Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 2/10-2/16 2020 Weekly Thread

Viewing 23 posts - 51 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Why didn’t Craneo just accept what Manfred was giving him and end the rhetoric?

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Montreal’s sports talker doing “who are your greatest sportscasters ever?” poll.

I laughed out loud when someone submitted, “Anyone not named Jack Edwards.”

:lol:

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Lefty

Am I correct in remembering media types were unhappy with Ainge’s draft moves that produced Tatum?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Am I correct in remembering media types were unhappy with Ainge’s draft moves that produced Tatum?

I mean, he passed on Markelle Fultz and Lonzo Ball. What the hell is he doing?

Coma
    Participant

Did Bedard ever follow up on his announcement that he’ll have big news soon regarding his hyperlocal, no hottakes site? Or is that in queue behind the Loyko investigation?

I didn’t watch or read anything related to the Astros’ press conferences yesterday. I assume it wasn’t asked, but I’d be interested to hear if anyone asked “How did you think you were going to get away with this?” If there’s an attractive woman or some person acting like an idiot in the seats behind the plate, people notice that. If I was a Houston fan, I’d like to think I’d eventually notice that there was a banging sound when my team was at bat that I wasn’t hearing when the other team was at the plate. If someone at home could pick up on that, then people with the ability to question it could have.

Humphrey
    Participant

If true, how many years did it take for the NY Baseball Giants scheme in 1951 take to get revealed?

Seems like it should have been known as soon as some of their guys ended up on other teams, just like with this matter.

Lefty

If Boston has a useful baseball reporter, he/she would have already gone thru game tapes looking for the sounds of banging barrels or done similar recurring sound that might indicate signaling.   But the media here would just rather wait for mlb to hand them something.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

If true, how many years did it take for the NY Baseball Giants scheme in 1951 take to get revealed?

Seems like it should have been known as soon as some of their guys ended up on other teams, just like with this matter.

Yeah, those Giants were pretty tight-lipped about it.  They used a telescope from their home clubhouse (in center field at the old Polo Grounds) and a light or buzzer relay to their bullpen, who somehow tipped off their third-base coach, who was their manager, Leo Durocher, at the time. (What? Leo Durocher cheat?  Outrageous.) I think it was their second-string catcher, Sal Yvars, who spilled the beans years later. He was usually out in the bullpen and thus was the relay man to Durocher.

Coma
    Participant

If Boston has a useful baseball reporter, he/she would have already gone thru game tapes looking for the sounds of banging barrels or done similar recurring sound that might indicate signaling. But the media here would just rather wait for mlb to hand them something.

Or wait for a fan to do all the work.

Lebron
    Participant

Media was more worried about appearing to be hard asses and claiming that Crane’s and the player’s statements weren’t enough, and Crane didn’t answer their questions or was evasive.  If I was Crane I would have stopped and said ‘why don’t you tell me what it is you want me to do and I’ll tell you why no sane business person would do that.’  It always floors me how people take shit so personally and demand answers and apologies and similarly how players should take hometown discounts out of loyalty or owners should shell out whatever, the ultimate answer always being ‘they’re rich and it’s not my money!’  If you don’t like what Crane or the players said, then just make a note to self that you don’t like these people or that team, and get the fuck on with your life.  They owe you nothing, just take whatever they say and evaluate however you want to feel about it.  And it’s easy to make money decisions when it’s not your money.  I can spend the fuck out of other people’s money.   Sure I’m unhappy they traded Betts and feel like they could have possibly done more, but committing to a decade plus and 120 more than what you offered is a lot and if they didn’t want to do it or felt there was zero path forward, that’s their decision.  They don’t owe me shit, and I can make choices to think they suck as owners/GMs and not buy their product.  And you still have people screaming just give him 12/420, that’s the answer!  Except of course it’s not their money and maybe Betts said I don’t care what you offer me now I’m going to see what’s out there and they had an idea what he was looking for or would get and that they didn’t want to get into that.  If Crane and the players said you know what you’re right we’re going to give back everything – rings/trophies/awards/refunds to fans who paid to see our games/any pitchers we lit up and subsequently got DFA’d we’ll make you whole.  What then?  Does it all go away now?  Are the media and fans now satisfied and will now forget everything happened?  Fuck no.  Plus if someone came for a media member’s ill begotten clicks for bullshit stories they peddle that aren’t correct, would they say hey I’ll go ahead and refund everyone and take my made up awards etc.?  Fuck no.  So everyone shut the fuck up already.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Bellinger blasts Astros: They stole a ring from us

4-29 with 17ks.  .143 average .565 OPS .  You were fucking horrible.

And before he gets started on ’18, 1-16 with 6ks.  .063 average and .125 OPS.  You got benched against lefties.  The guy is terrible in the postseason.  24-135 and 52ks.  Like .174 with a .560 OPS.  Spare me.

Lebron
    Participant

Now Cashman crying.  And some report circulating about all these teams that called the Nationals telling them how to beat the Astros.  So now sharing scouting reports or whatever else to beat one team isn’t giving that team a distinct advantage?  Fuck all of these crybabies

BrianInLA
    Participant

Did you see the Nationals twitter feed give a shout out to the Yankees saying “We took care of business for you” ? Now the poor, gazillionaire Yankees need someone else to do their work for them? The Yanks were happy with the tweet it seems. I’d be a tad miffed as it could be seen as a dig.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

It’s quite a testament to the Yankees forthrightness and moral infallibility that Carlos Beltran helped the Astros cheat in 2018 and got fired because he would undoubtably help the Mets cheat in 2020 but definitely did not help the Yankees cheat in 2019 while in their employ.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

If it hadn’t been for the sainted pinstripes, Billy Martin would have behaved like an obnoxious drunk, punching marshmallow salesmen and getting into fights in hotel bars!

….Oh, wait.

Lebron
    Participant

Kris Bryant, Trevor Bauer.  These players won’t shut up.  I hope the Astros go 162-0 and charge mounds wielding bats all year if anyone throws at them.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

It would also tickle me to the core if the Yankees and Dodgers were inexplicably mediocre on offense this season and the cheating teams rolled on.

Lefty

There is something more than a little hypocritical about the baseball purists prattling on About how sign stealing is sewn into the fabric of the grand game and part of it’s fancy dancy attraction – except ONLY when it’s done by guys wearing loose flannels and spitting tobacco. Once the technology takes a step forward that’s to be totally thrown out as terrible.

they created the acceptance and are now SHOCKED that people brought up in a culture of acceptable sign stealing figured out a better way

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I need to invent and patent a catchers’ mitt and a pitchers’ glove with a pocket sewn in the back in which you can keep your cell phone and text each other the pitching signs. Problem solved.

Yahtzee
    Participant

There is something more than a little hypocritical about the baseball purists prattling on About how sign stealing is sewn into the fabric of the grand game and part of it’s fancy dancy attraction – except ONLY when it’s done by guys wearing loose flannels and spitting tobacco. Once the technology takes a step forward that’s to be totally thrown out as terrible.

they created the acceptance and are now SHOCKED that people brought up in a culture of acceptable sign stealing figured out a better way

What’s the Venn diagram of those who are horrified and those who thought Gaylord Perry’s spitball was rakish roguery?

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Another baseball hypocrisy trope ready for exposure. Both of these examples are from 1967:

(1) “Jim Lonborg won the Cy Young and the pennant for the Sox because he learned how to pitch inside and struck fear into the heart of batters.”

vs.

(2) “Tony C’s career was brutally cut short from that dastardly beanball thrown by head-hunter Jack Hamilton!”

:dry:

Coma
    Participant

Kris Bryant, Trevor Bauer. These players won’t shut up. I hope the Astros go 162-0 and charge mounds wielding bats all year if anyone throws at them.

The people advocating that opposing pitchers throw at Houston batters as punishment are morons. If someone plunks an Astros batter, does anyone think the Astros’ pitchers won’t retaliate? It’s great to talk tough when you’re not facing the prospect of getting hit by a major league fastball. If I was a position player facing the Astros this season, I’d say “Let’s show how pissed off we are about this scandal by winning the game.”

Coma
    Participant

It’s quite a testament to the Yankees forthrightness and moral infallibility that Carlos Beltran helped the Astros cheat in 2018 and got fired because he would undoubtably help the Mets cheat in 2020 but definitely did not help the Yankees cheat in 2019 while in their employ.

Beltran also played for the Yankees from 2014 through August of 2016. I’m sure he never thought of stealing signals while with the Yankees and what the team learned from him hasn’t contributed to the increased productivity from mediocre players in NY.

Viewing 23 posts - 51 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar