Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 12/17/2018 Daily Thread

This topic contains 46 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Lebron 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • Author

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Another Pat Burns death notification for the Patriots dynasty?

We’ll get to that, after the break.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

2 users thanked author for this post.

Participant

The struggle is real for the King spawn:

My daughter Laura and her wife Kim took children Freddy and Hazel on Saturday to see Santa Claus at a Bay Area mall. Freddy, a month shy of 2, dressed in his reindeer sweater, was extremely fired up. They got to the mall, and they found out it they would have to spend at least $40 in a mall photo package to sit on Santa’s lap. You could walk by Santa for free, and he would greet the child and be a nice guy, but there would be no “Have you been a good little boy this year?” conversation.

I mean, wow.

So they decided not to do the sitting-on-Santa’s-lap part of it, and do the walk-by instead, and Santa was nice to Freddy and it was a fine experience. But $40 to sit on Santa’s lap and get photos you’d rather take yourself? How did that happen? Is that a thing now?”

Big Fat O
    Participant

Can I get me a panic button here?

jforb
    Participant

If I were a GM and needed help on the offensive line in 2019, I might look extra harder at the draft.

That section is a paid PFF ad right?

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

The struggle is real for the King spawn:

My daughter Laura and her wife Kim took children Freddy and Hazel on Saturday to see Santa Claus at a Bay Area mall. Freddy, a month shy of 2, dressed in his reindeer sweater, was extremely fired up. They got to the mall, and they found out it they would have to spend at least $40 in a mall photo package to sit on Santa’s lap. You could walk by Santa for free, and he would greet the child and be a nice guy, but there would be no “Have you been a good little boy this year?” conversation.

I mean, wow.

So they decided not to do the sitting-on-Santa’s-lap part of it, and do the walk-by instead, and Santa was nice to Freddy and it was a fine experience. But $40 to sit on Santa’s lap and get photos you’d rather take yourself? How did that happen? Is that a thing now?”

Look for the new children’s book, FREDDY AND HAZEL HAVE TWO MOMMIES AND AN ASSHOLE GRAMPA.  Now available on Amazon.com.

Lebron
    Participant

Stephen A. not giving up on Patriots

We’re doomed.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

Stephen A. not giving up on Patriots

We’re doomed.

He’s pretty sure Steve Nelson will rally the troops and the Grogan to Stanley Morgan connection will be firing on all cylinders.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Feejis
    Participant

It’s a small thing, but the fact that John Simon is out there at that point in the game doesn’t inspire much confidence.

Lebron
    Participant

Pete is blown away by the travel schedule of the Watt parents.  Kansas City Thursday, New Jersey Saturday, Pittsburgh Sunday.  Unheard of!  And for a guy who had his nose up in the air over sugar whether it was a person writing in asking his favorite Halloween candy “I don’t eat sugar” or scolding people drinking soda, he sure loves to act like a martyr over egg nog lattes.  Sure they taste terrible, but he has to have multiples of them this time of year so he can write about how terrible they are.

Hacksaw
    Participant

The Watt family is what makes everything allwhite in football.

It’s a small thing, but the fact that John Simon is out there at that point in the game doesn’t inspire much confidence.

“Draft failure” should be the easiest causality stories to write right now. The whiffs on Richards, Jones, and Garcia, Mitchell’s injury, the non-emergence of Rivers, the relative meh play of Brown, etc.

The young talent on the roster is wanting, comparatively, to other teams. They’ve got youth and talent on the OL, RB, and DE, but are thin at LB, long in the tooth at DB (although still strong there), and lacking explosiveness at WR. The team is relying on some players (Gordon, Simon) that obviously weren’t in their plans at the start of the year.

It’s not a sky-is-falling scenario; it’s a they’re-not-as-strong-as-they-have-been scenario. And if all the insulated bubble Pats fans would open their eyes, they’d see it’s what it’s like to be a fan of any other team.

They planned for a lot, but some things just don’t work out. You could say they were lucky with Gordon,  but they were also unlucky that Matthews and Britt went down, and Mitchell never healed. Or how about poor Jeremy Hill. Or Wynn. Or Bentley. Or Dawson.

Every other strong team comes back to the pack. The Steelers, the Ravens, the Packers, the Seahawks, they all have off years, non- playoff years, 8-8 or below years, rebuild and come back. That the Patriots never “suffered” these kinds of years has their spoiled fans thinking they’re immune to the phenomenon.

If going 11-5, winning their division,  but possibly falling short of the Super Bowl is the worst thing that happens, they should all count their lucky, self-entitled stars.

Coma
    Participant

I forget who wrote/said this, but, before the season, some pundit predicted a huge year for Brandin Cooks because he would be playing with Jared Goff this season. The storyline was, Brady’s lack of arm strength and deep ball accuracy, hampered Cooks’ production in 2017 and we would see a big jump this year, now that he was playing with a young QB with an offensive minded head coach.

With New England, Cooks had 65 receptions for 1082 yards and 7 TDs, to go along with 9 rushes for 40 yards. Through 14 games with the Rams, he’s got 72 receptions for 1107 yards and 3 TDs, plus 7 rushes for 41 yards and a TD. He’ll probably add 150 yards or so in the final 2 games, to give him 82 receptions and 1250 yards for the season. That would be the a great season and the best yardage total of Cooks’ career, but I’m not sure if that meets the expectations that were built up for him, especially with passing yards being up an average of 15 yards per game across the league. Put another way, last year, Cooks finished 11th in receiving yards. This year, he’s currently 12th in the league.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

What is the story with Rivers, he seems to be a healthy scratch every week?

Feejis
    Participant

“Draft failure” should be the easiest causality stories to write right now. The whiffs on Richards, Jones, and Garcia, Mitchell’s injury, the non-emergence of Rivers, the relative meh play of Brown, etc.

The young talent on the roster is wanting, comparatively, to other teams. They’ve got youth and talent on the OL, RB, and DE, but are thin at LB, long in the tooth at DB (although still strong there), and lacking explosiveness at WR. The team is relying on some players (Gordon, Simon) that obviously weren’t in their plans at the start of the year.

It’s not a sky-is-falling scenario; it’s a they’re-not-as-strong-as-they-have-been scenario. And if all the insulated bubble Pats fans would open their eyes, they’d see it’s what it’s like to be a fan of any other team.

They planned for a lot, but some things just don’t work out. You could say they were lucky with Gordon, but they were also unlucky that Matthews and Britt went down, and Mitchell never healed. Or how about poor Jeremy Hill. Or Wynn. Or Bentley. Or Dawson.

Every other strong team comes back to the pack. The Steelers, the Ravens, the Packers, the Seahawks, they all have off years, non- playoff years, 8-8 or below years, rebuild and come back. That the Patriots never “suffered” these kinds of years has their spoiled fans thinking they’re immune to the phenomenon.

If going 11-5, winning their division, but possibly falling short of the Super Bowl is the worst thing that happens, they should all count their lucky, self-entitled stars.

Indeed. They got nothing out of Wynn and Dawson this year for obvious reasons.

Last year also very light with only Wise being useful.

2016 was meh with Thuney and Roberts but they didn’t have a 1st.

Flowers and Mason make 2015 strong but their top 3 guys could’ve been much better.

2014 only White remains. 2013 only Harmon remains.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Participant

I’m sure Ryan talked to all the other Steelers who played 6 snaps yesterday.

“I just wanted to get it done,” Ridley said after Pittsburgh’s 17-10 victory, via WEEI’s Ryan Hannable. “I am happy we got the win. God is good.”

A Ridley fumble would have been sublime.

If the league were truly inclined to rig a game, wouldn’t holding calls be the perfect way to do it? There’s both a history of it happening all the time, and refs missing it happening. And whenever it’s called, nobody is fully convinced on replay that it happened/didn’t happen. It’s the perfect ticky tack penalty: it sabotages drives, it’s available at any point in a game and it has built-in plausible deniability.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

When was the last time their top pick was an impactful player his rookie year, Jamie Collins in ’13?

Last year’s draft was a real kick in the balls.  Top guy gets hurt then gets DNP’d.  Second guy gets sick and is as far as I know out of football.  That’s half the draft class.  This year you get your top guy getting hurt, second guy misses time but contributing, 3rd guy hurt then DNP’d upon his return.  Year before that the top pick is a mess then tears his ACL then gets cut.  Pretty hard to reload and get younger when that happens.  The DNPs are a bit unnerving with top picks.  But then you get Malcolm Butler or JC Jackson as UDFAs.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

When was the last time their top pick was an impactful player his rookie year, Jamie Collins in ’13?

Last year’s draft was a real kick in the balls. Top guy gets hurt then gets DNP’d. Second guy gets sick and is as far as I know out of football. That’s half the draft class. This year you get your top guy getting hurt, second guy misses time but contributing, 3rd guy hurt then DNP’d upon his return. Year before that the top pick is a mess then tears his ACL then gets cut. Pretty hard to reload and get younger when that happens. The DNPs are a bit unnerving with top picks. But then you get Malcolm Butler or JC Jackson as UDFAs.

The further problem with last year’s draft was that the calculated risks they made using draft capital for young vets didn’t pan out so well. Can’t complain about what they got from Cooks last season then flipping him for another 1, and Dwayne Allen is a blocker only but a good blocker. James O’Shaughnessy didn’t stick and seems to be somewhat productive in Jacksonville. Kony Ealy was a total bust. I think those were all the trades using last year’s picks?

Lebron
    Participant

Any of the clutching/grabbing type penalties would work.  Pass interference/holding.  Illegal hands to the face is another.  Heck you could throw a flag randomly and have a good chance of being right.  Personally I wish they’d just bring back the Deacon Jones head slap.

Last year’s draft was a real kick in the balls. Top guy gets hurt then gets DNP’d. Second guy gets sick and is as far as I know out of football. That’s half the draft class. This year you get your top guy getting hurt, second guy misses time but contributing, 3rd guy hurt then DNP’d upon his return. Year before that the top pick is a mess then tears his ACL then gets cut. Pretty hard to reload and get younger when that happens. The DNPs are a bit unnerving with top picks. But then you get Malcolm Butler or JC Jackson as UDFAs.

The further problem with last year’s draft was that the calculated risks they made using draft capital for young vets didn’t pan out so well. Can’t complain about what they got from Cooks last season then flipping him for another 1, and Dwayne Allen is a blocker only but a good blocker. James O’Shaughnessy didn’t stick and seems to be somewhat productive in Jacksonville. Kony Ealy was a total bust. I think those were all the trades using last year’s picks?

They followed the same formula this year:

• 95 for 153 and Trent Brown
    • 205 for 219 and McCourty
    • 2019 3rd for 159 and Shelton
    • 159 for 210 and Patterson
    • (In season) Conditional 2019 5th for Gordon

Pretty decent return other than the Shelton one. All are free agents, too, so that factors in.

Humphrey
    Participant

Any of the clutching/grabbing type penalties would work. Pass interference/holding. Illegal hands to the face is another. Heck you could throw a flag randomly and have a good chance of being right. Personally I wish they’d just bring back the Deacon Jones head slap.

They missed one on Ben R…grabbed a Pats’ OL face mask. Was on the drive when the Steelers missed the FG so no damage. Nevertheless on the replay it was real blatant.

Big Fat O
    Participant

The drafting by B.B. is one of the media’s favorite go too’s to shit on the team. For some reason B.B. can’t pick his ass while the other 31 teams go 7 for 7 on the draft but still lose every year.

If you looked at all of the teams they all probably have a same success rate over 10 years.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Wow – incredible footage of Kuechly captured by Monday Night Football.

Not.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Watching this game and the past couple of weeks, who is playing the best in the NFL?

Lots of coming down to earth.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar