Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 12/23/19-12/29/19 Weekly Thread Holiday Edition

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

You gotta be kidding me…

Get more out of your Globe subscription: Sign up to text with Patriots writer Ben Volin during the NFL playoffs. Click here to learn more.

Volin will offer exclusive commentary, insight and analysis on the Patriots, sent directly to your phone a few times a week during the playoffs.

Sure, it sounds like Twitter, but there’s one big difference: This isn’t about sharing links to stories or play-by-play of a Patriots game. It’s about sharing insider information, offering a preview of what Volin is working on and gathering ideas about what you want to know about the NFL.

Sounds like a lot of texts of Volin looking for his mittens.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Rickkyboy
    Participant

How many things can ppl complain about this past win?

A win against a quality team, contained a mobile QB. Seems like the team is starting to peak at the right time.

Oh F it. we haven’t earned anything and the league should ban us from the playoffs for Spygate II. :dry:

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Nick B
    Participant

Participant

:pk: is up

chicowalker
    Participant

I was so affected by the weekend, and by what New Orleans was going through, that I bought four Saints season tickets before I left town. Those decisions boosted an entire region.

I’ll be charitable and assume the final sentence is referring more to Brees, Payton, etc than his purchase of tickets.  If so, it’s written far too awkwardly for a professional writer.  Of course, it may be properly written and he is taking credit..

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by chicowalker.

Fatty lists about five DPOY year candidates (including Jones), then says “and maybe Stephon Gilmore”. :ozzy:

You’d think the most ubiquitous writer in the league might have tried to clue himself in to why the Patriots have the league’s top defense.

The 28 points the Pats gave up by other means are hurting this defense’s standing. Otherwise, they’d easily surpass the ’85 Bears’ PPG mark. They had no shot at the ’00 Ravens mark, though.

Lebron
    Participant

Pete is saying he bought 4 season tickets? What was buying 4 season tickets supposed to accomplish?

Pete is all in on Carson Wentz and the Eagles.  I’d laugh my ass off if they lose next week and the Cows get in.

Ravens are like 93 yards short of  New England’s 1978 single season team rushing record. I assume they’ll surpass it even without Jackson and Ingram.

Participant

Pete’s column is basically the airing of the grievances 40 some odd weeks a year.

Participant

Never change men of Weeb Ewbank Hall.

The most notable adjustment has been Gase’s handling of press conferences this year. At least one influential person in the organization told Gase early in the season he needed to get his act together and not bristle at questions that he didn’t like, the News has learned.”

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Because I was bored, I copied the stats of every player drafted in the 10’s decade on Pro Football Reference and summed up the cumulative CarAV stat of the players drafted by each franchise. The 2019 stats won’t be input for a while, but so far the Patriots are 2nd out of 32 in terms of cumulative CarAV drafted this decade.

Seattle was first, garnering both quantity and quality. Both NY teams were last.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

Asking for a coach, who’s Ines Kanter?

Yahtzee
    Participant

I didn’t remember Old Man Gower giving George his suitcase.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Why don’t you kiss her instead of talking her to death?

Yahtzee
    Participant

Out you 2 pixies!

Coma
    Participant

Alternate history Mr. Gower’s shirt is stuffed with newspaper. I never noticed that before.

Mark
    Participant

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Merry Christmas basementonians!

328 Chauncey St
    Participant

Merry Christmas basementonians!

And a Merry Christmas to you, FSF…..IN JAIL!!

5 users thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

That description of Smart’s eye :puke:

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Apologies if this is something obvious everyone knows about, but:

Just noticed a time problem in IAWL I don’t remember seeing before. How the heck does Bert the cop meet George on the snowy bridge, then have enough time to drive to the airport in a blizzard to drive Harry back to George’s house? I know he’s in a cop car but the weather is terrible. From George running back from the bridge to the friends and neighbors showing up with the money seems like a pretty short amount of time.

Coma
    Participant

Because I was bored, I copied the stats of every player drafted in the 10’s decade on Pro Football Reference and summed up the cumulative CarAV stat of the players drafted by each franchise. The 2019 stats won’t be input for a while, but so far the Patriots are 2nd out of 32 in terms of cumulative CarAV drafted this decade.

Seattle was first, garnering both quantity and quality. Both NY teams were last.

Was the margin close between Seattle and New England? I mean, if the Patriots had been able to draft a starter in  the first round of the 2016 draft, would they be ahead of the Seahawks or still second?

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Ohmigod WordPress is killing me. The long response I wrote to Coma’s question is lost. Here’s a shorter version:

No, Seattle lapped the field, basically, excelling in quantity and quality of picks. That said, Seattle and New England to a lesser extent are rewarded in this analysis in killing drafts in the early part of the decade which garner more years of stats than the more recent years. Repeating this analysis in later years will change the rankings bumping up teams who’ve drafted well recently. I’m much happier with the productivity of recent drafts than the hottakers out there (aside from 2017, a year in which they traded away much of their draft capital). I’ve no doubt that NE ultimately finished top ten in the long run, probably top five.

I’m happy to share the spreadsheet with anyone. DM me if interested.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

That includes value players playing for other teams, so including Jimmy and Jacoby and whoever else? Actually, Jimmy may not have played that much. How much of Seattle is Wilson?

Participant

“In all likelihood, the Patriots will get their coveted, hard-earned, first-round bye. Then they’ll have to beat the Chiefs at home, and the Ravens on the road to get to Super Bowl LIV in Miami Gardens, just 73 miles south of Orchids of Asia.”

The Patriots play their home games in Foxborough, just 22 miles south of the Brookline Police HQ

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar