Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 12/18/2017 Daily Thread

This topic contains 133 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  chicowalker 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 134 total)
  • Author

Claude45
    Participant

Big Jim Worry yesterday on the Patriots in house pregame show predicted the following.

• Brady retiring at the end of the year
    • Pats lose to Buffalo in the Wild Card Round
    • Big Ben would throw for over 500 yards
    • Bell would have a combined over 400 yards
    • The Pats have no chance. Not that he thought they would lose, but they had NO CHANCE!

Not predictions but he followed up with these nuggets.

• He trusts the Jacksonville Jaguars more than the Pats to win right now
    • The Pats stink

Lil Jon really knows how to pick em!! The pre and post game house organ show is my favorite hate listen. It really makes me feel good about my football knowledge an life in general.

BrianInLA
    Participant

ESPN president John Skipper to resign over substance abuse problems. The Deflategate karma tour continues to roll on.

*i have no idea if he was president during deflategate but that doesn’t matter to me.

Rickkyboy
    Participant

“This is gonna stand,” said Tony Romo on CBS. “There is no doubt it is going to hold up,” said Jim Nantz. 😆

They just gave it the first look, which looked like a catch, then immediately assumed the issue was that James was or wasn’t touched before he went into the end zone. …they kept saying that as us folks at home could see the ball being bobbled. 🙂 It took Romo nearly a minute before he figured out what was going on.

Mrs RB decided to take the dogs out right as the pass was seemingly caught. Typically at tense situations she leaves the room/gym (kids games).  :lol:

Comes back in and we are explaining it was an inc pass.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Rickkyboy.

chicowalker
    Participant

I want excruciating detail!  I’m picturing the 12 like this

Participant

Pats/Steelers was not on in SEA, so I went to a bar to watch the game. Wound up sitting next to a group of young guys from the South Shore, so that was fun. As you can imagine, the place was full of Seahawk fanz. Most left before halftime, and I may have commented about passing on watching the 2nd half like Carroll and Wilson. One guy in particular – wearing a 12 FAN Seahawks jersey – gave us shit when the Steelers scored before halftime, and got louder and more obnoxious as the game went on. I won’t go into excruciating detail, but the James catch/review/incompletion, clutch Butler tackle inbounds, and Rowe/Harmon INT drove him to take a swing at me and was thrown out of the place after I asked him if he had a worse day than Roethlisberger’s bathroom date. It was a good day.

I was certainly thinking of you as Todd Gurley scored his 4th touchdown early in the 3rd quarter. The 12’s look dunn.

It’s the Seahawks and the ’85 Bears battling it out as the greatest one soupy dynasty ever assembled…..

Lebron
    Participant

On the 2 point conversion, Gronk definitely considered picking up the Steelers defender & spiking him, before deciding to merely point and laugh. Lesson learned.

A couple of weeks ago the Pats end zone celebrations weren’t up to code and now they’ve gone to far. 😆

Schuster Smith re-enacted his Burfict hit/standing over him celebration on his TD.  Probably practiced that all week.  Meanwhile the Patriots practiced defending a deceptive spike play. Boring!

Suzy
    Participant

Collinsworth must be hearing all the praise for Romo because last night he was more obnoxious than usual trying to describe what was going on on the field and getting most of it wrong. Usually its just fluff from him but he was trying to sound like he was able to read what the defense was going to be and was wrong pretty much all of the time. He sucks. Badly.

Wow, great observation, Brian! HaHaHa Chris is afraid of/intimidated by Romo, that’s beautiful. 

Kingasaurus
    Participant

The precision mismatch in the NFL pisses me off. They measure the first down to the width of a piece of paper but set the chains by looking down the field from 25 yards to the side and then move the ball between every play. No way any of the preceding 3 spots were accurate to within a few inches so how can they make that measurement?

A big part of football is the precise measurement of an arbitrary spot. Weird and dumb, but there’s no way around it.

chicowalker
    Participant

Romo should buy Football Outsiders or something like that.

Rickkyboy
    Participant

The precision mismatch in the NFL pisses me off. They measure the first down to the width of a piece of paper but set the chains by looking down the field from 25 yards to the side and then move the ball between every play. No way any of the preceding 3 spots were accurate to within a few inches so how can they make that measurement?

A big part of football is the precise measurement of an arbitrary spot. Weird and dumb, but there’s no way around it.

Microchip the ball.  :rollseyes:

Goodell is paid $40mil/yr and cant figure this stuff out?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Rickkyboy.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

“Don’t you feel bad winning that way?”

I don’t care if they won because Bane planted explosive concrete throughout Heinz Field. A win’s a win.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

BrianInLA
    Participant

Headline on front page of Yahoo: Ref’s cost Steelers a win thanks to NFL Catch Rule.

If its the rule how exactly did the ref’s cost them a win?

Uh, how about Rapist cost Steelers a win by throwing into triple coverage when a FG sends the game to OT?

Kevin
    Participant

I know we’re all sunshine and rainbows today, but if you haven’t seen Jay Cutler’s airmailed picks yesterday yet, go check it out. That really was his Super Bowl last week.

Participant

Manish is taking this well…..

“That was great,” Brady said. “That was a lot of fun.”

Yeah, great fun. Maybe the NFL can reinstitute the Tuck Rule too.

Suzy
    Participant

Headline on front page of Yahoo: Ref’s cost Steelers a win thanks to NFL Catch Rule. If its the rule how exactly did the ref’s cost them a win? Uh, how about Rapist cost Steelers a win by throwing into triple coverage when a FG sends the game to OT?

USA Today and a few others had similar headlines yesterday.

“Refs call rule correctly, cost team win”

They’re supposed to be educating idiots who don’t understand what the call was and why, but the morons don’t get it themselves.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Headline on front page of Yahoo: Ref’s cost Steelers a win thanks to NFL Catch Rule. If its the rule how exactly did the ref’s cost them a win? Uh, how about Rapist cost Steelers a win by throwing into triple coverage when a FG sends the game to OT?

I think Franco Harris agrees with the refs.

Lebron
    Participant

Spilled milk alert.

Get in that ass?

InThisTown
    Participant

“Don’t you feel bad winning that way?” I don’t care if they won because Bane planted explosive concrete throughout Heinz Field. A win’s a win.

Tweet that please.

InThisTown
    Participant

I want excruciating detail! I’m picturing the 12 like this

Oh an observation huh? Well who the hell are you man? Almost a Coach Bedard? Well guess what genius I’m the one deconstructing your takes motherfucker. You got a problem with that?

Claude45
    Participant

Also Pete Kings favorite ref using a folded up piece of paper to screw the Raiders last night has to be touched on at some point, no? Even from the close up of the camera you could see it wasn’t a first down but somehow a folded up piece of paper hitting both the ball and the stick makes it a first down? Collinsworth said it was stupid and then of course mocked “all the scientists who will call in just like after deflate-gate…”.

Many years ago I was local football official doing high school and pop warner games. I was a linesman and on one of my first games, the veteran referee gave me the following instructions before a pop warner game. “You decide if it’s a first down or not. Then you come in and spot it a half yard either side of the stick. If I have do a measurement today, I’ll be pissed.”

Same guy in  different home game for East Boston. We were on a field out by the airport and it was windy, rainy and freezing. The ref keeps the clock on his watch. We run off at half time and it seemed quick to me but no complaints. A league official came up and asked the ref how 3o minutes of clock time took 24 minutes real time (times are approximate, it was a long time ago but we bent the space time continuum).

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Claude45.

Lebron
    Participant

Pete refers to Pittsburgh as a ‘heartsick’ city.  Last week Philadelphia was ‘terminally heartbroken.’  He’s such a shitty writer.

Suzy
    Participant

Spilled milk alert.

Get in that ass?

Lefty

On Romo slowly turning from complete assurance the James catch would be upheld as a TD to a question of completion of the catch going to the ground, I was convinced at the time that someone in his ear was telling him that was the reason for the review and Romo took the info and worked it in as his own.    That’s his job, so no problem with it, I just don’t think he had some sort of “a-ha” moment on his own.

chicowalker
    Participant

Pete refers to Pittsburgh as a ‘heartsick’ city. Last week Philadelphia was ‘terminally heartbroken.’ He’s such a shitty writer.

From a medical perspective…

Lebron
    Participant

The Southern ethos Richardson imbued in his company, and the outwardly gentlemanly and formal way he ran his team, fits with the corporate and civic community in the Carolinas. The former Panthers employee said he wouldn’t have been surprised if Richardson stayed if, for instance, Bank of America would have fought to take its corporate name off the stadium. No corporate community likes scandal, obviously, and particularly no corporate community in the South.

So what, he wore a suit and formally asked broads if they would give him a foot massage or if he could shave them?  Didn’t realize the South has a unique and particular disdain for scandal in its corporate community.  I do declare!

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 134 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar