Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 12/18/2017 Daily Thread

This topic contains 133 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  chicowalker 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 34 posts - 101 through 134 (of 134 total)
  • Author

Lebron
    Participant

Wow, Le Batard’s reaction to the Skipper news is insane. Some rich guy has to step down from his job into early retirement (if he wants) for substance abuse issues and you starting crying on air? There’s not enough Johnny Fontane slaps in the world to even that score. On top of that, Skipper is probably trying to head of sexual abuse stuff by running to the protection of substance abuse. What a group of “professionals” in sports media.

Didn’t see/hear but my guess is a guy like Le Batard owes his life to Skipper.  Guy dresses like a slob with a sidekick named Stugotz then has another show with his whacky dad, likely makes a fortune.  Same with Bill before he got let go, no other way a guy like Simmons was making $5 mil a year without a guy like Skipper as his benefactor.  Even guys like Bayless/Cowherd owe their lives to him.

Big Fat O
    Participant

All of these big fans are so spoiled they expect perfection and complete destruction of an opponent so when that doesn’t happen something is wrong.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Pete refers to Pittsburgh as a ‘heartsick’ city. Last week Philadelphia was ‘terminally heartbroken.’ He’s such a shitty writer.

From a medical perspective…

Compared to her, these three might be Pittsburgh Eights or Nines! Not gonna read Shank, but I can’t get enough of that pic.

Wonder what the  one pointing at Brady  is saying?

Participant

All of these big fans are so spoiled they expect perfection and complete destruction of an opponent so when that doesn’t happen something is wrong.

And when it does happen it doesn’t “feel” like they routed someone or the games “aren’t compelling” enough.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

And when it does happen it doesn’t “feel” like they routed someone or the games “aren’t compelling” enough.

Or they worry about running up the score and keeping Brady in the game too long.  I guess 2003 wasn’t a good enough 17-2 for them, with all the close games they played.  :dry:

Participant

https://i2.wp.com/media.giphy.com/media/12FQbDEkYgmYWQ/giphy.gif?resize=500%2C272

“I care about him,” Le Batard said, adding, “Just so you understand, this person has created everything that exists here at ESPN, for us. And he did it because of how he cares about minorities and their causes. And so every success that we’ve had — I didn’t want to work for ESPN, I wanted to work for this man, okay.”

Callahardfoul
    Participant

It’d be mighty fine if someone had the computer knowledge to photoshop Sessler’s face on McCarver and Brady’s face on Deion Sanders.

Lebron
    Participant

Why is it different if he’s a runnah and not a pass catcha?!? People really can’t get past the idea that you have to complete a catch/maintain possession as the primary requirement for a successful pass play vs. a runner who isn’t establishing possession.  Of course these are the same people who regularly crank out half ass work and give the good enough, right boss? look daily.

Feejis
    Participant

Why is it different if he’s a runnah and not a pass catcha?!? People really can’t get past the idea that you have to complete a catch/maintain possession as the primary requirement for a successful pass play vs. a runner who isn’t establishing possession. Of course these are the same people who regularly crank out half ass work and give the good enough, right boss? look daily.

Yeah, it’s maddening. Even heard douchebag Wingo this am say just make the rule different for the goal line. Golic was like really? So a 3rd and 4 where the guy is reaching out for the first down that’s incomplete but because it’s the goal line it’s a catch? The whole point is to treat all plays as similar as possible.

Simplest point to make is this: would it have been complete if he was already in the end zone when he dove and landed completely in the endzone before fumbling? Answer is no.

Nick B
    Participant

I probably know all the their talking points but, what’s Felger and MAzz up to?

Lefty

I probably know all the their talking points but, what’s Felger and MAzz up to?

Buggery and self-abuse, I would imagine, same as always.

Lebron
    Participant

Big Jim and the gang hate the rule.  Simply hate it.  Calvin Johnson?  That was a catch.  Dez Bryant?  Catch, all the way.  They can’t tell you what a catch is, but they know it when they see it.

Felger is off, probably lining up Tinder dates.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

I think Brian Burke said it on twitter. Rule should be ball can’t touch the ground at all if you try to catch it while going to the ground.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by  Callahardfoul.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

If Seattle had its own Felger, he’d be suspended today for calling yesterday’s Rams game a train wreck.   :pk:

Something compelled me to look up Pete Carroll’s bio on the Wiki. Turns out he, like Belichick, is half-Croatian (but in Poodle’s case, it’s on his mother’s side).  This interesting Skip-Gates-like nugget might have come up before SB49 but was drowned out by the Deflategate hysteria.

On other matters of ethnicity, Duane Charles Parcells is half Italian. Which might explain his enduring popularity among many in the Northeast.

Participant

Rollo.

“But we learned something else during the 27-24 victory that that carries even greater significance — the Steelers are built to win the rematch.”

They are legitimate, unlike Rollo’s spygate column.

“But it’s as important a development as Duron Harmon’s game-ending interception, because for the first time in years, the Steelers represent a legitimate threat, and not simply a pretend one.”

So the last one doesn’t count?  Got it.

“Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger made all of the throws except the last one,”

It was really mentally tough when only one of the 4 receivers on the field during the last play actually ran a route John.

“More importantly, the Steelers exhibited the mental toughness that usually separates New England from everyone else.”

No flaws on the Pittsburgh’s however….

“As inspiring as the Patriots looked on Sunday, they remain a flawed team that too often relies on Brady’s magic to save them.”

Lebron
    Participant

I think Brian Burke said it on twitter. Rule should be ball can’t touch the ground at all if you try to catch it while going to the ground.

Isn’t that the pre Bert Emmanuel rule?  He had possession but the nose of the ball touched the ground so no catch.  I’m fine with the Emmanuel rule.

Lebron
    Participant

Tomase basically cribbed the national talking points from this AM.  The Steelers can do this, they really really can! 

I’ll defer to Sinatra’s take on Sammy Davis Jr.’s book Yes I Can!  No you can’t.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

“Don’t you feel bad winning that way?” I don’t care if they won because Bane planted explosive concrete throughout Heinz Field. A win’s a win.

Tweet that please.

Sure, but on which accou-

I mean, yes, on the one Twitter account I use, that one. :ph34r:

If we hadn’t lost the Bot to #MAGA mission creep, he could have done that, too.  :dry:

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

You know, you’d think that Romo would be the analyst who would most be able to anticipate the no catch rule since he was the QB for the Dez Bryant no-catch game. Instead he’s five minutes late to the party.

Suzy
    Participant

Rollo. “But we learned something else during the 27-24 victory that that carries even greater significance — the Steelers are built to win the rematch.” They are legitimate, unlike Rollo’s spygate column. “But it’s as important a development as Duron Harmon’s game-ending interception, because for the first time in years, the Steelers represent a legitimate threat, and not simply a pretend one.” So the last one doesn’t count? Got it. “Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger made all of the throws except the last one,” It was really mentally tough when only one of the 4 receivers on the field during the last play actually ran a route John. “More importantly, the Steelers exhibited the mental toughness that usually separates New England from everyone else.” No flaws on the Pittsburgh’s however…. “As inspiring as the Patriots looked on Sunday, they remain a flawed team that too often relies on Brady’s magic to save them.”

The loathsome Rollo doesn’t get enough hate and scorn. He should have been blackballed and then whacked Vito Spatafore-style.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

This dink tweeted right after the game “By rule it is not a catch” Seems pretty cut and dry.

Today’s Pittsburgh Post-Gazette? Same guy says the league is in the bag for the Patriots:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/12/18/alberto-riveron-nfl-senior-vice-president-of-officiating-patriots-calls-jesse-james/stories/201712180138

He does make a good point however, that Ben and the coaches were just standing around during the replay delay and not planning in case the call was overturned. Still, a dink.

Suzy
    Participant

This dink tweeted right after the game “By rule it is not a catch” Seems pretty cut and dry. Today’s Pittsburgh Post-Gazette? Same guy says the league is in the bag for the Patriots: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/12/18/alberto-riveron-nfl-senior-vice-president-of-officiating-patriots-calls-jesse-james/stories/201712180138 He does make a good point however, that Ben and the coaches were just standing around during the replay delay and not planning in case the call was overturned. Still, a dink.

I saw that point made in a couple of places, actually, so he’s neither original nor intelligent. Just a dink.

Coma
    Participant

Rollo. “But we learned something else during the 27-24 victory that that carries even greater significance — the Steelers are built to win the rematch.” They are legitimate, unlike Rollo’s spygate column.

It’s been mentioned by Curran, here and elsewhere, but there’s a “glass half empty” view that Tomase would surely take if the Patriots and Steelers situations were reversed. The Steelers were at home, had the emotional lift of Shazier making an appearance and played a great game on offense. Their 3rd down conversions were great, they only went 3 and out once, and a guy like Bryant, who is usually good for a couple bad drops, caught everything that came his way.

So, these Steelers, who, despite their great play, could never extend to a 2 score lead and ultimately lost to the game, are going to go on the road and repeat that performance? It’s possible, but it’s more likely that they won’t be quite as sharp as they were yesterday and lose to the Patriots, again.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Why is it different if he’s a runnah and not a pass catcha?!? People really can’t get past the idea that you have to complete a catch/maintain possession as the primary requirement for a successful pass play vs. a runner who isn’t establishing possession. Of course these are the same people who regularly crank out half ass work and give the good enough, right boss? look daily.

My response to those people has been “If a receiver is in the end zone and the pass hits his hands and he bobbles it the entire time and then it hits the ground, is it a touchdown since he ‘broke the plane’ of the goal line even though he never really caught the ball?”

edit: Feej with this already

• This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by  BrianInLA.

Claude45
    Participant

Rollo. “But we learned something else during the 27-24 victory that that carries even greater significance — the Steelers are built to win the rematch.” They are legitimate, unlike Rollo’s spygate column.

It’s been mentioned by Curran, here and elsewhere, but there’s a “glass half empty” view that Tomase would surely take if the Patriots and Steelers situations were reversed. The Steelers were at home, had the emotional lift of Shazier making an appearance and played a great game on offense. Their 3rd down conversions were great, they only went 3 and out once, and a guy like Bryant, who is usually good for a couple bad drops, caught everything that came his way. So, these Steelers, who, despite their great play, could never extend to a 2 score lead and ultimately lost to the game, are going to go on the road and repeat that performance? It’s possible, but it’s more likely that they won’t be quite as sharp as they were yesterday and lose to the Patriots, again.

Especially if the history was reversed. “The Pats had their best shot and missed. Just like all the other years and they have no chance going back to Pitt in the playoffs.”

Lebron
    Participant

‘Schefty’ did a spot on the local radio and he’s terminally heartsick over Skipper’s exit.  Made his life possible paying him millions a year because he has a buddy on Park Ave. who texts him when a contract/decision/xrays come in.

I’d like to think all these ESPN people are shitting their pants over the next round of cuts supposedly next year.  Fox is at max employment so their only hope would be local tv or becoming a vet assistant.  Herm and Boone saw the writing on the wall.

RedSeat
    Participant

Today’s odd and sad moment, sponsored by MMQB. Including postseason, the only team with a winning record against Tom Brady is Denver. And unless they get their act together and win their division*, NE will not face them again until 2020. Does he have three more years in him? Or do we need the NFL schedule makers to wise up and schedule NE to play road games against every team, every year so that local fans get to see Tom Brady before he retires?

Bonus question: Five teams are right at 0.500. Name ’em. (I started this project to confirm that there are 18 teams with better records against TB than PIT. But yeah, next time will be different.)

*Technically Denver has to finish in the same position as NE, but, c’mon.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Brady is 7-6 against Denver, isn’t he? Or is that not including playoffs? For some reason I thought he was 6-6 before the game this year. I suppose I could just go look it up.

As for the other teams I’d have to guess they are all NFC teams with something like a 1-1 or 2-2 record.

Lebron
    Participant

If you include the post season I think he’s .500 against the Giants – beat them in ’03/’07/’15 regular seasons lost the 2 Soupeys and the ’11 game in Foxboro.  Packers maybe?  Lost at home in ’02 beat ’em in ’06 and ’10 lost in Lambeau ’14.  Panthers?  Wanna say beat them in ’01, beat them in the Soupey lost in ’05 won in ’09 lost on that abominable call in ’13 and earlier this year.  I can’t think of any AFC teams that he would be .500 against save for being worse against Denver.  Without looking I’m blanking.  Cardinals is a stab. That fucked up kick a few years back at home, last year’s game was a Jimmy G game.  Was the snow game a Cassel game, has he only played them twice?

InThisTown
    Participant

If you include the post season I think he’s .500 against the Giants – beat them in ’03/’07/’15 regular seasons lost the 2 Soupeys and the ’11 game in Foxboro. Packers maybe? Lost at home in ’02 beat ’em in ’06 and ’10 lost in Lambeau ’14. Panthers? Wanna say beat them in ’01, beat them in the Soupey lost in ’05 won in ’09 lost on that abominable call in ’13 and earlier this year. I can’t think of any AFC teams that he would be .500 against save for being worse against Denver. Without looking I’m blanking. Cardinals is a stab. That fucked up kick a few years back at home, last year’s game was a Jimmy G game. Was the snow game a Cassel game, has he only played them twice?

Yeah 04 was early, week 2 or 3. A couple of TDs to Danny Graham.

RedSeat
    Participant

If you include the post season I think he’s .500 against the Giants – beat them in ’03/’07/’15 regular seasons lost the 2 Soupeys and the ’11 game in Foxboro. Packers maybe? Lost at home in ’02 beat ’em in ’06 and ’10 lost in Lambeau ’14. Panthers? Wanna say beat them in ’01, beat them in the Soupey lost in ’05 won in ’09 lost on that abominable call in ’13 and earlier this year. I can’t think of any AFC teams that he would be .500 against save for being worse against Denver. Without looking I’m blanking. Cardinals is a stab. That fucked up kick a few years back at home, last year’s game was a Jimmy G game. Was the snow game a Cassel game, has he only played them twice?

NYG, GB, CAR, AZ are all correct. SEA is the other one.

Only 1-1 vs. AZ, thanks to the injury and suspension years syncing up.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

“Don’t you feel bad winning that way?” I don’t care if they won because Bane planted explosive concrete throughout Heinz Field. A win’s a win.

Tweet that please.

Sure, but on which accou- I mean, yes, on the one Twitter account I use, that one. :ph34r: If we hadn’t lost the Bot to #MAGA mission creep, he could have done that, too. :dry:

UPDATE: Props to the Bot; they did retweet this sentiment.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Dan Quinn still doesn’t know how to use his challenges.

chicowalker
    Participant

remember when some fanz were up in arms that Indiana only got Oladipo and Sabonis for one year of George?   :dry: what a game

Viewing 34 posts - 101 through 134 (of 134 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar