Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 12/12/2018 Daily Thread

This topic contains 35 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Danny Duberstein 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Please “thank” me for starting today’s thread.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

:smile:

Piggybacking on last night’s thread re. Tim Neverett’s firing/resignation and turning radio baseball play-by-play into a sports-talk/interactive experience — WEEI’s “brainstorm” — didn’t that fail spectacularly on Patriots’ preseason television? They moved Socci and Zolak from radio to the TV booth this past summer; did anyone here listed to the radio feed? And can you imagine Castiglione trying to work in that format?

Baseball on radio is almost 100 years old and it may be dying a slow death, but what WEEI is thinking about is like those recent criminal cases where psychotic nurses go around murdering their patients.

There are ways to make sports play-by-play more interactive, using social media platforms. (I’m sure The Valuencer® has a solution.) But sports radio is unlistenable; I wonder what the bounce rate is, but listening to a game on a long car trip would be out of the question if PBP is replaced by hot takes, false controversy and rank stupidity.

I didn’t mind Neverett. There are a lot of people out there who are worse, including Dale Arnold and Glenn Geffner of recent memory.

7 users thanked author for this post.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Whatever happened to the hottakers in this town? By yesterday afternoon, most have moved on from wailing about the ending of the Dolphin’s game to the red-hot topic of how to break up the World Series Champions. A couple of muffinheads on EEI were debating who to trade off this winter. (Interestingly, none of them got into who would replace them on the Sox roster and how that salary would match up against the ring-wearer they’d be replacing.) The governing principle appeared to be an odd thought: trade young, team-friendly contract players – now Champions — while they’re still young, affordable, and productive in order to … ?

I think I’m going to stick with Sirius XMU unless there are actual games on the radio. The “insider” analysis makes my brain hurt. A lot.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Hot takes, false controversey, and rank stupidity are their stock in trade. I’d throw in thin-skinned immaturity and Legally Blonde level pettiness, but I’m not a nice person.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

I just tried to use “Quote” response to respond to Canadian Soldier, and once again get the red flag reading:

*** Forbidden. Message seems to be spam. ***

Is this happening to anyone else? (I realize I asked this question a few days ago, but if there was an answer, I missed it. Sometimes life intervenes with board participation.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I just tried to use “Quote” response to respond to Canadian Soldier, and once again get the red flag reading:

Is this happening to anyone else? (I realize I asked this question a few days ago, but if there was an answer, I missed it. Sometimes life intervenes with board participation.

It has happened to me.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

It has happened to me.

Me, too.
    Oh, by the way, Lou Merloni sucks, sucks, sucks. Whoever identified him as “talent” should be summarily executed.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Suzy
    Participant

:smile:<noscript>:smile:</noscript>

Piggybacking on last night’s thread re. Tim Neverett’s firing/resignation and turning radio baseball play-by-play into a sports-talk/interactive experience — WEEI’s “brainstorm” — didn’t that fail spectacularly on Patriots’ preseason television? They moved Socci and Zolak from radio to the TV booth this past summer; did anyone here listed to the radio feed? And can you imagine Castiglione trying to work in that format?

Baseball on radio is almost 100 years old and it may be dying a slow death, but what WEEI is thinking about is like those recent criminal cases where psychotic nurses go around murdering their patients.

There are ways to make sports play-by-play more interactive, using social media platforms. (I’m sure The Valuencer® has a solution.) But sports radio is unlistenable; I wonder what the bounce rate is, but listening to a game on a long car trip would be out of the question if PBP is replaced by hot takes, false controversy and rank stupidity.

I didn’t mind Neverett. There are a lot of people out there who are worse, including Dale Arnold and Glenn Geffner of recent memory.

I don’t mind Neverett, either. I listen to a lot of baseball during my commute home during the season but if they go to a grab-ass, idiotic format I may have to pass. It’s almost like they know nothing about producing good radio over there.

jforb
    Participant

I’m pretty sure if at any point in the last 3 years, you told me it was still O’brien and not Neverett I wouldn’t have questioned you. Couldn’t be much more generic, which based on the rumors and experiencing Geffner, it’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Humphrey
    Participant

I could see them trying something different with the broadcasts, but I think that sort of scenario makes no sense at all when your lead guy is north of 70 years old. The guy can’t go 9 innings I wouldn’t think and you need someone describing the action, not just people yapping.

Anyone old enough to recall Sox telecasts where the play by play guy for a few innings every game was Mel Parnell, Johnny Pesky or Bob Montgomery or a couple of other folks knows that you just can’t throw someone behind the mike and expect things to go smoothly. And those guys were on TV, not radio.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Elite Joe Flacco demoted to clipboard holder.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

jforb
    Participant

Not that anyone cares, but 2 blocked punts doesn’t get you special teams player of the week?

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

The Ravens got some return on the coin they gave Jump Ball Joe post Super Bowl. Hasn’t he made something like 120 Million while never winning another playoff game? :lol:   :lol:

4 users thanked author for this post.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Not that anyone cares, but 2 blocked punts doesn’t get you special teams player of the week?

Ronnie the Limo Driver “Two blocked cvnts….yeahhhhhhh!”

Participant

The NY Post wants the Jets to hire Brother John should he be available for 2019.

Lebron
    Participant

Bronco fans were talking Brother John before they won 3 in a row.  Now with the loss to the 49ers I’m sure that talk will kick back up.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I’d love the Jets to hire Brother John then break the bank for Le’veon Bell and still end up 4 -12. :smile:

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Bronco fans were talking Brother John before they won 3 in a row. Now with the loss to the 49ers I’m sure that talk will kick back up.

This story in today’s New York Times, while probably nothing new for Lebron, is a tasty summation of the Bowlen Brood’s Battle for the Broncos. SPOILER/AVERT YOUR EYES ALERT: Pat Bowlen’s Wife #2 looks like Jennifer Coolidge after a visit to a really bad plastic surgeon.   :blink:   :ohmy:  

Link

Coma
    Participant

It has happened to me.

I had it happen when I replied to a post about Eli being 2 or 3 games over .500 for his career. I listed some stats comparing Ben, Eli and Rivers and received a spam warning. I took out some of the stats, reformatted the rest into more of a paragraph and that got by the spam filter. Or maybe the spam monitor was at lunch.

chicowalker
    Participant

Here’s the 2-1 to Holt..slider away..did you know that Mut spends half his paycheck on creatine? And Alex won’t be here friday, trying to beat that P-town traffic? Can you believe it?

Humphrey
    Participant

A week ago the Post was touting McCarthy from Green Bay.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Futility Loustinksin the booth. Won’t shut up and adds nothing. It was painful in the WS listening to him talk over Neverret and Joe and you could tell he was rooting for Price to fail.

While you can shit on the teams on the radio no one wants to hear that  during a game especially from the home town announcers.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

It has happened to me.

I had it happen when I replied to a post about Eli being 2 or 3 games over .500 for his career. I listed some stats comparing Ben, Eli and Rivers and received a spam warning. I took out some of the stats, reformatted the rest into more of a paragraph and that got by the spam filter. Or maybe the spam monitor was at lunch.

My instance was when I replied to someone “minus one” but in numerals as a reference to their being no more downvote option. I think our new server dislikes math. :lol:

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Somebody needs to take Curt’s computer away or up his meds.

Lefty

No more down votes and only “thanks “ as an option.

we are no longer “mean and not for everyone.”

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar