Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 2/14/18 Daily Thread – The Love Boat

This topic contains 84 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Big Fat O 9 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 85 total)
  • Author

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

It’s a Valentine’s Day Lovefest! Share the Red Sox (ownership)! Embrace the latest WEEI controversy! Give Callahan a much-needed (same-sex? interracial?) hug!

TwoTimes
    Participant

I hope Dino finds love somewhere along the I-495 corridor.  Allegedly.

Nick B
    Participant

just like that Team USA loses in OT

TwoTimes
    Participant

Is Janos one of us?

Participant

Jack Hynes will not be down for NewsCenter 5 at Noon.

The co-star of Two Outs weighs in on David Price and Fenway atmosphere – again – no one can figure out why the paper only sold for $12 Mil?

“He recognizes that as a team leader, he has the power, and the responsibility, to create a better atmosphere at Fenway Park”

Huh? They didn’t win the division THE RIGHT WAY I guess.

“It’s no secret last year’s Red Sox were a grumpy, dysfunctional bunch, and please stop with all the claptrap about how they finished first in the American League East.”

Alex Reimer is a terrific human being and I had lunch with him and his dad and they talked baseball….

“But it’s also no secret Price handcrafted the malaise that existed in the clubhouse, what with his infamous charter-flight verbal beatdown of NESN analyst/Hall of Famer Dennis Eckersley and that immature tirade he directed at a collection of sportswriters in the visiting clubhouse at Yankee Stadium.”

Hacksaw
    Participant

Jack Hynes will not be down for NewsCenter 5 at Noon. The co-star of Two Outs weighs in on David Price and Fenway atmosphere – again – no one can figure out why the paper only sold for $12 Mil? “He recognizes that as a team leader, he has the power, and the responsibility, to create a better atmosphere at Fenway Park” Huh? They didn’t win the division THE RIGHT WAY I guess. “It’s no secret last year’s Red Sox were a grumpy, dysfunctional bunch, and please stop with all the claptrap about how they finished first in the American League East.” Alex Reimer is a terrific human being and I had lunch with him and his dad and they talked baseball…. “But it’s also no secret Price handcrafted the malaise that existed in the clubhouse, what with his infamous charter-flight verbal beatdown of NESN analyst/Hall of Famer Dennis Eckersley and that immature tirade he directed at a collection of sportswriters in the visiting clubhouse at Yankee Stadium.”

Which pretty much means team didn’t speak to the press and not white enough. I bet there is more people with note pads in that locker room than players.

The Atlanta Braves had the same problem with their  TV crew back in the 90’s and they managed to win.  More people thought it was funny then dysfunctional.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 4 weeks ago by  Hacksaw.

NASCL
    Participant

Bruins had the ’78 team in last night.

Like many, I never really appreciated the guy when he played – probably because he wasn’t a physical player – but Peter McNab put up some great numbers while in Boston.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/m/mcnabpe01.html

Lefty

Bruins had the ’78 team in last night. Like many, I never really appreciated the guy when he played – probably because he wasn’t a physical player – but Peter McNab put up some great numbers while in Boston. https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/m/mcnabpe01.html

McNabb was one of my favorite players at that time.   41 goals was a hell of a lot of goals in that era.  Always thought he was overlooked for how good he was while he was here.   Crappy trade when they sent him out, got Jim Nill back.   Sheesh.

Lefty

While on the Bruins, the trade deadline is next week.

I see Haggerty is reporting the Bruins want Nash from the Rangers.   I am glad Haggerty is reporting it, because that means it won’t happen.

What I would like to see them do is add a veteran forward with short handed ability and a center who can take late game/defensive faceoffs.    I don’t think the Bruins can continue to roll Marchand and Bergeron out there on their top PK unit through the playoffs.   Can’t play those guys top line, top power play and top PK, they will get worn into the ground.  Especially if they go against Tampa Bay, which has a really good power play.   Need someone else out there to take some heat off.   I was thinking a guy like Granlund from Vancouver, but he just went on IR.   Not sure who else is out there

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Bruins had the ’78 team in last night. Like many, I never really appreciated the guy when he played – probably because he wasn’t a physical player – but Peter McNab put up some great numbers while in Boston. https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/m/mcnabpe01.html

McNabb was one of my favorite players at that time. 41 goals was a hell of a lot of goals in that era. Always thought he was overlooked for how good he was while he was here. Crappy trade when they sent him out, got Jim Nill back. Sheesh.

He was not physical enough for many Garden fans. In fact, they used to chant “Mary … Mary … Mary” when he lugged the puck, much as they did in the 1960s for Don McKenney, another center who was known for finesse.

InThisTown
    Participant

Is Janos one of us?

God I hope not. What shit.

Lefty

McNabb was one of my favorite players at that time. 41 goals was a hell of a lot of goals in that era. Always thought he was overlooked for how good he was while he was here. Crappy trade when they sent him out, got Jim Nill back. Sheesh.

He was not physical enough for many Garden fans. In fact, they used to chant “Mary … Mary … Mary” when he lugged the puck, much as they did in the 1960s for Don McKenney, another center who was known for finesse.

I remember that.  I think it lead to him being sent out of town, too.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Just a thought, but because so many sports writers/columnists — especially in this town — spend so much time and electrons wailing about the “slow free agent market” and hyping the Red Sox to jump on JD Martinez, has any one of those pampered weasels (that’s the press) spent ANY time or effort to try to discern the underlying business reasons for the slow FA market this year? Examined MLB-wide or even pro sports-wide trends? Are profits up? Spend-per-fan that can justify big contracts? Is there a demonstrable correlation between big bats and interest/attendance? Are there markets where the paid gate is more important than others or does the TV money pretty much flatten the field except for the Yankees, Cubs, Sox, Dodgers and maybe Giants? If so, what’s the reverberating effect? If, for example, signing Martinez brings the red Sox one additional regular season victory and an added win in the first round of the playoffs, then how can that be justified? And is there any indication that such a signing would sell more seats?

Oh, I get it. That would replace agent-fed hand wringing with actual reporting. My bad.

By the way, even if they were a collection of devil-worshipping fentanyl dealers — which I’m fairly certain they weren’t — the 2017 Red Sox couldn’t possibly be more unlikeable than the people that ‘cover’ them.

Kevin
    Participant

Still not worth hearing Dale say “Grapes, I bet teams were scared to come into your barn back then..”

:puke:

Feejis
    Participant

While on the Bruins, the trade deadline is next week. I see Haggerty is reporting the Bruins want Nash from the Rangers. I am glad Haggerty is reporting it, because that means it won’t happen. What I would like to see them do is add a veteran forward with short handed ability and a center who can take late game/defensive faceoffs. I don’t think the Bruins can continue to roll Marchand and Bergeron out there on their top PK unit through the playoffs. Can’t play those guys top line, top power play and top PK, they will get worn into the ground. Especially if they go against Tampa Bay, which has a really good power play. Need someone else out there to take some heat off. I was thinking a guy like Granlund from Vancouver, but he just went on IR. Not sure who else is out there

Chris Kelly will be free once the Olympics are finished….

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Extend Marquis Flowers, Bill!

Edit: response to Bedard

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I remember that. I think it lead to him being sent out of town, too.

The hazing was probably a function of McNab’s size, 6’4″ or so, which people probably thought was “wasted” on such a gentleman-ly player. (Did Ken Hodge get the same treatment with the Big Bad Bruins of 1967-1974? I seem to recall people felt he didn’t use his size enough, except for scoring goals.  :lol: )
    Which leads back to McNab: his job was scoring goals and dishing out assists, and he did it well. He had O’Reilly on his right wing, and teammates like Wensink, Jonathan and Cashman to pummel opponents into submission.  If I recall, he was sort of slow, but that didn’t hamper his production and he gave them seven seasons where he played over 75 games. His biggest crime was probably finishing in the top 3 for the Lady Byng one year.  :smile:

Kevin
    Participant

The baseball fagolas sucking up to Merloni last night are the worst.

“Where were all these fans before Brady?” is such a terrible argument. It’s not like he’s been here a couple of seasons.

Oh, so you’ve only followed the team closely for 16 years now, Pink Hat?

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

“You only started rooting for the Patriots when they were winning!”

”I’m 17 years old.”

InThisTown
    Participant

Still not worth hearing Dale say “Grapes, I bet teams were scared to come into your barn back then..” :puke:

No fucking way.  :lol:

Lebron
    Participant

McNabb is the color guy for the Avalanche, has been since the inaugural season in ’95.  Went to DU although not sure if he’s from here.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

McNabb is the color guy for the Avalanche, has been since the inaugural season in ’95. Went to DU although not sure if he’s from here.

His father was Max McNab, a longtime minor league player and coach who was GM with the Canucks and Capitals of the NHL during Peter’s playing career.  Peter was born in Vancouver but grew up in San Diego, where his father was GM/coach of the Gulls of the old Western Pro League. Even in the 1970s, DU had a great hockey program.

EDIT: Max was GM of the Caps (after Milt Schmidt) in the 1970s and the Devils (before Lou Lamoriello) in the 1980s.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Is Janos one of us?

You don’t like the Janos?  :lol: That must pay the equivalent of $2.10 in some inscrutable Balkan currency.

C’mon, he’s like Zlad!, or Borat. Would you like him better if claimed to drive a truck full of shavings for his pretend job?

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Hacksaw
    Participant

Extend Marquis Flowers, Bill! Edit: response to Bedard

I am taking this that BB lifted the gag order and all the chips are on the table for next season. Talk shit and pummel the oppositions ass!

InThisTown
    Participant

Is Janos one of us?

You don’t like the Janos? 😆 That must pay the equivalent of $2.10 in some inscrutable Balkan currency. C’mon, he’s like Zlad!, or Borat. Would you like him better if claimed to drive a truck full of shavings?

WE GET IT YOU’RE FOREIGN.

It’s like the worst drawn out SNL skit that was funny for ten seconds.

InThisTown
    Participant

Extend Marquis Flowers, Bill! https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js Edit: response to Bedard

I am taking this that BB lifted the gag order and all the chips are on the table for next season. Talk shit and pummel the oppositions ass!

So cut next week.  :lol:

Feejis
    Participant

While on the Bruins, the trade deadline is next week. I see Haggerty is reporting the Bruins want Nash from the Rangers. I am glad Haggerty is reporting it, because that means it won’t happen. What I would like to see them do is add a veteran forward with short handed ability and a center who can take late game/defensive faceoffs. I don’t think the Bruins can continue to roll Marchand and Bergeron out there on their top PK unit through the playoffs. Can’t play those guys top line, top power play and top PK, they will get worn into the ground. Especially if they go against Tampa Bay, which has a really good power play. Need someone else out there to take some heat off. I was thinking a guy like Granlund from Vancouver, but he just went on IR. Not sure who else is out there

Chris Kelly will be free once the Olympics are finished….

In all seriousness Krejci and Nash are both over 50% on faceoffs. I think they’re ok there but upgrades are always good.

BrianInLA
    Participant

My 11 year old self loved McNab in the Strat O Matic game.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Is Janos one of us?

You don’t like the Janos? 😆 That must pay the equivalent of $2.10 in some inscrutable Balkan currency. C’mon, he’s like Zlad!, or Borat. Would you like him better if claimed to drive a truck full of shavings?

WE GET IT YOU’RE FOREIGN. It’s like the worst drawn out SNL skit that was funny for ten seconds.

A little Janos does go a long way. Much like the traditional seasonings in his homeland’s native dish.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Big Fat O
    Participant

Extend Marquis Flowers, Bill! https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js Edit: response to Bedard

So cut next week. 😆

BB would look the other way when it comes to Coach Betard. He feels the same way as the rest of us.

NASCL
    Participant

No idea what to expect from this Bruins team.  Could easily be one and done or, conversely, a Cup Finalist.

They have a boatload of young assets to trade.

No on Nash.  No on Lucic.

Yes on Coyle.

I think McDonagh would be too expensive and, in any event, would prefer a forward.

Lefty

No idea what to expect from this Bruins team. Could easily be one and done or, conversely, a Cup Finalist. They have a boatload of young assets to trade. No on Nash. No on Lucic. Yes on Coyle. I think McDonagh would be too expensive and, in any event, would prefer a forward.

Coyle’s at $3.2M for the next two seasons after this one.   If you bring him in, you should send Spooner out, which wouldn’t bother me.  Spooner is at $2.8M this year, but is a RFA and will probably push $3M if you want to bring him back.  (I wouldn’t)

No on Lucic and his contract would be a killer for five full seasons after this one  :ohmy:

I don’t want Nash at all, but at least he is an UFA at the end of the year and you can walk away from him.

As much as I am not a Chiarelli fan, I am looking for a Peverley/Kelly type acquisition like he made to solidify the back end of the roster going into the playoffs.   I’m not an Acciari, Vatrano, Kuraly, Schaller fan.    Maybe a vet defenseman to back up and keep Postma away from the ice as well.

Suzy
    Participant

Jack Hynes will not be down for NewsCenter 5 at Noon. The co-star of Two Outs weighs in on David Price and Fenway atmosphere – again – no one can figure out why the paper only sold for $12 Mil? “He recognizes that as a team leader, he has the power, and the responsibility, to create a better atmosphere at Fenway Park” Huh? They didn’t win the division THE RIGHT WAY I guess. “It’s no secret last year’s Red Sox were a grumpy, dysfunctional bunch, and please stop with all the claptrap about how they finished first in the American League East.” Alex Reimer is a terrific human being and I had lunch with him and his dad and they talked baseball…. “But it’s also no secret Price handcrafted the malaise that existed in the clubhouse, what with his infamous charter-flight verbal beatdown of NESN analyst/Hall of Famer Dennis Eckersley and that immature tirade he directed at a collection of sportswriters in the visiting clubhouse at Yankee Stadium.”

“handcrafted the malaise”? WTF does that even mean? And please, “verbal beatdown”? What sort of pussy even writes those words?  I look forward to Price continuing to shit on the Boston media in 2018.  :wub:

Unrelated, I’d never heard about the sexual harassment stuff regarding Shaun White before, ugh. Read some pretty disgusting alleged details this morning.  :ohmy:

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

EEI just announced that no live programming on friday so all employees can attend sensitivity training.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

EEI just announced that no live programming on friday so all employees can attend sensitivity training.

That prick Dale definitely needs it.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I hope Bob gives the team to Jonathan on Thursday night.

Participant

Lou and Glenny want you to know that they care about the “peoplebehindthescenes”……

Big Fat O
    Participant

We’re not missing anything.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

LJSandwich
    Participant

Sensitivity Training!  That will have the sponsors racing back.

Minihane spent all morning acting like a petulant brat and clowning around with Tanguay.  He’s now at page 125 from the Howard Stern playbook.  Trying to get fired so he can prove he’s too toxic for terrestial radio.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Please broadcast the sensitivity training, OK? Thank you.

Participant

Please broadcast the sensitivity training, OK? Thank you.

Exactly, opportunity missed.

Does Riemer have to go?

Cwaig and Larry?

Will Gerry wear a dashiki?

Kevin
    Participant

So great. :lol:

Lebron
    Participant

Like when Chipolte closed for a day so they could train employees to wash their hands.

Over/under on Callahan eye rolls during this has to be what, 85 1/2?

GusChiggins
    Participant

So cut next week. 😆

Definitely. You know Belichick has a great deal of respect for Craig. Craig said so himself.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Prince Henrik seems like a reasonable dude. Holding a grudge for 50 years.

rclane
    Participant

Lena Dunham is had a genuinely rotten cvnt.

Edited to add: spare yourself the details. It’s as gross as you’d guess.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 4 weeks ago by  rclane.

NASCL
    Participant

How long do the Red Sox wait before the Tito Francona smear campaign starts?

Kevin
    Participant

Dale Arnold has to sit through eight hours of torturous sensitivity training because Christian Fauria has the IQ of a stump. Fucking glorious! :lol:

Hacksaw
    Participant

If they are announcing it….its for on air radio content since no one will be late to  Spring Training.

They  have a four day weekend instead of a three day weekend.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 4 weeks ago by  Hacksaw.
Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar