Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 2/10-2/16 2020 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Humphrey
    Participant

I love Roenicke getting ‘promoted’ to ‘interim’ manager. Is it really a promotion if they won’t actually give you the job?

The suddenly cost conscious Red Sox only have to pay the guy for one year this way, most managerial contracts are 2 years or more.

Lebron
    Participant

That plus if Cora doesn’t get hit too hard they can bring him back easily

jforb
    Participant

If yesterday’s story is remotely true that’s not happening.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Seems like there is a push out there to make Beltran the escape-goat for the whole sign steeling debacle. His agent must not be as adept at throwing others under the bus as the rest of the people caught up in this.

Participant

Seems like there is a push out there to make Beltran the escape-goat for the whole sign steeling debacle. His agent must not be as adept at throwing others under the bus as the rest of the people caught up in this.

Wasn’t he a Boras guy as a player?

BrianInLA
    Participant

I dont see how Cora ever gets another chance after this. Especially if MLB plans to keep expanding with Vegas/MGM/etc. They cant have any optics of cheating of any sort even though everyone does it.

I’m sort of surprised there isn’t more pushback from the pitchers on the Sox/Astros. Getting grouped in and labeled a cheater when none of the cheating helped the guy on the mound (aside from perhaps getting more wins because his team scored more runs). But someone like Verlander wasn’t helped at all from the hitters wearing buzzers or banging on trash cans.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Kevin Pillar must be the answer. A racist (though since apologized) who has never had a season over 95 OPS+ and he’s north of 30. That will surely help. Old friend Smilin’ Joe thinks the Sox are just trolling us at this point.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Hacksaw
    Participant

Can’t wait for the front office to have their press conference to talk about the Pillar signing.

Lebron
    Participant

But I also don’t think the pitchers were completely oblivious to what was going on.  Oh that guy banging on a trash can?  Or the hitter getting wired up like he’s going undercover on a drug buy? Totally normal behavior.  Although if they are out in the bullpen then they aren’t there for that.  But still, there’s this sign stealing thing going on with an IT staff running it nearby and they don’t know anything?  Maybe.  I think Charlie Morton said something the other day, as did Marwin Gonzalez who is the only hitter to do so thus far.  But both are gone so maybe they feel safer in saying gee sorry.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Oh I’m sure they were quite aware that it was happening. But I wonder if they were as happy about it or were just afraid to really say anything especially while winning 100+ games every season. I cant see a pitcher being able to say “Hey, knock it off” and it getting any traction. Especially if (supposedly) the manager was against it too.

Lebron
    Participant

Right, if the manager is saying it was beyond my control then what the hell is a pitcher going to say.  And of course the allure of competing for championships.  Charlie Morton on it recently:

“’I was aware of the banging. … Being in the dugout you could hear it. I don’t know when it dawned on me, but you knew it was going on,” Morton said. “Personally, I regret not doing more to stop it. I don’t know what that would have entailed. I think the actions would have been somewhat extreme to stop it. That’s a hypothetical.”

Not sure what would have been extreme about talking to Hinch or even the GM, especially considering the GM claims he wasn’t aware.  The fucking make him aware.  If you exhaust all avenues then no one can blame you, but I don’t think it’s extreme to say hey this shit ain’t right and if we get caught we’re gonna be facing a ton of shit and as a pitcher it’s bullshit.

Lebron
    Participant

This thing keeps getting worse

The Houston Astros’ illegal sign-stealing methods were brought to the Washington Nationals’ attention prior to the 2019 World Series, thanks to Alex Cora.

The former Boston Red Sox manager reached out to Nationals skipper Dave Martinez to warn him about Houston’s sign-stealing, according to Barry Svrluga and Dave Sheinin of the Washington Post.

So the mastermind of it in Houston told their opponent about it in this past World Series.  That will go over well.

Svrluga and Sheinin also note several Los Angeles Dodgers players warned Nationals infielder Brian Dozier — who played with L.A. in 2018 — about Houston’s sign-stealing.

On top of that, Nationals ace Max Scherzer asked former Astros reliever Tony Sipp if Washington should be concerned about the Astros, even with no runners on base. Sipp said yes.

So it was the worst kept secret and MLB only did anything because of the Fiers story in the Athletic.

Coma
    Participant

I forget if someone posted it already, but an Astros fan went back and reviewed Houston’s home games from the 2017 season for trash can banging during at bats. 58 games from that season were available online and the guy posted the results on twitter and set up a website with his findings. There’s no way anyone in the media would do this, but I was surprised that it was “just” a fan who did the work and not someone from 538 or baseball reference or somewhere where somebody could say it was part of their job.

Lebron
    Participant

I saw that too.  Was probably a lot of work which of course rules media out from doing it.  We’ll just let some person we mock as living in his mother’s basement do all the heavy lifting then tweet some reference to it.  Done and done.  I’m hungry, let’s go get some lunch.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

And there it is

According to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Wednesday, Spotify could pay out nearly $200 million in cash over the next few years to acquire The Ringer, an online publication for sports and pop culture. Spotify disclosed it will between €130 million and €180 million: Part of that payment is deferred and based on some contingencies, one of which requires Simmons to stay at the company for an unknown period of time.

BrianInLA
    Participant

He had Dave Grohl on his recent podcast. I love Grohl and love hearing stories about music and he was talking about a documentary he’s working on about bands in their van days and of course Simmons has to keep jumping in and making it about himself. “My son is playing bass…” “I saw you in Worcester…” “I saw this Eagles documentary..” The only highlight for me was when Grohl asked Simmons where he was from as he truly didn’t know he was from Boston. That had to hurt the Boston Sportsguy just a bit.

Humphrey
    Participant

I don’t pay any attention to Fauria at all. I don’t think he knows his ass from his elbow. Hopefully, I’m right.

Lebron
    Participant

I saw some doc with Grohl and he talked about all the time Nirvana spent in vans.  It was great.

I honestly can’t believe he does podcasts with people like Tarantino and Grohl.  Doesn’t a guy like Tarantino say ‘who the fuck is this guy and I’m firing my agent as soon as I’m out of here’?

Yahtzee
    Participant

Few things make me happier than an unhappy David Robertson.

Lebron
    Participant

Maybe Robertson should be mad at the Yankee hitters that did jack shit in Games 6 and 7 in ’17.  Same with the Dodgers, maybe get more than 1 run in Game 7 or maybe Cody Bellinger shouldn’t strike out 20+ times in the series.  I understand feeling like you got screwed but you also could have done more to help yourselves.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Media all mad following today’s Astros presser.  We demand answers!  Your apology isn’t good enough!  I wonder if anyone is trying to get an interview with a player to get more into the nuts and bolts of how it worked and examples like yeah in this at bat I knew the slow ball was coming so I sat on it and crushed it or even yeah I knew what was coming but I still couldn’t do anything with it.  Like Gammo’s old ‘steroids can’t help you hit a baseball!’ it’s not like in all instances they got hits when they knew what was coming.  Or even times when they got the signal one thing was coming and it didn’t.  Sounds like hard work though.  Nah, I’ll just bitch.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Didn’t someone post the home/away splits for a lot of the Astro hitters and there really wasn’t much of a difference? Or did I imagine that? I love how every pitcher who shit the bed now has a built in excuse. “Wasn’t me being awful. Had to be cheating”. Sort of fits in with this whole generation actually.

Since it appears everyone knew they were cheating, why didn’t teams just change the signs? I honestly dont understand why mixing the signs up based on which inning or whatever wouldn’t have worked. All it would take is one hitter leaning over the plate expecting a curveball and instead getting a fastball in the ear. I dont think he would trust the trash can banging after that.

Lebron
    Participant

Some pitcher who got shellacked then I think he got DFA’d afterward is suing to have the Astros make him whole as he would have been paid if still up in the bigs or some such.  It’s pathetic.  Never my fault or I just don’t have it, nope, has to be something or someone else.

Stealing signs has always been out there, guy on second taps his helmet or touches his jersey and the hitter knows what’s coming.  Players notice a tell from a pitcher and they of course tell their teammates.  If he shrugs his shoulder it means he’s coming with heat, if he scratches his nose it’s a curveball.  Babe Ruth got smacked around early in his career because he was sticking his tongue out of the corner of his mouth when he was throwing a curve.  Drives me insane hearing the old guard media scream about how much of a black mark this is on the game.

And the Astros won the Series in ’17, got crushed in the ALCS in ’18 losing all 3 games at home, and lost the Series in ’19 including all 4 games at home and getting outscored at home 30-11.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Jim Crane, the owner: “I don’t think I should be held accountable… Our opinion is this didn’t impact the game. We had a good team. We won the World Series and we’ll leave it at that.”

Not a Harry Truman “the buck stops here” guy. And why do it if it doesn’t impact the game?

Lebron
    Participant

I don’t blame Crane in taking the ‘hey we took it a step further than the commissioner, he suspended these guys and I fired them’ angle in telling the holier than thou media to fuck off.  Of course the media wants a players cut or contracts terminated or the team to suspend players.  It’s not feasible and it’s not going to happen.  Part of Crane’s defense is I’m rarely if ever in the clubhouse let alone the team for that matter.  Which of course is ironic in that most fans and media want hands off owners.  But combine this and the assistant GM that stood up for the woman slapping pitcher and sounds like he needs to be more than just a hands off owner.  Which he claims he now will be.

Bregman doesn’t owe anyone anything but I thought it was funny that he started off by putting it on the team and the organization, then said yeah sorry I participated.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar