Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 12/3/18 – On any given Sunday …

This topic contains 46 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Yahtzee 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 47 posts - 1 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Giants win.
    Steelers undisciplined in loss.
    Pats win despite questionable officiating calls.

One of these things is not like the other.

Oh, and rush out to check Bob Ryan’s baseball hall of fame ballot.

Fatty talking about the Kareem Hunt investigative efforts:

One of the front-office people in the league I trust the most, a veteran team operative who’s been in the league longer than I’ve covered it, suggested that to me Saturday. If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.

:blink: He is so bad at this.

2 users thanked author for this post.

More Fatty:

On the biggest play of the fourth quarter in New Jersey on Sunday, Bears coach Matt Nagy called a reverse to Tarik Cohen, and a touchdown pass from Cohen toAnthony Millerthat forced overtime against the Giants. That’s something the Packers need.

Yes, the Packers need somebody who’ll call gadget plays that take the ball out of the hands of their best player.

8 users thanked author for this post.

It’s just where his mind goes with things:

Friday was day 65 waiting for a heart transplant. The guy next door on his floor got a heart and kidney the other day, and Millen was happy. I asked him if he had heart envy when a neighbor on the floor got one, and he said hell no—he hopes they all get theirs.

“Do you feel like he got the heart you deserve?”

Fucking self-entitled ghoul.

Participant

Never seen a squad go offside on 3 straight fg attempts.

Maybe the fg team should take the field in their training camp arrival model t’s?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

If only Myron Cope were still alive to witness last night’s game.  :lol:

3. Todd Gurley, RB, L.A. Rams.Last week: Not ranked.I continue to vacillate between Gurley and Jared Goff and maybe eventually Aaron Donald. But another huge day for Gurley—26 touches, 165 yards, two more touchdowns—puts him back in the running.

If you’re not even sure he’s the best player on his own team, how can he be listed here in the top five MVP candidates, and not have the others listed at all?

Feejis
    Participant

We’re so civilized here now. Thanking each other for posts and whatnot.

Coma
    Participant

I apologize if I’m infringing on anyone’s gimmick, but I also have a couple of PK FMIA quotes:

The Chiefs heard the report and coach Andy Reid called him to ask about it. Hunt denied he did anything wrong. He denied it again when the story came up again.

The first two sentences refer to February, right after the incident in the hotel. When did the second denial in the last sentence take place? Would it kill PK to include something like “at the beginning of training camp” to provide a timeline?

Imagine Hunt thinking he can bury this. Not much can be buried today, particularly if you’re a local guy, a big star who just led the NFL in rushing.

Hunt’s a 23 year old in his second year in the NFL. It’s pretty easy to imagine someone in that situation thinking everything might just go away. My main reason for reading that section of King’s column was to see if this was the incident where he finally had enough stopped carrying water for the league. Not surprisingly, it wasn’t. How about “Imagine Clark Hunt and Andy Reid thinking they can bury this” or “Imagine Goodell and his minions thinking they can bury this“? Nope, that’s all on the youngest person involved. The team and the league? There’s no way they could have any influence on a situation like this.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

King is such a sloppy writer that his quote could be read as “an official of the league I trust most” meaning he trusts the NFL more than any other league.
    Freudian slip?

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Unless he intends to say that the Packers need a coach.

Which is true, but I doubt that was his intent.

God, I thought I’d sworn off mentally copy editing buffoon writers after wading through the sludge that is Sunday Cafardo.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Mustard has retired from the Wellesley school system?

Can there be a Mustard-Tanguay show in development?

It would give the board a plethora of material.

jforb
    Participant

King is such a sloppy writer that his quote could be read as “an official of the league I trust most” meaning he trusts the NFL more than any other league.

Freudian slip?

I didn’t even read it the correct way until you pointed that out.

Suzy
    Participant

Friday was day 65 waiting for a heart transplant. The guy next door on his floor got a heart and kidney the other day, and Millen was happy. I asked him if he had heart envy when a neighbor on the floor got one, and he said hell no—he hopes they all get theirs.

:lol:

That’s unreal. Fat creepy slob projecting and has no idea.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Let me say that I am thankful for every post here that craps all over Peter King.

Participant

Whatever you say Odell…..

“Sometimes somebody makes a better play than you do,” Beckham said. “I could dive in there and still not get the ball. So it was a very tough call. Nobody should ever question my effort or my heart. That’s the last thing you can do. You can question me as a person, as a man, whatever you want to do. But my heart and my effort can never be questioned, ever.”

4 users thanked author for this post.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Whatever you say Odell…..

“Sometimes somebody makes a better play than you do,” Beckham said. “I could dive in there and still not get the ball. So it was a very tough call. Nobody should ever question my effort or my heart. That’s the last thing you can do. You can question me as a person, as a man, whatever you want to do. But my heart and my effort can never be questioned, ever.”

Which means that your heart and effort are separate from you as a person and a man.

Doesn’t that hurt your brain? It hurts mine.

Lebron
    Participant

Mahomes saying ‘we don’t do those things’ in regard to Hunt, you mean you don’t slap women in general or you don’t slap non pregnant women that you don’t know?  Because the guy you’re throwing a ton of passes to likes slapping.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Suzy
    Participant

Mahomes saying ‘we don’t do those things’ in regard to Hunt, you mean you don’t slap women in general or you don’t slap non pregnant women that you don’t know? Because the guy you’re throwing a ton of passes to likes slapping.

Yeah, maybe the kid should stfu and just do his thing. God I love BB.

chicowalker
    Participant

Speaking of Mustard and Johnson, they had a caller this weekend from South Carolina.  Mustard did his thing where he welcomed him and tried to relate (“we just saw Clemson up here against BC..”) when it was clear he knew nothing about the team or the sport.  LJ just yelled “Dabo Swinney!”  and nothing else…the poor guy was shook :lol:

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

:lol:

That’s unreal. Fat creepy slob projecting and has no idea.

Absolutely shocked Peter didn’t go with the inappropriate “heavy heart” metaphor here.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Nick B
    Participant

Unless its happened, my money is on Felger saying it was crap for BB to say what he did to Thielan.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

We’re so civilized here now. Thanking each other for posts and whatnot.

I tried to jokingly reply to someone “minus one” yesterday. The system forbid it, saying it looked like spam.

Big Brother is here!

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Finally getting to Ryan’s HoF vote column, and it’s pretty much the standard-issue old time baseball writer filler. Fake heated tromping on the well-trod ground of “where I stand on PED-linked players.” Cut-and-paste regurgitations of various nominees’ stats to inflate the word count.  More public agonizing. Limp “here’s who I’m voting for” conclusion.

The experience made me fully realize what these columns — from Ryan and Buckley and McAdam and Shank and other points of light — are really all about:

I have a vote for the Baseball Hall of Fame. Cooperstown. The ability to decide and anoint who lives as One of The Greatest Ever henceforth.

You don’t.

But you wouldn’t really want it. Because of all the hard work that goes into being a voter:

1.)  Become a member of the BBWAA*

2.)  Watch lots of baseball games for free. From prized Press Box seating. Free food and drink.

3.) Churn out game re-caps for a couple of years waiting for someone to die/retire so you can move to columnist. No more full schedule of  games (that’s the beat writer’s job).

4.)  Practice for the big gig by dragging your readers (your employer assumes that you have those) through your travails when tasked with voting for League awards – Cy Young, Manager, and Rookie of the Year. Write column to heighten readers’ awareness of the awesome responsibility you’re compelled to wield for the good of the game.

4.)  Last long enough to achieve HoF voting status.
    5.)  Write one a year lengthy introspective monologue about the burdens of history that you must bear. Mention everyone on the ballot. Insert baseball-reference.com recaps of each one’s career. Wring hands over your infinitely tortured decision process.

6.)  Begin a campaign to have your colleagues vote you into their Pee-Wee’s Playhouse Hall of Fame which is located in some proximity to the Baseball Hall of Fame.  Quick Suggestion: Why should BBWAA members decide the HoF fate of both actual players AND their own cohort? If they vote on the players, shouldn’t someone else vote for the Writers/Broadcasters hall?  Personally, I’d love to write (and perhaps I will) a column masticating over the relative place in the dim firmament of sports journalists  :rollseyes:   of  Ryan or Buckley or Pete Abe or Nickles. Might even throw in a straw man to attract clicks: Shank. (“Should room service white wine be looked at as a writer’s PED?”)

7.) I’m pretty sure I worked harder on this post than Ryan did in his reveal that he’s voting for Mariano Rivera.

* Full Disclosure: I think that’s the acronym for the national organization, Baseball Writers Association of America. If not, I blame the Copy Desk.

7 users thanked author for this post.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Unless its happened, my money is on Felger saying it was crap for BB to say what he did to Thielan.

I hope he uses the term “hissy fit.”

Because that describes all 4 hours of Felger & Mazz.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Sometimes this board and life intersect.  Yesterday, at a party watching the Pats-Vikings’ game, one of the late-arriving guests came into the room and announced, “I’m actually rooting for the Vikings. I’m bored with the Patriots, and Tom Brady.”  And here’s the weird thing: no one shat on him because this guy had had a heart transplant in July at MGH!   :lol: :lol:

Maybe HE got the heart that Millen “deserved.” :lol:

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Did I say something about Shank’s raison d’etre being promoting his latest tired, unimaginative and highly unmemorable catch-phrase?

DAN SHAUGHNESSY

//c.o0bg.com/rf/image_90x90/Boston/2011-2020/2013/10/06/BostonGlobe.com/Sports/Images/shaughnessy_20131006.jpgThe Patriots were Tomato Cans at one point, even under Bill Belichick

Belichick was 5-13 in his first 18 games in Foxborough, and he was 41-57 as an NFL coach. He was a loser.

jforb
    Participant

Finally getting to Ryan’s HoF vote column, and it’s pretty much the standard-issue old time baseball writer filler. Fake heated tromping on the well-trod ground of “where I stand on PED-linked players.” Cut-and-paste regurgitations of various nominees’ stats to inflate the word count. More public agonizing. Limp “here’s who I’m voting for” conclusion.

Found it interesting that Pettitte wasn’t in the PED list. Didn’t get much into him in the column to know where he stood otherwise though.

Mid-morning show, Minneapolis, after a loss:

“I’m not ready to blame the playcalling, because there’s more that goes into it than the fans are aware of.”

Mid-morning show, Boston (Keefe), after a win:

“Something’s definitely wrong with Gronk.”

Participant

“It’s pretty heavy that McNair, the Texans owner, died on Nov. 23, and Bush, the 41st president, died exactly seven days later. Both in Houston.”

An 81 year old and a 94 year old never die within a week of one another Pete – ever.

7 users thanked author for this post.

“It’s pretty heavy that McNair, the Texans owner, died on Nov. 23, and Bush, the 41st president, died exactly seven days later. Both in Houston.”

An 81 year old and a 94 year old never die within a week of one another Pete – ever.

Yeah, but in Houston! Two old guys never die within a week of each other in Houston!

Participant

Than that monster Jalen reached into Luck’s facemask, touched his nose and using his middle and forefinger told Andrew “I’ve got your nose.”

“How bush league is Jalen Ramsey? Approached Andrew Luck when Luck was on the ground after a scramble. Ramsey held his hand out, as if to offer to help him up. Luck went to take his hand, and Ramsey yanked it back. What a chump.”

Suzy
    Participant

“It’s pretty heavy that McNair, the Texans owner, died on Nov. 23, and Bush, the 41st president, died exactly seven days later. Both in Houston.”

“It’s pretty heavy” :lol:

Participant

“I think you’ve got to lasso Michael Irvin, NFL Network. I know him, and I like him, but even on the NFL’s channel, there’s got to be some modicum of professionalism”

And do what with the Playmaker after you “lasso” him Pete?

chicowalker
    Participant

Do you think Pete knows that Adams and Jefferson died on the same day, AND that day was the 4th of July? :ohmy:   :pk:   :ohmy:    19th century Pete, in between MeadNerdness and complaining about the guy sitting next to him in the carriage ‘twixt Albany and New Rochelle would have the vapors

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  chicowalker.
    8 users thanked author for this post.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Than that monster Jalen reached into Luck’s facemask, touched his nose and using his middle and forefinger told Andrew “I’ve got your nose.”

“How bush league is Jalen Ramsey? Approached Andrew Luck when Luck was on the ground after a scramble. Ramsey held his hand out, as if to offer to help him up. Luck went to take his hand, and Ramsey yanked it back. What a chump.”

That is chump behavior. Especially from a guy who spent his off season running his mouth and PTT for the Super Bowl.

chicowalker
    Participant

Thanking someone for a post feels like madam Jones’ (before he had his true spindly troll legs underneath him) old “I appreciate the phone call”.  I don’t like it.  In fact, I’d like to assign a negative integer to this new feature, and, perhaps, if enough of you agreed, the compilation of several of these negative integers would offer, at minimum, clear visual evidence that this new feature is unpopular.  I demand more for my $0 per year.

Turd Furguson
    Participant

Is it wrong that I’m rooting for the Chargers to overtake the Chiefs in the AFC West despite feeling like they’d be the tougher opponent?

jforb
    Participant

Depends on if you think Mahomes is good enough to overcome Reid’s traditional choke job.

Coma
    Participant

I’ll be happy to be wrong, but it looks like the hubbub about Kareem Hunt is subsiding with whatever outcry there was about the league’s handling of the situation amounting to nothing. As you would expect, people contrasted the NFL’s dealing with anything Patriots related to their approach with Hunt, like this Michael McCann tweet (link).

The people who disagreed with McCann/defended the league had two main arguments: 1. The football inflation “issue” affected the integrity of the game (real people believe this) and is something that is within the league’s scope. 2. The NFL isn’t a law enforcement agency and can’t compel people to testify or turn over evidence.

The first point might have merit if the NFL had cared about the inflation level of a football before or after January, 2015. There are examples before and after the game in question where the league has shrugged or ignored actual football tampering. Picking and choosing when a guideline is applied is the opposite of integrity.

The second argument would carry more weight if the league hadn’t declared that they would be more involved domestic violence and crimes committed by NFL players. No one made the NFL state that they would be a “leader in the domestic violence space” or hire an ex-NYC prosecutor and a former ATF director to help with player conduct investigations or create an Office of Strategic Security. If an organization does all this (and pays all these additional people they’ve hired) and still half-asses their investigations, they’re open for criticism.

Apparently, the hotel would only turn over the security footage to the police and the police didn’t deem the incident serious enough to request the tapes. I find it hard to believe that the NFL, with all of it’s connections and influence, couldn’t come to some arrangement where the police would request the security footage and allow an NFL investigator to watch it. In return, the league could provide items for a police charity auction or make a contribution of charity of the police department’s choosing. It doesn’t need to be a TMZ-like approach where they simply pay for the footage.

There’s also some Patriots related irony in people saying “People refused to talk to the NFL, what do you want them to do?” Jim McNally agreed to speak to an NFL investigator for a 4th time (or was it 5th) over the phone instead of in person and people said that he and the team were being uncooperative. I wish they “You don’t need to talk to league and it’s okay because they can’t make you” option was on the table in 2015. We’ll never know if Hunt would have been forthcoming with the league, because they didn’t even try to interview him.

The NFL should either be relying on police reports in these situations or, if they’re going to be involved, they should get competent people involved in their leadership so they don’t keep making the same mistakes repeatedly.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Is it wrong that I’m rooting for the Chargers to overtake the Chiefs in the AFC West despite feeling like they’d be the tougher opponent?

No way. Having to play at LAC would be like Foxboro West.

Feejis
    Participant

I think it would be horrendous for police departments/DA offices to start sharing evidence with employers of accused. I’d argue it’s also illegal to share it with them in these circumstances. The NFL has no right to the video.

But they don’t need the video to do the best job investigating possible. They could “maybe” make the players obtain/produce the video as a condition to the discipline action but I think that is a stretch. At the very least they could speak to the actual player involved.

The league could have a PR win I suppose if after an incident is brought up and then subsequently shelved, they made a statement saying something happened, they looked into it but had no cooperation from witnesses or the facility in determining the facts and will keep all options open if new information is revealed. But I don’t think that serves any real purpose and only makes more people of something that may or may not have happened.

Lebron
    Participant

You’d think the Browns security people would have ties in Cleveland, maybe see if they could have gotten somewhere, for the integrity of the shield and all.

Lebron
    Participant

If I recall I think part of the Mueller report on Rice, and what also played out in the Brown case, is that the NFL just takes ‘no’ for an answer and has no follow up questions.  Like they don’t ask if you won’t show us the video can you tell me if it’s bad?  What kind of contact, if any?  Granted the cops in this case didn’t press charges, not even sure they saw the video or asked for it themselves.  The sheriff in that Brown case said the NFL never ‘formally’ asked him, so maybe there was some paperwork or whatever that they just didn’t want to bother with, but he said even if he wasn’t going to give them the video directly he would have answered questions if they asked.

Humphrey
    Participant

No way. Having to play at LAC would be like Foxboro West.

Kc has to lose to lac plus one other game and lac has to run the table for that to happen.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Thanking someone for a post feels like madam Jones’ (before he had his true spindly troll legs underneath him) old “I appreciate the phone call”. I don’t like it. In fact, I’d like to assign a negative integer to this new feature, and, perhaps, if enough of you agreed, the compilation of several of these negative integers would offer, at minimum, clear visual evidence that this new feature is unpopular. I demand more for my $0 per year.

I LIKE this post a lot, and frankly I would, if we broke the fourth wall at a place like The Galactic Theatre in Warren, RI, like to actually thank Chico for the hundreds (understatement) of his posts (especially the Wayne’s Fathas) that have made me roll on the floor, pissing myself with laughter (I am an Old Bastard), but somehow “thanking” him for this observation does seem a little over the top.  :rollseyes:   :lol:

Yahtzee
    Participant

When the Eagles win their next Super Bowl in 2074, folks will probably be okay with it then too.

Viewing 47 posts - 1 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar