Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 2/17-2/23/2020 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Well, John Henry explained the Betts trade. I’m convinced!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

I saw a clip on twitter of Tomase talking about Chris Sale with Merloni. I’ve made it a point to avoid seeing or reading Tomase, and that 80 second video reinforced that decision. I have no problem with mocking Lou for putting shoe polish in his hair and goatee. At least he’s vain enough to care about his appearance. Shut-in pro wrestling fans feel better about themselves when they see Tomase. While his voice alone isn’t grating, the shit he says makes it offensive. I’m sure that being in his presence would be an affront to all 5 senses.

To build off something Lebron posted on Friday, all these media types aren’t happy with the Astros punishment and want more punitive actions taken. It’s the standard lack of self-awareness that anytime a member of lodge gets in trouble, the media ignores, downplays, or, in Tomase’s case, pretends it never happened. With a player/coach/owner, though, they need to pay the maximum penalty in addition to groveling for forgiveness. I don’t know how his crimes against journalism would translate to baseball rule violations, but if Tomase was a major leaguer, the media would want him kicked out the game, all his stats erased and that he be digitally removed from recordings of any game he appeared in.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Hotdog Verdugo says #12 isn’t flashy enough a number for him, so he asks for, and Red Sox give him, #99.

He should change his last name to CHARLESTOWN for the sake of the road uniforms.

(And Aaron Judge is a dick for making 99 his number, too.)

John Henry-owned state media organ noting today that ST renewals were down 20 percent before the Betts trade.  I hope that the NESN ratings plunge, too.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Listened to the Simmons podcast with Rusillo. They were talking about ways to tweak the dunk contest, and Simmons asks Russillo “Ever see that show The Masked Singer?”  For a glorious moment I think that Simmons was about to propose that the dunkers would all be wearing elaborate animal costumes while dunking and I’d support that unironicly. Alas he wanted the judges to be anonymous which is much less fun.

Also, he thinks that changing the scoring scale from 50 to 100 would give the scoring nuance while Rusillo pointed out the judges would just give 100s instead of 50s.

Lefty

While I refuse to read anything he writes, I can see from the headline and lede that Steve Buckley is in full Aunt Bea mode about Verdugo.

for that reason alone I have decided to give Verdugo every benefit of the doubt and to root for him to do very well.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

Who doesn’t like feel good stories like this?

And a big fuck you to the asshole who showed up 20 minutes late to dinner tonight, then said his girlfriend was a vegetarian and didn’t like the menu, ended with “charge my card we’re leaving,” walked out… And his card got declined. People suck.”

Participant

I read about the reclining issue last week. I fall on the side of not reclining unless I’m in coach and the person in front of me has succeeded at reclining fully. But usually I am able to foil the recliner. I do it subtly, and have been doing it for years. You can usually tell when a person is about to recline—the person begins to move the seat back hesitatingly, and sometimes looks back to be sure he/she is being polite. So, on this flight, the woman in front of me began to slow recline and I did what I do. I placed my fist in the middle of her seat as she reclined; she probably got about halfway back to a fully reclining position and then pushed a couple of times and realized she was at the recline limit. And that was it. If she’d reclined to the max, my ability to type in a middle seat (in this case, with both seat-mates working on laptops as well) for the next six hours would have been impacted severely. I might have given up, and you’d be reading a shorter column today. As it was, the working conditions were awful.

Airplanes are so uncomfortable and tight these days that, as I see it, it’s every worker bee for him/herself. And that’s my reclining ethos.”

Suzy
    Participant

ended with “charge my card we’re leaving,” walked out… And his card got declined.

:lol:

This guy’s my hero!

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Zolak was on a Twitter jag this week about “the person in front of me better not dream of reclining.” Real tough guy shit.

Lebron
    Participant

How hard is this reclining stuff?  Personally I don’t recline, but if the person in front of me reclines, who cares?  And no way Pete does that, guy is a gigantic pussy, no way he’s making a fist and putting it in the middle of the seatback.  And what does that really do anyway?  Oh no, I can’t work during a flight!  Relax doctor, no one dies if your shitty powerpoint isn’t done when you land.

Lebron
    Participant

Doesn’t any decent restaurant offer vegetarian options?  Who cares about 20 minutes late.  If it’s a ‘seating’ type thing just shovel the food out if they are there, they’re there, if not, oh well.  Why get that upset over it?

Lebron
    Participant

So she just had the card number?  I guess from when they made the initial reservation to hold the seating but you wouldn’t have said pay the remainder now and run a physical card, thus giving you the opportunity to actually get paid if it got declined or if it was a stolen number?  Dummy.

jforb
    Participant

She can’t get a hold on the money like a hotel does?

jforb
    Participant

Also after the good looking food from Italy, she’s back to posting her puke

Participant

Zolak was on a Twitter jag this week about “the person in front of me better not dream of reclining.” Real tough guy shit.

He’ll stage dive them back into the stoneage.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

This Week in the NFL, Week 1, 1970, with Pat Summerall and Tom Brookshier

This was the first week of the new, merged National Football League. The Patriots’ highlights are first, and thus, we see their first ever game in the NFL.  Spoiler Alert: They spoil Shula’s Dolphins debut, 27-14, at Harvard Stadium.

:wub:

They mention that Clive Rush suspended two Pats’ players just before kickoff. Could this be the famous game when Harpo Galdieux, sitting in the stands and swilling beer, is paged on the PA system, re-signs with the Pats, and is on their kickoff team — while his beer is getting warm in the stands?

:lol:

Humphrey
    Participant

Yes, I found it in Pro Football Reference. 1970 season, their only one on Soldiers Field Road.

What’s rather strange about Gladieux is he played the first two games of the season for the Pats, the next two for the Bills; was gone for 5 weeks, then the last 5 games (14 game season) for the Pats again.

Coma
    Participant

How hard is this reclining stuff? Personally I don’t recline, but if the person in front of me reclines, who cares? And no way Pete does that, guy is a gigantic pussy, no way he’s making a fist and putting it in the middle of the seatback. And what does that really do anyway? Oh no, I can’t work during a flight! Relax doctor, no one dies if your shitty powerpoint isn’t done when you land.

Even if he did it, which is doubtful (then again, he is asshole enough to do it), PK’s seat blocking strategy doesn’t seem like it would have a high success rate. If he has some physically weak, non-confrontational person in front of him, it could work. If there’s someone who’s more assertive and doesn’t follow Pete’s slow, polite hypothetical or someone who flies frequently and knows how far back their seat should recline, they’re going to keep pushing until the seat is all the way back. What if Pete’s ploy works initially and then they try to recline again after he’s relaxed? There is a long list of reasons to think this, but, if you were sitting next to PK watching this, you’ve got to be thinking “What a dickhead.”

jforb
    Participant

Not that big a guy so the reclining isn’t a huge deal but if I see PK taking the middle seat next to me

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

I thought the whining about the Patriots was bad, but baseball players are putting on a master class complaining about the Astros. I’ve now come around to view Marshall Faulk’s comments as measured and objective.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Agreed. Somehow the whining has made me come full circle and actually want to root for the Astros this season. Especially out here where the butt hurt is off the charts. As has been pointed out many times on here, lots of Dodgers hitters shit the bed in back to back post seasons and that has absolutely nothing to do with trash cans. But give everyone an easy cop out? Sign them all up. Seeing poor Aaron Judge saying the Astros should be stripped of their title is beyond comical. Tormund Justin Turner saying the actual trophy is now basically worthless? Suck it up Sally. Be better. Try harder. Damn soft kids these days. Where is Ozzy when you need him. Everyone one of these players is playing right into the media hands.

BrianInLA
    Participant

I actually may buy an Altuve jersey this weekend just for kicks.

Lebron
    Participant

Turner in the ’17 World Series – 4/25 for a .160 average.  .683 OPS.  2 fucking runs batted in.  Jesus Christ.  Of course not a single person in the media has challenged guys like Bellinger or Judge or Turner with regard to their performance in those series and that what the Astros did had zero effect on them coming up short.

Participant

Would a team made up of 9 Brock’s beat a team made up of 9 Trot’s?

#Gritty

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

I actually may buy an Altuve jersey this weekend just for kicks.

Going back to the theory that Altuve was wearing a buzzer and that’s why he didn’t want his jersey ripped off after a walk-off HR, if you’re a team that is concealing electronics under their jerseys, why would you have a tradition of pulling a batters jersey off? At some point earlier in the season, someone would have said, “Guys, we need to conceal the evidence, so come up with a new celebration.”  The “Oh, shit!” moment would not have come in the deciding game of the ALCS.

5 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar