Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 12/30/2019-1/5/2020 Discussion Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    GusChiggins
    Participant

People screaming about the worst home loss ever or whatnot from Sunday must have forgotten that Eagles game 4 years ago that cost them the 1 seed. ’02 they had those losses to Green Bay and maybe Denver that one could say cost them the playoffs. ’08 had a tough loss to the Jets in OT that would have won them the division had they won, Pittsburgh that year too. Heck I still remember a couple of nut crushers at home in ’79 and ’80 that cost those 10-6/9-7 teams playoff trips. One was to Buffalo if memory serves when the Bills really blew. Don’t get me wrong, it sucked that they lost that game and in the fashion that they did, but it’s not unprecedented in team let alone NFL history. Heck the Bengals went to Baltimore a couple of years ago for the last game and converted a 4th down play, for a TD I think, that cost Brother John the playoffs.

I randomly was watching that Bengals game. I almost gave up hope then boom, a TD. It was glorious.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Humphrey
    Participant

If you’re going to go back in time to the Drew Bledsoe era, there was a loss to the Steelers in a big December game where Drew snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with an absolutely idiotic interception.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Happy New Years all!

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

Ron is bringing in John of the River to be his D Coordinator. Enough faux tough guy mojo for two teams.

There may be a shortage of leather jackets in the DC area.

Lebron
    Participant

Rivera and Del Rio.  Chan Gailey in Miami.  Mike McCarthy getting interview requests on his indeed account.Not sure if that’s an indictment on what’s available coaching wise or if it’s just that Ernie Zampese is dead and Don Capers is focused on his canasta game.

Lebron
    Participant

Plus guys like Marrone and Dan Quinn keeping their jobs.  Anthony Lynn. Seems like some of these owners are saying eff it not like hiring game show host Martindale or whatever hot play caller is going to make a different impact from what I already have.

Humphrey
    Participant

Rivera and Del Rio. Chan Gailey in Miami. Mike McCarthy getting interview requests on his indeed account.Not sure if that’s an indictment on what’s available coaching wise or if it’s just that Ernie Zampese is dead and Don Capers is focused on his canasta game.

Chan Gailey? 67 years old, who hasn’t been a coach in the last 4 years, if I read his resume correctly.

Did Rivera’s hire give everyone else a pass on the Rooney Rule stuff?

Yahtzee
    Participant

David Stern is dead.

On a brighter note, the Winter Classic was entertaining.

Lebron
    Participant

ESPN’s ‘oral history’ of the Belichick resignation from the Jets is classic ESPN.  Granted, Bill told them to screw when they asked to interview him for it, and his friends/confidantes also passed on participating, but it’s basically a bunch of ex Jet losers crying about how disappointing and shocked they were and he must have had something in place.  Hey dickfaces, the guy who resigned the day or 2 before Bill left his previous job by having a deal in place and talking to that team during the week leading up to a fucking Super Bowl.  Sal Pal recounting how Belichick was all disheveled and the knot of his tie wasn’t straight and his suit was wrinkled.  Of course you look at photos or at least the ones I saw and the tie is straight and the suit appears fine – no doubt he was sweating and I guess who could blame him he was turning down a head coaching job and held a press conference to read a statement and take questions.  So what.  Some person was saying yeah it was strange I knew something was up because he left the gym and was carrying a briefcase out the door and he runs around telling people that was odd behavior.  I guess you might say huh but to think something was up?  I’ve seen way weirder shit than that coming out of office gyms.  Parcells has a few I don’t recalls and calling bullshit on Bill’s claim that the ownership situation deeply concerned him.  Christ Bill said rather plausibly he signed his deal with Hess owning, whom he liked, and the potential owners were ThanksDad Woody Johnson and certified fucking nut job Charles Dolan.  He was honest in saying he had issues with both guys.  Why would he take the job at that point when he could get other jobs?  He wasn’t desperate for work.  Of course everyones says yeah sure OK then they all return to ‘I know he had a deal in place’ but again Parcells doing that a few years prior somehow never happened.  Oh and Parcells takes credit for ‘introducing’ Bill to Patriot fans when he brought him on board in ’96.  Yeah, no one had ever heard of Bill Belichick prior.  Thank god for Bill fucking Parcells.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

I’ll hate Stern forever for making the Celtics carry Reggie Lewis’s cap number when the guy was dead.  Repeat: He was dead.  Fast forward to Yao Ming being hurt and its oh poor Rockets here’s some cap relief.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Mark Maske of The Washington Post writing that the NFL has NOT established a link between Belichick/football ops and the filming of the Bengals’ sideline three-plus weeks ago.

There is no indication that Belichick or the Patriots’ football staff has been tied to the video or that the investigation has uncovered evidence of a sustained, organized effort to gain a competitive on-field advantage, according to those people with knowledge of the case.

That said, it’s expected that there will be a six-figure fine and the “loss or reduction in value of a draft pick” for a game-day violation.

Participant

Thanks David.

“Madison Square Garden fills up for almost every Knicks home game even though the product on the court hasn’t been much to brag about for a while. The franchise can thank David Stern for that.”

I like to think bloated expense accounts have as much to do with a filled Garden as Dave Stern did or Stern like Barnum knew one was born every minute.

“The Knicks played Portland on Wednesday night at the Garden. It was New Year’s Day. The Knicks entered with just nine wins in 33 games, while the Trail Blazers were 14-20. But the Garden was packed nonetheless and there was anticipation in the air. Former Knick Carmelo Anthony was in town playing for the Trail Blazers. A marquee name was filling the building again, just the way David Stern envisioned.”

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I can’t recall any Pats game in the last 10 years which the fan base has so thoroughly convinced themselves is a lost cause?  Last years AFC Championship was a toss up but from what I’m hearing most people sound like they won’t even bother to watch. :blink:

Coma
    Participant

In this scenario (Defending Super Bowl champs, playing at home, with the best defense in the league, after a 12-4 season) was applied to any other team, the prevailing opinion would be “I don’t see them losing.”

The Patriots could lose on Saturday. Any team, even the unbeatable Ravens, could lose. The belief, though, is that Ryan Tannehill, who has never won a key game as a pro*, is going to win on the road in the playoffs? Okay :rollseyes:

*Claim based on zero research.

Coma
    Participant

This post would have been more timely last week. I never listened to Imus much. I might have caught a little bit in the crossover to the 10-1 show or clips played overnight on WFAN, but I never made a point to tune in. What I do remember is that they would poke fun at Francesa and Russo. And not as part of fake feud, either. They just took opportunities to mock Fatso and Fruit Loops.

One that sticks in my mind was that Russo would take vacations that would coincide with San Francisco Giants road trips. He would follow the team to two or three cities and go to all the games. In reaction to this, the Imus show played this skit where you heard someone pounding on a hotel room door and then Russo shouting “You’re my thrill, Will! It’s me, Chris! You’re my thrill! Open up!” Then Will Clark responding with “Oh, no. It’s that little queer from New York.” There’s no way anything like that would get on the air today, for a variety of reasons.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

“Big Fan” Bill Simmons likes the Titans today. Goes on and on about how bad the Pats have been. He’s also been saying the special teams have been horrible all season. Didn’t they break some record for blocked kicks or something? Ya, horrible.

Sure, they could lose. Last season everyone had them getting rolled by the Chargers and a lot of the “pundits” had Brady as the worst QB playing. They didn’t hit the playoffs on a high note last season either.

He also had Seth Wickersham on going over a lot of the Brady/Bill/JimmyG/Kraft saga and he had things in there that I had never heard before.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Oh, and for those that are unaware, JJ Watt is putting it ‘all on the line today’ and risking re-injury because he cares….THAT much about winning.

Dear lord. :wall:   If he ends up making any sort of impact play I’m sure there will be a 30 for 30 on it.

jforb
    Participant

Should these ads where Mayfield expects 68000 this weekend still be running?

Lefty

JJ Watt has the kind of injury often related to steroid use and makes a “miraculously “ fast recovery from surgery.  But let’s not question it at all……

Humphrey
    Participant

“Big Fan” Bill Simmons likes the Titans today. Goes on and on about how bad the Pats have been. He’s also been saying the special teams have been horrible all season. Didn’t they break some record for blocked kicks or something? Ya, horrible.

Sure, they could lose. Last season everyone had them getting rolled by the Chargers and a lot of the “pundits” had Brady as the worst QB playing. They didn’t hit the playoffs on a high note last season either.

He also had Seth Wickersham on going over a lot of the Brady/Bill/JimmyG/Kraft saga and he had things in there that I had never heard before.

This is the perfect storm for the media and the so called fans that have been pissing and moaning about everything and anything for 20 years.

rclane
    Participant

JJ Watt has the kind of injury often related to steroid use and makes a “miraculously “ fast recovery from surgery. But let’s not question it at all……

Especially when Brian Cushing is a “strength” and conditioning coach for the Texans.

Lefty

I am stunned JJ Watt is mic’d up

BrianInLA
    Participant

Maybe it’s the dildo tossing but Go Bills.  I also think they can beat Baltimore.

Yahtzee
    Participant

That’s a tough message to give a THANKS to, BiLA.

Participant

Be a shame if JJ’s team lost his 1st game back after playing so well without him.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar