesn’t take into account player movement. Those same 2009 Browns fans might have been eagerly awaiting the first chance to see Favre since 2001 ( 😆 ) and now all of the sudden he’s a Jet

MLB Channel still has Plays of the Week/Year= White guys out of position diving for baseballs.

Lebron
    Participant

The patience of Leveon Bell.  They should write treatises about it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar