Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 2/10-2/16 2020 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Lebron
    Participant

Bruins continue to puzzle when playing the shitty Red Wings.

Yahtzee
    Participant

In a shocking development, the Globe’s Oscar fashion analyst thought Mindy Kaling knocked it out of the park.

3 users thanked author for this post.

I was looking up a stat about most wins in a decade when I came across this article playing up the Colts having the most wins of the oughts. It was entitled “Decade of Dominance”, pretty presumptuous for a team that won just the one Super Bowl in that interim, but we’re talking about the Colts here, who got all excited about a consecutive victory streak that conveniently  excluded playoff losses between regular season wins.

Anyway, it included this line:

The Colts’ win count of  115 was enough to surpass the San Francisco 49ers of the 1990s (113 wins) for most victories in a decade.

The 2010-2019 Pats won 125 regular season games. When can I expect the “Decade of Dominance” article,  PFHOF?

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Yeah but they were only 3-2 in Super Bowls in that decade.  Not feeling the dominance.

Lefty

Phil Rivers nut crushing picks are now freely available for any interested team.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Bledsoe still doesn’t effing get it. This is from his ESPN E:60 interview:

“Here’s the real truth,” Bledsoe explained, “so when he was on the practice squad his rookie year, I actually called my financial advisor about him. I was like, ‘Hey, I really like this kid. He’s never going to be a starter. He’s going to be Jason Garrett or one of those guys that’s just going to be around forever. You’ll really like the kid.’

“We kind of brought him in. He was over our house,” Bledsoe continued. “We had him over for dinner probably at least every other week. But just really liked him. Liked the kid. I thought he was just [great] and still do. But nobody, outside of maybe Tom himself, would ever have predicted that he was going to go on to be a starter in the league and be in the conversation as one of the greatest of all-time.”

The thing is, Bledsoe still doesn’t understand why Brady cleaned his clock starting in the 2000-2001 offseason and preseason. By outworking him, by preparing better. Number 1 Overall Pick Bledsoe never had to work that hard to get where he was. And once he got there, which was never the greatest QB of his prime era, 1993-2000, he didn’t know how to get better or keep from falling off a cliff.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Entitled. All the same shit we’ve heard before.

After returning from injury, Bledsoe was ready to reclaim his starting job by November. Famously, Bill Belichick elected to keep Brady as the team’s top quarterback.

“That was a bitter pill to swallow,” said Bledsoe. “I thought I was entitled to get my job back, and it turns out I wasn’t, and it doesn’t work that way.”

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Oh, and trying to diminish Brady when he first came in. Brady was never on the practice squad.

Lefty

Entitled. All the same shit we’ve heard before.

After returning from injury, Bledsoe was ready to reclaim his starting job by November. Famously, Bill Belichick elected to keep Brady as the team’s top quarterback.

“That was a bitter pill to swallow,” said Bledsoe. “I thought I was entitled to get my job back, and it turns out I wasn’t, and it doesn’t work that way.”

The oldest whine from his esteemed vineyard.

Lebron
    Participant

Noticed that as well with the practice squad.

I never thought much about the ‘my job’ comment just because everyone says that.  I lost my job.  I hate my job.  I love my job.  We all consider jobs ‘ours’ until they aren’t.  And that was the old line beaten in by the media types – you don’t lose your job to injury.  Phil Simms threw a public shitfit when Handley named Hostetler the starting QB in ’91 and he cited you don’t lose your job to injury if memory serves, as he was coming off a broken leg from the season before.  Drew definitely took things for granted and didn’t work as hard as he could have and pointed fingers and had his media buddies pimp for him.  But some of what he says, at least on paper, “I thought I was entitled to get my job back, turns out it doesn’t work that way,” sounds more like he learned a lesson.  He may present it differently on camera.  Lots of things I thought I knew or expected would happen that didn’t and I learned lessons from it.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Yeah, the beef is less with Bledsoe than the cult of personality defending him to the death. The story of him as the good soldier doing what he can to support the team, though, that was a total myth.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Oh no doubt.  He was mad about it then and then was mad about it Super Bowl week when there was question if Brady was good to play.  And he probably did think it was luck that season with Brady or lightning in a bottle.  Hostetler fizzled after the Super Bowl win, Doug Williams who came on for Jay Schroeder won a Super Bowl and then couldn’t recapture it.  He had 2 more chances and couldn’t prove anyone wrong.  So all they have is he and Parcells saved the franchise and the good soldier stuff.

NASCL
    Participant

Have to give Kraft credit for a serious upgrade in the girlfriend department.

Participant

Jerry loved it.

Anyway, the show is excellent. Bledsoe remains a thoughtful, self-reflective and honest guy”

Hacksaw
    Participant

How many front office guys have to do a press release on a trade?

chicowalker
    Participant

Ray Handley! From the glory days when the coach was wearing  the same starter jacket as 50% of the goons in the stands

Lebron
    Participant

Seeing as it’s Bloom’s first go around on this and it’s as big as it is, surprised Dr. Charles didn’t show up for an acoustic set.

I like how the Dodgers said fine fuck it we’ll take that Twins pitcher then told the Angels to piss off on the Joc Pederson trade.  Interesting how the national writers went batshit that the Red Sox were holding it up with the medicals and probably hiring the Leyritz detectives to dig up whatever on Verdugo, Dodgers tell the Angels to fuck off and barely a mention.

The new proposed playoff format seems like it’s ripe for a bunch of ‘disrespect!’ mic moments for the team that gets chosen and a lot of ‘see, no one wants to play us!’ for the team that doesn’t.  Might want to bring in Jim Cornette and the Mouth of the the South if he’s still alive for consulting.

jforb
    Participant

Thought the Angels pulled out because the owner got tired of waiting.

Lebron
    Participant

It might have been that too, no one seems to care about it though.  Poor Genius Joe probably had a frisky cab he’d been saving up to welcome Joc.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Dodgers are about a billion dollars over the luxury cap and have 17 outfielders but no one here cares. The fanbase has really turned into a “who cares? We’re only going to lose in the series or get cheated again anyway” sort of fanbase which I’m enjoying. They just traded for the 2nd best player in baseball and its still nothing but Kobe 24/7. I fully expect Price to win the Cy Young this year as well. I’ve read a few reports on how much he really hated pitching in Boston. I’ve never understood the hatred of him. Its not his fault the Sox bid against themselves and overpaid for a guy who never wanted to be there.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

A Super Bowl replay was on recently and I noticed that it looks like they didn’t do the Lombardi trophy procession leading up to the trophy presentation. They went to a commercial and when they came back, the trophy was already up on the podium. Even if the league wanted to get rid of that tradition, I’d have kept it around for the 100th year celebration. They had a bunch of the top 100 players at the game, they could have had some of them bring the trophy up. That won’t be the case next year, so they could scrap it.

BrianInLA
    Participant

I just looked it up. The Sox paid $121 million for a total of 10.8 WAR for Price these last 4 years (118 ERA+). Ouch. Over that same time they also shelled out $59 million for a total of 6.7 WAR out of PocketJag (last 2 years a total of 9 games for $31 million). But he’s a scrappy dirt dog so its okay to overpay for that. I also have a hard time with Pedroia being 36 this year. He just always seems 24 in my head.

$180 million over 4 years for 17.5 WAR. Brilliant. :ohmy:

Lebron
    Participant

The cheating thing helps, it’s like a built in annual excuse.  Like all the teams in the NFL with the Patriots.

Lebron
    Participant

I love Roenicke getting ‘promoted’ to ‘interim’ manager.  Is it really a promotion if they won’t actually give you the job?

Hacksaw
    Participant

To put a cherry on top The Red Sox should have Carl Everett throw out the first pitch on opening day.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar