Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 12/30/2017-12/31/2017 Weekend Thread

This topic contains 61 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Kingasaurus 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 62 total)
  • Author

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Baby it’s cold outside. Bundle up for the Jets game.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Spent a minute or two watching NBCSN (National)’s coverage of the Minnesota-Nashville NHL game. I listened long enough to think that the play-by-play announcer was pretty good.  He sounded familiar, too.

It was Dave Goucher, moonlighting for the network. He must be doing well out in Vegas, especially since, against all odds, he seems to have a good club to broadcast.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

TBH has two articles on the sports home page right now.

Hed1: Is There Something Wrong with Tom Brady?

Hed2: Brady, Gronkowski for NFL MVP, No, Todd Gurley

And people think the local media ball-washes for the local teams?

Thanks, Powder! :weei:

Big Fat O
    Participant

Powder spent 100 mil on a transfer for his football club.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

TBH has two articles on the sports home page right now. Hed1: Is There Something Wrong with Tom Brady? Hed2: Brady, Gronkowski for NFL MVP, No, Todd Gurley And people think the local media ball-washes for the local teams? Thanks, Powder! :weei:

In the print edition, Stan Grossfeld has one of those photo-essays saying Xander Bogaerts is in the best shape of his life and expects a turnaround season in 2018. 
    Funny — I assume he forgot the bit about encouraging Red Sox season ticket holders to renew now.

Also, I assume Stan paid his own way to Phoenix to take those snaps. Can’t believe the Globe is footing the bill for that junket, plus Stan’s salary and benefits. The guy is a talented photographer, but this isn’t 1997 anymore …

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

While in the favored sport, Nickles has 25 items worth of dictation from Scott Boras.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Is that a lot? I can’t tell.

It’s funny how alien soccer economics and contracts are to Americans and vice versa. Soccer people are horrified at the aspects of American sports that are imposed on the MLS.  (A draft, one league with no relegation for bad teams, salary caps, revenue sharing)

CornerBlitz
    Participant

The Euros should be-MLS fucking sucks compared to Euro domestic leagues, never mind Liga MX and South America. If Pro/rel is implemented it will be a game changer.
    Iowa State got raped by the officials twice in a minute- fumble at goal line and a phantom PI. Horrible calls.

jforb
    Participant

Is that a lot? I can’t tell.

It’s funny how alien soccer economics and contracts are to Americans and vice versa. Soccer people are horrified at the aspects of American sports that are imposed on the MLS. (A draft, one league with no relegation for bad teams, salary caps, revenue sharing)

Biggest ever for a defender.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Cooper Manning has his own Visa commercial.  That’s messed up.

Coma
    Participant

Deadspin did a ranking of IAWL characters a few days ago:

https://deadspin.com/its-a-wonderful-life-characters-ranked-1821581605

There’s no explanation for their rationale behind their thinking, but Mr. Potter at #35 (of 37) seems insane and shows a lack of understanding of the movie at a fundamental level.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

TBH has two articles on the sports home page right now. Hed1: Is There Something Wrong with Tom Brady? Hed2: Brady, Gronkowski for NFL MVP, No, Todd Gurley And people think the local media ball-washes for the local teams? Thanks, Powder! :weei:

In the print edition, Stan Grossfeld has one of those photo-essays saying Xander Bogaerts is in the best shape of his life and expects a turnaround season in 2018. Funny — I assume he forgot the bit about encouraging Red Sox season ticket holders to renew now. Also, I assume Stan paid his own way to Phoenix to take those snaps. Can’t believe the Globe is footing the bill for that junket, plus Stan’s salary and benefits. The guy is a talented photographer, but this isn’t 1997 anymore …

Wait until they send noted Football Savant Shank Shaughnessy to the Soupey.  :weei:

Humphrey
    Participant

(apologies if this got posted twice).

Can 2018 be the year Shank retires or at least dies?

Lefty

This photo of Raiders owner Mark Davis is tremendous on many levels

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Was great in The 5th Element.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Gotta love it. This will add to the legend of the warm Gatorade etc.

Lebron
    Participant

Reminder to get that gook/chink food order in early!

Lefty

Browns look like they are trying hard to be 0-16.

Gimp
    Participant

Growing up, my paternal grandmother called Chinese food “Chinky Chow”

Boy those old timers were some colorful bigots, no?  LOL

Turd Furguson
    Participant

Order placed at 11:30!

Humphrey
    Participant

Yeah, I think my hs in the late 60’s had a chant for an opponent.  “chink’s a dink” or similar.   Would probably be considered a hate crime in this day and age.

The kid wasn’t even Chinese. :lol:      Half Italian, the other half from Guam.

Took the dog out to pee (just him) right before the second half started. He lolliggaged it (he loves cold weather) so I ended up listening to the first defensive and offensive series on the radio (end of backstory). On the third down pass to Cooks to end the first offensive series of the half, Zolak complained about Cooks not adjusting to the throw and made comments insinuating hat Cooks wasn’t trying hard because of the cold weather. I just went back and watched the play, and I have no idea what Zolak is talking about. Cooks seems to have come back for the slightly underthrown ball, but the defender was right there too. Zolak has some hair across his ass for Cooks.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Took the dog out to pee (just him) right before the second half started. He lolliggaged it (he loves cold weather) so I ended up listening to the first defensive and offensive series on the radio (end of backstory). On the third down pass to Cooks to end the first offensive series of the half, Zolak complained about Cooks not adjusting to the throw and made comments insinuating hat Cooks wasn’t trying hard because of the cold weather. I just went back and watched the play, and I have no idea what Zolak is talking about. Cooks seems to have come back for the slightly underthrown ball, but the defender was right there too. Zolak has some hair across his ass for Cooks.

It’s pretty simple……the white guys care and can handle cold weather.

Humphrey
    Participant

Early in the second quarter, some CBS guy (maybe Esiason) made the comment “the Patriots better wake up”..because the Steelers were going to win in a cakewalk.

Not only are the Pats going to win handily but most likely Pitt’s going to lose.  (Edit)  Well they would have lost if the Browns guy didn’t drop a gimme pass just now.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by  Humphrey.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Early in the second quarter, some CBS guy (maybe Esiason) made the comment “the Patriots better wake up”..because the Steelers were going to win in a cakewalk. Not only are the Pats going to win handily but most likely Pitt’s going to lose. (Edit) Well they would have lost if the Browns guy didn’t drop a gimme pass just now.

Esiason can fuck off. Another big mouth who never won anything.

Coma
    Participant

No catches or even targets (according to the CBS sports site) for Gronk. Ross Tucker must think this confirms his prediction of “shadiness.”

Big Fat O
    Participant

No catches or even targets (according to the CBS sports site) for Gronk. Ross Tucker must think this confirms his prediction of “shadiness.”

Maybe they didn’t want Gronk getting hurt. He’s kind of important.

Team X turning into Team Excriment, but Marvin Lewis will screw this up somehow. Back me up here Regular Brian.

chicowalker
    Participant

Team x down 14-3 and about to be more. Jimmy g with two first half picks. #$torylinezzz

Humphrey
    Participant

Early in the second quarter, some CBS guy (maybe Esiason) made the comment “the Patriots better wake up”..because the Steelers were going to win in a cakewalk. Not only are the Pats going to win handily but most likely Pitt’s going to lose. (Edit) Well they would have lost if the Browns guy didn’t drop a gimme pass just now.

Esiason can fuck off. Another big mouth who never won anything.

So can Volin

“The Patriots look like a JV offense without Chris Hogan, Rex Burkhead, and James White”

chicowalker
    Participant

Jesus Christ even Sunday evening? I can’t win  :ozzy:   :lol:

And just like that the Ravens are within 7

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Geez. I was about to post how Flacco is 4-18 for 22 yards. 5-19 now for 28 yards and a TD I guess.

Humphrey
    Participant

Team X turning into Team Excriment, but Marvin Lewis will screw this up somehow. Back me up here Regular Brian.

Yep!   Only the Bungles.

By the way, Chuck Pagano will not be down for breakfast as the Colts coach.

Lefty

Chuck Pagano fired.  Alleged Deflategate Karma continues

Kingasaurus
    Participant

I’m fine if the Bills make the playoffs, because it effs the Ravens, and fuck Harbaugh anyway.

No McCoy means they’re not beating anyone anyway.

GusChiggins
    Participant

That’s a terrible call against the Bengals.

RedSeat
    Participant

I’m sure Jeff Triplette will get this all straightened out.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Joe Sullivan’s new hire sure fits right in..

”Patriots don’t appear ready to make a long playoff run, do they?”

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Friggin’ Baltimore.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

KMAC?

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Lefty

I can not believe I have to root for Andy Dalton.

chicowalker
    Participant

The fucking saints had tb 4th and 10 on their own 5 inside of two minutes w no time outs. Thus ends my gambling career.  :ozzy:  apropos its New Years. Resolutions and all  :rollseyes:

chicowalker
    Participant

:lol: fuck Baltimore

Lefty

Never doubted the Red Rifle.

can’t wait for the Harbro tears and whines.

GusChiggins
    Participant

Holy shit! I’m sure Harbaugh will find some excuse.

Coma
    Participant

I want to be happy about that TD by the Bengals, but they still have 45
    seconds to blow it.

jforb
    Participant

Imagine being FCM and needing the Bengals win instead of just wanting it.

Congrats to FCM. Team X is dead!

Lefty

Buffalo is in the playoffs and Rex Ryan’s tattered reputation takes another hit.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar