Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 12/9/2019 – 12/15/2019 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

The refs sucked, but no one will care.

Can the Pats office level up to one more notch which would make them competitive to the top teams?

Can we get to five pages in a week? Stay tuned!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I was checking in on the game at a party and not watching closely. What was the deal with the blocked FG? How did someone get that free?

NASCL
    Participant

Son had a hockey game on the NH border at 6 PM so I was forced to listed to the radio broadcast.  Zolak is a disgraceful buffoon.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    chicowalker
    Participant

I taped the 2nd half, but before I could watch it I was texted the score by my a-holr friends so I didn’t bother.  How egregious were the missed calls?

jforb
    Participant

Bad. Also saw this morning that they marked off the wrong yardage on one of the penalties. Pretty sure crews have been suspended for that in the past.

Participant

I taped the 2nd half, but before I could watch it I was texted the score by my a-holr friends so I didn’t bother. How egregious were the missed calls?

“Pretty goddamn bad.” As Pete Clemenza liked to say.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

There was a half inch of green between Harry’s shoe and the sideline. And on the failed challenge it was like the 4th and 2 Kevin Faulk call that went against us but much more obviously so. Receiver didn’t control the ball until pushed back into non first down yardage. The screen said they were challenging pass interference instead of the spot of the ball? It looks like both aspects should have gone our way but didn’t.

Were there other bad calls?

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

There was a half inch of green between Harry’s shoe and the sideline. And on the failed challenge it was like the 4th and 2 Kevin Faulk call that went against us but much more obviously so. Receiver didn’t control the ball until pushed back into non first down yardage. The screen said they were challenging pass interference instead of the spot of the ball? It looks like both aspects should have gone our way but didn’t.

Were there other bad calls?

Dorsett was assaulted on a deep pass that they did not call and they blew the whistle on Kelce’s fumble when Gilmore had a chance to scoop and score.  On the blocked FG it looked like a Marshall Newhouse production.  I believe they replaced him on a later FG but I didn’t go back to look more closely.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Tough game all around yesterday. I like the Pats chances in a rematch.

Lebron
    Participant

Following last year’s NFCCG and the non PI call you heard for weeks and months and still now how the Saints got screwed and if they got that call punch their ticket they’re in the Super Bowl.  The result was a horse shit rule enacted that simply doesn’t work.  Yesterday had multiple calls that literally took points off the board and its more about well if the offense didn’t suck so bad you should have been able to overcome the bad calls.

Lebron
    Participant

The Saints owner publicly cried about the non call and Pillhead Payton went into seclusion eating pints of ice cream and watching Netflix.  Nothing about not being able to get a touchdown on that possession or Brees’s pick in overtime.  Speaking of Brees it’s interesting that no one is saying he’s done going 5-3 or so thus far while Bridgewater was what, 5-0?

Participant

Nice to see Barry Wilner of the AP picked up the book of Patriots loss post game media mad libs is available at the pro shop.

And the air of invincibility at Gillette Stadium has been compromised severely by Kansas City.”

Hey, Bill Belichick has been outcoached in all three of his team’s defeats; yep, the Patriots are 10-3 even with all the doomsday gloom directed their way. Actually, if you examine his body of work real closely, you’ll find enough examples of Belichick being outsmarted or off-kilter, including in Super Bowls lost and won.”

The Patriots really have faced only three strong teams at the times they met — Buffalo, Baltimore and Houston — and lost two of those games”

What should concern Brady and company is that opponents aren’t likely to fear them, even in Foxborough, this winter. We already know from past experiences that the Ravens don’t; there isn’t another team or coach that carries more swagger into the Patriots’ home than Baltimore and John Harbaugh.”

Buffalo, even in its loss Sunday to the Ravens, showed a ton of moxie it would do well to bottle for its trip to New England”

I’ve long thought the 2005 Divisional in Denver (the Watson/Bailey tackle game) was the worst bag job the Belichick Pats ever suffered. They had multiple bad calls in that game, giving the Broncos the ball at the one twice and at the 17 another time. Also, just like yesterday’s game, Belichick used up challenges so that he couldn’t challenge on an egregious ref call/non-call. In that instance, Troy Brown bobbled the ball on a fair catch of a punt return, and the Broncos hit him and recovered the ball. But with a fair catch, if a player bobbles, the punting team can’t try to recover until the ball hits the ground. The refs missed it, and Belichick couldn’t challenge.

Yesterday was worse, as arguably two TDs got wiped off the board.

There’s a prevailing “they’ve got it coming ” mentality out there, justified by either the belief they cheat, or that they’ve gotten an inordinate number of calls going their way (or both), and that this is just some karmic justice. We’ll never successfully beat back against the relentless tide of stupidity.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

The main problem with the 2 blown calls is that the ref’s SHOULD have just let the play play out and let replay fix anything as I thought they’ve been instructed to do that on close calls. Both would have resulted in TD’s for the Pats. Its a shit show weekly and a huge flaw in the system that this can happen. Regularly. But its the Pats so no one will care. The non-PI at the end was just as blatant as the one in the Saints playoff game.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Gotta have Moxie…can’t be team X without moxie. :weei:

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

The flags and the officials’ incompetence and the judgment-calls-made-with-lousy-judgment have really damaged the product on the field.  Good job, Goodell.

EDIT: Even though I almost drove my foot through the floor in fury when Harry was ruled OOB, I feel this way even when borderline-to-WTF? judgment calls go in the Pats’ favor. For Christ’s sake, the Tuck Rule was (correctly applied) 18 years ago, and seems to show no signs of losing its go-to status for Pats-bashers. Here’s what I said to one a few years ago: Okay, so Oakland gets the fumble, beats the Patriots and goes to Pittsburgh for the AFCCG. The Rams beat either of those teams by multiple scores — Pitt because Slash was a horrible quarterback who never could have outscored the Rams, and Oakland because those meatheads would never figure out in a week (there was only one pre-Soupey week that year because of 9/11) what Belichick already knew about how to defend against TGSOT. Plus, Oakland probably would have been hit with at least three personal fouls.

Lebron
    Participant

Bert going with the sorree Patriots fans but the league apologized to the Cowboys after those tripping penalties so in fact those were more egregious than yesterday.  Must be warming up for his 98.5 appearances this week.

Lebron
    Participant

Actually was there ever any official league apology on that which was made public?  ESPN reported as ‘a source’ told their Cowboys reporter this happened.  Was it ever verified?

Participant

Don’t forget Chard, you have to pickup Linda and John’s dry cleaning this week.

“So what’s next for the most frustrating 10-3 team you’ll ever see, one that still has the heart but may not have the talent?”

Lebron
    Participant

I imagine someone from the Cows called the league to bitch and the guy on the line said ‘yeah gosh that’s too bad’ and it got reported like the league went out of their way to contact the Cows to say they were this close to having the game replayed in its entirety.

Humphrey
    Participant

The main problem with the 2 blown calls is that the ref’s SHOULD have just let the play play out and let replay fix anything as I thought they’ve been instructed to do that on close calls. Both would have resulted in TD’s for the Pats. Its a shit show weekly and a huge flaw in the system that this can happen. Regularly. But its the Pats so no one will care. The non-PI at the end was just as blatant as the one in the Saints playoff game.

Yeah, that’s my gripe too. If they did what they are supposed to do, Harry has a touchdown and I guess Gilmore does too, although that didn’t affect the game as much as the Harry oob call.

Also, another call that actually went the Patriots’ way didn’t help them. I swear there was a false start on the first down handoff after the Harry play that they didn’t call (seemed rather obvious). I would much prefer first-and-goal from the 8 versus second-and-goal from the 5 or 6.

Participant

:lol:

Starts at about the 7:55 mark – it’s all Belichick’s fault according to Mike.

Lebron
    Participant

Party Bus Blandino  going with Tyreek Hill was going to catch Gilmore anyway, he’s the fastest guy on the field!  It’s not two hand touch dipshit, and Gilmore was running with a relative caravan of blockers.  Peria or whatever his name is sounded insane.  Letting the plays play out and then looking at them is dangerous!  Huhwha?  That’s the whole point of reviewing scoring plays and what the league tells them to do.  And of course the well actually that’s on Bill not being judicious with his challenges.  Yeah, he should know he was going to need like 6 challenges throughout the course of the game so use the 2 you have wisely.  Not the terrible officiating, nope that ain’t the problem.  It’s these dumb coaches, starting with Belichick!

Participant

Perreira’s worried about the length of games while Jerome and the lesser Steratore are still staggering around Gillette trying to figure out what’s going on.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Bert going with the sorree Patriots fans but the league apologized to the Cowboys after those tripping penalties so in fact those were more egregious than yesterday. Must be warming up for his 98.5 appearances this week.

Bert’s probably still sore about the 41-0 pasting that Mansfield put on Lincoln-Sudbury at Gillette a day or so before yesterday’s game. Take what’s yours, Bert. Especially medicine.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar