Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 2/17-2/23/2020 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    BrianInLA
    Participant

Would a team made up of 9 Brock’s beat a team made up of 9 Trot’s?

#Gritty

Still one of the funniest things I’ve heard since living out here was when ex-wife’s relatives were in town from Boston (though born and raised in LA) and I was asking the 11 year old who his favorite Sox player was and without missing a beat he said “Brock Holt”. I asked why and he said “I like him because he’s scrappy”. Another generation brainwashed by the media.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Hacksaw
    Participant

Speaking of scrappy….why is Len Sakata not being considered for any managerial jobs.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Suzy
    Participant

Agreed. Somehow the whining has made me come full circle and actually want to root for the Astros this season. Especially out here where the butt hurt is off the charts. As has been pointed out many times on here, lots of Dodgers hitters shit the bed in back to back post seasons and that has absolutely nothing to do with trash cans. But give everyone an easy cop out? Sign them all up. Seeing poor Aaron Judge saying the Astros should be stripped of their title is beyond comical. Tormund Justin Turner saying the actual trophy is now basically worthless? Suck it up Sally. Be better. Try harder. Damn soft kids these days. Where is Ozzy when you need him. Everyone one of these players is playing right into the media hands.

Right? It’s embarrassing. They all need a Vito slap.

Lebron
    Participant

Giancarlo Stanton sounds off on Astros’ 2017 scheme: I’d hit 80 home runs if I knew the pitch

We’ll obviously call last year a scratch but your first year in the AL you struck out 211 times.  Even last year in 72 ABs he struck out 24 times.  Worry about making contact.

Keep hearing ‘if I knew the pitch then…’ bullshit.  Stop it.  Granted you get fooled sometimes but stop crying like you have absolutely no clue what pitch a guy is going to throw.  In some instances you have a very good idea of what they are going to throw.  It comes down to location and if you actually hit it.  If the Astros knew all the pitches why didn’t they set some HR record or hit like .750 as a team?  Obviously they had an advantage but stop acting like the pitchers were throwing soft toss underhand.

2 users thanked author for this post.

As has been pointed out many times on here, lots of Dodgers hitters shit the bed in back to back post seasons and that has absolutely nothing to do with trash cans. But give everyone an easy cop out? Sign them all up. Seeing poor Aaron Judge saying the Astros should be stripped of their title is beyond comical. Tormund Justin Turner saying the actual trophy is now basically worthless? Suck it up Sally. Be better. Try harder.

I should probably be paying better attention given the parallels with  Spygate, but it’s so exhausting. But what you said was Spygate to a T: perfect storm of losing players searching for an excuse, losing owners looking to stick it to Kraft, loser media looking to stick it to Belichick, and loser fans all in on burnishing their raging confirmation biases.

I have no idea how serious the Astros’ offense actually was, but the righteous indignation coming from all the usual suspects has me rooting for them.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Speaking of scrappy….why is Len Sakata not being considered for any managerial jobs.

Because Benny Ayala has first dibs.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I mean, I believe that it’s been demonstrated that the Astros did enact a system that gave their players a legitimate advantage in games whereas I still believe in the Patriots case they did nothing wrong, at least nothing worth more than a token fine. I wouldn’t be surprised if Cora did the same in Boston (and Beltran for the NYY, but no one is talking about that).

However, I am enjoying the Dodgers and Yankees going into complete whiner mode.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Most of the people complaining about the Astros are ones who could barely hit a 50 mph fastball.

Lebron
    Participant

6 games on wild card weekend actually sounds terrible.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

If this goes through (along with the 17 game regular season) the lone bye is going to be like a Super Power up from an old Nintendo game :blink: That team will have a big advantage, but maybe that’s what they are going for and making it even easier for the two #1 seed to meet in the Supey. Old Rog may have gotten palpitation when the Titans took an early lead in the AFC championship.

Lebron
    Participant

Then its an uneven schedule, 9 home and 8 away?  Or everyone plays 1 neutral?  17 games just sounds so dumb.  Then you’ll get the bitching about records and who had more home games.  It’s nonsensical

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

They are also talking about only 3 pre-season games so perhaps that is a way to even things out.

Coma
    Participant

Then its an uneven schedule, 9 home and 8 away? Or everyone plays 1 neutral? 17 games just sounds so dumb. Then you’ll get the bitching about records and who had more home games. It’s nonsensical

The 17th game will be a “Fairness Bowl,” with the location and opponent determined by Peter King. Special rules will be in place for Fairness Bowls, all geared toward making the games as dramatic and fair as possible. For example, if an “anonymous rookie” fumbles away Aaron Rodgers’ opportunity at a game winning or tying drive, the turnover will be wiped out and the offense will keep the ball. If there are poor or unpopular officiating calls, these will be reviewed. If it’s something like a tripping call against Dallas, it will be overturned because people just knew that wasn’t right and the Patriots benefited from a call in 2002. Other blown calls will be allowed to stand because human error is part of the game. Lastly, after the game has ended, the losing team will be permitted one final, untimed possession because that’s what competition is all about.

BrianInLA
    Participant

There is talk of playing the odd games at historic sites like Notre Dame stadium or some nonsense like that. I guess because some teams already give up a home game each year for the dumb London/Mexico games and there hasn’t been a lot of backlash yet from the “fairness committee”. Granted its usually lousy teams and the Pats haven’t benefitted from it yet which is probably why no one cares.

As soon as its live and the Pats get the #1 super seed and coast through the playoffs it’ll get changed to either add an 8th playoff team (which is where this has to be going) or back to 6. The last wild card team to make the Super Bowl was the 2011 Giants I believe. May as well add even more crappy teams to the playoffs.

jforb
    Participant

Poes in ’12 were the last team without a bye even I think.

Not sure why I care, certainly not planning my weekend around games anymore.

“The Patriots get six-and-a-half free wins a year.”

chicowalker
    Participant

The ONE thing the NFL gets consistently right is the schedule. Perfect math, no thumbs on the scale (except perhaps bye placement and when they games are, but that seems more random/TV influence)  Who is the 17th opponent going to be?  Are we going to have a rivalry week like they used to do in MLB with interleague? (Remember the glorious Red Sox-Phillies rivalry? First time I ever heard the word “motherfucker” was my father talking about Larry Bowa :rollseyes: :dry: )

You know the league will try to be too cute by half, scheduling games based on Peter King’s “It’s a shame we don’t get to see…” matrix, ignoring the attrition of injury and how about 40% of playoff teams are new every year.  Will they flex out of Pats-Saints when Brees is hurt and the battle of the 40+ year olds is now Brady vs whatever Billy Joe is his backup?

chicowalker
    Participant

And if it doesn’t come to pass that in one of their 9 home game seasons, the sainted Giants/Rams don’t play a road game against the Jets/Chargers, I’ll eat my hat

Participant

If they are going to have an International Game every week – let’s get Rog on a plane over to Wuhain now and have him start scouting locations.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Supposedly over in MLB someone in charge has actually taken Simmons’ idea on the playoffs from way back seriously. They are considering adding more teams but the higher seed would get to choose their opponent and the lower seeds would have to play all of their games on the road during the short 2 out of 3 series. The whole “choosing the opponent” was Simmons idea back around 2011. I just cant believe that anyone on the planet actually listened and thought “Ya, this seems fair and like an awesome idea and wont open a huge can of worms”.

These fragile baseball players are all losing their shit over a team that may have had a tiny advantage over them. Can you imagine the “that’s a slap in our face / disrespectful of the game” the first time a team purposely picks the Yankees as opponent and beats them?

Lebron
    Participant

You’ll also get a bunch of ‘disrespect!’ bullshit if a team picks them as well as ‘see no one wants to play us!’ bullshit if a team doesn’t get picked.  It’s all gimmicky bullshit.  It’s going to be awful.

I used to love how baseball playoffs/postseason was an LCS and a World Series.  I did think the 5 game LCS up until the mid ’80s was a bit too short and the move to 7 was good.  Never really liked adding wildcard teams but I could live with the 1 team.  The play in game shit is a joke.  I used to look at hockey and think it’s a 23 team league and everyone but 7 teams make the playoffs?  Or maybe that was the NBA.  Or both.  I liked it when it was way harder to make the playoffs or like baseball it was win your division or go home.  Heck I’d almost rather go back to leagues and the winners of the league go directly to the World Series.

Lebron
    Participant

Jonathan Lucroy said yeah everyone knew about the Astros and I changed the signs each pitch.  As he notes it made the games longer, which we all know is one of the worst parts of baseball.  Would be interesting in a non Ben Volin way to hear from some other catchers, rather than a bunch of hitters bitching.

BrianInLA
    Participant

I have no idea what this means. Well done rich millenials of the Ringer:

Here’s my favorite thing about the new proposal: If this goes into effect, no NFL team can receive a bye over a team with a better record ever again.

In 2018, the Patriots went 11-5 and received a no. 2 seed over the 12-4 Chargers. That’s because the top four seeds in a conference are reserved for division winners, and the Chargers finished behind the 13-3 Chiefs in the AFC West. That’s how the second-best team in the AFC got the no. 5 seed. Those Chargers lost in the divisional round to a rested Pats team that was playing at home despite having an inferior record.

Under the new system, this couldn’t happen. While it was possible for a team without the second-best record in a conference to get the no. 2 seed, it’s impossible for a team without a conference’s best record to get the no. 1 seed. From now on, there would be more equity with regard to byes.

Of course, under this new format, the 2018 Chargers still would not have gotten a no. 2 seed—they’d still have been the no. 5 seed, and still likely would’ve had to spend the playoffs on the road. But at least they wouldn’t have gotten screwed out of a bye.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Oh and after seeing the extended trailer for the new season of Westworld I am fully convinced that they had a budget of close to a billion dollars. It looks like Transformers meets Gangs of New York.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Weird, unintentional consequences would happen with this proposal as well.

Imagine if the first year a 7-9 Patriots team sneaks in, catches fire and then wins the Super Bowl.

Imagine the two best teams in a conference are tied at 14-2. On the strength of tiebreakers one has to play in the Wild Card. 14-2 Tom Brady gets to sit at home while 14-2 Patrick Mahomes gets upset in the Wild Card Round.

As for the 17th game, there’s no way to come up with a straightfoward rule as to what teams would play what teams from year to year unless you scrap the whole scheduling system. Let’s say you want to add a week in which each team plays the team in the other conference that’s the same placement. So the #1 seed from the AFC the previous season plays the #1 team in the NFC on a neutral field, #2 vs #2, and so on. That’s good, but what if the #1 seeds are already scheduled to play? Are we going to have Baltimore play SF twice in the same year? Out of 16 games it’s going to happen about 1/4 of the time. It will be dumb and contrived.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar