Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 12/9/2019 – 12/15/2019 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Lebron
    Participant

I love how everyone hangs their hat on ‘it has to be clear and obvious!’  Where the fuck have you been the last however many years, they confirm or overrule a shit ton of plays on ‘eh, close enough’ or better yet ‘well that’s what the rule will be next year, let’s implement it now!’

Lebron
    Participant

7/$245 for Strasburg from the Nationals.  I hope to God Cole signs with Genius Joe.

Coma
    Participant

I imagine someone from the Cows called the league to bitch and the guy on the line said ‘yeah gosh that’s too bad’ and it got reported like the league went out of their way to contact the Cows to say they were this close to having the game replayed in its entirety.

There were a couple of odd things about that “apology.” One was that it didn’t come from the usual league mouthpieces, like Schefter and Rapoport. The other was that it was never attributed to anyone in the league office. When the NFL acknowledged officiating errors in the Saints-Texans and Lions-Packers games earlier this season, those were delivered by Troy Vincent and Al Riveron. As you pointed out, there is only a “source” for the alleged Cowboys apology.

Lebron
    Participant

And the supposed ‘apology’ was reported on the Monday after the game, so within a 24 hour window from the game.  With the NFCCG, supposedly Riveron spoke with Pillhead after the game, and Goodell didn’t publicly address it until midweek prior to the Super Bowl.  Of course Pillhead was the source to say that he spoke with Riveron, Sean never met a mic he didn’t like and he’s on the fraud competition committee.  The media railed at the NFL for remaining silent for as long as they did and demanded that officials be held accountable.  Funny, I’m not hearing any of that today.

jforb
    Participant

Smart of the Bengals to make a scandal out of nothing and piss off the Pats even more than they already are.

Odds are that someone in the league called Jerry up and said yeah I thought the call was shit too just to get him to shut up.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Sounds like the Browns failed to let the Bengals know that the video stuff was happening.  Pro organization they have out there.

Lebron
    Participant

Mark Feinsand

@Feinsand

· 3h

Strasburg gets seven years and $245 million from Nationals, per source. @JeffPassan 1st.

I love this stuff.  “per source” why not just say as Jeff Passan reported as he’s your source.

Lefty

Don’t like the way this Cleveland filming thing is playing out.   Saying there is accidental sideline footage on the video

here’s the thing – the Pats know the commissioner and the league office has a hard on for them, they know they will never win in public opinion, they know facts won’t matter and they know they are going to get hosed for no reason.  And the Pats let this happen (I know it is not football ops, but still the organization) anyway?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Don’t like the way this Cleveland filming thing is playing out. Saying there is accidental sideline footage on the video

here’s the thing – the Pats know the commissioner and the league office has a hard on for them, they know they will never win in public opinion, they know facts won’t matter and they know they are going to get hosed for no reason. And the Pats let this happen (I know it is not football ops, but still the organization) anyway?

Agree. I don’t think Belichick would let this happen but when the Big Boss who loves the spotlight has the poor judgment to buy a handy from a massage parlor, it makes you lose confidence in the organization. This thing goes south and I have given my last sh*t about the NFL.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Humphrey
    Participant

It’s sickening how many times they’ve shown the Manning family.
    The Giants haven’t gotten 30 yards of offense this hslf

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

So Trollin’ Volin thinks the Pats are the 6th best team in the AFC behind:

1. Ravens – OK, I’ll give you that one
    2. Chiefs – maybe, maybe not
    3. Texans – really? No.
    4. Buffalo – can the Pats even score a touchdown on them next week?
    5. Titans – The Pats would have no chance of keeping up with them.

You’ve got to be kidding me! :weei: :puke: :weei:

PS I clicked on the link just for the entertainment value.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

The Giants never got the ball in overtime last night. Have you heard a peep about fairness?

Coma
    Participant

The Giants never got the ball in overtime last night. Have you heard a peep about fairness?

There are going to so many Fairness Bowls this year, the playoffs won’t end until March.

Also, I like the sound of Eli Manning, sub .500 quarterback.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

Isn’t it a bigger display of fairness for a sub .500 qb to make the HOF than for him to get the ball in OT?

Nashua Dad
    Participant

They’re going to take the 1st rounder. Who has the energy for this anymore?

Lebron
    Participant

I’m coming close to throwing in the towel.  I’m barely watching the games as is.

Coma
    Participant

This Bengals sideline story hasn’t drawn O’Leary out of seclusion. He’s either dead or he’s determined that he can’t make any money off the whole Patriots cheating angle.

Others noted people invoking the tuck rule and saying things like “They had it coming.” The Steelers had a several controversial calls go their way during the playoffs in the 70s and then were the beneficiaries of one sided officiating in SB40. I never hear anyone say they deserve to be on the wrong end of poor officiating. Somehow, because an infrequently used rule was applied in the Patriots favor in 2002, they deserve bad calls in perpetuity.

Lefty

I’m coming close to throwing in the towel. I’m barely watching the games as is.

This is where I am, too.    The concerted effort on the part of the league and the media (and to some extent the recurring stupidity of some of the things that Pats do to draw attention to themselves) to prevent me from being able to enjoy when my team wins has really worn me out.

Lebron
    Participant

I’ve missed large portions of the last 5 or so games, going back to the Sunday nighter at the Ravens.  Combination of business travel and my one kid having a soccer academy in the middle of the late kickoffs – Eagles/Cowboys/Chiefs.  Normally I’d DVR or at least ask my wife to take one of the Sunday afternoon soccer gigs, but honestly I just say no worries I’ll take him.  Still love the team and the coach and the players, I just can’t stomach any of the ancillary bullshit anymore.  Like this week’s game against Cincy, do I really want to watch a game while the announcers look for every which fucking way to talk about the video shit?  I’m more inclined to watch Army-Navy.

I’ve been in CO for 25 years now so outside of the Broncos who I will always loathe I do follow the other teams.  There’s an odd situation going on where the cable station that has the rights to the Avalanche and Nuggets does not currently have a contract with Comcast or DirecTV, so I haven’t seen any of the games unless they are on a national broadcast.  I follow through box scores, like I used to do as a kid when the Sox west coast games were on.  While I would like to watch, I’m getting by just fine and there’s zero added nonsense even if its just dopey homer announcers and endless pre and post game garbage.    I can do radio if I’m in the car or doing a project at home but I can’t do the sit there and listen on the front porch like grandpa used to.  I think this might be more of the new normal for me.  All sports broadcasts and all the shit that goes with it, I’m done.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Nick B
    Participant

It’s sickening how many times they’ve shown the Manning family.

The Giants haven’t gotten 30 yards of offense this hslf

you mean “The First Family of Football”? :weei:

I just about puked when I heard this comment

Lebron
    Participant

Dallas Stars fire their head coach for ‘unprofessional conduct.’  Old friend Rick Bowness taking over.

jforb
    Participant

Nickles gets the posthumous not in the hall of fame but the writers all claim it award.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Nickles gets the posthumous not in the hall of fame but the writers all claim it award.

Will they bronze his mailbag?

Mark
    Participant

Nick Cafardo was legitimately bad as a reporter and columnist. It’s unfortunate for his family that he died but enough is fucking enough.

chicowalker
    Participant

:lol:That’s the Mark we know and love!  We just need Brian to show up to say “actually, we DO love Nick Cafardo..”

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar