Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 12/2-12/8/2019 Weekly Discussion Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Here’s a thing I’ve been wondering about the strategy a coach should employ for NBA’s version of Instant Replay Challenges. Coaches only get 1 challenge in a game whether right or wrong, unlike the NFL where successful challenges buy you extra challenges. I’ve heard coaches lambasted for using challenges early in a game rather than saving it for critical moments. Gameplaywise, does it matter? You can only swing a game by 2 or 3 points with a challenge. As a coach, if a call happens in the first five minutes of a game which you think is 90% likely to be overturned if challenged, should you challenge it? Is that better than saving a challenge until late in the game, where you might not ever get a clear overturnable call?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    chicowalker
    Participant

I think you save it and take a chance. That said, if you look at the stats, challenges are much less successful in the 4th qtr vs earlier

https://ak-static.cms.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2019/12/Season-totals-to-date-2.pdf

Lebron
    Participant

My only thought would be the challenge would have more impact later in a close game.  Since you only get 1 it seems to make sense to use it wisely but when the play might account for 2% or less of your scoring who knows.  You probably use it if you think it’s blatantly bad.  The other thing is to overcome this idea that if you don’t use the challenge you somehow are doing it wrong.  Tennis is a great example, you’ll get guys/gals that just say fuck it challenge it I have like 5 of these to use so why not.  There’s no ‘penalty’ if you are wrong like in football where you lose a timeout.  In football the max you can have is 3 challenges, you get the first 2 correct then you are awarded a 3rd but of course you also have to manage the timeouts.  Tennis they are just throwaways, use them or lose them.  Then again the review process is very quick as well as very public.

Basketball will always have the issue of rewarding penalties.  Foul someone and the clock stops and the other team has to either pass it in which you can defend or shoot/make free throws which you can rebound the miss or get the ball right back if they make both.  I wouldn’t mind seeing runoffs or some sort, like even 3 seconds or 5 seconds.  In closer games that at least gives incentive to actually defend rather than just foul.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Re. Challenges, whatever Peter King thinks is FAIR is fine with me.

:weei:

Coma
    Participant

Eli may start for the Giants this week. I’ll be rooting for the Eagles to push his career record below .500.

With regard to using the challenge in the NBA, I have no idea what the correct strategy is. Instinctively, I would say that saving it for late game situations is the way to go. However, I remember watching the Celtics back in college and one of the guys in our dorm was a little more intense than the rest of us. If a Boston player missed an open layup or jumper, he would get visibly upset. Once, I mentioned that the game was only 5 minutes old and his response was “Yeah, but every point counts!” In theory, if you use a challenge in the 1st quarter and it results in points for your team or takes points away from the opposition, maybe the one possession game situation at the end of the 4th quarter never happens.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Eli may start for the Giants this week. I’ll be rooting for the Eagles to push his career record below .500.

That would be good; let’s add a couple of pick-sixes and a season- and career-ending broken collarbone for the Patriots Slayer to the wish list.

Only downside to that is the Eagles get a W.  By the way, has Philadelphia’s or New York’s or Dallas’s Shank (it’s a lazy-ass-overrated-columnist franchise, isn’t it?) penned any articles about how pitiful and full of tomato cans® the NFC East is this year?

Lebron
    Participant

I love how the Jags extended Bortles and then cut his ass, now they signed Foles and appear done with him as well.  Foles is like the Bret Saberhagen of quarterbacks, good every other year or something like that.

jforb
    Participant

This Bobby Jenks story is insane.

Coma
    Participant

I forgot the other negative legacy Eli is pursuing: Most regular season losses by a QB. He’s at 116 now, so he won’t catch Testaverde (123) no matter what happens this season. We all think of how bad Testaverde was in Tampa Bay, but Manning has one more season with double digit losses (4) than Vinnie does. All four of those seasons took place after Eli’s 2nd Super Bowl win, so there was probably a reluctance to sit him down, no matter how poorly he was playing.

As for the Eagles, the year they won the Super Bowl, they were 3rd in the league at converting 4th down attempts (17/26, 65.4%) while their opponents were 22.2% successful (4/18.) The next season, Philadelphia’s success rate dropped a little to 60.9% (10th in the league), while their opponents jumped to 57.9%. This year, their 4th down success rate has plummeted to 31.6% (27th) while opposing teams convert at 66.7%. Pederson’s strategy of taking risks looked great when they were paying off. He’s not the brilliant reinventor of the game, though, when the breaks don’t go his way. In the short term, he deserves credit. His team played well, got hot, his gambles paid off while his opponent’s didn’t and he road that to a championship. Unfortunately (or fortunately, for the rest of us), you can’t depend on “luck” for two seasons in a row.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

This is bizarre. I’ve tried to respond to the Bobby Jenks post twice and it doesn’t show up.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Link to the aforementioned Jenks story; https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/bobby-jenks-baseball-scar-tissue

If they treat a millionaire ballplayer like that, they’re doing it to everyone.

jforb
    Participant

This is bizarre. I’ve tried to respond to the Bobby Jenks post twice and it doesn’t show up.

Wordpress!

Lebron
    Participant

I’ve sent that Jenks story to 3 people.  That’s fucking bananas

Lefty

I’ve sent that Jenks story to 3 people. That’s fucking bananas

I wonder if the second person being operated on ever knew about this weird set up and how their surgery came out.   Would suck if they ended up screwed up, too, but never knew about it because they didn’t have the resources to look into it or the know how to sue.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

In our minds a surgeon is painstakingly focused on you in a quiet room at an unhurried pace, not having patients piling up like Lucy Ricardo in the conveyor belt episode.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

This place may be dying, but at least it outlasted Mike Fucking Francesa’s show on The Fan.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Humphrey
    Participant

I’m happy my local high school won its Super Bowl matchup after Shank declared he was rooting against anyone who tanked it on Thanksgiving. Which after a quarter, they did, not that any sane coach would have too.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Humphrey.
    jforb
    Participant

Nice of Wisconsin to show up for the second half :ozzy:

Yahtzee
    Participant

Saints-Niners is a fun watch.

NASCL
    Participant

Anyone got an extra set of shoulder pads?  Asking for a franchise.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

How will this end up being the Patriots’ fault?

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Should I be loving the Texans getting blown out by Denver or angry that the Pats couldn’t hang with them last week?

Coma
    Participant

Should I be loving the Texans getting blown out by Denver or angry that the Pats couldn’t hang with them last week?

The Ravens are the exception over this year and last, but it looks like the Texans are joining the club of teams who beat the Patriots and had s significant letdown the next week.

Humphrey
    Participant

The chiefs luggage got shopped to a Mr E Adams

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Not sure why people are booing. Any rationale fan saw this coming. I’m sure radio has been telling fanz all year this team sucked.

Play calling/personnel has not changed to adjust for the fact that the team cannot move the ball playing this same way.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar